What is your current religious affiliation?
Christianity - Catholic / Orthoox
6.8% (10)
6.8% (10)
Christianity - Protestant / Other
11.6% (17)
11.6% (17)
Islam
0.7% (1)
0.7% (1)
No Religion / Atheist / Agnostic
67.1% (98)
67.1% (98)
Hinduism / Buddhism / Taoism / Confucianism
0.7% (1)
0.7% (1)
Judaism
2.1% (3)
2.1% (3)
Wiccan / Folk Religion
2.7% (4)
2.7% (4)
Other
6.8% (10)
6.8% (10)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Poll: Religious Affiliation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

aww man, I thought this was going to be a poll about polls on religious affiliation, and I was all ready to respond "we don't need any more of these threads." /disappoint :|

Belaam:

thylasos:
Nice work putting Wiccans on and leaving Buddhists off, man. Poor poll work.

So, yeah. I guess I'm picking other on the poll. :p

Actually, I have no idea what happened to my poll. I had an "Eastern religion: Buddhist / Hindu / Confucian" section that isn't showing as an option. Possibly it deleted it as it was so long?

No idea, but my apologies.

No worries. I mean, world-wide you'd get that poll option flooded, but there really aren't that many Buddhists or Confucians (proportionally) in the countries from which the majority of the members of this board originate. More Hindus, but still not a vast number.

From the looks of things, you should have split the nonreligion one. A full two thirds of the poll!

Now, is that because of an actual majority, or is it because atheists tend to pile in when they see a religion topic?

i just clicked other well because my mom was borne catholic as well as my dad but they never got me or my bro baptized because she (they) wanted us to pick our religon that i shouldn't really mater.

I said Protestant as I was raised Lutheran and am a member of a Lutheran Church (which is pretty moderate as far as the sterotype of Christian churches go). However, it is far, FAR more complex than that.

Namely, I dont really believe in the "one true faith". As far as I am concerned from reading holy text of other religions, All people pray to the same God, go to the same Heaven (maybe thier own version, but you get the idea), and only the Truely evil (rapist, murderers, genocideist, etc) go to Hell. I also follow things other than the 10 commandments. Namely, I believe in Karma is the big one.

And really, I dont give a shit what religion you are....just dont insult people for it. That extends to atheist too. Seriously, the whole "God cant be proven by science and thus doesnt exist." thing is pretty annoying. You can still be atheitst, but leave the rest of us to worship our maybe non-existant God in peace, and I promise I wont bring up that Faith is "belief in something that cannot be proven" when you complain.

Captcah: Politically correct

This subject is not.

Atheist, though I'm also an ordained minister of the ULC.

I am not certain of what is true or what is not. I am not currently following any religion, but as far as my beliefs... I don't think that religion is something which should be proved with things like "here is a piece of jebus' cross" or with scientific evidence. I am very curious what the truth about the universe may be in regard to religion, but right now I accept that I am not sure which religion is correct. They could all very well be correct, they could all be incorrect, or they could be correct because people believe in them.

I can accept that any religion is correct, although I would certainly prefer if so-and-so is true rather than some religion based off of buying merchandise or something like that. I am not indifferent to what is true, I'm just not planning on...well...expanding or concentrating my religious beliefs at this time in my life.

Daystar Clarion:

Axolotl:

Daystar Clarion:
I hope there's an after life :D

Just out of curiosity, why do you hope that there's an afterlife?

Because it's not the idea of death that scares me.

It's the idea that it's all just...

Over.

Well think of it this way: If there is nothing after death, you won't be physically able to care.

OT: Atheist through-and-through, personally.

My principle god is Sobek. I deal out daily sacrifices into my pit of crocodiles to appease him and turn away his wrath that would crawl forth from dark rivers and devour me.

But seriously, as cool as ancient gods are, I'm an atheist.

BOOM headshot65:
I said Protestant as I was raised Lutheran and am a member of a Lutheran Church (which is pretty moderate as far as the sterotype of Christian churches go). However, it is far, FAR more complex than that.

Namely, I dont really believe in the "one true faith". As far as I am concerned from reading holy text of other religions, All people pray to the same God, go to the same Heaven (maybe thier own version, but you get the idea), and only the Truely evil (rapist, murderers, genocideist, etc) go to Hell. I also follow things other than the 10 commandments. Namely, I believe in Karma is the big one.

And really, I dont give a shit what religion you are....just dont insult people for it. That extends to atheist too. Seriously, the whole "God cant be proven by science and thus doesnt exist." thing is pretty annoying. You can still be atheitst, but leave the rest of us to worship our maybe non-existant God in peace, and I promise I wont bring up that Faith is "belief in something that cannot be proven" when you complain.

Captcah: Politically correct

This subject is not.

yes fear the almighty karma god haha

Secular Humanist :)

We're like atheists, except with more syllables so it's harder for sanctimonious zealots to bash us :)

renegade7:
Secular Humanist :)

We're like atheists, except with more syllables so it's harder for sanctimonious zealots to bash us :)

Secular? What are you, a Soshulist Commie?!

I was raised Christian (Lutheran). However, my junior year of high school I stopped identifying myself as Christian.

I worship Mars for Pragmatical reasons really because you can count on wars to continue check, and that people need to farm to live check so I know my god exists because some where some one is getting shot/stabbed and or having the best crops in years

N7 Ruiz:
I worship Mars for Pragmatical reasons really because you can count on wars to continue check, and that people need to farm to live check so I know my god exists because some where some one is getting shot/stabbed and or having the best crops in years

You're probably joking, but...
Following that logic, Jesus Christ must be real, because people really were nailed to crosses, Ra must be real because the sun really exists, OT Yahweh must be real, because people keep dying in localized floods, Aphrodite must be real, because plenty of people have sex and are fertile, Thor must be real, because thunder and lightning keep happening...
And so on.
Thing is, you got it backwards: Wars and farming happened and were then attributed to Mars (and plenty of other gods).

Jonluw:
Non-religious.
No religion has presented me with anything that's convinced me to take it up.

That's not really how faith works you know. It's not like a faire where you go to different stands and ask what each religion can offer you. You're either raised into one, have a life-changing moment or seek solace in one if/when at some point you decide there's something missing and you're not sure what.

The way you say it sounds like it's on them to convince you like a mortgage advisor or car salesman.

KingsGambit:

Jonluw:
Non-religious.
No religion has presented me with anything that's convinced me to take it up.

That's not really how faith works you know. It's not like a faire where you go to different stands and ask what each religion can offer you. You're either raised into one, have a life-changing moment or seek solace in one if/when at some point you decide there's something missing and you're not sure what.

The way you say it sounds like it's on them to convince you like a mortgage advisor or car salesman.

Yes, that's how it works for scientifically/empirically/rationally minded people who have not had a worldview pushed upon them from birth.

You're presented with a number of opinions on the nature of the universe. You then try to assess each one's merits and flaws as objectively as possible. Then you decide which one of them, if any, is correct.

Seeking solace in one because you're afraid or suffering or being raised into one is choosing one option because it's the most comfortable. That's not a valid method of examining the nature of the universe.

Jonluw:
You're presented with a number of opinions on the nature of the universe. You then try to assess each one's merits and flaws as objectively as possible. Then you decide which one of them, if any, is correct.

That's not the way faith or religion works. You're trying to make a square peg fit through a round hole.

KingsGambit:

Jonluw:

That's not the way faith or religion works. You're trying to make a square peg fit through a round hole.

I'm telling you that's how it works for someone who's not already affiliated with a religion.

There is one single way to make me believe in a worldview: Presenting me with something that will make me believe. Whether that be empirical evidence, rational arguments, or a personal experience la what happened to Yusuf Islam doesn't matter. There simply is no other way to have someone who isn't indoctrinated from birth start believing in a religion.

No affiliation. Raised Lazy Catholic. Church on holidays and CCD. That was it.

KingsGambit:

Jonluw:

That's how it HAS to work. Even to someone who was raised on particular religion, once they reach the age where they can think for themselves, they HAVE to reassess and look at their religion objectively to see if it still makes sense for them.

It's when they don't do this that we wind up with dangerous religious zealots.

Jonluw:
There simply is no other way to have someone who isn't indoctrinated from birth start believing in a religion.

Just as a religious person might become an atheist, and atheist may become religious. Even if they have been indoctrinated either way from birth.

It happens, life is a strange experience. What I know and believe today might not be what I know and believe tomorrow.

aPod:

Jonluw:
There simply is no other way to have someone who isn't indoctrinated from birth start believing in a religion.

Just as a religious person might become an atheist, and atheist may become religious. Even if they have been indoctrinated either way from birth.

It happens, life is a strange experience. What I know and believe today might not be what I know and believe tomorrow.

Yes, and?
I'm not debating that.
What I'm saying is that it must happen through one of the mechanisms which I presented in my posts (unless I've overlooked some).

You don't just suddenly become religious for no reason without having been presented with a religious idea or come up with your own.

I'm an agnostic atheist.

Hmm, I'm interested in finding the one Muslim person on this forum. That's a rarity, and it would be quite an interesting talk I believe.

Anyways, I suppose this denotes an obligatory "Oh this thread again?"

Oh and five other Catholics (well... And Orthodox)? Interesting....

I was raised in a mix of Baptist and Methodist. At the moment I find myself leaning towards Protestantism.

Skeleon:

N7 Ruiz:

You're probably joking, but...
Following that logic, Jesus Christ must be real, because people really were nailed to crosses, Ra must be real because the sun really exists, OT Yahweh must be real, because people keep dying in localized floods, Aphrodite must be real, because plenty of people have sex and are fertile, Thor must be real, because thunder and lightning keep happening...
And so on.
Thing is, you got it backwards: Wars and farming happened and were then attributed to Mars (and plenty of other gods).

Hey I live in the West so I get to choose what random belief to no belief that I choose. And so do you buddy I never try to push my beliefs on too others but if the system fails then I will become one of those religious loons and you know maybe reinvent my self as the son of Mars man New Vegas had a lot of good ideas post apocalypse here we come!

I see no problem with atheist as long as they shut up and stop being butt-hurt then the Christians will stop being butt hurt. my point comes from if you go to ED and read the atheist article they will say that that article creates more butt-hurt than the one on religions

Atheist have to stop trying to wage a war on You must believe in what I believe and its Christmas or winter solace what ever i am surprised there isn't a group trying to destroy Thanksgiving *rolls eyes*

Technically considered Christian in the same manner that Catholics are technically under the same umbrella as Protestants. I'm Gnostic, though, so I take a far more philosophical approach to my beliefs than anything else.

Also, the next idiot who tells me that I can't be Christian and believe that the world's older than 6000 years or some stupid bullshit will get a fist in the mouth. I am seriously sick of this creationism pseudoscience.

I'm an atheist.

N7 Ruiz:
I see no problem with atheist as long as they shut up and stop being butt-hurt then the Christians will stop being butt hurt. my point comes from if you go to ED and read the atheist article they will say that that article creates more butt-hurt than the one on religions

And that couldn't be because christians in the west are never fucking treated badly because of what they believe or don't believe, but atheists pretty damn often are?

But you will never find anyone in the western world that can match the persecution complex of a white protestant rightwinger.

N7 Ruiz:
Atheist have to stop trying to wage a war on You must believe in what I believe and its Christmas or winter solace what ever i am surprised there isn't a group trying to destroy Thanksgiving *rolls eyes*

That sentence...doesn't make any sense. What are you trying to say?

Naheal:
Technically considered Christian in the same manner that Catholics are technically under the same umbrella as Protestants. I'm Gnostic, though, so I take a far more philosophical approach to my beliefs than anything else.

Are you part of a Gnostic group? Do you have a Gnostic community? Which school of Gnosticism do you follow? How do you reconcile your claim to be "considered Christian" with the fact that most Christian Gnostic groups were declared to be heretics?

I'm not asking these questions to challenge or confront you. I'm genuinely interested in "getting your pamphlet" as it were. I've always thought Gnosticism was pretty interesting because of the diversity of views that seems to fit under the umbrella and for the way that it merged various various religions' doctrines into a coherent whole. If nothing else, it's a fascinating case study in the movement of ideas across cultures in the ancient world. And of course, it's another argument that the model of religion espoused by fundamentalist Christians/Muslims and atheists is not the only model a religion can take. Feel free to send me a private message if you don't care to post your thoughts on the board.

I used to be atheist/agnostic most of my life, but I had a religious epiphany and plan on converting to Catholicism.

SneeringCanuck:
I used to be atheist/agnostic most of my life, but I had a religious epiphany and plan on converting to Catholicism.

C.S. Lewis, is that you?

Katatori-kun:
Are you part of a Gnostic group? Do you have a Gnostic community?

Sort of? Gnostics are rare enough out here where our community consists of a maximum of seven people who get together and discuss spirituality. Truthfully, I've had difficulty locating enough Gnostics to consider myself part of a community or a group. Considering that Salt Lake City's within a day's travel, through, I may drop by an Ecclesia Gnostica parish in the area, but part of me is... hesitant to do so.

Which school of Gnosticism do you follow?

I'm not entirely certain that there's a specific "school" of Gnosticism that would refer to what I follow, so I'll just explain a bit. I've had access to an online Gnostic library and have gone through various books of the Bible, including those found within that library, often removing books that either make no sense (Revelations) or have little to no bearing on myself and my own conduct (Hebrews). Keep in mind that, when dealing with anything spiritual, I think best in symbolism, and, thus, tend to look at the more spiritual books (Such as one of John's) with that same eye.

One major thing to keep in mind: I outright reject anyone who claims to have spiritual authority over me. Arrogant as it may sound, there's one spiritual authority that I'll follow and it isn't something that's in the flesh at the moment.

How do you reconcile your claim to be "considered Christian" with the fact that most Christian Gnostic groups were declared to be heretics?

This has happened before. See: Protestant split from the Catholic church. While the sect is as old as Catholicism itself, it's revival is a very recent thing, so that kind of reaction from a sect that attempted to, and nearly succeeded in, destroying us isn't surprising. In truth, it's a mixed blessing; I have an easy filter for separating people who are genuinely interested from those who are just looking to pick a fight. I consider myself "technically Christian" because I follow the depictions of Jesus that I've found so far and have only found my belief and dedication reinforced as I find more information within Gnostic texts.

I'm not asking these questions to challenge or confront you. I'm genuinely interested in "getting your pamphlet" as it were. I've always thought Gnosticism was pretty interesting because of the diversity of views that seems to fit under the umbrella and for the way that it merged various various religions' doctrines into a coherent whole. If nothing else, it's a fascinating case study in the movement of ideas across cultures in the ancient world. And of course, it's another argument that the model of religion espoused by fundamentalist Christians/Muslims and atheists is not the only model a religion can take. Feel free to send me a private message if you don't care to post your thoughts on the board.

Good questions are supposed to be challenging - don't shy away from them. No belief system or idea should be left unchallenged, otherwise it'll stagnate and die. If you're interested, check the link above for some of the books available, but keep in mind that no "pamphlet" that I'll give out will be even remotely all-inclusive. You'll find differing beliefs from individual to individual, but that's the nature of an experience and growth based belief system.

Axolotl:
Well, it's just so banal really. I mean life is tedious enough as it is but the idea that when it's over you just have to go through it all over again?

I can't imagine anything more boring.

I just find it a bizarre thing to want.

What kind of crappy life have you been living? If I could experience just colors for an eternity I would be ecstatic, let alone the tens of thousands of amazing things my simple senses allow me to experience every day. Life is so awesome, shoot, the other day I was cloud-watching when a helicopter flew by. It was pretty rad, the sounds it made, mixed with the group of children playing behind me, was just cool

Shoot do you want life to end?

ETA: Though I'd like to add I have no belief in an afterlife.

Hafrael:

Axolotl:
Well, it's just so banal really. I mean life is tedious enough as it is but the idea that when it's over you just have to go through it all over again?

I can't imagine anything more boring.

I just find it a bizarre thing to want.

What kind of crappy life have you been living? If I could experience just colors for an eternity I would be ecstatic, let alone the tens of thousands of amazing things my simple senses allow me to experience every day. Life is so awesome, shoot, the other day I was cloud-watching when a helicopter flew by. It was pretty rad, the sounds it made, mixed with the group of children playing behind me, was just cool

Shoot do you want life to end?

ETA: Though I'd like to add I have no belief in an afterlife.

Of course I want life to end. Maybe you don't but that's just not a view I find easy to comprehend. I don't want to sound like some Existentialist whining about ennui, life can be pretty sweet but overall I only find it worthwhile becase eventually it ends.

You want to live forever, fine no buisness of mine but personally give me 25, maybe 30 years and I'll be satisfied.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked