What is the Most Fanatically Irreligious Thing You've Heard?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Disclaimer: Not all (group) are (adjective).

Let's not get into a metaphysical flame war here- I'm of the opinion that some people are simply hate-filled jerks and what they believe is irrelevant (and not causational). Since gay marriage is a popular topic right now, radical theists are taking more heat than usual, so lets shed some light on the other side of the table, so to speak! So Escapists, regardless of your personal beliefs, what is the most intolerant, overzealous, anti-religious statement you have ever heard?

I once heard of a guy (I think it was on this site) who was told that he should be raped by a priest for being "stupid" enough to believe in God. He wasn't even a theist or anything. It was assumed.

Play nice.

"God isn't real"

Deathmageddon:
Play nice.

Batou667:
"God isn't real"

There isn't even any text between the two lines, just the post border. It's... beautiful, in a way.

This thread is just Mod-bait. It's slightly less transparent than asking us to post our hottest pr0nz. This is what Sarah Palin would call a "gotcha" question. Or as Admiral Ackbar would say, "it's a trap!"

Troll my post history and see what pops up, I've been modded a few times. I know at least one of them had to do with people believing silly things.

"Religious people need to be cleansed/should be killed."
To be fair, I only heard that as supposedly being spouted by some Anti-Theists second-hand from religious people. I haven't ever heard an Anti-Theist say it, although somewhere in this big world, a few probably did say it.

EDIT: In regards to things I actually know Anti-Theists have said?
"Religious people are morally bankrupt, religious people are stupid, idiotic, crazy, insanse."
Stuff like that.

EDIT:

Ultrajoe:
There isn't even any text between the two lines, just the post border. It's... beautiful, in a way.

I... don't get it. It's an example that he's posting. He's saying he hasn't heard more extreme things than that. Is that the thing you consider "not playing nice"?

To be honest I've never really heard any statements of hate against religion as a whole that were unprovoked. Sure, some people who are persecuted and hated get mad sometimes, but how does that not make sense? If you've been nagged by extremist missionaries slinging insults at you at your favourite music festival for an hour, you're going to say things which are less than nice. Might even take a picture of them, a church and add the text "The vikings didn't do enough" for a meme, but spontaneous resentment? No, never saw it.

I have the idea that 'anti-theism' exists mostly in the fantasies of religious people with a persecution complex.

Someone calling all Muslims hateful. What's more disturbing is that the vast majority of people agreed with this statement, and I got torn to shreds in the comments for arguing against this.

Someone on this forum called raising a child in a religion child abuse and proclaimed that religious parents should have their children taken from them.

I've also heard various "edgy" posters skirt saying something that would even prompt this board's moderators to action by saying things like, "The world would be better if there were no religious people." You know, leaving it left unsaid just how we should get to that state.

Katatori-kun:
Someone on this forum called raising a child in a religion child abuse and proclaimed that religious parents should have their children taken from them.

I've also heard various "edgy" posters skirt saying something that would even prompt this board's moderators to action by saying things like, "The world would be better if there were no religious people." You know, leaving it left unsaid just how we should get to that state.

Someone who disagrees with the death penalty can also assert that the world would be better if there were no murderers. I can see why you get so inflamed about these posts if you're insisting on assuming the worst, though. However, that is your fault and your fault alone. Only you can address your own prejudices.

Blablahb:
I have the idea that 'anti-theism' exists mostly in the fantasies of religious people with a persecution complex.

Oh, it exists, only not in the fashion that people who like to bash antitheists think. But, of course, reality doesn't matter to most humans, they want something to hate, and it's very popular to bash antitheists.

Seanchaidh:
Someone who disagrees with the death penalty can also assert that the world would be better if there were no murderers. I can see why you get so inflamed about these posts if you're insisting on assuming the worst, though. However, that is your fault and your fault alone. Only you can address your own prejudices.

I must say, I do believe that the world would most certainly be a better place if there were no religious people whatsoever. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone who is religious would be dead, only that they would start requiring empirical evidence for their beliefs.

Elcarsh:

Seanchaidh:

I must say, I do believe that the world would most certainly be a better place if there were no religious people whatsoever. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone who is religious would be dead, only that they would start requiring empirical evidence for their beliefs.

I would tend to agree that everyone adopting a more skeptical attitude toward unfounded claims would be a good thing. Naturally, the only way to get people to change their minds is by killing them-- and that should certainly be the first approach assumed: the marketplace of ideas is really more of a slaughterhouse. Whenever I advocate naturalism, my paragraphs are carefully designed to quickly kill off any reader who disagrees. Obviously there's no other way to reach these people!

Some very rude, disgusting things about Mary and Joseph, something I'd rather not go into detail about.

In all honesty I think that Anti-Theists can be worse then even some of the most crazy Theists.

Witty Name Here:
Some very rude, disgusting things about Mary and Joseph, something I'd rather not go into detail about.

In all honesty I think that Anti-Theists can be worse then even some of the most crazy Theists.

Nah. All extremists are equally capable of wrong-doing, regardless of which team they're on. And anti-theists are not all extremists who actively attack religious ideas.

Witty Name Here:

That is an insane insult considering the lack (or at least extreme rarity?) of church-bombing Anti-Theists. I can understand that you get pissed off by the more aggressive or more demeaning Anti-Theists, but how that could ever warrant a comment like yours is utterly beyond me, considering the very real threat of violent religious extremism.

Skeleon:

That is an insane insult considering the lack (or at least extreme rarity?) of church-bombing Anti-Theists. I can understand that you get pissed off by the more aggressive or more demeaning Anti-Theists, but how that could ever warrant a comment like yours is utterly beyond me, considering the very real threat of violent religious extremism.

Well it appears I set off a landmine on that one.

I wasn't referring to Extremism (in the sense of murder and suicide bombings), but "Crazy" in the sense of the Westboro Baptist Church, a bunch of Jackasses who go around screeching their beliefs and telling everyone they're going to hell.

I never said "All anti theists are suicide bombing nutjobs" and in all honesty I think you're overreacting... A lot.

Plus, while there is a lack of Anti Theists bombing churches compared to Zealots bombing temples or something along those lines, that doesn't make Anti-Theists any less threatening then religious extremists. I've had those people call me brainwashed, I had one of them even say that "Killing religious people would be a mercy" so before you go off on some tangent defending them, just know that they're just as willing to screech and threaten death to anyone with even the vaguest form of religious beliefs.

Katatori-kun:

I remember that thread, ah those where epic days, flame wars that consumed the entire forum.

Witty Name Here:
I wasn't referring to Extremism (in the sense of murder and suicide bombings), but "Crazy" in the sense of the Westboro Baptist Church, a bunch of Jackasses who go around screeching their beliefs and telling everyone they're going to hell.

How often do you get antitheists telling you you deserve eternal suffering? I'm betting it doesn't happen THAT often.

Witty Name Here:
Plus, while there is a lack of Anti Theists bombing churches compared to Zealots bombing temples or something along those lines, that doesn't make Anti-Theists any less threatening then religious extremists.

Bull-shit! There is simply no similarity whatsoever. You are talking about people who have no reason to harm anyone, and comparing them to people who blow themselves up to murder children. In what twisted dimension does that make any kind of sense?

Witty Name Here:
I've had those people call me brainwashed

Excuse me if I don't regard it as the greatest of tragedies that someone called you brainwashed. Of course, it's a severe exagerration; most people use the term wrongly, but it is inescapable that most people only believe what they believe because they were indoctrinated to believe it.

Witty Name Here:
I had one of them even say that "Killing religious people would be a mercy" so before you go off on some tangent defending them, just know that they're just as willing to screech and threaten death to anyone with even the vaguest form of religious beliefs.

I'm not really that keen to take your word for it. Trusting you to give a fair and unbiased representation of a person's whole character based on one supposed statement not backed up by proof or given any context whatsoever would be silly of me.

The most extreme was probably "Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." but that's directed at other groups as well so I'm not sure if it counts.

Watch some Pat Condell, especially his later videos focusing on Islam. You'll hear a lot of this type of thing.

Elcarsh:
How often do you get antitheists telling you you deserve eternal suffering? I'm betting it doesn't happen THAT often.

I meant that they're both Jackasses who condemn you according to their beliefs. The WBC screams that people are going to hell for their sins, and most Anti-Theists I've seen generally just moan on and on about people being "Brainwashed" or saying that it's "Child Abuse" to induct a child into a religion at a young age. In the end, calling a person an "Idiot" or a "Child Abuser" is about on par insult wise as saying they're going to rot in hell.

Bull-shit! There is simply no similarity whatsoever. You are talking about people who have no reason to harm anyone, and comparing them to people who blow themselves up to murder children. In what twisted dimension does that make any kind of sense?

No reason to harm anyone? They believe that Religions are inherently evil and are purposely holding the world back from reaching it's true potential, that sounds like as much a reason to harm someone as "Eternal Paradise and an Afterlife". Anti-Theists, generally, don't move themselves to violent action as much as religious extremists, but in the end I find them to be on the same level as the westboro baptist church.

In truth, I find Anti-Theism to be an inherently bigoted, intolerant ideology to it's very core. Honestly saying "You're a bad person because you believe something different then me!" Is about as intolerant as saying "You're a bad person because you have a different skin color then me!" Beliefs are what make you what you are, and Anti-Theism is one of an ever smaller number of groups that are officially and almost purposely intolerant to any belief that isn't their own.

Excuse me if I don't regard it as the greatest of tragedies that someone called you brainwashed. Of course, it's a severe exagerration; most people use the term wrongly, but it is inescapable that most people only believe what they believe because they were indoctrinated to believe it.

Yes and I believe what I believe, I don't call people "brainwashed" for it.

I'm not really that keen to take your word for it. Trusting you to give a fair and unbiased representation of a person's whole character based on one supposed statement not backed up by proof or given any context whatsoever would be silly of me.

And from what I've seen you seem to adore anti-theists/possibly are one yourself, so I'm not keen on "repenting" my argument either.

Esotera:
Someone calling all Muslims hateful. What's more disturbing is that the vast majority of people agreed with this statement, and I got torn to shreds in the comments for arguing against this.

Read the Qur'an and enjoy all the long, frequent and sadistic talk of what awaits unbelievers in the hereafter.

Witty Name Here:

Let me guess, that they were both biological parents to a child that was called Jesus?

Boris Goodenough:

Witty Name Here:

Let me guess, that they were both biological parents to a child that was called Jesus?

No. Once more, I didn't want to go into it but I'll just say this, it involved rape, prostitution, and incest. I find all those to be topics not fit for normal conversation, and when referring to those two in such a sense, I find it utterly disgusting to the deepest levels of depravity.

"All wars are because of religion." Come on now! That's just extremely ignorant and most people I've asked to name three wars of religion other than the Crusades can't name one...though I do get the occasional 30 Years War. That is the most 'irreligious' thing I've heard.

Witty Name Here:

Boris Goodenough:

Witty Name Here:

No. Once more, I didn't want to go into it but I'll just say this, it involved rape, prostitution, and incest. I find all those to be topics not fit for normal conversation, and when referring to those two in such a sense, I find it utterly disgusting to the deepest levels of depravity.

Between this and putting being called "brainwashed" on the same level as de-gaying therapy and the other sorts of things Christians do to LGBT people, and I'm really happy your "vacation" in my religion was a short one. You need a thicker skin to be Heathen.

Polarity27:

Witty Name Here:

Boris Goodenough:

Between this and putting being called "brainwashed" on the same level as de-gaying therapy and the other sorts of things Christians do to LGBT people, and I'm really happy your "vacation" in my religion was a short one. You need a thicker skin to be Heathen.

maybe in europe you do. now before jumping on me we Americans have little to no understanding of paganistic religions. the closest one that people somewhat understand is wicca and even then its just considered hippie/goth stuff for children and not regarded seriously. most Americans don't even know that some of the Norse religions have racist connotations to them. now sure some people will call you demon worshiping sinners but thats probably gonna be fundies, other more serious religious (not exactly fundies but something close)people will probably write pagans off as childish and no one else would give a shit.

Polarity27:

First off, I never once, at any point, claimed being called "Brainwashed" was on the same level of "degaying therapy", secondly all you have are vague assumptions on what the "story" was about. Tell me, if you had someone make a mocking story in which that someone you care deeply about or look up to was raped then made into that persons "bitch" then when a child came along he began to rape the person also. In between wanting to punch the person who told the story in the teeth, would you not be offended? I made a simple statement, that I personally believe Anti-Theists are about on the same level as zealous evangelical christians, yet I might as well have said "I murder babies and am trying to build a death camp" with some of the reactions I got. If anything you have an incredibly weak skin if you're offended by a simple statement like that.

But since it seems this thread has begun to bring the worst out of me (and by the look of your, Boris, and Elcarsh's posts it looks like some people want to see me go mad) I can only guess that trying to be reasonable and diplomatic is something you can't seem to grasp, so I'm just going to end it here with a "screw you" to most people. I'm glad my interest in your backwards old folk faith died off relatively quickly, it seems that a great deal of people on these boards support bigotry and intolerance as long as it's "sticking it to the filthy christian masses", it's such a wonderful thing to know that underneath all that pompous talk of being "enlightened and reasonable" some Atheists can just be as zealous and mad as the christians they love to insult so dearly.

Well, so long and farewell Escapist. From the R&P forums to the Off-Topic, this is my goodbye. With one special "Screw You" to Polarity, Elcarsh, and Skeleon.

Witty Name Here:

Nice of you to qualify that now. When I hear "some of the most crazy Theists", I don't think of the WBC, just so you know. Because as annoying and insulting as the WBC get, they are - to my knowledge - completely and utterly non-violent and thus, themselves, not among "some of the most crazy Theists" either. You actually get me to defend the WBC here because of your sweeping statements, but it has to be said.

I never said "All anti theists are suicide bombing nutjobs" and in all honesty I think you're overreacting... A lot.

I don't think I ever said you did. But your false equivalence of "Anti-Theist extremists" and "some of the most crazy Theists" is what I'm calling you out on, not some imaginery quote.

Plus, while there is a lack of Anti Theists bombing churches compared to Zealots bombing temples or something along those lines, that doesn't make Anti-Theists any less threatening then religious extremists. I've had those people call me brainwashed, I had one of them even say that "Killing religious people would be a mercy" so before you go off on some tangent defending them, just know that they're just as willing to screech and threaten death to anyone with even the vaguest form of religious beliefs.

Oh yes, it abso-fucking-lutely does mean that. How is a bad old meany-head as threatening as actual violent bombing zealots? Oh, somebody said something offensive, dumb or even used violent rhetoric? Well, how awful of them (and I actually do mean that, it is awful, but there's much, much worse also)! Because saying that religious people should be killed is just as bad and threatening as actually killing religious people. Because saying stupid shit is just as threatening as the actual precedent of people following through on that stupid shit.

I don't doubt there are Anti-Theists "willing to screech and threaten death to anyone with even the vaguest form of religious beliefs", rare as that specific kind of Anti-Theist may be, but until there are concerted efforts by Anti-Theists to murder those people THEY ARE NOT EQUIVALENT (neither in action nor in threat) BY HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF LIGHTYEARS! Are you really that offended by Anti-Theist jerks saying insulting things that you can't even remember the old adage of "sticks and stones"?

So yes, maybe you stepped on a landmine there. But it looks like you are now trying to step on every single one in the entire mine field. Because you're not making it any better here, especially that last paragraph of yours.

EDIT:

Well, so long and farewell Escapist. From the R&P forums to the Off-Topic, this is my goodbye. With one special "Screw You" to Polarity, Elcarsh, and Skeleon.

Well, see you then. I particularly enjoyed how in one single post you completely blighted the notion you tried to establish of yourself exploring and learning about other faiths and now simply shrug them off as "backwards old folk faith", while basically setting yourself squarely on the one true religion-throne. Guess that little exploration accomplished little to nothing. Why are you leaving Offtopic, though? Just wondering. I'm not over there, but I'd imagine the topics (and thus the offended sensibilities) would be very different.

Katatori-kun:

1. That was from Richard Dawkins.

2. I think that's also from Richard Dawkins.

Axolotl:
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

That is probably the most hilarious quote I ever read. It would be true, if we still followed the old European monarchy system that enforced a theocracy.

Witty Name Here:
I'm glad my interest in your backwards old folk faith died off

What the fuck, dude. That's as about as bigoted as you can get. Christianity isn't exactly higher then any other faith...

Witty Name Here:

Polarity27:

First off, I never once, at any point, claimed being called "Brainwashed" was on the same level of "degaying therapy", secondly all you have are vague assumptions on what the "story" was about. Tell me, if you had someone make a mocking story in which that someone you care deeply about or look up to was raped then made into that persons "bitch" then when a child came along he began to rape the person also.

In case you hadn't noticed, Thor and the Avengers are one of the biggest fandoms around. Have you ever heard of a "kink meme"? My Gods are comic book characters who routinely star in some of the strangest porn you've ever heard of-- and yes, that includes a lot of rape. If I got offended at all of it, instead of getting offended at *real* things happening to *real* people in the actual world, I'd be mad all damn day.

I reiterate-- if the worst that's ever happened to you because of your religion is being shown what sounds like an over-the-top trolling story and being called "brainwashed", then yes, you have a thin skin. I lost a promotion over the mere rumor of mine. I've known people who lost their kids because of their religion. Christian, *please*.

I made a simple statement, that I personally believe Anti-Theists are about on the same level as zealous evangelical christians, yet I might as well have said "I murder babies and am trying to build a death camp" with some of the reactions I got. If anything you have an incredibly weak skin if you're offended by a simple statement like that.

Again, Christian, please. We're calling you out on your complete cluelessness at your own level of privilege. When antitheists start passing laws to ban adoption by Christian couples, to ban marriage of Christians, to force Christians into therapy to force the Christian out of them, to say that Christians should be *stoned to death* for being Christian, to form superPACs to enforce their idea of morality on the world, then maybe I'll concede the point. Until then, you have a comparison between a bunch of internet and media loudmouths and people with actual power causing actual damage.

But since it seems this thread has begun to bring the worst out of me (and by the look of your, Boris, and Elcarsh's posts it looks like some people want to see me go mad)

I can't speak for Elcarsh or Boris, I'd just like to see you wake the fuck up a little and look at the world around you and the power dynamics in it.

I'm glad my interest in your backwards old folk faith died off relatively quickly

Ah, there it is, how you actually feel. You know, I always wondered why it was that I'd write long informative posts answering your questions about Heathenry and you never answered a one of them. I took you at your word that your interest was genuine, looks like I was wrong.

This right here? Is why a lot of people, me included, don't trust Christians. See, that "reasonable and supporting of diversity" thing is a very, very thin veneer with most of you, as you just proved so eloquently with your four-word dismissal of my religion. You folks are fine with sharing, so long as you've got all the power and you're doling out crumbs. But when Atheists and Pagans want to treat you like an equal, including calling you on your privilege when need be, the real triumphalist comes out. The One True Religion, and the rest may bow and bend the knee.

3/10 flounce, I've seen much better.

Scientology. *Cue laugh track*

I've gotten a lot of weird ones, from being told that I need to be "beaten to death" for believing that a higher power exists to being told that my sect was full of Satan worshiping, maniacal murderers to being told that the very idea of questioning God was blasphemy.

I'm only making one of those up. You get to figure out which.

Witty Name Here:
I'm glad my interest in your backwards old folk faith died off relatively quickly, it seems that a great deal of people on these boards support bigotry and intolerance as long as it's "sticking it to the filthy christian masses", it's such a wonderful thing to know that underneath all that pompous talk of being "enlightened and reasonable" some Atheists can just be as zealous and mad as the christians they love to insult so dearly.

What the fuck, dude. What the he--

Witty Name Here:

...fine, whatever. If you're going to keep your mind closed to new ideas, then this may be the best choice for you for a while, especially in the R&P forums. If and when you do come back, I hope that civility and patience returns to you. Take care of yourself.

Witty Name Here:

Elcarsh:

I meant that they're both Jackasses who condemn you according to their beliefs. The WBC screams that people are going to hell for their sins, and most Anti-Theists I've seen generally just moan on and on about people being "Brainwashed" or saying that it's "Child Abuse" to induct a child into a religion at a young age. In the end, calling a person an "Idiot" or a "Child Abuser" is about on par insult wise as saying they're going to rot in hell.

No reason to harm anyone? They believe that Religions are inherently evil and are purposely holding the world back from reaching it's true potential, that sounds like as much a reason to harm someone as "Eternal Paradise and an Afterlife". Anti-Theists, generally, don't move themselves to violent action as much as religious extremists, but in the end I find them to be on the same level as the westboro baptist church.

In truth, I find Anti-Theism to be an inherently bigoted, intolerant ideology to it's very core. Honestly saying "You're a bad person because you believe something different then me!" Is about as intolerant as saying "You're a bad person because you have a different skin color then me!" Beliefs are what make you what you are, and Anti-Theism is one of an ever smaller number of groups that are officially and almost purposely intolerant to any belief that isn't their own.

Yes and I believe what I believe, I don't call people "brainwashed" for it.

And from what I've seen you seem to adore anti-theists/possibly are one yourself, so I'm not keen on "repenting" my argument either.

Witty Name Here:

Polarity27:

First off, I never once, at any point, claimed being called "Brainwashed" was on the same level of "degaying therapy", secondly all you have are vague assumptions on what the "story" was about. Tell me, if you had someone make a mocking story in which that someone you care deeply about or look up to was raped then made into that persons "bitch" then when a child came along he began to rape the person also. In between wanting to punch the person who told the story in the teeth, would you not be offended? I made a simple statement, that I personally believe Anti-Theists are about on the same level as zealous evangelical christians, yet I might as well have said "I murder babies and am trying to build a death camp" with some of the reactions I got. If anything you have an incredibly weak skin if you're offended by a simple statement like that.

But since it seems this thread has begun to bring the worst out of me (and by the look of your, Boris, and Elcarsh's posts it looks like some people want to see me go mad) I can only guess that trying to be reasonable and diplomatic is something you can't seem to grasp, so I'm just going to end it here with a "screw you" to most people. I'm glad my interest in your backwards old folk faith died off relatively quickly, it seems that a great deal of people on these boards support bigotry and intolerance as long as it's "sticking it to the filthy christian masses", it's such a wonderful thing to know that underneath all that pompous talk of being "enlightened and reasonable" some Atheists can just be as zealous and mad as the christians they love to insult so dearly.

Diplomatic? Bollocks.

False-equivalency bullshit from start to finish.

Yeah, you really rose above it all there!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked