Gay Republican Presidential Candidate Gets Flaming e-mail while in Utah.

Linky Here.
In other news water is wet, the sky is blue, and funny third thing.

In all seriousness there are gay republicans?! What the hell? That just seems like being a black klan member.

Edit: Just to add some discussion value what do you guys think about this? Agree? Disagree? Am I right on the money or is there something wonderful and beautiful about voting against yourself that I'm just missing?

..I presume the title of this thread is not a clever or intentionally clever pun?

Also.. yep. Sounds about what would happen. Yep..

ShadowsofHope:
..I presume the title of this thread is not a clever or intentionally clever pun?

It's a pun. I leave whether or not its clever up to you and the other forum-ites.

ragestreet:
Linky Here.

In all seriousness there are gay republicans?! What the hell? That just seems like being a black klan member.

Yes, they exist. See "Log Cabin Republicans" and Sadly. No!'s ongoing series of reviews of the writings of America's Dumbest Homosexual(tm).

(Captcha says "Thick and thin". I suppose tribal loyalty IS rather a big deal, even to people whose own tribe has deemed them unclean...)

It's pretty bad someone harasses him, it's even worse when they claim they're Conservative but can't spell "Conservative" right.

But yah social issues don't really go by party, it was that way with Civil Rights with the Democrats having the biggest racists in their party all the while they were passing Civil Rights Legislation.

To be honest when I first saw this article pop up the first thing i thought wasn't "Well that's not news" or "there are gay republicans?". Nope. All I could think was "There is a gay republican presidential candidate? HOW THE HELL HAVE I NOT HEARD OF HIM?"

arbane:

ragestreet:
Linky Here.

Yes, they exist. See "Log Cabin Republicans" and Sadly. No!'s ongoing series of reviews of the writings of America's Dumbest Homosexual(tm).

(Captcha says "Thick and thin". I suppose tribal loyalty IS rather a big deal, even to people whose own tribe has deemed them unclean...)

Why bring up LCR when you can talk about GOProud!

They are my most favorite troll organization. HomoCon? Ann Coulter? Fundraising for a hotel to counteract the gay community boycott on it? HA.

EDIT: I would also like to bring to everyone's attention Fred Karger's book. Titled: "Fred Who?"

ragestreet:

To be fair, gay rights isn't what western civilization revolves around. One could be opposed to that segment of the republican platform and still support the other bits.

I like how he didn't sugar coat his response with politi-speak. It was simply "she is not a lone nut, every person who is Mormon is just as bad."

Probably a tad sweeping, but a talkable point.

Warforger:
But yah social issues don't really go by party, it was that way with Civil Rights with the Democrats having the biggest racists in their party all the while they were passing Civil Rights Legislation.

Because what happened back in the 1960s is TOTALLY RELEVANT now.

which means the Willie Horton ad and Nixon's Southern Strategy are ALSO relevant, and a lot more recent, RIGHT?

Warforger:

That's not comparable and you should know it. Social issues used to not go by party. Now they definitely do.

Istvan:

ragestreet:

To be fair, gay rights isn't what western civilization revolves around. One could be opposed to that segment of the republican platform and still support the other bits.

Meh. It, along with anti-abortion and economic radicalism, is what the current-day GOP revolves around. In 2000, this was more viable. Now? I don't see it, the party base is shot-through with people who want to destroy anything resembling gay rights.

Karger's really someone. I mean, pushing egalitarianism among republicans, from a perspective of gay rights no less. That guy seems to be fighting an uphill battle, but still it's commendable he undertakes it.

Anyway, what an epic troll that housewife was. That even her command of English fails her is really more ironic than anyone would've wished for. I guess that next to 'libruls', we can also add 'conseritaves' to the US ultra-right dictionary.

Blablahb:
I guess that next to 'libruls', we can also add 'conseritaves' to the US ultra-right dictionary.

Google brings back 863 results for that.

Personally, I think it's a cool sounding word, vaguely latin.

Or at least it'd sound cool it Daniel Radcliffe was yelling it dramatically in 3d.

thaluikhain:
Or at least it'd sound cool it Daniel Radcliffe was yelling it dramatically in 3d.

Great, now you've given me visions of Harry Potter screaming stuff like 'conseritavus malicius disappearis' at Sarah Palin, thank you.

On behalf of every sane resident of Utah, I'd like to apologize to the rest of the world. Not just for this incident, mind, but for everything our stupid government and the Mormon church have ever done. Now...will someone PLEASE help me get out of here!?

Polarity27:

Meh. It, along with anti-abortion and economic radicalism, is what the current-day GOP revolves around. In 2000, this was more viable. Now? I don't see it, the party base is shot-through with people who want to destroy anything resembling gay rights.

I'm not disagreeing that the Republican Party is against gay rights, I'm saying that their other positions may still appeal to certain gay voters. These are not likely to be energized by the overall campaign however, and while it may seem like a bad and unrealistic choice to make for gays to vote republican, being gay doesn't exclude you from making bad choices.

Personally I'm more perplexed why half of the American electorate is clamouring for economic suicide but that's just me.

Fred Karger was the Republican Presidential Candidate I supported, but I knew he really couldn't win, and when I learned Gary Johnson was running as the Libertarian Guy, I basically jumped ship to him. I feel sorry for what happened to Fred, Especially since the guy who Fred gave the stuff to was more then happy to have his stuff, and that his Wife was the intolerant one in all of this.

However, if you think A Gay Republican Presidential Candidate is surprising, then this openly gay Republican who's running for Congress must make your guys jaw drop, especially since he's actually the one running against the Democrat Congressman John F. Tierney.

Istvan:

Personally I'm more perplexed why half of the American electorate is clamouring for economic suicide but that's just me.

"Democracy is two lambs and a wolf voting on what's for dinner, but one of the lambs has seen too many ads from the mutton lobby."

TLS14:
On behalf of every sane resident of Utah, I'd like to apologize to the rest of the world. Not just for this incident, mind, but for everything our stupid government and the Mormon church have ever done. Now...will someone PLEASE help me get out of here!?

We sent an airlift, but lost it when it passed over a militia compound. You're on your own...

On topic: He knew he didn't have a snowball's chance below a Saturn V rocket in getting the nomination. I just find it disappointing he didn't even make it to the debates that your cable news media was so despairingly scraping the bottom of the barrel of.

Warforger:

I've studied politics and can tell you why that is no longer relevant.

In that era blue collar workers voted Democrat. It was a non question, they voted Democrat.
That has changed... opinions now vary from person to person and the emphasis on wealth dropped off of a cliff. People who once voted Democrat vote Republican because they and their parents were alienated by the Socially "liberal" Democrats.

In short, then was then, now is now. The playing field has changed.

Blablahb:
Karger's really someone. I mean, pushing egalitarianism among republicans, from a perspective of gay rights no less. That guy seems to be fighting an uphill battle, but still it's commendable he undertakes it.

Oh yeah, the BBC invited him over on Hard Talk to ask him the question... "lol wut, you seriously you think you have a hope?" about a year ago.

Here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/9496220.stm

A 2 min clip.

I'd love like to meet the guy and pat him on the back shake his hand.
Brilliant guy who deserves every drop ounce of respect you can have for a guy.
Certainly more than I'm giving him in these 3 sentences.

Comando96:

Here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/9496220.stm

A 2 min clip.

I'd love like to meet the guy and pat him on the back shake his hand.
Brilliant guy who deserves every drop ounce of respect you can have for a guy.
Certainly more than I'm giving him in these 3 sentences.

Elect this man. NOW.

ragestreet:

That's a straw man.

I don't like the US republicans either but this is just stupid generalizing.

Stagnant:

Warforger:

That's not comparable and you should know it. Social issues used to not go by party. Now they definitely do.

Oh do they? Because last I checked Democrat stronghold California outlawed Gay Marriage.

arbane:

Warforger:

Because what happened back in the 1960s is TOTALLY RELEVANT now.

which means the Willie Horton ad and Nixon's Southern Strategy are ALSO relevant, and a lot more recent, RIGHT?

Oh it wasn't just Civil Rights, it was also secession, progressives, war. For example in the Election of 1860 some Democrats didn't support secession and the party broke down into north and southern sections, in terms of progressivism there's Woodrow Wilson, Theodore Roosevelt and Taft all of who were members of either the Republican or Democrat party, or say the Mexican American war the Democrats were responsible for it and many Whigs attacked the war, but then again the top commanders such as Zachary Taylor and Winfield Scott were also Whigs, that's not even mentioning the Vietnam war in which Democrats held the biggest supporters AND the biggest opponents of the war. If you notice all of those issues transcended party lines, how is this any different?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked