Republican wants media to stop covering poor people

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Vegosiux:

Jeremy Meadows:

How is robbing people just because they have more then you and grocery carrying even remotely close of a arguement?

Did you just go "ZOMG TAXES IS THEFT!!!"? I think you did. Sorry, but until you actually start reading what people write, I don't think we have much more to discuss.

And yes it is fair.

Reiterating, it's not, and it's been explained why it's not.

You guys dont' dont like that fact that some people make more money then you.

At this point I shall politely request that you stop telling me what I like or don't like. I'm a better authority on that subject, so I think you should cease and desist.

Oh. Did I say theift? Sorry, let me use a word your more familer with. Redistribution. There. feel better?

Jeremy Meadows:

Oh. Did I say theift? Sorry, let me use a word your more familer with. Redistribution. There. feel better?

Oh quit it with the patronizing. We both know this isn't about me feeling good or bad. If you have an actual point I can discuss that, but if you're going about how progressive tax "robs" people, I'm not sure there's much of a discussion to be had. Especially not if you're going to conclude with wild presumptions about people you know nothing about.

Jeremy Meadows:

Also i'm not anti-labour, or anti-economy. Quite the oppostie. I want unions broken down to the point where they are are what they are first created for. Protecting workers from unsafe places, unethically treatment, etc. I do not want and should not have my hard earned dollars being taken away to help pay for people being paid to protest something I agree with and not have to work. And I want the free market system to be freed from goverment take overs and regulations.

Ah, good timing! I just read this today, and wanted to lay it on someone.

Misery needs company: The American Worker's Hostility Toward Unions:
The correct response to this from a non-unionized worker should be, 'Damn, that sounds like a sweet deal; how do I get a piece of the action?' At which point, he responds favorably the next time a union organizer contacts him, fills out the election card, and welcomes the NLRB to make sure the NLRA is properly implemented in his workplace.

Of course, none of that happens. The average American worker's response is, 'How dare people organize themselves into collective bargaining units to resist the almost unlimited powers of employers and ensure a better deal for themselves?' At which point, he throws his weight behind every anti-union force that he can find, thus conspiring against his own economic interests.

The sad truth is that the American working class has been convinced to look beyond itself, to not think of itself as a working class, but rather as one that is headed elsewhere, to the magical land of the 1%, except that they don't have tickets, will be refused visas if they apply, and if they ever make it past the border guards, will promptly be deported. It has been taught to disdain its current status in the interests of continual aspiration with no regard whatsoever for all those forces that work-overtime-to make sure their aspirations are foiled.

It makes me sad whenever I wake up and realize people still believe in the American Dream.

Why do people actively fight against their own interests?

protip: YOU WILL NEVER BE THAT WEALTHY.

Hafrael:
It makes me sad whenever I wake up and realize people still believe in the American Dream.

Why do people actively fight against their own interests?

protip: YOU WILL NEVER BE THAT WEALTHY.

Oh come now, there's certainly 0,0000000001% chance to become that rich! See? It is possible! Live the American Dream...

Anyone remember one of the first levels in Fallout 3 New Vegas, where those Caesar/bandit guys held an entire town hostage. Then they told 'em they'd kill everyone, except the lucky guy to win the lottery... so nobody resisted, hoping they would get the winning ticket.

arbane:

Jeremy Meadows:

Also i'm not anti-labour, or anti-economy. Quite the oppostie. I want unions broken down to the point where they are are what they are first created for. Protecting workers from unsafe places, unethically treatment, etc. I do not want and should not have my hard earned dollars being taken away to help pay for people being paid to protest something I agree with and not have to work. And I want the free market system to be freed from goverment take overs and regulations.

Ah, good timing! I just read this today, and wanted to lay it on someone.

Misery needs company: The American Worker's Hostility Toward Unions:
The correct response to this from a non-unionized worker should be, 'Damn, that sounds like a sweet deal; how do I get a piece of the action?' At which point, he responds favorably the next time a union organizer contacts him, fills out the election card, and welcomes the NLRB to make sure the NLRA is properly implemented in his workplace.

Of course, none of that happens. The average American worker's response is, 'How dare people organize themselves into collective bargaining units to resist the almost unlimited powers of employers and ensure a better deal for themselves?' At which point, he throws his weight behind every anti-union force that he can find, thus conspiring against his own economic interests.

The sad truth is that the American working class has been convinced to look beyond itself, to not think of itself as a working class, but rather as one that is headed elsewhere, to the magical land of the 1%, except that they don't have tickets, will be refused visas if they apply, and if they ever make it past the border guards, will promptly be deported. It has been taught to disdain its current status in the interests of continual aspiration with no regard whatsoever for all those forces that work-overtime-to make sure their aspirations are foiled.

Wow, couldn't be more wrong even if it tried to be. First off I have no problem with workers organizing to protect themselves. What I am agaisnt is when they take my money to pay workers to not work and to protest, take my money and give it to canditates I don't support, protect workers that should be fired. And want outrageous pay rates for jobs that don't derserve it. That's what I'm agaisnt. Oh and I do work in a union just fyi.

Jeremy Meadows:
How is robbing people just because they have more then you and grocery carrying even remotely close of a arguement?

It's called an analogy. There is a certain burden to carry - the burden of government. Do you deny that this burden is shared among the citizens? The analogy here is pointing out that, when you're sharing the burden of something with someone far weaker than you, it only makes sense that you take up more of it.

And yes it is fair.

Two reasons it isn't:
1. The rich pay, procentually, a tiny sliver of their income on basic needs like food and housing relative to the middle and lower classes
2. The rich get far more out of the system enabled and supported by the government. The roads everyone drive on? The guy with a fleet of 18-wheelers needed to transport product is using it more (and getting more out of it) than the guy driving a geo. The guy with a gigantic, smoke-spewing factory is getting more usage out of the common airspace and environment, and profiting from it more than the guy with one house and one car. The guy who employs hundreds of educated workers is getting WAY more than his own personal contribution to the educational system out of it. I'd quote Elizabeth Warren here, but that'd probably make you shrivel up like a vampire in the daylight.

Added bonus: if we decide that we want to tax income based on the amount remaining after the necessities are paid for, then progressive tax doesn't only make sense, but mandates a rate that Marx would consider on the high end of the Laffer Curve.

No, that is not what's going on here, and no matter how often you say this, you will not be right. We recognize that there is a burden that needs to be shouldered, and we recognize that the rich are in a unique position to shoulder it. We also recognize that they get more out of it. Recognizing those two things and then saying "the rich should pay more in taxes than the poor, procentually" has nothing to do with jealousy, and everything to do with rational analysis.

Stagnant:
I'd quote Elizabeth Warren here, but that'd probably make you shrivel up like a vampire in the daylight.

....And the problem here is what, exactly?

Stagnant:

Jeremy Meadows:

No, that is not what's going on here, and no matter how often you say this, you will not be right. We recognize that there is a burden that needs to be shouldered, and we recognize that the rich are in a unique position to shoulder it. We also recognize that they get more out of it. Recognizing those two things and then saying "the rich should pay more in taxes than the poor, procentually" has nothing to do with jealousy, and everything to do with rational analysis.

You ever notice that the people whining about 'envy' also tend to be the ones who want to make poor people suffer more because "IIIT'S NOT FAAAAIIIR!" that it's possible to simultaneously not-work and not-starve, even for a little while? It'd be hilarious, if it didn't have a body-count.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked