Crazist things you hear about your beliefs (or lack of)?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Let me start this thread off with a story of mine.

I was looking into how religious people "argue" against Deism in general. Just to see if there was any non-atheistic rebuttal theism could come up with. All of the arguments were absolutely horrible, reliant on biblical scripture (which Deism doesn't follow), or just downright crazy. Most didn't even know the definition of the word Deism. However, I found these pages. I can't even explain it in words. I am at a loss to even respond.

1. http://es-es.facebook.com/notes/anti-nazis/who-are-the-deists/117833778294984

2. http://www.facebook.com/AntiDeism/info

The first one is.... I don't even know how to describe it. How is Deism an all powerful banking entity that keeps the world docile? How is it tied to Judaism? When Deism rejects revelations, traditions, and an Abrahamic God on top of that? Dare I ask what sort of depraved "logic" they used?

So those horrifying pages gave me an idea for this non-news story related thread (news is slow lately). What is the craziest thing you heard someone say in real life, online, or in media in regards to your particular beliefs?

You must have some good stories. So what are yours?

Ultratwinkie:
Dare I ask what sort of depraved "logic" they used?

The logic of defamation. Just demonize the opposition, understanding is not required.
Deist bankers? Cult of sorcery? Yeah, "demonizing" seems fitting. In that vein...

What is the craziest thing you heard someone say in real life, online, or in media in regards to your particular beliefs?

...well, that Atheists like myself are devil-worshippers.

Craziest thing I've head is that I'm going to hell for no believing in something no one can substantiate. Something they don't even attempt to substantiate, something that I just need to "have faith" to understand...

If someone used that to try and sell a product, the very same people wall call the snake oil salesman..

Ultratwinkie:
All of the arguments were absolutely horrible, reliant on biblical scripture (which Deism doesn't follow)

Sorry to go off-topic for a second, but can I ask you what your definition of deism is? It's just I heard a couple of (what seemed to me to be) incorrect definitions of deism recently. Think the worst I heard was actually from William Lane Craig who called deism a "kind of theism" where God hasn't revealed himself to us yet. I was under the impression that Deists thought there is no impending revelation from God, that the only "revelation" God made was the creation of the universe.

At the very least, it seems weird to presume that the Deist god is the same personal god that theists believe in, but he's being quiet for now. Maybe there are indeed variants on the deistic them, but I've not come across them before and maybe you have.

OT: Atheist, I can't say I've seen anything truly whackadoodle levelled at my beliefs like a banking conspiracy theory god, then again there are some claims made of atheists I regard as sadly commonplace now.

Atheists have no morals, atheists have no basis for morals, atheists should thus be raping and killing because LOL WHY NOT, atheists don't care for truth, atheists already know God exists but are lying to themselves and everyone.....the list goes on.

Oirish_Martin:

Ultratwinkie:
All of the arguments were absolutely horrible, reliant on biblical scripture (which Deism doesn't follow)

Sorry to go off-topic for a second, but can I ask you what your definition of deism is? It's just I heard a couple of (what seemed to me to be) incorrect definitions of deism recently. Think the worst I heard was actually from William Lane Craig who called deism a "kind of theism" where God hasn't revealed himself to us yet. I was under the impression that Deists thought there is no impending revelation from God, that the only "revelation" God made was the creation of the universe.

At the very least, it seems weird to presume that the Deist god is the same personal god that theists believe in, but he's being quiet for now. Maybe there are indeed variants on the deistic them, but I've not come across them before and maybe you have.

OT: Atheist, I can't say I've seen anything truly whackadoodle levelled at my beliefs like a banking conspiracy theory god, then again there are some claims made of atheists I regard as sadly commonplace now.

Atheists have no morals, atheists have no basis for morals, atheists should thus be raping and killing because LOL WHY NOT, atheists don't care for truth, atheists already know God exists but are lying to themselves and everyone.....the list goes on.

Deism is a belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation. Deism is NOT theism in any way. Its own category now, but in the past it used to be a subset of Atheism before Atheism changed its meaning.

There are two modes of Deism:

Modern and classical.

Modern is more open. Modern Deism is characterized by a God with no set traits, and just created the universe. A mindless mechanism would fall under a Deistic god under this category.

Classical deism tends to be the "clockwork God" theory. Classical Deistic god tends to have some sentience to it.

However, I should note that there is a bit of a debate over a set definition due to many groups trying to claim their view as "actual Deism." The main definition of Deism remains the same, the definitions of modern and classical tend to be sketchier.

You could meet an idiot deist who relies more on the supernatural. You could also meet a smart Deist that can stand their own against Atheists. Its disorganized like Atheism is.

Ultratwinkie:

Oirish_Martin:

Ultratwinkie:

Deism is a belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation. Deism is NOT theism in any way. Its own category now, but in the past it used to be a subset of Atheism before Atheism changed its meaning.

There are two modes of Deism:

Modern and classical.

Modern is more open. Modern Deism is characterized by a God with no set traits, and just created the universe. A mindless mechanism would fall under a Deistic god under this category.

Classical deism tends to be the "clockwork God" theory. Classical Deistic god tends to have some sentience to it.

However, I should note that there is a bit of a debate over a set definition due to many groups trying to claim their view as "actual Deism." The main definition of Deism remains the same, the definitions of modern and classical tend to be sketchier.

You could meet an idiot deist who relies more on the supernatural. You could also meet a smart Deist that can stand their own against Atheists. Its disorganized like Atheism is.

That's fine, I reckoned due to my own ignorance of deism that there was probably some variation I wasn't aware of, but Craig's seemed really far off the mark, and we seem to be in agreement on that.

I'm Catholic. Atheists level some pretty outrageous accusations at the Catholic Church, but atleast that's all hyperbole from an opposing stance.

The real hilarious stuff comes from evangelical christians' opinion of catholicism. I've had a born-again, in real life, tell me that Catholics think we're better than everyone else... you know, the people who's doctrine states that if a person doesn't undergo an epiphany of their specific faith then they go to hell, think that Catholics are snooty and exclusionary.

Or then there's this...
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

tstorm823:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

Chick truly is a source of unending hilarity and cranial explosions. I really like the D&D one.

"All religious beliefs must be decided by an authority. You can't be a free thinker or independent or individually interpret scripture (all religions must have scripture by the way) in any way. Because I want all religious beliefs to be decided by an authority. If your religion doesn't fit neatly and tidily into the pigeon hole I've conceived of, then it doesn't count because it's not a 'real' religion."

The general tendency to assume all religions must operate on the rules of stereotypes of Christianity and Islam is more ignorant than crazy IMHO, but the zeal that some people cling to that assumption is close enough to crazy that it can see crazy without needing a telescope.

Ultratwinkie:

1. http://es-es.facebook.com/notes/anti-nazis/who-are-the-deists/117833778294984

The first one is.... I don't even know how to describe it. How is Deism an all powerful banking entity that keeps the world docile? How is it tied to Judaism? When Deism rejects revelations, traditions, and an Abrahamic God on top of that? Dare I ask what sort of depraved "logic" they used?

Actually, that one is explainable (sort of)

Deism was for a long time associated, for good reason, with the Freemasons and the "founding fathers" of the US, who in turn eventually became confused with the Illuminati and "New World Order" myths, which involve both of those themes. Add a century or so of wild conspiracy theories, some extra BS, and stir.

The logic is... unreasonable at the very least, leaning towards insanity, but the connections are there.

P.S. I love telling the idiots going on about this being a Christian nation what religion their idols actually appeared to have believed in.

OT: The implication that I'm a murderous psychopath just waiting for my chance to let loose with my obviously bankrupt sense of morality.

Skeleon:
...well, that Atheists like myself are devil-worshippers.

All I ask is that you drop to your knees and worship me every once in a while! Is that really too much to ask?!

Must be why they also call us immoral.

i could talk about the religion i know most, but that would be a fucking book of outrageous claims, without any counterpoints to it aswell. if i include counter points it would 2 or 3 books.

DevilWithaHalo:
All I ask is that you drop to your knees and worship me every once in a while! Is that really too much to ask?!

Sorry. If he existed, I'd oppose him. And if there was a war between heaven and hell and humanity was stuck inbetween, I'd say blow 'em both away and free humanity if possible. Those folks are still stuck using flaming swords for crying out loud and our iron chariots have become a bit more advanced nowadays.

Yeah, I have a bit of a thing for "empowering humanity", probably one of the reasons I enjoyed "His Dark Materials", could you tell?

In light of reality, though: The devil is just another god-like figure, made up to explain things and fill gaps of knowledge. Just different ones than the main god. Not bending my knee to that any time soon.

Just the usual shit from fundamentalist Theists who claim that all Atheists are devil-worshippers and refuse to accept the "truth" of God. My Muslim mother (who's not fundamentalist, but is hypocritical and can reveal some quite old-fashioned views at times) genuinely once said to me, "If Allah didn't create the universe, then what did?" I just gave her with a "Are you fucking kidding me?" look, because I've had arguments with her over that before and she treats me like a naive child who can't possibly be sure of his own philosophy until he's 18.

People blaming an entire religion for the actions of self-serving scumbags, apeshit insane fundamentalists, and assorted people who haven't studied the actual teachings of the religion at all. Both Islam and Christianity get a -lot- of this.

Relish in Chaos:
Just the usual shit from fundamentalist Theists who claim that all Atheists are devil-worshippers and refuse to accept the "truth" of God. My Muslim mother (who's not fundamentalist, but is hypocritical and can reveal some quite old-fashioned views at times) genuinely once said to me, "If Allah didn't create the universe, then what did?" I just looked at her with a "Are you fucking kidding me?" look, because I've had arguments with her over that before and she treats me like a naive child who can't possibly be sure of his own philosophy until he's 18.

Don't sweat it, I'm 20 and my Christian mother still treats me like that.

I once had someone on here that tried to convince me that my belief in God was hurting my critical thinking skills and my ability to think rationally, and that those parts of me would be improved if I stopped believing in God. I could see where they were coming from, but I knew they felt that way because they literally had not a clue as to what it means (or can mean) to believe in a higher power.

Mostly as an atheist I get accused of being a criminal with no moral compass. The assertion is that all law comes from religion and without law there can be no morality, therefor people without religion have no laws and cannot be moral.

Heronblade:

Ultratwinkie:

Actually, that one is explainable (sort of)

Deism was for a long time associated, for good reason, with the Freemasons and the "founding fathers" of the US, who in turn eventually became confused with the Illuminati and "New World Order" myths, which involve both of those themes. Add a century or so of wild conspiracy theories, some extra BS, and stir.

The logic is... unreasonable at the very least, leaning towards insanity, but the connections are there.

P.S. I love telling the idiots going on about this being a Christian nation what religion their idols actually appeared to have believed in.

OT: The implication that I'm a murderous psychopath just waiting for my chance to let loose with my obviously bankrupt sense of morality.

So now the hate speech isn't "Jews control the banking system" but "Deists control the banking system and is instigating religious wars to wipe each other out?"

I don't know if I should be offended, or flattered they think Deism is that powerful.

ClockworkPenguin:

Relish in Chaos:
Just the usual shit from fundamentalist Theists who claim that all Atheists are devil-worshippers and refuse to accept the "truth" of God. My Muslim mother (who's not fundamentalist, but is hypocritical and can reveal some quite old-fashioned views at times) genuinely once said to me, "If Allah didn't create the universe, then what did?" I just looked at her with a "Are you fucking kidding me?" look, because I've had arguments with her over that before and she treats me like a naive child who can't possibly be sure of his own philosophy until he's 18.

Don't sweat it, I'm 20 and my Christian mother still treats me like that.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys, but I'm 3, well, let's just say I'm in my thirties, and on some subjects my parents still talk to me like that, especially when the conversation shifts to cars and car care. I don't think it has much to do with religion and is more about getting into habits. When you spend 13+ years being the person a child goes to for all the answers, at some point it's going to be hard to step back and accept that the child can find their own answers. And even if the parent generally accepts that they need to let go and let the child grow on their own, if the subject is one dear to the parent, they may fall into old habits a little too easily.

I was asked how can I have morals if I don't follow god. I set him straight so we are all good.

Ultratwinkie:

So now the hate speech isn't "Jews control the banking system" but "Deists control the banking system and is instigating religious wars to wipe each other out?"

I don't know if I should be offended, or flattered they think Deism is that powerful.

I'd say neither, it doesn't do any good to attach much importance to the opinions of these people either way. Think of these groups as incredibly ugly trolls already bloated from their own ego, feeding them isn't a great idea.

Matthew94:
I was asked how can I have morals if I don't follow god. I set him straight so we are all good.

So, the next question is... where did you hide the body?

Mortai Gravesend:

Matthew94:

You know I can't tell you that. Where would the fun be in that if i just told you?

Matthew94:

Mortai Gravesend:

Matthew94:

You know I can't tell you that. Where would the fun be in that if i just told you?

Probably in watching me throw up when I find the rotting thing -__-

I think that would be from Turkish religious zealot and creationist Adnan Oktar, alias Harun Yahya.

He claims Nietzsche invented nazism, and Nietzschean thinking, atheism and 'evolutionism' caused the holocaust and are trying to create a lot of evil in the world today. The guy's shockingly misinformed even to creationist standards.

It's pretty closely related to the lies that Hitler was supposedly an atheist and whatever other religious hate propaganda, but the deludedness with which Oktar brings it is really something special.

Although it's gotten a little quiet around him since he published a holocaust denialist pamphlet, got slapped with a lawsuit over it, accusations of anti-semitism and another (criminal) lawsuits and the threat of conviction for breaking Turkey's national identity laws, he's been trying to play best mates with all Jews ever since.

That atheists are the cause of most of the problems with society and should kill themselves... from my mum no less :/

Well, one thing in particular I hear a lot is where I could possibly get my ethics from if I don't believe in God (which I don't, surprise). I say empathy, but I have thought of a better point recently: If we get all our moral code from God (the Christian one for this example), then why can we look back now and condemn things which were mandated by God, like slavery and stoning people to death for various things? Shouldn't these activities be ingrained as good things by now? How is it that we can pick and choose from the given rules if we have nothing to judge them by? A non-God-given set of criteria is required, and we have it. ;)

An often used example, but still has to be "How did the moon get up there?"

God of the gaps arguments are very common, and their are loads of examples, but most don't use examples of science that we DO understand, and none before have been stated on national television.

Not G. Ivingname:
An often used example, but still has to be "How did the moon get up there?"

God of the gaps arguments are very common, and their are loads of examples, but most don't use examples of science that we DO understand, and none before have been stated on national television.

Don't forget "tide goes in, tide goes out, never a miscommunication".

I'd have to pick the bloody sacrifice nonsense. And I mean both "bloody" in the sense of "really buggeringly annoying" and in the sense of, well, people actually expect that I off random animals as sacrifices to my Gods.

When I was a Satanist, it was this strange, oddly invarying "do you kill cats?" From everyone. Even people I'd just had a very nice dinner with. I have to stand here and wonder, twentyish years later, what they'd have done if I'd said yes. "Well, that's disgusting. No dessert, then?"

I've probably told this story here before, but if not, what the hell. I got exasperated one day and answered that question with "ask me about dogs".

Them: What, do you kill dogs?!?
Me: No, I'm just sick of being asked about cats!

They kind of backed away slowly, and I'm not sure they ever got the joke. But, you know, a little variety in the moral panic nonsense really would have been nice. At my first job, I found out after I'd left that people thought I kept cats' eyes in a jar on my desk. Took me a while to decipher that one. See, there's a books-and-herbs shop in California that sent out catalogs, and they'd make up essential oil blends for various purposes. There was one for "jobs", and I was a baby Pagan and thought that would be a dandy thing to have at work. It was basically perfume with some round seeds in it that I'd occasionally rub on the phone as a let-me-give-good-customer-service kind of ritual. The name of the store? "Eye of the Cat".

After I'd become Pagan, I finally got some variety in the kind of animals I was expected to serially murder. My mother-in-law actually thought our wedding was going to involve sacrificing a goat. At a very high-end bed-and-breakfast, no less. Somehow I think they might have objected to blood all over their carpet, but hey, you never know.

Nothing beats the good ol' "Atheism is a religion too" thing some people seem to have going as far as crazy things about my system of beliefs are concerned.

That some people consider it "cold hard fact" that the Catholic Church went about the dark ages "Destroying technology and killing Geniuses because..." I don't know, there's no real motive other than "They're religious douches".

A few things I like to tell them is that "The Age of Scientific Repression" is grossly exaggerated to the point that one has to wonder if science was ever really oppressed by the church during the dark ages. I also like to inform them that Galileo's work wasn't what go the church on his ass, but it was how he went about it and "published" his discovery that caused him to get in trouble. Originally the pope (as a bishop) praised him for his contributions to astronomy... It was when he went about claiming that his findings would "shock the church and cause people to reevaluate the bible" that things became a problem. Normally what he said could just be considered his ego talking... However he happened to say this during the protestant reformation, where "new biblical opinions" usually meant another protestant sect forming, which usually lead to civil wars, blood baths, and several people with the desire to destroy the Catholic Church... He also happened to be doing this in, what is essentially the pope's backyard.

It would be the equivalent of someone discovering a new, cheaper, more stylized way of making flags, so they celebrate by waving the Confederate Stars and Bars around an African American family's home.

Ultratwinkie:
Let me start this thread off with a story of mine.

I was looking into how religious people "argue" against Deism in general. Just to see if there was any non-atheistic rebuttal theism could come up with. All of the arguments were absolutely horrible, reliant on biblical scripture (which Deism doesn't follow), or just downright crazy. Most didn't even know the definition of the word Deism. However, I found these pages. I can't even explain it in words. I am at a loss to even respond.

So those horrifying pages gave me an idea for this non-news story related thread (news is slow lately). What is the craziest thing you heard someone say in real life, online, or in media in regards to your particular beliefs?

You must have some good stories. So what are yours?

I'm an atheist because I secretly crave eating shrimps and fucking other men.

At least that's what a local preacher nearly forcing me to stop at his booth and do a reading of a holy text told me. I literally had to push the fucker away so I could carry on.

Ultratwinkie:
snipy

Did they just steal anti-semitic propaganda and replace the word Jew with Deist? Disgusting. In the old days people used to come with their own hate propaganda.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked