Happy Higgs Boson day!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

In the future this may not be remembered as much for the Birthday of the United States, but rather the Birthday to finding the key to understanding our Universe. So I would like to be the first to wish you a "happy Higgs Boson Day!"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/04/us-science-higgs-idUSBRE86008K20120704

As Bart Simpson would say..."Eat my shorts Stephen Hawking." Looks like he lost some bets. Hahaha!

"Nobel prizes all round."

lol they know they got it for sure now.
Also that thing has been operational for quite some time without destroying the world, guess we were all wrong about it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying this day is the key to understanding how our universe works. At most, it just validates most of what is a very little part in the standard model. There's still a fair amount of discovery to be done on the Higgs to learn about its properties.

Esotera:
I wouldn't go as far as saying this day is the key to understanding how our universe works. At most, it just validates most of what is a very little part in the standard model. There's still a fair amount of discovery to be done on the Higgs to learn about its properties.

Absolutely there is more work to be done, but the importance of this discovery cannot be underestimated: we have confirmed the Standard Model. The Higgs boson will allow us to create a unified theory of gravity and mass which accounts for all mass-based interaction, from the quantum scale all the way up to galaxies. The discrepancies when considering quantum gravity were not a "very little part" of the standard model, those discrepancies opened the door to the entire construct being illusory, and that door is now closed.

This is a great day for the field of physics, and a great day for human progress. Not that you'd know it based on the comments on British national newspaper websites; wall to wall cretinous fucking luddite scum whinging about how worthless theoretical physics is and how we should spend it on "something useful", completely unaware how fucking stupid that sentiment is when expressed on a computer via the internet.

Magichead:

Absolutely there is more work to be done, but the importance of this discovery cannot be underestimated: we have confirmed the Standard Model. The Higgs boson will allow us to create a unified theory of gravity and mass which accounts for all mass-based interaction, from the quantum scale all the way up to galaxies. The discrepancies when considering quantum gravity were not a "very little part" of the standard model, those discrepancies opened the door to the entire construct being illusory, and that door is now closed.

This is a great day for the field of physics, and a great day for human progress. Not that you'd know it based on the comments on British national newspaper websites; wall to wall cretinous fucking luddite scum whinging about how worthless theoretical physics is and how we should spend it on "something useful", completely unaware how fucking stupid that sentiment is when expressed on a computer via the internet.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I'd still like to see it confirmed another couple of times (as I'm paranoid like that) and I suppose this will be the next thing on the agenda, along with studying its properties further. We know a little bit more about our universe, but we still don't have a full understanding of it.

Well it depends on whether or not this is completely confirmed. I still think this is pretty awesome though.

Magichead:

Esotera:

Yea.. don't read the comments section. I know that the world is full of idiots.. but to read that garbage makes you lose hope in mankind. I still have hope that the few will overcome the majority and will push forward and endure regardless.

It always baffles me that the Standard Model and predictions made out of the Standard Model work as good as they do: from what I can tell it is pretty much based in pure symmetry arguments and is even incomplete insofar that it does not yet incorporate a quantum theory of gravity. Still, it's really awesome to see it work - glory to Theoretical Physics!

It isn't 100% sure that it is the Higgs, but it seems promising. I hope it is. Gratz all around!

(And oh, if someone thinks the CERN-institute costs a lot of money and should be used for something 'useful', I hope they ignore how depressingly large the worlds military-budget is, and how most of it is spent keeping large armies around, just to generate fear that others with equally stationary armies won't do attack them. That, if anything, seems ludicrous compared to trying to understand the universe)

Lil devils x:

Magichead:

Esotera:

Yea.. don't read the comments section. I know that the world is full of idiots.. but to read that garbage makes you lose hope in mankind. I still have hope that the few will overcome the majority and will push forward and endure regardless.

That was schmuck bait, and I took it, and now I regret it (and also would like to punch someone).

OT: Glad to see this come to fruition, though I can't help feeling that the options are more limited now than they were in the past. Of course, with less effort wasted in exploring alternative possibilities, maybe progress will be faster.

To the fools who say this isn't useful: Look, we've already found and implemented real-world uses for antimatter and several obscure particles that people used to say the same thing about. Imagine learning to manipulate the fields that give objects mass. Sound familiar, Bioware fans?

I must admit, I was worried this day would never come; I thought for sure some crazy was going to bomb the LHC in an attempt to save the world before it ran long enough to find the Higgs.

McMullen:

Lil devils x:

Magichead:

That was schmuck bait, and I took it, and now I regret it (and also would like to punch someone).

OT: Glad to see this come to fruition, though I can't help feeling that the options are more limited now than they were in the past. Of course, with less effort wasted in exploring alternative possibilities, maybe progress will be faster.

To the fools who say this isn't useful: Look, we've already found and implemented real-world uses for antimatter and several obscure particles that people used to say the same thing about. Imagine learning to manipulate the fields that give objects mass. Sound familiar, Bioware fans?

I must admit, I was worried this day would never come; I thought for sure some crazy was going to bomb the LHC in an attempt to save the world before it ran long enough to find the Higgs.

"Faith is the ultimate shield, from criticism and reality"

Even if you explain how the universe was made, step by step, they will still proclaim that God did it.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

McMullen:

Lil devils x:

"Faith is the ultimate shield, from criticism and reality"

Even if you explain how the universe was made, step by step, they will still proclaim that God did it.

Sure they will. But by then they'll hopefully be as relevant as the flat-earthers.

From what I understand this may be the last real fundamental breakthrough though, because now the model of how matter works is pretty complete.

Outside of stuff like dark matter and such, and other things that would require going out into deep space and shoveling up bits of it to experiment on, which won't happen for many many years.

Blablahb:
From what I understand this may be the last real fundamental breakthrough though, because now the model of how matter works is pretty complete.

Outside of stuff like dark matter and such, and other things that would require going out into deep space and shoveling up bits of it to experiment on, which won't happen for many many years.

Matter and energy are only 4%, there's lots left to do.

People have been saying physics is pretty much complete for close to a century now. They said it before discovering radiation, they said it before relativity, they said it before the big bang, they said it before quan..., well, you get the picture.

Saying Physics is done is similar in many ways to predicting the end of the world. Someone's always saying it and it's pretty consistently shown to be inaccurate.

Just a question, what does the discovery of this particle mean for the everyday people? The people who aren't scientists, who haven't been following this. I don't know much about this or this field so I'd just like to know what this means for the common person.

Cool thing. It's always great when scientific predictions are demonstrated to be true. I got quite a rush when I heard about Tiktaalik, for instance.

TKretts3:
Just a question, what does the discovery of this particle mean for the everyday people? The people who aren't scientists, who haven't been following this. I don't know much about this or this field so I'd just like to know what this means for the common person.

Immediately? Not that much. But you may have heard about the so-called "god particle"? The particle that was predicted to exist and sort of required to help explain a lot of things in physics? Things like how gravity works, what gives matter its mass are actually quite a mystery still. This discovery here lends more credence to the current model and may also help explain where matter comes from, which is, after all, one of the big questions of the universe. See, the theoretical basis for these mechanisms were already developed, but the discovery of the actual particle helps support these hypotheses.

McMullen:

Blablahb:

Matter and energy are only 4%, there's lots left to do.

People have been saying physics is pretty much complete for close to a century now. They said it before discovering radiation, they said it before relativity, they said it before the big bang, they said it before quan..., well, you get the picture.

Saying Physics is done is similar in many ways to predicting the end of the world. Someone's always saying it and it's pretty consistently shown to be inaccurate.

Exactly. This discovery is confirmation that we're on the right path, but it is not the end of the "quest" as it were; Young first performed the Double-Slit Experiment in 1803, but it took the work of dozens of geniuses over the course of more than a century until we really began to understand the properties of light and other forms of radiative energy, and in the process an entirely new field of physics was created; quantum mechanics.

Who knows, with a more complete understanding of the Higgs, we could open up entirely new avenues of investigation.

TKretts3:

What does it mean for you? Nobody has a clue yet, but consider that people asked the very same question of physicists when they began their investigation of the quantum world, and the result of that was the transistor, ie, the foundation of the modern age.

Everything's hypothetical, until it isn't:

TKretts3:

I will try to explain it in an easy way to understand.

If this is correct, then it means there IS an energy field that connects everything in the universe. When a particle travels through the universe, it either attracts or deflects the Higgs particles that make up this energy field. If it attracts the particle then it combines to form matter, and the combination of these particles can form life as we know it. If it deflects the Higgs, it continues as a form of energy. This particle basically provides an order to the universe, rather than chaos.

I am not exactly sure if that was what you were asking, but I hope that helps.

Lil devils x:

If this is correct, then it means there IS an energy field that connects everything in the universe. When a particle travels through the universe, it either attracts or deflects the Higgs particles that make up this energy field. If it attracts the particle then it combines to form matter, and the combination of these particles can form life as we know it. If it deflects the Higgs, it continues as a form of energy. This particle basically provides an order to the universe, rather than chaos.

It was more akin to Magichead's response, in the, "What will this discovery do for the common man?" sense. Nonetheless, though, what you said does sound interesting in itself. :)

TKretts3:

Lil devils x:

It was more akin to Magichead's response, in the, "What will this discovery do for the common man?" sense. Nonetheless, though, what you said does sound interesting in itself. :)

On a personal note, This is not just a victory for science, but also many indigenous tribes around our world, including my own. You see, in the history of my people we were taught that all things in the Universe were connected through an energy field, the way it was described to me was as a "an invisible giant spider web of energy". For many years, our people were tortured, abused, murdered, ridiculed, accused as witches and tormented for this belief and to see it proven with science is a personal victory for our tribes as well. We don't care what people want call it now, to prove its existence fills many hearts with relief.

Lil devils x:
On a personal note, This is not just a victory for science, but also many indigenous tribes around our world, including my own. You see, in the history of my people we were taught that all things in the Universe were connected through an energy field, the way it was described to me was as a "an invisible giant spider web of energy".

My god, that's as weird as many creationist distortions of science. All those myths still remain made up bullshit. A vague and very far fetched distorted resemblance to the model of physics doesn't change the fact that those myths are completely untrue.

Blablahb:

Lil devils x:
On a personal note, This is not just a victory for science, but also many indigenous tribes around our world, including my own. You see, in the history of my people we were taught that all things in the Universe were connected through an energy field, the way it was described to me was as a "an invisible giant spider web of energy".

My god, that's as weird as many creationist distortions of science. All those myths still remain made up bullshit. A vague and very far fetched distorted resemblance to the model of physics doesn't change the fact that those myths are completely untrue.

And here we go.. again. No matter how many of our " myths" have been proven in recent years by "modern science", people still feel the need to rant about it.

Our " made up bullshit" is accurate ancient star charts ( ones you thought were wrong until you put a new lens on Hubble and can now see them too), that life on this planet formed from clay and water forming crystals that hold the " knowlegde of life", that there is a "dark spiderwoman" who sits at the center of sagittarius drawing in everything that comes near her and spinning out stars...

Oh wait .. that is just made up BULLSHIT since we are supposed to be ignorant primitive apes who don't know our heads from our asses right?...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A*
http://www.space.com/6456-life-crystal-code.html
http://www.space.com/1670-astronomers-surprised-stars-born-black-hole.html

Can't call it the God particle anymore - they have evidence for it.

(not my gag, unfortunately :/ )

Lil devils x:

Blablahb:

Lil devils x:

And here we go.. again. No matter how many of our " myths" have been proven in recent years by "modern science", people still feel the need to rant about it.

Our " made up bullshit" is accurate ancient star charts ( ones you thought were wrong until you put a new lens on Hubble and can now see them too), that life on this planet formed from clay and water forming crystals that hold the " knowlegde of life", that there is a "dark spiderwoman" who sits at the center of the Kachina sagittarius drawing in everything that comes near her and spinning out stars...

Oh wait .. that is just made up BULLSHIT since we are supposed to be ignorant primitive apes who don't know our heads from our asses right?...

Oh, snap.

Still, I can see why this is important for your culture, but we must not get ahead of ourselves and take your ancient myths and legends as gospel. (We shouldn't take gospel as gospel either, by the way)

But then again, I rather like how your culture embraces these new findings, as opposed to ... other religions. You know what I am talking about, we all do.

As for what it means for the common man, who knows? People thought relativity and quantum would have no use at all. As always, the man in the street complained that it didn't bring any bread to the table and such things, but have you taken a look at what those "useless toys of the elite" brought the world?

Everything we considder modern, that's what. From computers, to GPS, to satelites, to plasma screens, and many more.
We can't know what new discoveries in physics bring, so let's just focus on pure science as much as possible, and deal with the advances when they come around.

EDIT: changed the words "your people" to "your culture", because this is not the 19th century.

Bassik:

Lil devils x:

Blablahb:

Our " made up bullshit" is accurate ancient star charts ( ones you thought were wrong until you put a new lens on Hubble and can now see them too), that life on this planet formed from clay and water forming crystals that hold the " knowlegde of life", that there is a "dark spiderwoman" who sits at the center of the sagittarius drawing in everything that comes near her and spinning out stars...

Oh, snap.

Still, I can see why this is important for your culture, but we must not get ahead of ourselves and take your ancient myths and legends as gospel. (We shouldn't take gospel as gospel either, by the way)

But then again, I rather like how your culture embraces these new findings, as opposed to ... other religions. You know what I am talking about, we all do.

As for what it means for the common man, who knows? People thought relativity and quantum would have no use at all. As always, the man in the street complained that it didn't bring any bread to the table and such things, but have you taken a look at what those "useless toys of the elite" brought the world?

Everything we considder modern, that's what. From computers, to GPS, to satelites, to plasma screens, and many more.
We can't know what new discoveries in physics bring, so let's just focus on pure science as much as possible, and deal with the advances when they come around.

EDIT: changed the words "your people" to "your culture", because this is not the 19th century.

I think the difference between our "beliefs" and most others is that we believe this knoweldge came from actual science, knowledge of the previous civilization we destroyed. We also strongly believed in evolution as that is also a part of our history. It was not some " deity" that taught us this, it was the knowledge of the previous world (age) that we preserved.

Our beliefs are that we have already reached great technology in the past and abandoned it because of the harm we caused with it. This belief is also shared with other tribes as well.
The reason why some tribes refuse to use technology stems from a promise made at the beginning of this age, not because we were unaware.

Come on, someone had to, and I'll bet one of my extremities several people imagined it like this when they heard the news.

It is a great day indeed, and while the common man may not see the benefits of the discovery, they will become apparent in the future as we learn more about how this works, whether or not it's possible to manipulate mass, and so on (and if it is, who needs a jetpack?).

Lil devils x:

Considering that number is zero, bite me.

Your earlier post too. This is extremely complicated stuff we're talking about, and you think the mythological cry "It's all a field!" is an accurate description of that complicated matter about which you can write entire books.

How can you expect anyone to respond any different than "Yeah right"?

Why don't you google 'scientific miracles of the quran' to see what I'm refering to? That's a similar attempt at hugely far fetched interpretations of islamic verses to desperately try to make their mythology seem more scientifically correct.

Blablahb:
'scientific miracles of the quran'

I was going to bring that up. A lot of Muslim apologists really like to act as though the Quran was divinely inspired because it says that life was created by Allah from water and science indicates that life developed in the oceans. Imagine that: People realizing that water is essential for life. There must have been divine intervention!

I'm sorry, but this kind of cherrypicking of "predictions of scientific facts" just speaks of massive confirmation bias, not of any sort of superior insight.

Lil devils x:

Yes, just like the rest of us. Simmer down.

Spiders in the sky spinning webs? What utter tosh. No different than any "ancient wisdom" nonsense claims, twisting vague and poetical prose to breaking point in order to try and derive authority from science is nothing new; all the rampant loons who're into new age reinterpretations of eastern medicine tried to pull the same shit when we discovered bioelectromagnetism, saying it was scientific proof of chi, and that utter fuckwit Deepak Chopra tries the same thing with quantum mechanics and his nonsensical pseudoscientific "energy consciousness" shit.

Also, isn't it hilariously convenient that you did know all about everything in the "previous age" or whatever it is, but you deliberately forgot it all except for aforementioned vague and poetical prose, so you can claim that science is validating your ancient mumbo-jumbo without actually having to provide a shred of evidence.

Please.

Lil devils x:

Bassik:

Lil devils x:

Our " made up bullshit" is accurate ancient star charts ( ones you thought were wrong until you put a new lens on Hubble and can now see them too), that life on this planet formed from clay and water forming crystals that hold the " knowlegde of life", that there is a "dark spiderwoman" who sits at the center of the sagittarius drawing in everything that comes near her and spinning out stars...

Oh, snap.

I think the difference between our "beliefs" and most others is that we believe this knoweldge came from actual science, knowledge of the previous civilization we destroyed. We also strongly believed in evolution as that is also a part of our history. It was not some " deity" that taught us this, it was the knowledge of the previous world (age) that we preserved.

Our beliefs are that we have already reached great technology in the past and abandoned it because of the harm we caused with it. This belief is also shared with other tribes as well.
The reason why some tribes refuse to use technology stems from a promise made at the beginning of this age, not because we were unaware.

Despite no evidence actually existing for this? If we ever reached our current level of technology in the past, then we would have discovered pieces of ancient satellites by now, let alone specific nuclear materils that are only created inside a nuclear reactor, fossils, evidence of technological structures, a lack of fossil fuels, any number of things.

Da Orky Man:

Despite no evidence actually existing for this? If we ever reached our current level of technology in the past, then we would have discovered pieces of ancient satellites by now, let alone specific nuclear materils that are only created inside a nuclear reactor, fossils, evidence of technological structures, a lack of fossil fuels, any number of things.

Ah, but they were SO advanced, that everything they made was biodegradable!

Wow, I found out about the discovery thanks to Athene.

I need a really strong drink.

Magichead:
Spiders in the sky spinning webs? What utter tosh. No different than any "ancient wisdom" nonsense claims, twisting vague and poetical prose to breaking point in order to try and derive authority from science is nothing new; all the rampant loons who're into new age reinterpretations of eastern medicine tried to pull the same shit when we discovered bioelectromagnetism, saying it was scientific proof of chi, and that utter fuckwit Deepak Chopra tries the same thing with quantum mechanics and his nonsensical pseudoscientific "energy consciousness" shit.

Also, isn't it hilariously convenient that you did know all about everything in the "previous age" or whatever it is, but you deliberately forgot it all except for aforementioned vague and poetical prose, so you can claim that science is validating your ancient mumbo-jumbo without actually having to provide a shred of evidence.

Please.

Silly, it was not giant spiders spinning spider webs in the sky. In our tradition, everything in the Universe is considered a "being" and was given a persona that reflected its function. Just as you name something a " black hole" describing a bottomless abyss, we described the same black hole as a "dark spider woman" which to us is more fitting, considering a " black hole" just sits there doing nothing and the " spider" actually pulls in things that comes near and " spins" out its creations. Both destructive, yet creating at the same time.

Not "All" evidence was destroyed, Our "great city" to the south still remains. You know it as the location for our 63 million year calander. It was built at the beginning of this age to preserve our knowledge from the 3rd world (age). It was meant as a reminder and a place of learning then was planned to be abandoned ( basically what you consider a time capsule) as our ancestors did when they moved on to keep their promise.

arbane:

Da Orky Man:

Ah, but they were SO advanced, that everything they made was biodegradable!

Not exactly. Though Our History tells us much was destroyed before we came to this land, as we were taught we evacuated to this land on ships because earthquakes were destroying our previous home. They built a time capsule after we arrived, that still remains.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked