Has anyone searched out new religion?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Well, good evening Escapists (at least where I live).
I've got a question for you today and it's a very simple one, have you ever turned down your religion of many years and started searching on another one? You know, that you've either found a new one or just denied it all together?

Now, I was a Christian until my confirmation came up, where before we got our "sweet deal" with Jesus, that we had to actually learn about our faith.
So I read the Bible, which isn't what every normal teenager does on that age and I discovered that Christianity was certainly not for me.
So what happened after that is that I started reading a bunch of other religious texts until I bumped into Buddha's text. I was simply dumbfound how amazing I found it to be, and so I've converted to Buddhism since that day.
I've been to a temple, sure. But I mostly practice my religion on a day to day basis.

So, Escapists, has this ever happened to you?

With love and kind regards.

Glorious Manwhore.

Christianity for me too. I wasn't learning how to deal with my problems and it certainly wasn't making my attitude towards life any better so I stopped going to Church. One day I bumped into my friend that happened to go to a Buddhist centre and now I go there on a near-weekly basis. Going there has taught me so much and I'm very thankful I stumbled upon it.

Nope, I left Christianity but didn't join another. I may join the Religion of the Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster but that's all that is appealing to me.

I was raised to be a catholic, but I've sort of rejected that belief, and slowly have came to a point to where I no longer accept any form of christianity.
Now I'm a diest. I like the fact of a silent god that doesn't break the rules it makes.

I've also been quite fond of buddhism, and I especially like that Dalai Lama guy- But as with just about every religion, I find something I can't handle following.
But yeah, nice to know there is a religion out there that aims to end suffering in a sort.

Glorious manwhore:
Snip.

I don't have any story to contribute, as I was raised neutrally in regard to religion, I just figured I should mention: This should have been posted in the Religion and politics section. A mod may move it for you if you ask.

OT: I can't say I've ever searched out new religion. I've encountered many different views through my religious education classes, but none of them struck me as worth adopting. All of their good teachings could be adopted and practiced from a non-religious standpoint, and the religious faith that would otherwise go with those teachings struck me as baseless, speculative and irrational.

I'm not in a very religious family. I used to go to church when I hung out with my uncle and cousins but that's about the extent of it. I remember in elementary school there was some week-long bible/church thing that I went to for 4 out of the 5 days. I remember noticing a school-bully of sorts being there too and thinking about how weird it is that a person I considered to be bad would be at a church function which is something I believed to be good (I was young and stupid, sue me).

Anyway, I haven't gone looking for a new religion to be honest. I tried looking into a few religions back in the late 2000's and came up with absolutely nothing. Meditations did nothing and there was nothing in any dreams that lead me to believe that any deities existed. Of course if they do exist, they must not be interested in me so there's always that.

Basically, I'll wait until I die before I concern myself with deities.

Glorious manwhore:
Well, good evening Escapists (at least where I live).
I've got a question for you today and it's a very simple one, have you ever turned down your religion of many years and started searching on another one? You know, that you've either found a new one or just denied it all together?

Now, I was a Christian until my confirmation came up, where before we got our "sweet deal" with Jesus, that we had to actually learn about our faith.
So I read the Bible, which isn't what every normal teenager does on that age and I discovered that Christianity was certainly not for me.
So what happened after that is that I started reading a bunch of other religious texts until I bumped into Buddha's text. I was simply dumbfound how amazing I found it to be, and so I've converted to Buddhism since that day.
I've been to a temple, sure. But I mostly practice my religion on a day to day basis.

So, Escapists, has this ever happened to you?

With love and kind regards.

Glorious Manwhore.

Here in Ontario we have Catholic schools and naturally I was in one. We all got confirmed through the school and well I always felt I sorta got pushed into it. They just sorta handed us the forms and told us when we were going to do it. The subject of not wanting to never really came up which I still to this day feel is extremely wrong. Years later in high school I felt more and more pushed away from the christian faith between sermons about how I am a asshole and going to hell and all the ridiculous policies the church pushes I decided I didn't really want to be catholic.

So in a similar situation to yourself we had a world religion class in highschool and I found I identified with Buddhism and while I haven't actually converted if I was ever to join a religion it would be Buddhism.

It's pretty illogical to switch religions. If you switch religions, it means you have abandoned your first religion and acknowledged it as false. If you have the good reasoning to be able to do that, what sense is there in picking up a new religion that is just as groundless as the first.

It's like if you were taught all your life that eating trout will make your dick grow to seven inches, and you eventually realize that it's complete bullshit and disregard it. Then some other guy comes along and tells you that eating lobster will make your dick grow to eight inches, well fuck me, that's just got to be true.

I wasn't really searching, I just realized one day I didn't believe my religion's dogma. (Former Catholic/Former Christian)

I even questioned if I ever believed it or if I was simply mimicking what I thought religious people should do.

I've settled quietly into semi-deist beliefs with touches of other religions. Makes a-lot of sense to have a 'God' character as a grand architect, makes me feel better about the world. (To me, at least, I dare not tell anyone IRL, for the might stage some sort of intervention to 'save' me.)

This belongs in the Religion and Politics board.

Nonetheless, I was raised roughly Judo-Christian; it wasn't very thorough so I'm not sure if it was supposed to be anything in specific or just some approximation of general Christian morals. Either way I didn't care for it because the notion of a God seemed strange to me. First I just renounced religion entirely, then I came upon LaVeyan Satanism(non-theistic, read before you assume) and it seemed to be a far more logical philosophy to abide by. But I eventually realized that there wasn't much reason to label myself in such a way that condemned other's views of my philosophical alignment, so now I'm simply an atheistic nihilist again.

I was raised 100% secular, religion was odd to me

technicaly Im a heathan

Regnes:
It's pretty illogical to switch religions. If you switch religions, it means you have abandoned your first religion and acknowledged it as false. If you have the good reasoning to be able to do that, what sense is there in picking up a new religion that is just as groundless as the first.

It's like if you were taught all your life that eating trout will make your dick grow to seven inches, and you eventually realize that it's complete bullshit and disregard it. Then some other guy comes along and tells you that eating lobster will make your dick grow to eight inches, well fuck me, that's just got to be true.

I'm in the same boat as this person. (We're not fishing.)

Raised Catholic, abandoned it, took about two years to do so and was careful not to become one of those annoying atheists, though I did buy Hitchens book since he's a joy to watch/read.

Regnes:

Except that Buddhism, such as the OP has taken up with, is not a deist tradition but one of self and spiritual enrichment. There is nothing inherently structured or instructional about it. One dude says "I think this is a healthy way to live but not all of it will work for everyone" The fact that the Lama's and the Shaolin turned in to a cult of personality just proves that they are human.

No, I don't do religion, never really have. I was technically Anglican but I never really followed the faith. I think I believed in God but I don't now.

Regnes:

That's honestly kind of how I see it, but I'd guess not everyone leaves their religion for the same reason I left mine so it just might not apply to them. But really it is how it comes off as far as I'm concerned so of course I won't pick another.

Well arent you just lisa simpson....

Religion....so boring...cant see point of ....Buddhism either.

MASTACHIEFPWN:
Now I'm a diest. I like the fact of a silent god that doesn't break the rules it makes.

Fact? That sounds like you have evidence to prove it.

Regnes:

This, basically. Buddhism might be an exception to this rule, since it's not a religion in the way that Christianity is, but I don't have much reason to seek out a new religion. If I don't believe in the Christian God, why would I be interested in Islam? Every religion I can think of is as irrational and/or as pointless as the ones that are popular in Europe, to me at least.

Me and religion don't mix well.

Me and religious people mix even worse...

I was raised as a catholic and look at me now, I'm about as atheist as you can possibly get without actively hating religion.

I gave up all religion when I hit the age of reason.

In Primary School we had to pray and learn about religion, so I've been forced into it.

And I've never really thought of changing, I'm just not too bothered with it at all.

Sean Hollyman:
In Primary School we had to pray and learn about religion, so I've been forced into it.

And I've never really thought of changing, I'm just not too bothered with it at all.

Don't you feel that it's wrong for a worldview to have been forced upon you though?
Do you not feel like your movements are restricted because of laws you did not choose to abide by your free will?

I grew up in a pretty much non-religious family. I converted to Islam several years ago. I think it's perfectly normal for people to change their religion, and why not ? People are free to believe what they want to and they are free to change that.

Some people claim that atheism is a religion. If so, then I've searched out that one. After learing about contradictions in the Bible I lost my faith in God.

Of course, atheism isn't a religion, since atheists don't worship anything and religion is all about worship.

I suppose it could be argued that I was technically Christian before I was 8, but I was really just nodding along to what my teachers told me.
Until they told me about Noah's Ark and my 8-year-old brain exploded and I called bullshit on the whole thing.

Religious primary school caused me to believe in a Christian God for a little while, but eventually I realised it was all just such an incredible waste of time.

lRookiel:
Me and religion don't mix well.

Me and religious people mix even worse...

I was raised as a catholic and look at me now, I'm about as atheist as you can possibly get without actively hating religion.

Yeah, I try to avoid the subject because when it gets brought up it gets messy. The thing that pisses me off is when you ask them for some logic behind their belief and you get things like "I just do" or "it's just faith".

I mean, I wouldn't care as much if you actually read your own religious text but they know fuck all about it. I think if you are going to believe in something as big as a freaking GOD then you should at least know what you are getting yourself into.

Agnostic here.

I can't really say that there is no god, but by the same token, blindly joining any religion which could be bogus is just as bad.

I'v always equated it to being forced to throw darts while blindfolded. You could hit the bullseye, but you could be way off and be unfairly punished for it.

Regnes:

Buddhism is different to theistic religions in that there is no belief in a creator god. Although things such as rebirth and different realms exist, Buddha encouraged his followers to make up their own minds as to what they believe, rather than blindly follow his word, and to merely use it as guidance to find enlightenment.

Because of this, what you said doesn't really work in this case. Changing from Christianity to Islam, however, is pointless, as they're so obviously similar.

Thought this was about the band, Slightly dissapointed.

OT, left one, never joined another.

I was... almost the same.
When I was about 10 I'd pretty much realised that Christianity makes fuck all sense. I went to a church school, and I hate the way that they present all of their crap as though it's an absolute truth; like they've reserached all of it and know that Yes, God Loves You Too! But they can't possibly know. So, in essence what everybody is doing is playing a 2000 year old game of chinese whispers and then trying to tell you that what they've ended up with definitely happened. How perverse.
As a result I'm not just an atheist but something of an antitheist as well.

I never bothered looking for another religion, although I have to say that Buddhism did appeal.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

That bit (a quote from Buddha), in particular, was appealing - and nothing like anything you'd find in any other religion.

Regnes:

What? It's very rarely like that; the only time it is how you say there is when someone actually rejects ALL religion of all types. Even then, Buddhism has no deity, Hinduism is based around reincarnation, how are they similar to Christianity? Religion is not something you can just generalise in that manner, it makes you seem rather ignorant.

OT: I've been looking into other religions, being a non-practising Christian, but it's mainly for knowledge of cultural diversity then "what do I want to devote myself to".

i was an atheist...now i am just a guy that does not believe in a deity (and yes, there is a difference)

Grew up being taught protestant christianity. Never really cottoned to it. Went through the confirmation because a) gifts b) no need to rock the boat. Then I grew a pair of balls and went "hang on, this shit's not going to fly!" and have since regarded any and all religions as signs of diseased, weak minds.

Going from religion to religion is even worse than just keeping the religion you grew up with, because the latter can simply be excused by lazyness and tradition while the former means you actively seek out inconsistent, stupid and illogical retardation and think it's a good thing.

Deviate:

Going from religion to religion is even worse than just keeping the religion you grew up with, because the latter can simply be excused by lazyness and tradition while the former means you actively seek out inconsistent, stupid and illogical retardation and think it's a good thing.

I'm an atheist, but I have to say that Buddhism can't really be criticised for this.
Take a gander at this quote from Buddha:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked