Mitt Romney: Screw you London, you're not ready to hold the Olympics

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Axolotl:

Da Orky Man:

arbane:

What are the other four most powerful positions?

British Prime Minister, French President, German Chancellor, and the Japanese Prime Minister. Them, combined with the American President, make up the leaders of the five most powerful countries on this planet.

Um, you're missing a pretty important county of that list.

Two.. maybe three actually.

Axolotl:

Da Orky Man:

arbane:

British Prime Minister, French President, German Chancellor, and the Japanese Prime Minister. Them, combined with the American President, make up the leaders of the five most powerful countries on this planet.

Those countries are the most powerful on the G8 list. The only one I can think of is China, which given it's semi-communist tendencies, hasn't got a single position as powerful as the ones I posted about. At least not to my knowledge.

Da Orky Man:

Axolotl:

Da Orky Man:

Those countries are the most powerful on the G8 list. The only one I can think of is China, which given it's semi-communist tendencies, hasn't got a single position as powerful as the ones I posted about. At least not to my knowledge.

Well communist countries tend to have more power for their leader than democratic ones and even if they didn't limited control over China is still much power more than complete control of Britain or France.

I'm not an expert and they may have moved away from absolute power since Mao and I don't think it's been exercised much since Deng but overall Hu Jintao has much more power than any of the people occupying the posts you mentioned.

In addition there are strong cases that could be made that Brazil, Russia or India hold more power than Britain or France do but that's far less clear cut and more open to debate.

Lil devils x:

A rightful beef would be pointing out that the Brits are hogging the air conditioning and someone should go cut their power. :)

You're aware this "controversy" is entirely based on one, single, unsubstantiated rumour originating from an Australian athlete, right? I suspect if some Brits had A/C, it's because they brought their own, not that the Olympic organisers installed it only in their rooms.

Of course, it's hard to actively disprove, because the story has died without even reaching a reputable media source. That's probably because no more can be usefully be written on what isn't true, and media who print bullshit because they don't bother to check what is bullshit don't print retractions because it draws attention to the fact they spout bullshit.

keiskay:
the thing is though he didnt randomly spurt this criticism, he was asked and he gave his honest opinion...[snip]

I don't really care how you think something should be the case, or the fact that you'd do it a certain way. That is just you telling us all about you, and you telling us nothing about the people and reality that actually matter.

Simple fact: a big part of diplomacy means not embarrassing your hosts. If you think that's stupid, then good for you: but it still doesn't stop diplomacy being about not embarrassing your hosts.

Da Orky Man:

Planes are fragile things. A SAM doesn't even need to explode in order to nigh-on obliterate a passenger plane. If it hit the wing, that wing is no longer attached to the plane. If it hit the main fuselage, the plane is now in multiple pieces.

I hit the ignore button on that guy, he seems to like coming up with absurd arguments or taking one single point and blowing it out of proportion or leaving context out altogether.

Paranoid or not it will always be better to be overprepared than not prepared at all as long as it doesnt violate a person or privacy. plus having the SAM sites makes the use of a plane for a terrorist attack to be too high of a risk of failure for the effort to hijack and implement. terrorist like everyone else dont like failing and looking incompetent, hurts the recruiting effort.

The building owners may have missed a sweet opurtunity, say yes you can put a SAM launcher on my roof during the Olympics but once they are over and you remove it I want my roof replaced with a new one because mounting the launcher put holes in my roof. Roofing is very expensive, and this would be a no cost almost no risk to the building owner new roof.

OT Romney would make a lousy president for foriegn policy, he proved that in the UK, and he further proves it with his stating military action against Iran (practicly said he will go to war when iran makes another false bravado), and his claiming Russia is a huge threat still.

Insult allies, threaten war, wants to return to the cold war. All around bad.

JET1971:

His handlers have figured out he's such a disaster in this area though and are now stopping all the press from reporting on any of the public fundraisers he's doing in Isreal.

Source

TheGuy(wantstobe):

JET1971:

His handlers have figured out he's such a disaster in this area though and are now stopping all the press from reporting on any of the public fundraisers he's doing in Isreal.

Source

That could be because some more Barclays execs are involved in the fundraiser. Not smart to hide your taxes from the public and claim you did no wrong then associate with some very shady people under investigation for scandals that cost allot of people allot of money internationaly. Just close the doors on the press and pretend its all bullshit just like hiding taxes.

It's pretty bad when Fox news says he is a failure with foriegn policy in London:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/27/us-usa-campaign-romney-idUSBRE86Q1DO20120727

Commentator Charles Krauthammer of Fox News called Romney's performance in London "unbelievable," and "beyond human understanding".

"All Romney has to do is say nothing," Krauthammer said.

"It's like a guy in a 100-meter dash. All he has to do is to finish; he doesn't have to win. And instead, he tackles the guy in the lane next to him and ends up disqualified. I don't get it."

I need to look that one up on youtube, but I hate fox too much to do so.

*edit
Run the slideshow for the pics in the above link and look at the expressions of the people in the background when they look at Mittens. Some good jokes can be made from them.

keiskay:
pray tell me what is a SAM, a rocket designed mainly to take down helicopters, going to do a full sized passenger plane?

When they tried it on the USS Vincennes, it seemed to work nicely. ^_^

Much like was said, passenger planes are vulnerable things. Planes have crashed in the past from losing (small) fragments like for instance just a cargo door. No way they'd be able to fly on after a detonation of high explosive inside the fusselage.

Also, SAM missiles are especially designed to shoot down jets. Against helicoptres you have radar-lead automated cannons, either stationary or mobile. It's the speed and guidance systems that enable SAMs to hit things regular shells generally don't.

I mean, I also think the missiles are more than a little paranoid, but there's no doubt they would work in the one in a billion chance someone uses a plane for terrorism, they find out in time and try to shoot it down.

Axolotl:

Da Orky Man:

arbane:

Kim Jong Un, glorious leader of North Korea!

Gorfias:

Lil devils x:

Gorfias:
I'm reading Romney is now in a 5% lead over Obama:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

I think Romney's gaff was a bad one and even Charles Krauthammer spanked him over it. He wrote something to the effect that all Romney needs to do is be nice, visit places, and shut up.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/312439/romney-abroad-charles-krauthammer

Sounds about correct to me.

I don't pay much mind to polls. Most people hang up when they call. The very weird small percentage of people who actually take the time to answer polls do not speak for the general population. They call my house all the time, Never answered one yet. HAHA! Oh the things my brother does when they call him... he pretends he is talking in an alien language until they hang up.

I don't like Obamas Policies, but Romney makes Obama look better and better every time he opens his mouth.

Polls are odd. I personally hang up on phone polls too. Still, I think it was Romney vs. Kennedy? Polls had them in dead heat, but Kennedy was always 2 points up over Romney. Always. But they called it a dead heat because of a 5% + or - margin of error. Could be Romney. But when it was over, that's what the vote was, couple extra points for Kennedy.

Romney is supposed to lose. The country sucks, but it isn't a "crisis." We have a volunteer military service, relative peace and stable prices. The incumbent should win. But I'm getting the impression this is Romney's to lose, gaffs and all.

Also given that a number of people probably ignore polls on the phone this may not be as accurate,or may say one thing to go with a popular vote when they will vote for something else (ala Prop 8.)

That and things won't get bit until the last three weeks prior to November

JET1971:

Da Orky Man:

Planes are fragile things. A SAM doesn't even need to explode in order to nigh-on obliterate a passenger plane. If it hit the wing, that wing is no longer attached to the plane. If it hit the main fuselage, the plane is now in multiple pieces.

I hit the ignore button on that guy, he seems to like coming up with absurd arguments or taking one single point and blowing it out of proportion or leaving context out altogether.

Paranoid or not it will always be better to be overprepared than not prepared at all as long as it doesnt violate a person or privacy. plus having the SAM sites makes the use of a plane for a terrorist attack to be too high of a risk of failure for the effort to hijack and implement. terrorist like everyone else dont like failing and looking incompetent, hurts the recruiting effort.

The building owners may have missed a sweet opurtunity, say yes you can put a SAM launcher on my roof during the Olympics but once they are over and you remove it I want my roof replaced with a new one because mounting the launcher put holes in my roof. Roofing is very expensive, and this would be a no cost almost no risk to the building owner new roof.

OT Romney would make a lousy president for foriegn policy, he proved that in the UK, and he further proves it with his stating military action against Iran (practicly said he will go to war when iran makes another false bravado), and his claiming Russia is a huge threat still.

yay the ignore button good way to stifle discussion on your part.

So if New York where to install sam turrets on multiple buildings and said "because 9/11" they would be justified so because there is possibility that one day somewhere in the future a terrorist might use a plane to blow up some shit?

Vegosiux:

Heronblade:

The statement itself is simple truth, something we see far too little of from politicians. It is indeed a small nation with few major exports that did not have the resources or manpower to stand against Hitler's blitzkrieg for much longer than the French did.

Well, I suppose Americans won't get upset if China or Russia call them a "small" country, since it's a simple truth that China actually is the "bigger" nation, and Russia is the "bigger" country. But I'll bet you my pancreas that the average American would be offended by the notion of their nation being called "small" by the virtue of being "smaller" than whoever is calling it that.

But that's not the point. The point is that it's poor diplomacy.

Can't say that I would care, China and Russia are larger that us, so what? Seeing the comments above from people from the UK about how much shit they give their own country, what do they care what Americans say? Are they so sensitive that a comment about geography is going to make them upset

OP:Misleading title aside, what exactly did Romney say? If it was just comments about the security issue or the military on people's apartments, I don't think he said anything wrong.

The Gentleman:

BreakfastMan:
I don't disagree with that. I do disagree with the idea that what he said was an insult. It wasn't. If a British person said it, people would not consider it an insult to the country. Hell, if I said that, no one would say that I am insulting Britain. So, why is this considered insulting? I don't get that.

No, it's an insult. It doesn't matter if everyone in the commonwealth thought the Olympics were going poorly, if you're a foreign politician, especially if you're vying for one of the five most powerful positions in the world, you don't denigrate the country you're visiting, even as a minor remark, and especially if they're hosting the Olympic games. You say you're "looking forward to the games" and that is as negative as you get. This is very basic diplomacy, and it appears he can't even do that.

As other people have pointed out, why should a political leader say nothing if they see something wrong with another country?

saint of m:
things won't get bit until the last three weeks prior to November

I hear that. I recall a local radio personality who considered himself something of an insider. He had run large political campaigns. He stated there was no way McCain could take the Republican primary given his positions on things like Immigration and being one of the gang of 7. Then he took it. After he took it, the same guy said he would win over Obama, easily.

So much for these types of guys! And as I recall, McCain was doing OK, and the economy tanked and he looked blithering, unable to even continue his campaign. Shows the American public can be fickle and that last minute things can change people's minds.

I still think this is anyone's to call.

Agema:

keiskay:
I think the main problem is that many a people feel the diplomacy means you gotta be incredibly nice to people when you visit their home. any criticisms, even if valid, should be kept to yourself. which is a bit silly if you think about it.

No, it's basic fucking politeness.

If you have been invited to a dinner party by an acquaintance, you are not supposed to turn up to their house and insult them, their family, their sense of decor, or whatever else. You can, of course - and you can also quite rightly be considered a twat of the highest order.

No its more like everybody decided that they were going to play basketball and Britain competed with others to have his basketball court used for the game. People playing the game are free to say that the court is bumpy and poorly made all they want, nobody forced Britain to volunteer his courtyard.

The Olympics were not created by the British, nor is it a British organization. To use a different example, if the professor decides that students can apply for teaching the class one day and student A is chosen, the rest of the class is free to criticize student A if they mess up the lesson during class.

Agema:

Lil devils x:

A rightful beef would be pointing out that the Brits are hogging the air conditioning and someone should go cut their power. :)

You're aware this "controversy" is entirely based on one, single, unsubstantiated rumour originating from an Australian athlete, right? I suspect if some Brits had A/C, it's because they brought their own, not that the Olympic organisers installed it only in their rooms.

Of course, it's hard to actively disprove, because the story has died without even reaching a reputable media source. That's probably because no more can be usefully be written on what isn't true, and media who print bullshit because they don't bother to check what is bullshit don't print retractions because it draws attention to the fact they spout bullshit.

I viewed it on the front page of MSN NBC. They actually had it on their home page news, was the only reason I was aware of it at all. It may have died there, but here they had it on the home page of MSN, which does reach many more people than most media outlets I would imagine.

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/olympic-village-air-conditioning-controversy/x4p8p1g?cpkey=24b8b839-4c61-4988-9263-f5fe33d36970%7C%7C%7C%7C

http://now.msn.com/british-athletes-have-only-ac-in-olympic-village

http://todayinlondonblog.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/25/12948209-olympic-swimmer-missy-franklin-ill-win-to-shine-some-light-on-colo?lite

Sports news are also covering this:
http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/air-conditioning-olympic-dorms/
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/26/eyes-on-london-air-conditioning-and-last-details546010/

Helmholtz Watson:
<more bullshit snip>

I have no idea why you people are coming up with so much bizarre bullshit.

Anyone of course may criticise the UK's organisation of the Olympics. If Romney were visiting the UK purely in the capacity of a holiday, it would be no big deal. Similarly it wouldn't be much of a big deal were he in the States. And to what extent he's right isn't even the point either.

The point is that it is generally rude, incompetent, and generally frowned upon to criticise, embarrass and insult your hosts when you are a foreign politician visiting on business.

Lil devils x:

I viewed it on the front page of MSN NBC. [quotes snips]

There is one main story. It got unusually hot in London, the dorms don't have A/C (not having A/C is standard in the UK as it's so rarely useful) and it's hotter than many are used to. This is a bit newsworthy alone.

The second is that the UK team has A/C. However, all the many media stories on this, to check through, all root from the hearsay of one, single Australian athlete.

As I said, she might be right. But I'd strongly suggests it's because some Brits brought their own, not because the Olympic organisers installed it in their rooms and not others. It's even hinted at when she talks about the "exhaust pipes". They tend to be hallmarks of portable A/C, as installed A/C usaully extracts direct from an external wall-mounted unit.

Agema:

Helmholtz Watson:
<more bullshit snip>

Anyone of course may criticise the UK's organisation of the Olympics. If Romney were visiting the UK purely in the capacity of a holiday, it would be no big deal. Similarly it wouldn't be much of a big deal were he in the States. And to what extent he's right isn't even the point either.

The point is that it is generally rude, incompetent, and generally frowned upon to criticise, embarrass and insult your hosts when you are a foreign politician visiting on business.

Lil devils x:

I viewed it on the front page of MSN NBC. [quotes snips]

There is one main story. It got unusually hot in London, the dorms don't have A/C (not having A/C is standard in the UK as it's so rarely useful) and it's hotter than many are used to. This is a bit newsworthy alone.

The second is that the UK team has A/C. However, all the many media stories on this, to check through, all root from the hearsay of one, single Australian athlete.

As I said, she might be right. But I'd strongly suggests it's because some Brits brought their own, not because the Olympic organisers installed it in their rooms and not others. It's even hinted at when she talks about the "exhaust pipes". They tend to be hallmarks of portable A/C, as installed A/C usaully extracts direct from an external wall-mounted unit.

Honestly, I was being facetious. In light of all the hoopla people were going on about security and what not, I thought it more entertaining to go on about air conditioning. I do not even consider the temperatures in London to be all that hot considering I live in Texas. Now if there had been no airconditioning in Texas, people would be dying from the conditions here. In London, yes that is above normal, but no where near what we are accustomed to.

I apologize if my poking fun of the situation was offensive, it was only intended to break up some of the more serious issues being discussed such as the Korean flag mix up and the Security difficulties. Yes, the Korean flag one was a terrible blunder, and lets hope since they have a new leader they don't start shooting missles at South Korea over it. With the introduction of a new leader, there is also the hope that relations can be improved, and we want to start out on a good footing of mutual respect. As far as I can tell on the security issues, their idea of use of the miltary was a much better one than their original plan. Of course sometimes things do not go as planned, and for people to be making such a big deal about that is only appearing to be antagonistic and not actually helpful in any way.

Considering right now it is 3:20 am here and our temperature is 82F and Londons current temperature is 61F I would say you guys do not need Air conditioning as much as we do. It is going to be 105F here today.

keiskay:
so lets say you visited a friends house and there where piles of dead bodies lying around it. you would sit there smile and comment on the lovely photograph hanging on the wall instead of addressing the dead guys on the floor?

Well, yeah, and if Britain had freshly dug mass graves just before the Olympics, foreign diplomats should address those as well.

But what does that have to do with anything?

keiskay:

So if New York where to install sam turrets on multiple buildings and said "because 9/11" they would be justified so because there is possibility that one day somewhere in the future a terrorist might use a plane to blow up some shit?

If New York were hosting the most important sporting event on the planet, and had contained within it the busiest airport in the world (and three others- that's a lot of planes), and was going to be a centre where senior members of more than every government on the planet were going to converge, along with millions of other people, in a small crowded area...

Then yeah. It's fucking fine. They'll take them down after. It's not like it's a burden on those who own the houses, I mean, they're not pointing them out of bedroom windows, they're on the roof! Hell, I'd be happy to have the army camping out on my roof for a few weeks. No chance of getting robbed then. If nothing else, it makes people feel safer.

Stop acting like we should give a crap about this.

Lil devils x:
It is going to be 105F here today.

It's more about what you're used to. The average temperature here rarely goes beyond 10-20 degrees centigrade (18-36F), so when it jumps up to almost double that people just bake.

At least, the locals do. I can't speak for the Olympic parties from all those hot countries.

Agema:

Helmholtz Watson:
<more bullshit snip>

Romney wasn't comment on how the UK handled the London Riots, or the Troubles in Belfast, he made a comment on the Olympics. There is nothing rude or incompetent about pointing out the obvious in regards to a sports event. If the UK is so thin skinned about any criticism that foreign officials have for them in how they manage the Olympics, then perhaps next time the UK should avoid applying for the host position. Honestly, it really isn't that big of an issue about what he said.

Lil devils x:

Honestly, I was being facetious. In light of all the hoopla people were going on about security and what not, I thought it more entertaining to go on about air conditioning.

Okay; it's just your first comment on it way back in the file looked pretty serious and I wasn't aware you were now just ribbing.

Helmholtz Watson:
Romney wasn't comment on how the UK handled the London Riots, or the Troubles in Belfast, he made a comment on the Olympics. There is nothing rude or incompetent about pointing out the obvious in regards to a sports event. If the UK is so thin skinned about any criticism that foreign officials have for them in how they manage the Olympics, then perhaps next time the UK should avoid applying for the host position. Honestly, it really isn't that big of an issue about what he said.

No, I still don't think you quite get it. The issue is Romney, not tangential, deflecting fluff about the UK.

Romney went to the UK in some part to show himself off to his home audience as a statesman, and then proceeded to embarrass himself with diplomatic blunders. (Gaffes which the Democrats have been capitalising on.) Deal with it.

Agema:

Romney went to the UK in some part to show himself off to his home audience as a statesman, and then proceeded to embarrass himself with diplomatic blunders. (Gaffes which the Democrats have been capitalising on.) Deal with it.

He was asked a question and he answered honestly. I see no issue with that, but apparently you do. That is fine, but I think your making mountains out of mole hills.

As I said before, he didn't comment on some super sensitive subject like the London Riots or the Belfast Troubles, he answered a question about a sports event.

Helmholtz Watson:
He was asked a question and he answered honestly. I see no issue with that, but apparently you do.

No, it's not about me either. I do not write the guidelines on diplomatic conduct, and my opinion on how bad what Romney said is neither here nor there. I merely need observe the reactions of people who do deal with diplomacy to see how it works.

As I said before, he didn't comment on some super sensitive subject like the London Riots or the Belfast Troubles, he answered a question about a sports event.

And you're wrong again another way: the Olympics are in fact a sensitive issue. They are largely organised under the auspices of government and funded with billions in public money. The Olympics thus reflect on the host and its government; criticisms of its organisation reflect on the host government. The British government therefore risks embarrassment internationally and perhaps worse nationally when things go wrong. So they don't want foreign politicians coming over and giving press conferences talking up problems.

Da Orky Man:

Axolotl:

Da Orky Man:

The Prime Minister of the UK isn't especially powerful. The position doesn't carry with it the kind of executive power comparable with being President of the USA. The power comes almost entirely from being able to appoint the cabinet and (usually) having a majority in parliament.

Agema:

Helmholtz Watson:
He was asked a question and he answered honestly. I see no issue with that, but apparently you do.

No, it's not about me either. I do not write the guidelines on diplomatic conduct, and my opinion on how bad what Romney said is neither here nor there. I merely need observe the reactions of people who do deal with diplomacy to see how it works.

The man answered a simple question honestly and said what the papers have been pointing out. He did nothing wrong.

Agema:

And you're wrong again another way: the Olympics are in fact a sensitive issue. They are largely organised under the auspices of government and funded with billions in public money. The Olympics thus reflect on the host and its government; criticisms of its organisation reflect on the host government. The British government therefore risks embarrassment internationally and perhaps worse nationally when things go wrong. So they don't want foreign politicians coming over and giving press conferences talking up problems.

Then they should see to it that no mistakes are made, because people have a right to call them out on it.

Helmholtz Watson:

Agema:
[quote="Helmholtz Watson" post="528.383278.15180088"]He was asked a question and he answered honestly. I see no issue with that, but apparently you do.

The man answered a simple question honestly and said what the papers have been pointing out. He did nothing wrong.
[quote]

Maybe one more post will get it through to you. It has nothing to do with him pointing out what the media have been saying or telling the truth or anything like that. He was in the UK as a diplomat, speaking to British officials in regards to his future plans if he wins the election. Proper conduct for such talks is to never criticize the host nation to the press during your visit and don't spill details the host nation don't want you spilling.

Romney not only questioned their ability to hold the Olympics, he revealed that he spoke to MI6, something that was suppose to be secret.

If Romney said what he said to American press in America it would be no problem. The problem is he said it while he was representing America at a diplomatic level.

I did not make the rules and I don't know who did, but the rules of diplomacy are you don't badmouth your hosts to the press. It does not matter if the host is the UK, China or Somalia, you do not do it.

pyrate:

Helmholtz Watson:

Agema:
[quote="Helmholtz Watson" post="528.383278.15180088"]He was asked a question and he answered honestly. I see no issue with that, but apparently you do.

[quote]

Maybe one more post will get it through to you. It has nothing to do with him pointing out what the media have been saying or telling the truth or anything like that. He was in the UK as a diplomat, speaking to British officials in regards to his future plans if he wins the election. Proper conduct for such talks is to never criticize the host nation to the press during your visit and don't spill details the host nation don't want you spilling.

Romney not only questioned their ability to hold the Olympics, he revealed that he spoke to MI6, something that was suppose to be secret.

If Romney said what he said to American press in America it would be no problem. The problem is he said it while he was representing America at a diplomatic level.

I did not make the rules and I don't know who did, but the rules of diplomacy are you don't badmouth your hosts to the press. It does not matter if the host is the UK, China or Somalia, you do not do it.

Well the MI6 thing, I can understand that. As for his other comment, he wasn't speaking to the UK political leaders, he was speaking to NBC news(an America news network). He was well within his right to answer the question honestly.

pyrate:

Maybe one more post will get it through to you.

Well, I doubt it, because someone who has spent this long resolutely refusing to see the point seems to me pretty unlikely ever to.

Whether that's genuine incomprehension or deflection to ideologically carry water for Team [Whatever] I can't say, but I'm not wasting any more time on bullshit. Feel free to continue it, though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked