Is this an atheist forum?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I am new here and it seems that this forum is pro atheism. I was just wondering because its labeled as religion/politics but if religion is not welcome here I would like to know now so I know not to post here.

There is certainly an extremist anti-religious group present, but I've also seen some good discussions and there are both religious and open minded people on these forums. Sadly they are often sidelined by the evangelical atheists though.

Yeah, no sky daddies allowed! Get your bible-thumping ass out, we don't serve your kind here! /silly

Not really. There are a lot of atheists but that doesn't mean theists aren't welcome.

Okay so pro-atheism not my kinda place thanks for the input

MAKAVELI:
Okay so pro-atheism not my kinda place thanks for the input

the forum is fairly neutral there are a few more extremist members here but you can put them on ignore if you desire.

Yeah, this forum tends to have a pretty big anti-theist component. Heck, even in the past modded posts have been in favor of blatant flaming antitheism over blatant flaming pro religionists. There is still a pretty good balance though. However, in lots of religion articles, chances are the anti-theists will come in and cause some chaos.

I was just asking to know before I started posting here thanks again

MAKAVELI:
I am new here and it seems that this forum is pro atheism. I was just wondering because its labeled as religion/politics but if religion is not welcome here I would like to know now so I know not to post here.

So your goal was to insure people were like minded and accepting of your views before you expressed them? If you don't have the conviction to defend your beliefs in the face of adversity, you shouldn't claim them.

If others challenging your beliefs is a problem, you are either not cut out for debating. Or have too little faith in your religion. Now, on theese forums a pro-religious stance doesnt often result in a flamewar. However, I must warn you. The usual fundamentalist christianity-stuff like anti-homosexuality/anti-women/anti islam. Is looked down upon.

However if you are a reasonable Christian that (if catholic) rejects the Vatican and/or (If protestant) the religious nuts in the US often up in the media (Because they attract lots of viewers or something) and have fairly moderate political stances not based on religion but rather forms your own personal stance that forms your political ideology. Then you will probably fit right in, even if you arent an atheist.

recruit00:
Yeah, this forum tends to have a pretty big anti-theist component. Heck, even in the past modded posts have been in favor of blatant flaming antitheism over blatant flaming pro religionists. There is still a pretty good balance though. However, in lots of religion articles, chances are the anti-theists will come in and cause some chaos.

I think that comes from simply having more anti-theists here than crazy religious nuts. The latter tends to stay away from places like theese because they hate having they cant argue fer shit. I find though that what their forums tend to do is just outright ban anti-theists(And Atheists) instantly.. I havent seen this forum ban people for being religious so I guess that does prove your point at being fairly balanced.

@DevilWithaHalo I dont want to have to debate/defend my beliefs every time I post and saying I shouldent claim because of this is exactly the type of mentality I try to avoid

MAKAVELI:
@DevilWithaHalo I dont want to have to debate/defend my beliefs every time I post and saying I shouldent claim because of this is exactly the type of mentality I try to avoid

Depends on what you post in the first place.

If you post a "I'm right, and you're not" themed post, yea, we're going on the attack.

If you post on hot button issues (sexuality, religious violence, ect...) with a religious viewpoint, yea, we're going to respond there too.

If you want immunity from criticism if you provoke people then you won't get it. If you don't mind provoke, you won't have to worry about it.

BTW, not an atheist.

We only bite if you say something really stupid, like "the earth was created in six days" or "god hates fags."

It may be called Religion and Politics, but the vast majority of the time it's just Politics. Sometimes religion enters into the political discussion and sometimes it doesn't.

L

MAKAVELI:

You're entering a debate section of a forum and wanting to give your side but not listen to any talking back?

If you don't want to debate religion fine, avoid posting in those topics, I guess. Nobody can force you to divulge your beliefs. And realistically if they don't come up nobody will debate them. Most of the topics here are political anyways.

If you just wanted to sermonise at us unprovoked like as if none of us had ever heard of God and expect all of us to vacate our voices in your favor, then yeah you might not have a great time. Because that isn't likely to happen.

But nobody's going to single you out to ridicule for having beliefs we don't even know about like "Lol get a load of that Maka guy and his having ideas I don't know about, amirite?!", that's just stupid.

So just evaluate what you want to say and why. Did you want to debate politics while happening to believe in god? You should be fine. Did you want to debate the merits or reality if your God? You should be fine, but expect the debate. Did you want to lecture us or yell at us like a crazy sandwich board carrying person? Then you might find a blog somewhere that can't talk back.

There are a lot of atheists and anti-theists (myself included. Hi there. Welcome) here, but all that means is that if you enter a thread where the validity of religious beliefs is being discussed, you'll be up for a lot of discussion.
It's not like we'll go and bring your religion into other discussions and shit.

Basically: If your religious views are relevant to the discussion you're entering, expect them to be discussed and perhaps attacked (shocker, I know).
Any other discussion: Unless you bring up your religion, expect nothing out of the ordinary.

evilneko:
We only bite if you say something really stupid, like "the earth was created in six days" or "god hates fags."

Not exactly true. The last several times anyone posted an "Even though I'm a Christian, I don't believe x and y stereotypical Christian anti-gay positions" thread, half the forum jumped down their neck. Because apparently they shouldn't be talking about it here, and they're still guilty of Christian wrongdoing even if they didn't personally do it because they didn't stop other Christians from doing it, even if not all Christians actually do it. Apparently.

This is a very anti-religious environment[1], and there is a large group of people who might not directly attack posters in particular (so as not to trigger a mod warning), but feel absolutely nothing wrong with lashing out at religion as a whole (as though it was a whole) every time the topic comes up.

That's not a debate, that's just being a dick. And because of the way the mods work, it rarely gets punished.

It may be called Religion and Politics, but the vast majority of the time it's just Politics.

In my case, that's because there are so few people here willing to have a serious discussion about religion. It get irritating trying to have a serious discussion when twenty attention-seekers jump in to make bullshit claims about religion as a whole just so they can feel good about themselves every time the word 'religion' even comes up in the thread.

[1] Or rather, it's a very anti-Christian/anti-Muslim environment with a large group of members who are persistently incapable of recognizing that those are not the only religions that exist or that the interpretations of these religions that they oppose are not the only interpretations and may not even be the most common interpretations.

Katatori-kun:

evilneko:

Not exactly true. The last several times anyone posted an "Even though I'm a Christian, I don't believe x and y stereotypical Christian anti-gay positions" thread, half the forum jumped down their neck. Because apparently they shouldn't be talking about it here, and they're still guilty of Christian wrongdoing even if they didn't personally do it because they didn't stop other Christians from doing it, even if not all Christians actually do it. Apparently.

This is a very anti-religious environment[1], and there is a large group of people who might not directly attack posters in particular (so as not to trigger a mod warning), but feel absolutely nothing wrong with lashing out at religion as a whole (as though it was a whole) every time the topic comes up.

That's not a debate, that's just being a dick. And because of the way the mods work, it rarely gets punished.

It may be called Religion and Politics, but the vast majority of the time it's just Politics.

In my case, that's because there are so few people here willing to have a serious discussion about religion. It get irritating trying to have a serious discussion when twenty attention-seekers jump in to make bullshit claims about religion as a whole just so they can feel good about themselves every time the word 'religion' even comes up in the thread.

I would like to see those thread, im a regular poster here for the last two years and havent seen it. It sounds like its recent so you must have an example of half of everyone in this forum attacking a christian for being christian.

[1] Or rather, it's a very anti-Christian/anti-Muslim environment with a large group of members who are persistently incapable of recognizing that those are not the only religions that exist or that the interpretations of these religions that they oppose are not the only interpretations and may not even be the most common interpretations.

Nikolaz72:

However if you are a reasonable Christian that (if catholic) rejects the Vatican...

Hey, you haven't kicked me out yet.

DevilWithaHalo:

So your goal was to insure people were like minded and accepting of your views before you expressed them? If you don't have the conviction to defend your beliefs in the face of adversity, you shouldn't claim them.

...here. I ammend this statement to "you shouldn't claim them here."

MAKAVELI:

Just relax and join the fun, we don't bite. And remember that internet debates are not a contest of who can say the best things, they're a contest of who can go the longest without saying something stupid.

And so long as you haven't said something stupid to warrent an attack, there's almost certainly a like-minded person around to back you up. (Unless you're Danyal, then you might actually not have that like-minded person around.)

Nikolaz72:
I would like to see those thread, im a regular poster here for the last two years and havent seen it. It sounds like its recent so you must have an example of half of everyone in this forum attacking a christian for being christian.

Here are two:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.354162-A-personal-plea-from-a-Chrstian-gamer#14063691

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.376153-A-Loving-Concerned-Christian-on-Gay-Marriage-and-Overall-Rights-Not-what-you-may-think?page=1

I notice in the second one you even posted.

MAKAVELI:
I was just asking to know before I started posting here thanks again

Way too timid, such a weak faith is hardly worth having IMO.
Let me show you how it's done:

evilneko:
We only bite if you say something really stupid, like "the earth was created in six days"

It was.

or "god hates fags."

He does.

Cakes:

evilneko:
We only bite if you say something really stupid, like "the earth was created in six days"

It was.

or "god hates fags."

He does.

Awwww snap!

Anyway, OP, many users here are nice and accepting to diverse religious views, however as others pointed out there are many who are now. There are a few kinds of atheists you'll meet on here, OP. Or rather, logical fallacies made by atheists which you would do well to recognize early and avoid if you do enter into a discussion about religion, specifically Christianity because that's mostly what we end up talking about around here. They are:

1. The ones who believe every bad thing every Christian has ever done is your fault.

2. The ones who believe you "aren't doing it right" if you happen to not believe in the more bigoted religious values (like homosexuality or birth control being bad).

3. The ones who believe you have some obligation to "correct" the bigoted beliefs fundamentalists, and the fact that they do hold such beliefs is your fault.

4. The ones who believe it's just too darn confusing to have so many people who call themselves Christians, and rather than just getting to know you before making assumptions about you, they insist that you should take on some other moniker like Wagdoodles or Jackobees.

5. The ones who believe all religions are evil to the core and no matter how much you talk to them, they will always only have bad things to say about you and your religion.

Katatori-kun:

Nikolaz72:

Here are two:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.354162-A-personal-plea-from-a-Chrstian-gamer#14063691

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.376153-A-Loving-Concerned-Christian-on-Gay-Marriage-and-Overall-Rights-Not-what-you-may-think?page=1

*Sigh* However vocal they might be Stagnant and Danyel doesnt make up half of our community. That being said im glad all I did was say 'Good on you'... although im also glad I didnt recieve a warning for low content xD.

The rest seemed alright to me? Although I did only read the two pages you linked.

We might see it with different eyes.

In the same way that America is full of Christians and has quite a few people that would go as far to claim that it is a Christian country, The Escapist is full of Atheists and has quite a few people that would call it an atheist board. Neither of which are true FYI, both are secular and the admins or government mostly keep far away from those arguments to keep people feeling welcome.

First reply and certain others exaggerate. Lilani and Katatori are both believers as far as I know, and don't automatically get flamed every time they say something about their faith. It helps that they are among the most level-headed posters on this subforum. There are some extremists here, both atheists and believers, but they don't make up the majority, as far as I can see. Talking about religion isn't flame bait by itself, just certain aspects of it.

For example, if you claim that morality isn't possible without a belief in God, you can expect some hostility. Of course, you might have had it coming because you will have implied that a lot of people on the forum are immoral, and insulting people, directly or by implication, isn't a good way to start a cordial dialog.

If you need to make a thread just to make sure there's none of those dirty atheists around to challenge your beliefs, then perhaps you're right, OP, this place isn't for you. One thing I've noticed that doesn't seem to fly here is when people get their back up when someone challenges what they post. That's like red meat around here.

Perhaps somewhere populated only by like-minded individuals is more your speed.

Not really, in general most people are content to live and let live concerning all but the most idiotic beliefs. However as others mentoned there is a quite vocal minority that will be much less.....cordial.

There are atheists on this board and they favour atheism. There are also religious people who favour religion.

@Damien Granz I never said a thing about debate. I just wanted to know if when I post whether or not it was going to be a majority of atheists responding.

MAKAVELI:
@Damien Granz I never said a thing about debate. I just wanted to know if when I post whether or not it was going to be a majority of atheists responding.

So what if it is? This is a forum for political and religious discussion, not self-affirmation.

MAKAVELI:

As long as you don't base your arguments on things that cannot be supported, this shouldn't matter at all.

@Donuthole Okay thats fine I just wanted to know which is why I asked

MAKAVELI:

Yeah, you're sort of sounding like "I don't want no atheists talking to me" at which point, no, this isn't going to be the board for you. I mean, if you're not asking about their ideas, just whether or not they exist, what do you want them to do, just stop talking any time you enter a thread or something?

Katatori-kun:

Nikolaz72:

Here are two:

You've seemed lately very much increasingly to have a very large chip on your shoulder over this, and I think it's because you're meeting a lot of opposition from people when you try to divide terrible religious beliefs that guide actions of some people away from the actions of those people, in such a way as to keep any belief immaculate and innocent no matter how terrible.

And if you can't do that you seem to deny at any instance that any religion has ever had any bad ideas ever, and if somebody brings one up, we're just wrong and misunderstanding the scripture.

It's gotten so bad that you can't barely enter into a thread without complaining about how horrible we and the moderation treat you at every turn for not accepting the to you apparent truth that religion or a religious belief has never ever not once ever said nothing bad or caused anybody to do anything bad ever.

On the other hand:

McMullen:
First reply and certain others exaggerate. Lilani and Katatori are both believers as far as I know, and don't automatically get flamed every time they say something about their faith. It helps that they are among the most level-headed posters on this subforum. There are some extremists here, both atheists and believers, but they don't make up the majority, as far as I can see. Talking about religion isn't flame bait by itself, just certain aspects of it.

For example, if you claim that morality isn't possible without a belief in God, you can expect some hostility. Of course, you might have had it coming because you will have implied that a lot of people on the forum are immoral, and insulting people, directly or by implication, isn't a good way to start a cordial dialog.

Lilani's religious and makes no real attempts to hide this, though I've never seen her throw it in anybody's face either.

If somebody points out that such and such religious belief has caused somebody to act on that belief in such and such bad way, Lilani seems to be more of the camp to be like "I'm sorry they did that. I don't believe in that specific belief.". She doesn't deny those people exist or those beliefs exist, or try to isolate the belief from the behavior they cause in a way to keep the whole of religion as pure and saintly as white snow, so she gets much less guff about it. It's just like "Sorry they do that, I don't believe that, this is what I believe" and that's fine and really all anybody can ask.

If I had to point out to the sort of Christian I do like, she'd be a good quick example. Her religion is a part of her without being her sword or a tender glowing weak point that causes her to flip out.

@Damien Granz I just asked a question got my answers and far as I can see this is not the forum for me. Once again thx for your input is appreciated

MAKAVELI:
@Damien Granz I just asked a question got my answers and far as I can see this is not the forum for me. Once again thx for your input is appreciated

May I ask if they said that there wasn't a single atheist on this board and its just full of religious people, would it then be a forum for you?

MAKAVELI:

You avoid being challenged or questioned...? Heh. This is funny. You see why, yes?

Damien Granz:
You've seemed lately very much increasingly to have a very large chip on your shoulder over this,

The fact that blaming a group for the actions of a minority of members of the group is a fallacy hasn't just been my central thesis on this site, it's been the central thesis of my life, including all websites I participate in. I have no chip on my shoulder about this. I wouldn't know why you're increasingly aware of it.

and I think it's because you're meeting a lot of opposition from people when you try to divide terrible religious beliefs that guide actions of some people away from the actions of those people, in such a way as to keep any belief immaculate and innocent no matter how terrible.

You're welcome to believe that if you want, but it would be a factually incorrect belief you made up. Whether or not you want to live in an imaginary wonderland is up to you, but I'd advise you not to try and pass off those lies to others.

And if you can't do that you seem to deny at any instance that any religion has ever had any bad ideas ever,

Religions don't have ideas. They're inanimate, abstract, incorporeal concepts. People have ideas.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked