Paralysed man not allowed to die.

Pages PREV 1 2

Seanchaidh:

Kendarik:

MammothBlade:

I'm aware of that - there are multiple groups opposing willful euthanasia, some of which are open to negotiation. It's just the religious conservatives who are potentially the biggest obstacle to this. I'm interested in realpolitik here. To get everyone to agree is impossible, but to force the enemy to surrender, to turn the balance of power so that you win and they lose, that's a plausible strategy. If people are won over that's a bonus, but there is some very stubborn resistance which needs to have its arm twisted ruthlessly until it backs down.

Except your solution will only toughen their resolve. Just look at that US chicken place to see what I mean.

You don't need to win over everyone. Just enough to thoroughly change the political reality.

You are missing the point. By being an ass you are likely to win over no one.

Kendarik:

Stublore:

The guys is lucid and communicated his wishes clearly.

Actually I wondered about that. Must be hard to communicate clearly when you only have eye movement.

Why don't you ask him directly on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/TonyNicklinson

I think he's one extremely brave man and worthy of much respect. Instead of taking the "easy" option and travelling to Switzerland to die he's standing up not only for himself but others in a similar condition.

http://www.channel4.com/news/this-is-about-one-man-who-wants-to-control-his-lifes-end

GoaThief:

Kendarik:

Stublore:

The guys is lucid and communicated his wishes clearly.

Actually I wondered about that. Must be hard to communicate clearly when you only have eye movement.

Why don't you ask him directly on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/TonyNicklinson

I think he's one extremely brave man and worthy of much respect. Instead of taking the "easy" option and travelling to Switzerland to die he's standing up not only for himself but others in a similar condition.

http://www.channel4.com/news/this-is-about-one-man-who-wants-to-control-his-lifes-end

I wasn't doubting he made the choice, or that he was being brave to stand up to the system. I support him in his quest.

I was acting a literal question there... How DOES he communicate with only eye movement? I assumed there was some kind of computer, but the one shown in that video seems to have his wife typing for him. That's actually the first point of doubt I've had.

Morse code, probably...

Kendarik:

Seanchaidh:

Kendarik:

Except your solution will only toughen their resolve. Just look at that US chicken place to see what I mean.

You don't need to win over everyone. Just enough to thoroughly change the political reality.

You are missing the point. By being an ass you are likely to win over no one.

Opposing people's bodily autonomy on the grounds that they'll use it to end their own massive suffering is being an ass. Humiliating the kinds of people who would do so by throwing that fact in their face is not "being an ass". Just because it ought to make people feel bad doesn't make it "being an ass".

The human condition has worshiped it's own preservation and put awareness through hell long enough. The future is misanthropic.

Just a quick update, Tony Nicklinson died this morning from natural causes.
While it does seem like nature was on his side all along, it doesn't take away the issue that euthanasia should be an option to people like Nicklinson.

Rest in peace, mate.

EDIT: Here's a full article from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19341722

I'm not too sure about the natural causes. It's fairly convenient a time for it to happen. While not impossible or implausible, it's easily possible that one of his relatives granted him his wish even if the courts would not.

Maybe they wanted to try and see that if euthenasia is banned in England, they want a test trial to see if helping someone get euthenasia illegally will result in punishment, and if so how much.

Then again, that's something for after it turns out that's actually the case.

Blablahb:
I'm not too sure about the natural causes. It's fairly convenient a time for it to happen. While not impossible or implausible, it's easily possible that one of his relatives granted him his wish even if the courts would not.

Maybe they wanted to try and see that if euthenasia is banned in England, they want a test trial to see if helping someone get euthenasia illegally will result in punishment, and if so how much.

Then again, that's something for after it turns out that's actually the case.

It deed seem fairly convenient. But the British police is not going to investigate it any further.
And apparently he refused to eat after the trial, my guess is he starved himself to death. The time it took seems about right.
A shame that he had to suffer like that, really. He could have gone peacefully and free of pain, but not even that small mercy was given to him.

I'm glad he got his wish in the end... but he could have died in a more pleasant way. This has gone on long enough. There are plenty of others like him who will be denied an end to their suffering for a long time.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked