Those who sign secession: Deport Peacefully

Pages 1 2 NEXT

According to msNOW:

After people in more than 20 states submitted petitions asking to secede from the union in the wake of the election, the other side has hit back with a seemingly tongue-in-cheek response of, "if you don't like it, leave." On Monday, someone called "Douglas H." of Escondido, Calif., filed a petition against the secessionist movement at the White House website, asking that everyone who signed the petitions be "peacefully deported." The deportation initiative has gone rabidly viral too, with amused Twitter users taunting, jeering, and signing away.

Added from Examiner.com:

Many critics and skeptics have pointed out that secession by these states would result in a variety of unintended consequences, including potential economic ruin for the affected citizens. One of the most populous states to file a secession petition, New York, received $3 billion in federal aid in 2010. Texas, in particular, has been cited by many as a state which can't afford to secede. The state received just over $1.5 billion in federal aid in 2010, according to a report published by the U.S. Census Bureau. The Texas petition has received over 60,000 digital signatures, over the required threshold to receive official consideration from the White House.

Louisiana, the state whose petition movement started it all, received just under $3 billion in federal aid in 2010, while Florida received a little over $1.5 billion. Such federal aid is considered vital to the economic and governmental health of these states, and for that reason many critics believe the secession petitions amount to little more than online demonstrations.

Do you think they should be deported?

Deported to where? America is the last bastion of such far right wing politics in high human index countries with a western culture. ALL other similar countries are more liberalish. What are they hoping to escape to? Unless they wanna put up with a fairly extreme culture shock.

Deport them to WHERE? Deportation is sending a person back to their home country after breaking a law. You cannot do that to US citizens born in the US. You cannot dump them in Mexico or somewhere else just because they have an opinion you do not like. The first amendment is still a thing, you cannot be punished for saying your mind. Even if your opinion is stupid.

BiscuitTrouser:
Deported to where? America is the last bastion of such right wing politics in the modern world. ALL other countries are more liberal. What are they hoping to escape to?

Are you shitting me? Wait, wait - what do you mean by "modern" world? This awfully smells of racism. Not everyone is a liberal y'know. Sometimes you stop political reform at some point.

TheIronRuler:

BiscuitTrouser:
Deported to where? America is the last bastion of such right wing politics in the modern world. ALL other countries are more liberal. What are they hoping to escape to?

Are you shitting me? Wait, wait - what do you mean by "modern" world? This awfully smells of racism. Not everyone is a liberal y'know. Sometimes you stop political reform at some point.

I mean the world in this day and age, while not being LIBERAL persay, is MORE liberal than America in most countries. If you can name another country with similar standard of living to america that is more right wing id love to hear it (not that the two are related just that at this moment in time countries with similar standard of living are more left wing). How is it racist....

As mentioned, transported, not deported. Australia is usually cited as a destination for prisoners being transported, but Britain used to transport criminals to what is now Georgia, so maybe the US could give that a go.

And Australia doesn't want them.

TheIronRuler:

BiscuitTrouser:

its honestly hard to think of a western country that is as right wing as the usa.. maybe the vatican city in all honesty is all i can think about

thaluikhain:
As mentioned, transported, not deported. Australia is usually cited as a destination for prisoners being transported, but Britain used to transport criminals to what is now Georgia, so maybe the US could give that a go.

actually we do. they can hand out free condoms and lube at the gay and lesbian mardi gras each year :D

wombat_of_war:

TheIronRuler:

BiscuitTrouser:

its honestly hard to think of a western country that is as right wing as the usa.. maybe the vatican city in all honesty is all i can think about

That would depend on your definition of "western", though...you could argue it precludes far right governments.

BiscuitTrouser:

TheIronRuler:

BiscuitTrouser:

I mean the world in this day and age, while not being LIBERAL persay, is MORE liberal than America in most countries. If you can name another country with similar standard of living to america that is more right wing id love to hear it. How is it racist....

Via the UN's Human Development Index... Israel, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain. They have "very high" in the index.

BiscuitTrouser:

You really should take a look at what's happening in Europe - the UK, Belgium, Spain, and even Italy have similar issues(with both ethnic and economical reasons), Catalonia wants to break away from Spain, the "ethnic" rivalry in Belgium threatens to split the country into 2, in Italy the "northern league" wants to create a separate state(the saying "Garibaldi did not unite Italy but split Africa" is how many N. Italians regard the poor south), and Scotland is seriously pursuing to split off from the UK.
On top of that as a response to increasing immigration(and how its rather poorly handled by the EU) you have right wing parties winging more and more seats in virtually every EU country for close to a decade now, so yeah i don't really see how you can say that the US is the last bastion of such ideologies and politics.

TheIronRuler:

Via the UN's Human Development Index... Israel, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain. They have "very high" in the index.

Thats not a bad list. Bit of a culture shock for americans to live there though. Not many of those are culturally similar to the USA at all. Isreal seems like the best candidate. You need to narrow that list down again to countries who would accept that many US citizens. Still a bit of a culture shock though. And arguably not the same "right wing" as americans want. Although definitely right wing i doubt many would agree with various laws in these countries.

Qatar has a few freedom of religion issues:

Foreign nationals are free to affiliate with their faiths other than Islam, e.g. Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism and Bahai, as long as they are religious in private and do not offend 'public order' or 'morality'.
In March 2008, a Roman Catholic church, Our Lady of the Rosary, was consecrated in Doha. No missionaries were allowed in the community. The church will have no bells, crosses or other Christian symbols on it and its premises.

So no full churches.

UAE:

"It is illegal in the UAE to spread the ideas of any religion apart from Islam through any form of media as it is considered a form of proselytizing"
Its also impossible to become a citizen. There is no system for doing so in UAE.

Bahrain:

Arabic is the national language. This might be an issue. This seems alright though, no major religious violations. Although they still use torture. Bit iffy. And women got the vote in 2002.

Isreal seems the best option. It also has a good relation with the USA.

However, and i KNOW this is a minority of the group wishing to deport, the majority of citizens in all of these countries (bar isreal) are muslim, only 2-9% are christian. This will probably turn off the more extreme christians in the group that wants to deport.

Out of interest how did you think i was being racist? Did you think i meant "Civilised countries?" because i definitely did not.

Pfft, they don't deport anyone else. Why would they deport signers of a petition. Oh, and you are forgetting that the "right to petition government for redress of grievances" is guaranteed in the First Amendment.

You don't have to agree with it, but it's their right to sign any petition they want. I disagree with flag burning, but people have the right to do that too.

How is it possible to claim to be "open minded" and be so intolerant at the same time?

Verbatim:

You really should take a look at what's happening in Europe - the UK, Belgium, Spain, and even Italy have similar issues(with both ethnic and economical reasons), Catalonia wants to break away from Spain, the "ethnic" rivalry in Belgium threatens to split the country into 2, in Italy the "northern league" wants to create a separate state(the saying "Garibaldi did not unite Italy but split Africa" is how many N. Italians regard the poor south), and Scotland is seriously pursuing to split off from the UK.
On top of that as a response to increasing immigration(and how its rather poorly handled by the EU) you have right wing parties winging more and more seats in virtually every EU country for close to a decade now, so yeah i don't really see how you can say that the US is the last bastion of such ideologies and politics.

I agree such schisms are happening almost elsewhere, thats not my point.

I mean at this moment, at THIS moment, the majority of first world countries have a leftER wing government than the USA. By a pretty fair margin. Its not so much the last bastion for these ideologies. Its just a lot further right than MANY other high development index countries.

BiscuitTrouser:

TheIronRuler:

Thats not a bad list. Bit of a culture shock for americans to live there though. Not many of those are culturally similar to the USA at all. Isreal seems like the best candidate. You need to narrow that list down again to countries who would accept that many US citizens. Still a bit of a culture shock though. And arguably not the same "right wing" as americans want. Although definitely right wing i doubt many would agree with various laws in these countries.

Qatar has a few freedom of religion issues:

Foreign nationals are free to affiliate with their faiths other than Islam, e.g. Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism and Bahai, as long as they are religious in private and do not offend 'public order' or 'morality'.
In March 2008, a Roman Catholic church, Our Lady of the Rosary, was consecrated in Doha. No missionaries were allowed in the community. The church will have no bells, crosses or other Christian symbols on it and its premises.

So no full churches.

UAE:

"It is illegal in the UAE to spread the ideas of any religion apart from Islam through any form of media as it is considered a form of proselytizing"
Its also impossible to become a citizen. There is no system for doing so in UAE.

Bahrain:

Arabic is the national language. This might be an issue. This seems alright though, no major religious violations. Although they still use torture. Bit iffy. And women got the vote in 2002.

Isreal seems the best option. It also has a good relation with the USA.

However, and i KNOW this is a minority of the group wishing to deport, the majority of citizens in all of these countries (bar isreal) are muslim, only 2-9% are christian. This will probably turn off the more extreme christians in the group that wants to deport.

Out of interest how did you think i was being racist? Did you think i meant "Civilised countries?" because i definitely did not.

Yes, it had a lot of racist undertones. It felt as if you said the 'west' or 'the white people countries' are better than the other countries in the world.

TheIronRuler:

Yes, it had a lot of racist undertones. It felt as if you said the 'west' or 'the white people countries' are better than the other countries in the world.

I can see how it came over that way :/ Ill edit it to make it clearer. Thats definitely NOT want i want to express.

KingWein22:
Do you think they should be deported?

Hell no.

Under what precedent can you strip people of their citizenship for signing a stupid petition?

The most I could maybe stretch it to is Korematsu (and even that's a stretch that I can barely make), which is regarded as one of the worst rulings in the history of the Supreme Court.

So no. Sure, you can advocate it all you want. The first amendment protects you even when you're trying to deny it to others, but it will never ever happen.

BiscuitTrouser:

Verbatim:

I agree such schisms are happening almost elsewhere, thats not my point.

I mean at this moment, at THIS moment, the majority of first world countries have a leftER wing government than the USA. By a pretty fair margin. Its not so much the last bastion for these ideologies. Its just a lot further right than MANY other high development index countries.

I would not say so, not in Europe, heck the largest party in the European Parliament(EPP) is right leaning.
EU politics for the most part are quite conservative, they might have different socioeconomic views but you can't compare Europe to the US, 2 completely different forms of government and social traditions.
The US is a Federated state, and originally conceived to be much smaller of a government than what it grew into today, many people in the US want to live in a more independent state rather than under a big governmental umbrella, it has nothing to do with right wing vs left
wing.
And for the past several years, especially after the financial crisis many Europeans feel the same about the EU, they do not like that a couple of guys from Luxemburg sitting in Brussels dictating them how the should act and how much they should spend and on what.

Verbatim:

I would not say so, not in Europe, heck the largest party in the European Parliament(EPP) is right leaning.
EU politics for the most part are quite conservative, they might have different socioeconomic views but you can't compare Europe to the US, 2 completely different forms of government and social traditions.
The US is a Federated state, and originally conceived to be much smaller of a government than what it grew into today, many people in the US want to live in a more independent state rather than under a big governmental umbrella, it has nothing to do with right wing vs left
wing.
And for the past several years, especially after the financial crisis many Europeans feel the same about the EU, they do not like that a couple of guys from Luxemburg sitting in Brussels dictating them how the should act and how much they should spend and on what.

Fair point. Ive been sidetracked by the wings youre right.

Lemme rephrase:

Is another country on earth closer to what the people who want to be deported want than the USA. What is MORE toward their ideal. Who has a country that looks like what the USA would look like if Mitt had won hypothetically. Im confused why they want to flee because i dont see anywhere that seems closer to want they want. Socialized healthcare being the biggest example of policies you cant really run away from very easily. What country DOES do all things that the republican base wanted to do. Or even just more than the USA.

BiscuitTrouser:

Verbatim:

wing.

Fair point. Ive been sidetracked by the wings youre right.

Lemme rephrase:

Is another country on earth closer to what the people who want to be deported want than the USA. What is MORE toward their ideal. Who has a country that looks like what the USA would look like if Mitt had won hypothetically. Im confused why they want to flee because i dont see anywhere that seems closer to want they want. Socialized healthcare being the biggest example of policies you cant really run away from very easily. What country DOES do all things that the republican base wanted to do. Or even just more than the USA.

Now I'm confused, no one want's to be deported, the deportation remark was done by the people who are against secession not for it.
The people who signed the petition to secede from the US are people who want to be able to "govern" them selves with in their state, they want a more reachable government, and a stronger local government which they could influence more.
The situation in the US has been moving slowly but surely to the point of unsustainablility for over a century now, you just can't have so many tiers of government with out a mess, think how would you as a British citizen would feel if the EU parliament started to pass legislation that would directly affect you.
Again I'm not saying that the people who want to secede from the US are right, or that i support them, but they are doing it because they do not want to be controlled by a government they did not vote into office, and by a government which they feel is tramping on their constitutional rights, not because the president is black or because his middle name is Hussein.

Verbatim:
Snip

EU passes decisions every day that directly affect us... Also, stop speaking as if you represent all Europeans and have somekinda facts without stating sources. Far as I know majority of Europe (about 60%) supports Angela Merkel, and if theres anything she isnt its anti-EU.

Heck, I could let it slide if you just spoke for the dutch but.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/voters-choose-pro-european-parties-in-dutch-election-a-855529.html

It seems they prefer pro-EU parties aswell.. So I really dont know whom you are supposed to speak for but yourself.

Edit: Nvm you werent Dutch, you were Israeli.. Where the heck did I get the idea you were from Holland.

Verbatim:

Now I'm confused, no one want's to be deported, the deportation remark was done by the people who are against secession not for it.
The people who signed the petition to secede from the US are people who want to be able to "govern" them selves with in their state, they want a more reachable government, and a stronger local government which they could influence more.
The situation in the US has been moving slowly but surely to the point of unsustainablility for over a century now, you just can't have so many tiers of government with out a mess, think how would you as a British citizen would feel if the EU parliament started to pass legislation that would directly affect you.
Again I'm not saying that the people who want to secede from the US are right, or that i support them, but they are doing it because they do not want to be controlled by a government they did not vote into office, and by a government which they feel is tramping on their constitutional rights, not because the president is black or because his middle name is Hussein.

I thought it was a comment on the people saying "I want to leave the USA!" and organizing as a whole to leave the country... ive made a major brain derp havnt i... Forced deportation?! Hardly fair. Eugh. Im staying out of this one. FORGIVE ME!

In any case my point of "Where would they even WANT to go" kinda stands minus the context.

Nikolaz72:

Verbatim:
Snip

EU passes decisions every day that directly affect us... Also, stop speaking as if you represent all Europeans and have somekinda facts without stating sources. Far as I know majority of Europe (about 60%) supports Angela Merkel, and if theres anything she isnt its anti-EU.

Heck, I could let it slide if you just spoke for the dutch but.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/voters-choose-pro-european-parties-in-dutch-election-a-855529.html

It seems they prefer pro-EU parties aswell.. So I really dont know whom you are supposed to speak for but yourself.

Edit: Nvm you werent Dutch, you were Israeli.. Where the heck did I get the idea you were from Holland.

Heck of a spin there you got there Doc, i never said most Europeans are anti EU, just as most Americans are not against the Union.
Please stop putting words into my(and others) mouth like you usually do, since most people do not bother to read the posts you refer too, especially when you don't quote them.

Also do not compare EU policies to Federal law, as I've stated 2 different forms of government, but there are sufficient similarities between them to make an analogy, this is why you have similar feelings in Europe.

Also being against or for the EU has nothing to do with how some Europeans feel about it's policies and actions, I've lived in Holland for 2 years, I spend most of my time between Germany and the UK these days, and i don't think you would find how many people here in Germany for example talk not to mention think about say Greece as very "European".

P.S.
I have an EU(German) citizenship if you were wondering.

BiscuitTrouser:

In any case my point of "Where would they even WANT to go" kinda stands minus the context.

No where, they want to stay in the same place where they live now, they do not want to leave the US, they want their state to leave the union and become an independent state.
Similarly the Scots that want to "leave" the UK do not want to move to a different country, they just want an independent Scotland(Same goes for Catalonia, Wallonia, Flandria, or Northern Italy)...

Believing that anyone who signs a secession petition should be deported, is just as ignorant as anyone who believes that those who petition for a recall election should be forced to pay for it if their side loses.

That happened in Wisconsin last year. There was talk that those who "wasted tax dollars" on petitioning for recall should have to pay for it after Governor Walker won the recall election.

Verbatim:

BiscuitTrouser:

Sorry, but I can't let this one slide; what precisely the fuck does Scotland have to do with right wing idiocy? The SNP are not far-right loonies, and the upcoming referendum on leaving the UK is not being generated as the result of a reality-denying hissy-fit because "our team" lost one election to a black guy.

Magichead:

Sorry, but I can't let this one slide; what precisely the fuck does Scotland have to do with right wing idiocy? The SNP are not far-right loonies, and the upcoming referendum on leaving the UK is not being generated as the result of a reality-denying hissy-fit because "our team" lost one election to a black guy.

Neither does this, Obama was not elected by the majority of the citizens of the United states, the united states has a different form of government, people can disagree with the federal government and not liking Obama with out being racists, and frankly to me that's a much better and less scarier reality than over half of the US just can't stand a black guy in office.

If this was just about the black dude, you would had the same reaction in the previous elections, some Americans just don't want Obama, the policies his bringing, or at least what they think he would bring, and prefer to live in a more independent state.

And although Scotland might not be the same issue, or at least as it regards to race/ethnicity, Italy and Belgium are having similar issues where ethnicity is playing a major role, even bigger than in the US i would dare say.

I don't understand why every one is jumping the race card, republicans always believed and wanted small government, their political platform is based upon giving money and power to individuals and local government institutions rather than having groups and the federal governments control it.

The Federal government of the US was not conceived as the same way as it is today, and surely never conceived to work in the same way that EU governments work.
Some Americans prefer that the State they live in would have more power, and the federal government will have less influence on their lives.
And if you go back in history you will see that it started that way, heck there wasn't even a federal tax before the latter half of the 19th century.

People just jump and call them right wing racists, even if they are it does not mean this action has any thing to do with it, right and left wing are fluid positions and rarely used accurately, the academic definition for them is about class and societal structure, not about foreign relations and abortions.

You can be a liberal right winger, and a totalitarian left winger, history seen it all.
Liberalism, Conservatism, and many other attributes do not necessarily put you under one wing or another.

Merkel was good example, no one can say that she's left wing, but also no one can say she's anti-liberal, the Christian Democratic Party is considered a liberal-conservative right leaning party, on the other hand you can have extreme left wing parties which are utterly anti-liberal such as various Communist parties that are against market economy, property rights, and many other liberal values.

Well, this topic's going nowhere with these back-and-forth gibber-jabberings. Shall we just label the answer as "NO" and move on?

BiscuitTrouser:

TheIronRuler:

BiscuitTrouser:

I mean the world in this day and age, while not being LIBERAL persay, is MORE liberal than America in most countries. If you can name another country with similar standard of living to america that is more right wing id love to hear it (not that the two are related just that at this moment in time countries with similar standard of living are more left wing). How is it racist....

Australia. I dont live there but from what media lets on they are even more extreme right wing.

I think they should be allowed to leave on thier own accord to wherever they want, as long as they are out of US. but i see the reluctance, no country in their right mind woudl wank extreme right-wingers who are actively speaking up.

wombat_of_war:

thaluikhain:

actually we do. they can hand out free condoms and lube at the gay and lesbian mardi gras each year :D

And just imagine how much Drop Bear repellent you could sell with such a massive influx of foreigners! :D

Strazdas:

Australia. I dont live there but from what media lets on they are even more extreme right wing.

I think they should be allowed to leave on thier own accord to wherever they want, as long as they are out of US. but i see the reluctance, no country in their right mind woudl wank extreme right-wingers who are actively speaking up.

Run by a female atheist who is part of Socialist International. The left leaning party are in power right now. I dont think they would like it very much. Some might.

BiscuitTrouser:

Strazdas:

Run by a female atheist who is part of Socialist International. The left leaning party are in power right now. I dont think they would like it very much. Some might.

Er, to clarify, the lefter leaning party of the two major parties (if you count the Liberal and National coalition as a party). I wouldn't call them particular left leaning in the grand scheme of things.

(Oh, and the PM is unmarried, living with a de facto, instead of the usual emphasis on family stuff)

thaluikhain:

Isn't Austrailia relatively liberal? And I understand no one wants Americans, particularly Canada. They see the USA as having messed up our own nation and don't want to pick up our problems.

Gorfias:

thaluikhain:

Isn't Austrailia relatively liberal? And I understand no one wants Americans, particularly Canada. They see the USA as having messed up our own nation and don't want to pick up our problems.

Australia is more liberal (in the general sense) than the US, but more to the point, does not have a thing for people wanting to secede when the election goes a way they don't like. There's grumbling, but never any real talk of tearing the nation apart.

Strazdas:

BiscuitTrouser:

TheIronRuler:

Polls here in Australia for the US election were 20:1 in favour of Obama, in other words if Romney ran for office here he would struggle to get 5% of the vote. Our conservative party is centre-right, they are pretty similar to the Democrats.

Yes... let the petition wars start. I signed it, just for the hell of it. Interesting thing is we wouldn't even need to deport them outside the US! We could just as easily plop them down in Peurto Rico, then they want have to worry about their state seceding from the federal government because they have no actual say in the federal government.

Lose an election and suddenly certain state's residents throw a bitch fit, makes me wanna point and laugh.

dmase:
Yes... let the petition wars start. I signed it, just for the hell of it. Interesting thing is we wouldn't even need to deport them outside the US! We could just as easily plop them down in Peurto Rico, then they want have to worry about their state seceding from the federal government because they have no actual say in the federal government.

Lose an election and suddenly certain state's residents throw a bitch fit, makes me wanna point and laugh.

Oh, that's a point. Be a weird reason for them to oppose Puerto Rico to be a state...I'm assuming some overlap already.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked