Woman 'denied a termination' dies in hospital

Pages PREV 1 2

Skeleon:
It's "Hippocratic Oath". It makes it sound like it's about hypocrisy otherwise. *rolleyes*
Also, while it's outdated, there is an updated version that physician still hold to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Geneva

I hate being quasi dyslexic :(

Witty Name Here:
As a catholic, I'm saddened by this turn of events. Usually I'm in the middle of the abortion stance and leaning towards "Pro-Life" right now I can say quite firmly that I'm totally against abortion as a form of "contraception".

I keep saying this, but are you aware that abortion being used as a form of contraception, is just a myth, made up by the anti-abortion lobby?

Colour-Scientist:

Firstly, we've passed referendums to make abortions legal where the mother's life would be in danger. About 80 per cent of the population approve of abortion in these situations but it has never been put into legislation. This is the fault of the chickenshits in the Dail. The laws regarding abortion have been heavily contested for quite some time but politicians don't want to touch it.

Your Dad's nationalism is pretty ignorant if he thinks that a Down syndrome child should have been aborted because he used the NHS and then won a medal for the South.

Finally, you think that catholic abortion views are silly but you have a problem with them because if a woman gets pregnant that's her problem?

As for the first paragraph, I know nothing apart from what I could find on wikipedia.

I think my Dad was trying to make the point that the lack of clear cut rules and views on abortions by people in Ireland.

I don't like how most Catholic's views on abortion is that it is never acceptable, I call that ethical inflexibility, but that is another matter.

Reginald:

What about rape?

Their fully in their rights to get an abortion and they would have my condolences.

Colour-Scientist:

Quaxar:

Colour-Scientist:

It was a complete failure of Irish abortion laws.

I'm no anti-abortionist but I still fail to see why a doctor violating the medical standards by refusing treatment well inside the legal boundaries is the fault of said law (that wouldn't even have been broken). And even if it would've been a violating of abortion law, so what? I can't imagine a court would actually prosecute for saving one life over none if it was medically justified.

Like I have stated above, if anything it is the fault of the treating gynaecologist, either for making a wrong medical descision or for letting his religious believes interfer with his job.

If you know anything about Irish abortion laws, you know that the doctor wasn't inside the legal boundaries, they're very unclear. He might not be prosecuted but the doctor could have lost his/her medical licence.

Lose their Medical Liscense And be charged with infanticide. The child was going to be a still born but its heart was still beating, thus still alive, thus they would've been charged with infanticide if they aborted it before they knew about the danger the child would've caused. Once they did know the danger the child posed to the mother they were cautious about doing anything because they were not 100% sure it posed a life-threating state and it "Has" to be life-threating not "Pretty sure", "Has". If they had killed the child without knowing 100% the mother was going to die its considered Infanticide.

Our legal system is FUBAR sometimes.

Its about time there's been some clamour for reform anyway, its been what? twenty years since the "X Case"? outdated by a mile.

Reginald:

Hazzard:
I personally don't like abortions, because it gets uncomfortably close to killing a living baby for me and if you don't want to be pregnant you should have used a condom or taken the pill.

What about rape?

That's another thing actually, women in Ireland can't abort if the child is a product of rape unless she can be proven "suicidal" or proven to be a total danger to the mother in birth ala this whole debacle.

Colour-Scientist:
It's absolutely tragic.

It's shameful that it's taken a young woman's death to force our government and media to deal with our vague abortion laws. There is currently a growing protest outside the Dail, hopefully now they'll start making changes.

Not even sure they will. Abortion is a touchy issue here to be sure, is there any party willing to risk dividing themselves and their supporters on the issue? Eyes looking at you Fine Gael.

Boris Goodenough:
I hate being quasi dyslexic :(

Don't worry, it wasn't meant as an attack. It's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Skeleon:

Don't worry, it wasn't meant as an attack. It's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

I know and understand.

GiglameshSoulEater:
I despise cases like this, where religion effects the law.
That woman should not be dead. Catholicism, by causing that law to be passed, is responsible for that woman's death.

I like this guy, no beating around the bush, no wasting time, just straight to the point.

CATHOLICISM KILLS WOMEN!

dumbseizure:

GiglameshSoulEater:
I despise cases like this, where religion effects the law.
That woman should not be dead. Catholicism, by causing that law to be passed, is responsible for that woman's death.

I like this guy, no beating around the bush, no wasting time, just straight to the point.

CATHOLICISM KILLS WOMEN!

Where have you been the past thousand years? I mean look at their past and that's one of the major themes.

I forget, which part of this was "pro life" again?

Was it the part where they both died?

About time the Dail gets a move on a does something to change abortion laws. The catholic church should stay the hell out of our government and law making. It isn't the 1950's anymore and DeVelera is dead. That isn't to say it was justified then.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here