So apparntly the U.S. is in for "Civil War 2"

Pages PREV 1 2

bleys2487:
I don't think you should make a joke of this. But, maybe that's just me.

I personally feel the country is very divided, dangerously divided. Your beliefs may not match theirs. That's cool. It just turns out that they have the right to be vocal, just like you. You don't like it? That's cool, but they have the right to speak up. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that they can't.

I'm kinda sick of the bashing this forum has against those who have different points of view.

Oh, I don't know. There are opinions that are respectable and opinions that aren't, and I think that for Americans who tend to call themselves "Real Americans" to suggest breaking up the union because they lost an election isn't respectable. At the very least, it certainly shows a contempt for the country they say they love.

I have been watching this carefully, the number of signatures calling for secession are closing in on a million now. I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that there is a large number of secessionists that aren't signing due to fear of government backlash.

As my professor in economics said some years ago "For every one person that complains, there are twenty-six that remain silent." He was, of course, talking about customer service, but the principle is universal.

If you think that it's impossible that part of the country would secede from its government, then you really need to take your history classes again.

(See American Civil War, Independence of Ireland, Breakup of the Soviet Union, etc)

Imperius:
I have been watching this carefully, the number of signatures calling for secession are closing in on a million now. I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that there is a large number of secessionists that aren't signing due to fear of government backlash.

As my professor in economics said some years ago "For every one person that complains, there are twenty-six that remain silent." He was, of course, talking about customer service, but the principle is universal.

If you think that it's impossible that part of the country would secede from its government, then you really need to take your history classes again.

(See American Civil War, Independence of Ireland, Breakup of the Soviet Union, etc)

Of course, out of those that complain, how many will actually do something drastic if their complaint is not addressed? Singing a non-binding petition is extremely low on the scale of actions a dissatisfied person can take.

So, hypothetically, let's say Texas does decide to secede, since they have the most signatures. What then? Do they think that their state is so awesome that they can just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and be entirely self-sufficient? Are they going to join another country? Who do they think will take them? Or, more accurately, who is conservative enough to want them?

Sorry, I'm just mad about this. I live in Tennessee, so I hear a lot of "The South Will Rise Again!" crap from people who wouldn't know who General Sherman was if he walked up and burned their house down. Hearing that people actually believe that this is a good idea just infuriates me.

Imperius:

The thing is, in the age of the internet that ratio is reversed: for evey 26 people bitching online, there's one actually willing to do something more than that. Even that might be generous. Then of course there's easially alligations of sigining multiple times, people that sign any petetion they find funny, even a few liberals signing it to get Texas and other red states out of the union. Validity is severely suspect.

Now if they show up at the white house with a million people with signs chanting "we want out," that, I'll take seriously.

A good number of those signatures are likely meant as a symbolic gesture of defiance, though I don't doubt there are some hardcore conservatives who have stocked up on guns and ammo. Nevertheless, it's a small proportion, and I can't imagine a Second Civil war or any kind of real movement towards secession actually happening.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked