Student overdoses on heroin during class

Not sure if this belongs in Religion and Politics, but o well.

I don't have an article or anything on this matter, but I do have my firsthand account, since this kid goes to my high school. I just want to inform The Escapist just how bad drugs are in my county. This happened yesterday IN CLASS, so let me explain what happened. I'm not going to mention any names due to its sensitive nature and the kid being a minor. So lets begin.

At about 7:40 AM I was driving to school. Morning was usual nothing out of the ordinary until I actually got to my high school. As I was pulling in the school road I saw the blue lights of a Kentucky State trooper in our parking lot. Odd, i thought to myself, though its not too unusual to see a police car in our parking lot every once in a while, but I never thought he would pull someone over or arrest somebody. Anyway, I thought nothing of it a drove to my designated parking spot. I exited my vehicle and grabbed my things and headed off towards the school entrance. In class everyone was talking about it. During Second period I found out who got pulled over. He was in my class showing everybody what the Officer got him for. His ticket was for running a red light in town along with other minor charges such as not wearing a seat belt and not having proof of insurance. He asked me how much the ticket would be for and I just gave him an oddball guess of about $300.

The day continued as usual. Until students started talking about an ambulance out in front of the school. I asked around to figure out what had occurred. One of my friends told me that this student Overdosed on Heroin. The same student that got that ticket this morning. I quickly denounced the claim as exaggeration, until I heard teachers talking about it. Apparently the student either shot up in the classroom or in the restrooms. He must have fainted or something due to the ambulance arriving. I didn't witness it myself but one of our rednecks told us he saw this student with a "block" of heroin (is that what its called?) and a syringe. Not sure if that claim is true, but it makes for a better story I suppose. This was shocking to me, this student is a SOPHOMORE/JUNIOR in HIGH SCHOOL and is doing HEROIN. I was amazed by the stupidity of the act and why he would do such a thing. Still i remained skeptical, but my finally I found solid evidence of the event.

I checked this students Facebook page and it was blatantly obvious. Several posts were from his family and friends condemning him for the act and wishing him good health. Here are several posts on his page. I replace his name with (name)

"REALLY (name)?!?! Gosh i really thought you were better then that! I need to talk about you! Wow i'm just so disappointed in you :/ it make's me sad just to think you did that :("

"Wow kid!!! Are you fucking serious? Why the hell are you doing that shit in school? Better yet why the fuck are you doing that period? Grow the hell up dude and practice what you preach. Hope you learn from this and understand that shit isn't to be toying with. That shit can kill you and you almost met your maker today. Hope you don't think of me as an Asshole. I'm just worried about you and care
for you. They said something about juvenile lol. You'll love that. I've done my fair share of time in juvenile & big boy camp (Jail). Its no place to be but maybe it's the best thing for you right now. In jail all you got to do to pass time is think and maybe when your in there you'll think and see that shit ain't worth it. Think about your friends and family and what they would do/feel if you would of passed away. Damn dude I'm really disappointed in you and your actions. Get well cuz love ya."

What is so ironic about this event, is what the kid posted before this whole thing went down

"Day three of being clean i love it i pray every night that i keep up the good work"

I knew my county had a really bad drug problem, but never thought this would happen. I would like to share the facebook page of the student but I'm not sure if I could get in trouble by doing so. Then again, it is a public profile. If you guys are sure that it is legal then I will give you all his facebook URL.

So there you guys go, please share your thoughts because I really don't understand why someone would do this in school, or anywhere period.

Double post. Sorry guys

Uh, I was just looking around and I came across this. Is the kid alright? Heroin kills very quickly.

I don't know really what to say.
Where do you live? Or at least which state.
Don't share the Facebook page. Just get us a newspaper clipping if that comes out.

Heroin is pretty big. Where in the world could he have gotten that?

If this thing is true (Internet skepticism in the works, no offense), then this is pretty serious.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39200536/ns/health-addictions/t/illegal-drug-use-higher-nearly-decade-report-finds/#.UKR7S8XA9_Q

It goes to show it's all trends, one drug's use will go down another's will rise. I'm not one to complain about marijuana use but meth and even ecstasy are too much for high school students to be taking, at such a young age it really is a shame. Designer drugs and pharmaceuticals are the new major issue in drug control.

We really need to find a way to assist Mexico with it's drug cartel problem but even then we'll be faced with drugs like Meth that can be made in someone's back yard.

dmase:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39200536/ns/health-addictions/t/illegal-drug-use-higher-nearly-decade-report-finds/#.UKR7S8XA9_Q

It goes to show it's all trends, one drug's use will go down another's will rise. I'm not one to complain about marijuana use but meth and even ecstasy are too much for high school students to be taking, at such a young age it really is a shame. Designer drugs and pharmaceuticals are the new major issue in drug control.

We really need to find a way to assist Mexico with it's drug cartel problem but even then we'll be faced with drugs like Meth that can be made in someone's back yard.

well, id rather have them having marijuana and meth than heroin and cocaine.

This is how effective the war on drugs is. All it achieves is making sure it's criminals who profit from the industry and ensuring that an already dangerous activity in drug-use, remains as dangerous as it possibly can be. It doesn't actually stop anything, it just makes it worse. When are people going to wake up and realize harm reduction is the way to treat drug problems and reduce the damage they cause.

I'm not saying full legalization without any checks or regulations is the answer, but sweeping the issue under the rug by throwing users/dealers in prison and pretending the problems gone away is about as effective a method of solving the drug problem as it is as solving the dog-turd-in-your-living-room problem.

Strazdas:

dmase:

Meth? Really? It's probably just as bad as cocaine/heroin. Marijuana isn't, but meth should also be stayed away from. Very, very far away.

sanquin:

Strazdas:

dmase:

Meth? Really? It's probably just as bad as cocaine/heroin. Marijuana isn't, but meth should also be stayed away from. Very, very far away.

Meth (and more commonly in the US, the european counterpart of "speed", amphetamine) is prescribed to people of all ages, including children, in the form of Desoxyn/Adderall. This is the irony of the entire drug argument. Ask yourself what the dangers of these drugs really are if doctors will happily prescribe amphetamines like candy to anyone that comes in with problems concentrating on shit they aren't interested in. Doctors, openly advocating amphetamine use, and not even in extreme cicumstances.

Ask yourself whats going on there. Then go and educate yourself on the subject. You'll be suprised.

To elaborate, i'm not saying meth/amphetamines aren't harmful, it's just that the damage to society and individuals caused by recreational use come far more from the dangers created by the drugs being illegal than the inherant damage of the drugs itself.

Well, judging by your story, he was clean for about 3 days and then when he got a ticket for roughly 300 bucks the depression probably caused him to relapse. Poor guy. It's a shame to see someone who was clearly trying to change his life for the better fall like that. I'm kinda disappointed in his so called loved ones reactions, him ODing is a poor time to spam his facebook with words of condemnation, I think one of the posts was talking about how jail will fix him up? Yeah, fuck that guy.

Shpongled:

sanquin:

Strazdas:

Meth (and more commonly in the US, the european counterpart of "speed", amphetamine) is prescribed to people of all ages, including children, in the form of Desoxyn/Adderall. This is the irony of the entire drug argument. Ask yourself what the dangers of these drugs really are if doctors will happily prescribe amphetamines like candy to anyone that comes in with problems concentrating on shit they aren't interested in. Doctors, openly advocating amphetamine use, and not even in extreme cicumstances.

Ask yourself whats going on there. Then go and educate yourself on the subject. You'll be suprised.

To elaborate, i'm not saying meth/amphetamines aren't harmful, it's just that the damage to society and individuals caused by recreational use come far more from the dangers created by the drugs being illegal than the inherant damage of the drugs itself.

I'll have to disagree. While I've never been in the situation of the OP, I know Drugs destroy people. Meth and Heroin particularly kill quickly. They're terrible things. So you can say that the laws aren't properly taking care of the problem, but don't try to pretend that they're not extremely dangerous. Prison is little compared to dying or becoming a barely self aware shell of your former self.

(Over prescribing and misuse of medicine and drugs is another rant for another day. If we're going that route, the biggest problem is that doctors are overusing antibiotics, so that now some organisms are gaining an immunity.

dmase:

Marijuana causes permanent brain damage in adolescents, especially to memory and emotional regulation.

Plus of course the famous 'demotivational syndrome', that potheads don't care about anything anymore except smoking, ussually with rather fatal results for their educational career. I've seen them as young as 12 now. Used to be 13 untill last month we actually had a 12 year old be brought in for pot addiction. And the centre where I work doesn't see someone untill parents, school or social workers put them on the radar, meaning we only see people after a few years of addiction.

It's not some fairly innocent substance or something. In fact I'm under the distinct impression that that idea is what causes most of the problems with marijuana use. Other drugs have very low usage rates because people are aware of the risks. Because marijuana is mistakenly seen as innocent stuff, the usage is higher and the problems larger.

Frission:
Uh, I was just looking around and I came across this. Is the kid alright? Heroin kills very quickly.

I don't know really what to say.
Where do you live? Or at least which state.
Don't share the Facebook page. Just get us a newspaper clipping if that comes out.

Heroin is pretty big. Where in the world could he have gotten that?

If this thing is true (Internet skepticism in the works, no offense), then this is pretty serious.

I live in Kentucky in a small rural county, we have more deer than people here. I haven't heard any more news about his condition. If you want I can Message you a link to his Facebook profile if that would be sufficient evidence to prove to you that this actually happened. If our news paper ever does write something about this (I doubt it) then I will definitely post the clip on this site.

Shpongled:

sanquin:

Strazdas:

Absolute nonsense. Have you heard the quote "the dose makes the poison"? It applies here; small, regular doses of a carefully stabilised drug manufactured under heavy regulation is in no way even remotely close to similar to massive doses of a chemical produced by criminal gangs and adulterated with fuck-knows what. Do you have even the slightest clue what the difference in dosage is between the medicinal applications for amphetamine derivatives, and the amount that a recreational user requires to get high?

Do you know what else Doctors "openly advocate" the use of? Opiates. Yep, every day, across the developed world, Doctors and pharmacists hand out millions of doses of opiates, or as you would know them, "strong painkillers". I guess that means Heroin is totes safe as well, yeah?

And you have the fucking gall to tell people to "educate" themselves.

EDIT: Sod it, I'm not done. Never even mind the fucking dosages, where did you get your knowledge of medicine from, Homeopath's Weekly Digest? You do grasp that drugs have different effects on different people, dependent on their neurochemistry, yes? You grasp that when you give a drug to a healthy person, it gets them high, but when you give that same drug to a person with a neurochemical imbalance it doesn't? Case in point; do you know what happens when you give my anxiety medication to someone who doesn't have anxiety? They get fucking anxious. Gah, seriously, this sort of vacant Doctor-bashing makes me fucking livid; what's next, a rant about how vaccinations are a secret government conspiracy to poison your children?

Shpongled:

The difference is that METHamphetamine's aren't the same as normal amphetamines. One is rather harmful for you, the other has positive effects in for certain things and is a lot weaker.

To be exact, Meth (or Crystal Meth) has just over 3 times the effect of amphetamine making it more dangerous, and a much, MUCH larger crash effect afterwards, making it far more addictive. Not to mention that crystal meth can have all kinds of 'junk' in it since it's not made in proper laboratories. Plus the ones doctors prescribe have a controlled, relatively small dose in them, Meth does not.

EDIT:
Lastly yes in the US doctors prescribe amphetamines like it's candy. But that's bad too. They shouldn't be allowed to do that. But you have drug company lobbyists and other such things in the US which make sure they can sell their potentially dangerous drugs like they're perfectly safe to use. America has a HUGE medical drug addiction problem because of this.

sanquin:

Strazdas:

dmase:

this is quite good table (ignore that its linked to wikipedia, they are just hosting it consistently) that came from a very thoural research aroun 5 years back (March 24, 2007 article: Nutt, David, Leslie A King, William Saulsbury, Colin Blakemore. "Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse" The Lancet 2007; 369:1047-1053.)
as you can see, meth is among the "low harm" part while cocaine and heroin are the two most damgerous drugs out there.
also notice the two "legal" drugs, tabacco and alcohol scoring very high.

Strazdas:
this is quite good table (ignore that its linked to wikipedia, they are just hosting it consistently) that came from a very thoural research aroun 5 years back (March 24, 2007 article: Nutt, David, Leslie A King, William Saulsbury, Colin Blakemore. "Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse" The Lancet 2007; 369:1047-1053.)
as you can see, meth is among the "low harm" part while cocaine and heroin are the two most damgerous drugs out there.

Methamphetamine/Crystal Meth isn't on there though. Methylpenidate is not methamphetamine. 4-MTA isn't either. No surprise that Emphetamine is about at the same height as Alcohol. And Meth is supposedly higher in both dependence and physical harm. I'd figure around the same as cocaine.

EDIT:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/body/

Go read that. THAT is what Meth does. Sure, it doesn't do so on 'rare' use. But the drug is highly addictive. The high is described as being equal to even higher than cocaine and lasts longer. Plus the rate of addictions after a first try is higher than cocaine too. It's not called the poor man's coke for no reason.

You have to realize that that graph was made before meth became a thing. So it's not on there yet. You need a more updated graph if you want to make a point.

I suspect the real issues here are the kid's family and social life. Likely he has a terrible relationship with his parents or guardians. The other issue here is that the whole interaction the wider community has with the kid is to publicly condemn him and, likely, to criminalise him. None of this allievates the drug abuse or underling issues. This is what happens when you have a society that puts personal responsibility on an untouchable moral pedestal and dehumanizes criminals and sinners.
All in guessing, of course, not knowing any facts.

sanquin:
snip

whoops, i mixed methamphetamine with methylphenidate. you are correct.

Strazdas:

sanquin:
snip

whoops, i mixed methamphetamine with methylphenidate. you are correct.

Well, you are also partially correct. There is a version of methamphetamine called dextromethamphetamine that is less addictive and dangerous, and is in rare cases prescribed to people that have ADHD. But I think the argument was that meth (the street drug) should be legal since it's just about the same as cannabis. Which it isn't. :P

Strazdas:

That graph is very misleading, because it doesn't account for the scale of use vs scale of problems.

If ten million people drink alcohol and yet get 1000 addicts, and 10.000 people smoke marijuana and you get 100 addicts, it ranks alcohol as ten times more dangerous. While that's not correct.

Also it doesn't account for severity of use. Becoming an alcoholic takes years and years of heavy drinking. Ussually 5-50 beers every day. If you spend that amount chewing Qat (to take the least harmfull drug according to that chart), you're not going to get much done in life and your situation is actually equally bad. You'll note that Somalians who use Qat every day pretty much end up being useless. Qat addiction is 10% among Somalians living in the Netherlands. The Trimbos institute did research into it, proper research that measured all effects, not just very limited physical and mental addiction, but also social consequences.

Basically they outline Somalians chewing Qat all night and being out for the entire next day, and become pretty much completely useless for society and any family they might have. Ussually it means the man is a layabout, and the woman has to care for the children, the household, the husband, and they have to survive on benefits.

Unsurprisingly, shortly after the report came out, Qat was banned in the Netherlands and the European qat smuggling ring in Uithoorn taken apart by the police.

Strazdas:

I really have a hard time taking that graph seriously. Simply because they rank alcohol as so addictive. While alcohol addiction exists there are so many people who enjoy an occasional beer or glass of wine without being addicted to it i doubt alcohol creates such a big dependence. While i know anecdotal evidence isn't worth a lot i know a lot more people who drink alcohol than people who smoke weed yet i know 0 people who'd ever say "i need my beer in the morning" while i know a couple who say so about joints. I also think one needs to define dependence. For instance many youngsters like to get drunk while partying because it's "fun" but they can all live perfectly fine without a drop of alcohol outside parties. On the other hand i notice that joints create a much higher "casual" dependence, where it starts to be used only during "social events" but than gets used on a daily basis because it's so addictive. (maybe not physical but psychologically) And than because of all those potheads claiming pot isn't that bad they justify their use with retarded claims like "it's not that bad for you, blablablabla". If anything this whole trend to claim weed isn't that bad will only make weed more dangerous. (i know you didn't talk about weed, but i just had to make this general remark to raise general awareness because it seems on the escapist weed legalization is popular)

Shpongled:
This is how effective the war on drugs is. All it achieves is making sure it's criminals who profit from the industry and ensuring that an already dangerous activity in drug-use, remains as dangerous as it possibly can be. It doesn't actually stop anything, it just makes it worse. When are people going to wake up and realize harm reduction is the way to treat drug problems and reduce the damage they cause.

I'm not saying full legalization without any checks or regulations is the answer, but sweeping the issue under the rug by throwing users/dealers in prison and pretending the problems gone away is about as effective a method of solving the drug problem as it is as solving the dog-turd-in-your-living-room problem.

Individual incidents such as this are not typical though. It seems far-fetched to claim that the 'war on drugs' is wholeheartedly ineffective based on one particular incident.

generals3:

I really have a hard time taking that graph seriously. Simply because they rank alcohol as so addictive. While alcohol addiction exists there are so many people who enjoy an occasional beer or glass of wine without being addicted to it i doubt alcohol creates such a big dependence. While i know anecdotal evidence isn't worth a lot i know a lot more people who drink alcohol than people who smoke weed yet i know 0 people who'd ever say "i need my beer in the morning" while i know a couple who say so about joints. I also think one needs to define dependence. For instance many youngsters like to get drunk while partying because it's "fun" but they can all live perfectly fine without a drop of alcohol outside parties. On the other hand i notice that joints create a much higher "casual" dependence, where it starts to be used only during "social events" but than gets used on a daily basis because it's so addictive. (maybe not physical but psychologically) And than because of all those potheads claiming pot isn't that bad they justify their use with retarded claims like "it's not that bad for you, blablablabla". If anything this whole trend to claim weed isn't that bad will only make weed more dangerous. (i know you didn't talk about weed, but i just had to make this general remark to raise general awareness because it seems on the escapist weed legalization is popular)

You are forgetting that some people have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism; I have encountered severe alcoholics who were intensely dependent on it on both sides of my family. Simply because there are cases where alcohol is used moderately, does not make alcohol as a drug any less dangerous overall.

IDK. One of my friends in high school ODed one time when we went to the Wendy's by her house. She was still insufflating at that point. I think she spent part of her freshman year (14-15) in rehab. I'm not sure she ever fully cleaned up, but I think she stopped using heroine eventually, not sure if it was before or after her brother ODd for good from it.

I don't think drug use is getting substantially worse. However, I think it is becoming more diffuse. So a lot of the harder drugs are becoming more available in the suburbs, with some dealers even making at-home deliveries to the suburbs.

Drug use was reasonably common at my high school. In an upper middle class suburb where the kids have way more money than sense, it really shouldn't be that surprising. I remember in my photography class a senior was bragging about how he spent $400 in one weekend in Mexico on cocaine.

Blablahb:

Strazdas:

That graph is very misleading, because it doesn't account for the scale of use vs scale of problems.

If ten million people drink alcohol and yet get 1000 addicts, and 10.000 people smoke marijuana and you get 100 addicts, it ranks alcohol as ten times more dangerous. While that's not correct.

Also it doesn't account for severity of use. Becoming an alcoholic takes years and years of heavy drinking. Ussually 5-50 beers every day. If you spend that amount chewing Qat (to take the least harmfull drug according to that chart), you're not going to get much done in life and your situation is actually equally bad. You'll note that Somalians who use Qat every day pretty much end up being useless. Qat addiction is 10% among Somalians living in the Netherlands. The Trimbos institute did research into it, proper research that measured all effects, not just very limited physical and mental addiction, but also social consequences.

Basically they outline Somalians chewing Qat all night and being out for the entire next day, and become pretty much completely useless for society and any family they might have. Ussually it means the man is a layabout, and the woman has to care for the children, the household, the husband, and they have to survive on benefits.

Unsurprisingly, shortly after the report came out, Qat was banned in the Netherlands and the European qat smuggling ring in Uithoorn taken apart by the police.

The graph isn't even slightly misleading, because it has bugger-fuck-all to say about the things you criticize it for saying. Look at the axes; Dependence, Physical Harm. Nothing about societal cost, nothing about anything except a straightforward, rational, medical definition of how harmful a drug is to an individual's body and mind.

Blablahb:

Strazdas:

snip

I did link o the research that this graph came form that adresses your issues.

generals3:
[quote="Strazdas" post="528.393859.15939881"]

Acohol is addictive. very. you may think "of they just take wine every friday whats so bad about that. but try denying them that, they will go to great lenghts to "get thier fix". You are right about the "casual" versus "case based" dependency, which i didnt take into account. if you notice cannabis scores quite high on addiction (higher than some more seriuos drugs). so your casual morning joint does stand true according to this table. Weed legalization is popular because its a drug. people liek drugs. they dont think longterm consequesnces. thats humans to you. and thier logic is "hey alcohol is legal so why cant less evi ldrugs be legal"

what teacher dose this class have if they doing heroin

Strazdas:

sanquin:

Strazdas:

this is quite good table

I usually find wikipedia pretty trustworthy, but a chart that places cannabis and ketamine on the same level of dependence is bullshit. Both are psychological addictions, but the psychological addiction found with K users is much higher than that found in cannabis users.

edit - Oh yeah, and fucking ecstasy being ranked lower than cannabis on dependence? That's just idiotic.

edit -

generals3:
If anything this whole trend to claim weed isn't that bad will only make weed more dangerous. (i know you didn't talk about weed, but i just had to make this general remark to raise general awareness because it seems on the escapist weed legalization is popular)

There is a reason for that trend. Pulling smoke into your lungs is always physically damaging, but other than that there are actually no negative effects to cannabis usage other than maybe to one's wallet. Then again, most of my free cash goes to entertainment regardless of what form that takes, so cannabis isn't even so bad in that regard for me.

On the other hand, since starting cannabis use my depression, anxiety, paranoia, and anger issues which previously controlled my life have all but disappeared entirely. Marijuana has been literally the single most positive influence on the life that I lead. It has caused me to do some dumb shit, sure. However, what I haven't done is commit suicide, something which used to be a daily consideration for me and now is pretty much unthinkable.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here