What does "Died for your sins" mean?

Pages PREV 1 2

The hole scheme is a blackmail. You have been bought and paid for. If you do not follow the contract which does not have your signature on it by the way, you will find your self at the bottom of a river with a stone chained around your legs. Metaphorically speaking of course. This is the deal in a nut shell. Now if they can make you believe this, the religious leaders have control. And so many eagerly give it to them.

Rastelin:
The hole scheme is a blackmail. You have been bought and paid for. If you do not follow the contract which does not have your signature on it by the way, you will find your self at the bottom of a river with a stone chained around your legs. Metaphorically speaking of course. This is the deal in a nut shell. Now if they can make you believe this, the religious leaders have control. And so many eagerly give it to them.

Blackmail with the basic tenets of the faith that can be summed up as don't be an asshole (something most Christians could use a beating over the head with the point to be honest).

Love God with All your heart? Don't be an ass to God.
Love Your Neighbor? Don't be an Ass to your fellow man.

Even the Ten Commandments can be summed up as that.

Also the big thing with Adam's original sin and Jesus conquering death is this: Adam big the forbidden fruit thus becomeing mortal, and mortals have this nasty habit of dying. Jesus got resurrected therefore death is not a problem anymore and available to everyone. Does death still suck, oh hell yes (why else would Jesus ask for a plan B in the Garden scene.

saint of m:
Does death still suck, oh hell yes (why else would Jesus ask for a plan B in the Garden scene.

I am not talking about death. I mean the worship and obedience that follows the acceptance of Jesus so called sacrifice.
Which of course mean obedience to any church. You must not love your family more than him. There are no way to the father but through him and all that jazz. Unconditional commitment. Not open for negotiations. This has nothing to do with love.

If not, it is either hell or death. Depending what you believe. Hence the word blackmail

Rastelin:

saint of m:
Does death still suck, oh hell yes (why else would Jesus ask for a plan B in the Garden scene.

I am not talking about death. I mean the worship and obedience that follows the acceptance of Jesus so called sacrifice.
Which of course mean obedience to any church. You must not love your family more than him. There are no way to the father but through him and all that jazz. Unconditional commitment. Not open for negotiations. This has nothing to do with love.

If not, it is either hell or death. Depending what you believe. Hence the word blackmail

Pretty much. God really isn't that benevolent when one analyzes his character.

Theologically, it means that the death of the Christ resolves the debts incurred to god by the members of the church, i.e. they no longer have to sacrifice animals, money, etc as part of the price to stay right in the eyes of their deity or to ask him for favors. This would be more impressive if every other religion hadn't dropped the practice of physical sacrifice at the same time and replaced it with what are at least theoretically voluntary donations for the most part. Christians are still impressed, I guessed, because they're famous for knowing fuck-all about history or other religions and think doing away with animal sacrifice was a great innovation.

It's a big deal for Protestants because it was one of the major Big Deals of the reformation-- the Catholics' decision to sell plenary indulgences was seen as a re-introduction of the old "sacrifice physical wealth for a divine favor" deal. Catholics, while they eventually backed out of that policy for similar reasons, don't use the phrase quite as much because there's, well, a lot more to the mythology of Catholicism than the simple rebellion of the Protestants, it's had a lot more than a single historical turning point to make various bits of doctrine seem more or less important.

It's amped up in American denominations specifically because of the rise of revival styles among the more isolated, independent churches that were isolated from central authority and, more importantly, central funding, and often had to compete with other similarly independent churches to keep food on the preacher's plate. Turned out that the best way to keep the crowd coming back and donating was to pour the guilt on, so "christ died for your sins" was used as a rhetorical hammer to shame people into coming to your church in the same way that "I worked so hard on this meal" is used by a parent to guilt a small child into eating his peas.

Colt47:
Pretty much. God really isn't that benevolent when one analyzes his character.

You do not even have to make the effort. Just read the bible with a honest mind. To quote Richard Dawkins!

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

He sacrificed his own son to save us they say. Who would let his own son be tortured and killed when he has the power to
take another path? Only a sociopath. No this god is as cruel and primitive as the desert tribes that created him.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked