Senator Pushes Bill Allowing Warrantless Reading of E-Mails in the U.S.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hi, not sure how likely this is to succeed but I figure its better people know about it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57552225-38/senate-bill-rewrite-lets-feds-read-your-e-mail-without-warrants/

My advice would be to try and stop this, unless ofc you trust it wouldn't be abused.

is everyone fine with this?
im suprised.

You should move it to "Religion and Politics" forum, they might even have one already going.
You might get a little more attention there. You can ask the mods here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Moderation-Team,
or find a list of them in the COC and pass one a PM.

OT: No I don't want this.

Why why why why why is this so fucking hard for the people in power to realize WE DO NOT WANT THIS SHIT! This, the patriot act, SOPA... like what the fuck? In what world does "Turning the american government into a police state" seem like a good idea?

Its like we learned NOTHING from Hitler.

SaneAmongInsane:
Why why why why why is this so fucking hard for the people in power to realize WE DO NOT WANT THIS SHIT! This, the patriot act, SOPA... like what the fuck? In what world does "Turning the american government into a police state" seem like a good idea?

well, it already got a Hitler reference, I suppose now we've done it we don't have to do it again, otherwise I completely agree.

They're welcome to rummage through the fifty thousand junk emails filled with advertisements and coupons in my account if they want. I'm certainly not going to.

What I find the most ironic is that the government wants to know everything about everything you're doing. They want to wiretap you, they want to read all your emails, all of it. To "Keep everyone safe" and punish and expose criminals.

And yet when someone gets secret info from THEM and uses it to punish and expose THEM, suddenly it's high treason.

*sigh*

I thought Democrats were supposed to be different. This is where both parties are exactly the same. They will accept nothing but total control over us.

Eclipse Dragon:
You should move it to "Religion and Politics" forum, they might even have one already going.
You might get a little more attention there. You can ask the mods here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Moderation-Team,

btw thanks, Ive made a request to have it moved.

Damn disappointing. Used to be the Democrats fought against such civil liberties infringements. Makes you wonder whether they opposed those just because the Republicans brought them forth.
Yeah, overgeneralizing, but come on. It's not like, say, Obama and his administration are good on civil liberties, either. So who with any actual power to stop stuff like this is left?

rebus_forever:

Eclipse Dragon:

btw thanks, Ive made a request to have it moved.

No problem, I'm glad to help.

Skeleon:
Damn disappointing. Used to be the Democrats fought against such civil liberties infringements. Makes you wonder whether they opposed those just because the Republicans brought them forth.
Yeah, overgeneralizing, but come on. It's not like, say, Obama and his administration are good on civil liberties, either. So who with any actual power to stop stuff like this is left?

My intention for posting it here wasn't for people to be aghast at the political situation in general but rather to present the information so that others could spread the word, I'm British, what you guys get put on you we no doubt will follow, make yourselves be represented like people have with SOPA, PIPA and ACTA, spread the word and all of that...

The current democrats in power aren't left. At all. They're center-right at best. And the republicans are bat-shit crazy. So take the center of those two and you get a VERY right leaning government. So with that in mind, I'm not surprised. And I'm glad I don't live there.

Did they say who could read E-mails? because I'd just love for some Police officer or something to come in and start talking about someone's private sex life after read 50 horny e-mails :P

Big surprise. We saw that coming a mile away and we are already preparing our response. All of my guys are going to be out protesting it and once again we will be alone because the goddamn University Dems do not want to go against a bill sponsored by one of their own and the Republicans are at least honest enough to admit that they support the bill.

Skeleon:
Makes you wonder whether they opposed those just because the Republicans brought them forth.

I have been saying that for years.

Yeah well, shoot the bill down from the orbit. Also shoot down the career of the guy who proposed it. Don't shoot down the guy tho, that'd be just rude.

Seriously, people, why do you keep voting for these folks? Can't the people endorse a candidate over there, does it have to be a party endorsement for the candidate to be eligible?

Because if not, well, people should get off their asses and start finding better politicians. And if yes, then people should get off their asses and demand the power to find and endorse their own candidate.

It all falls down to people getting off their asses, and Americans still seem to be within their comfort zone. That better change. Fast.

Xan Krieger:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57552687-38/leahy-scuttles-his-warrantless-e-mail-surveillance-bill/ now he's shooting down the idea himself

Neat und tidy....

obligatory sentence as im not sure if quoting someone counts toward the content of the post, I live in fear.

Vegosiux:
Yeah well, shoot the bill down from the orbit. Also shoot down the career of the guy who proposed it. Don't shoot down the guy tho, that'd be just rude.

Seriously, people, why do you keep voting for these folks? Can't the people endorse a candidate over there, does it have to be a party endorsement for the candidate to be eligible?

Because if not, well, people should get off their asses and start finding better politicians. And if yes, then people should get off their asses and demand the power to find and endorse their own candidate.

It all falls down to people getting off their asses, and Americans still seem to be within their comfort zone. That better change. Fast.

That's just it. We really don't have any good candidates because of the process. Nobody is perfect but I personally don't want to be dragged through the mud for dumb shit I did 15 or 20 years ago. In order for a good person to run for office they would have to have done absolutely nothing wrong in their life ever. Good luck finding that person and then what's to stop them from running ads that aren't just out and out lies? There's a saying and I'm probably getting it wrong but I'll give it a shot "Only liars and psychopaths run for public office. The only people that don't are good people." That should tell you all you need to know about our election system.

We had this thing called the Constitution and three branches of govt. that was supposed to keep these people in check. Now the constitution has changed so much and each branch just wants more and more power over the others, there is no hope for us to have good people to run. If they do run they get sucked into the system and eventually turn bad over time.

Xan Krieger:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57552687-38/leahy-scuttles-his-warrantless-e-mail-surveillance-bill/ now he's shooting down the idea himself

The problem here is it will still go up for a vote and could still be passed but now he can say he didn't vote for it. What a scumbag.

Skeleon:

No one should be surprise by this shit, it doesn't matter if it's a democrat or a fucking republican they'll take it all, and tell you how bad the other side is, and what rights they are taking, all they while they stab you in the fucking back. I been saying it, for the last 4 years, the Democrats picked bush with a liberal spin, even though they didn't want another bush. They seemed to be fucking mum when Obama does the shit Bush did, the same can be said for republicans turn a blind eye for all the shit they hate for Obama but let it be a damn republican and it's all fine. They been played and no one can see that, this will pass with both parties working together, and we will still not have a fucking budget, nor have plan for the fiscal cliff but hey atleast America is being "protected".

BlackConservative:

Xan Krieger:

The problem here is it will still go up for a vote and could still be passed but now he can say he didn't vote for it. What a scumbag.

I missed that also, perhaps this thread needs to be replaced with a more relevant one, If any of you feel you want to do that please do, I tend to feel my lack of flare when writing harms the point I'm trying to make, if someone a bit more erudite wishes to take up the mantle you have my blessing.

agreed btw he sounds morally impaired.

Anyone still want to pretend that liberal constitutions are more than propaganda tools?

Istvan:
Anyone still want to pretend that liberal constitutions are more than propaganda tools?

don't blame the left when a large demographic of the USA think that state run schools is communism, a state that overreacts so extremely vilifying anything that might qualify as social reform as tantamount to Stalinism isnt going to have the most well developed liberal/left wing tradition, we don't really have one In Britain now either but for different reasons, either way blaming "liberals" or the "left" for the actions of the "centre right(labour, democrat)" because they are more left than the denial toting "right" (republicans conservatives) doesn't make sense.
I wish I could articulate what I mean better but were approaching tl,dr zone already.

Im not in any way saying the left don't make mistakes just that we cant really blame them for these mistakes as there is little to no manifestation of "liberal" power just because it isnt "batshit crazy insane repression" tea party style.

just noticed, nice pic

What in the world?

Well I hope this gets shut because this is stupid.

I could quote Benjamin Franklin here, but honestly that quote is too over-used and can get twisted into supporting whatever side you wish, so I shan't.
Instead, I just shake my head. A nation already paranoid enough as it is, given full access to 22 agencies to violate privacy like this?

Xan Krieger:

In other words, this has become a non-story.

Okay, pack it up. Nothing to see here.

haha i love it. the USA spent 45 years condeming the USSR for violating human rights and freedoms and now the USA it trying its darnest to be a wannabe soviet union. although now you are a liberal communist if say torture and detention without trial is a bad thing

wombat_of_war:
and now the USA it trying its darnest to be a wannabe soviet union. although now you are a liberal communist if say torture and detention without trial is a bad thing

Much of the US is fanatically opposed to universal healthcare as communism and so on, so I don't see them becoming the next USSR.

This will not get far. Since the internet is becoming aware of it, it will become a political landmine.

SaneAmongInsane:

Hitler was kind of before the internet. While he tried to have a Big Brother, the fact most of his spies actually were double agents for the Allies hampered his efforts.

He didn't give us much to learn from. >_>

Istvan:

Not a case. We do not actually have a very well codified "right to privacy," only a puesdo right when combining several other amendments (such as the right to unlawful searches and seizures). Also, even in the VERY unlikely chance it gets through Congress (it will die as quickly SOPA, just you wait), the Supreme court would shoot it down.

If a company can defend it's creative property that's been distributed illegally online then your average person should be allowed to keep there email private online, unless a warrant is obtained of course. The internet has some interesting angles related to law, because it's relatively new. When I'm 30 I'm curious about what the final laws will be regarding it's use and content.

BlackConservative:

Scumbag? According to your username it should be right down your alley. After all, privacy laws are little more than something for bleedin' heart liberals.

And if it's not, maybe you're in the wrong political camp.

Blablahb:

BlackConservative:

Scumbag? According to your username it should be right down your alley. After all, privacy laws are little more than something for bleedin' heart liberals.

And if it's not, maybe you're in the wrong political camp.

This doesn't even make sense. How would a small govt. fiscal conservative be for something like this? You'll have to explain your thoughts a little further but as of now you just made yourself look bad.

BlackConservative:
This doesn't even make sense. How would a small govt. fiscal conservative be for something like this?

Hey, don't ask me why it makes sense, I gave up trying to make sense of the US conservative ultra-right long ago, I'm too logical for that or something.
I just observe that conservatives love to tear down both the legal position of suspects as well as privacy laws and other important legal foundations. Not like wanting the government small is a conservative thing these days. It's the conservatives who want the government in the house, in the bedroom, everywhere. Which wouldn't even be that much of a problem, except the conservatives generally want it there just to check if you're being properly Christian, heterosexual, vanilla, rich, loyal, moralistic and a few other things they demand from other people.

If you don't like that sort of stuff, which would be perfectly understable since I don't either, maybe you're not as conservative as you believed.

The entire internet will rebel. I don't think this one has much possibility.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked