What do Americans Think?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I have been pondering this question for at least 5 minutes now and though it would make a good discussion. I am not American or live in America (I actually live at the bottom of the world in a small country called New Zealand AKA Hobbiton) so I was wondering what American think of other countries and their own. You see, if you didn't know, American doesn't have the best public image among the rest of the world, we kind of see you guys as that annoying big brother you don't really like but have to get along with as he has all the cool toys. So my question is what do American think of everyone else, what thoughts come to mind when you head people talk about France or the UK, Australia or even NZ? Also, what do you guys think about your own country?

P.s, if you are not American, it would be cool to hear how you feel about other countries from your standpoint as well.

I have no real concrete opinions of other countries. I'm also not a fan of all the "AMERICA FUCK YEA" nationalism I see, but it's not quite as common as some think,and you certainly won't find it on a mostly liberal community like the Escapist.

Dutch here.

-Germany is awesome. Great scenery in certain places and mostly friendly people too from what I've seen.
-France is...meh. It's okay but I don't like it too much. I don't know why really.
-Greece should just go bankrupt and get it over with so we can kick them out of the EU. Too much corruption to fix the country, no matter how much money we give them.
-I hate America. No really, I hate it. Not just dislike. I hate what the country does, I hate large or at least vocal group in it, I hate how the government runs it, etc. I don't hate individuals from the country though.
-I have no real opinion on most other countries as I don't know about them enough to have opinions.

I like people. I like it when people like people. I don't like it when people don't like people. I am developing a rather extreme distaste for the Netherlands, but that is in contradiction to my normal philosophy so I am trying to get past it. I believe that surmises my stance.

Um... I think of other countries? Not especially sure what you want... I mean, I don't consider other countries or peoples to be inferior or looked down upon (generally, anyway), if that is what you mean. :\

EDIT: Also, I quite like America. I enjoy living here, and I don't want to move to other countries, atm. For all of it's problems (of which it has many), it is still my homeland, so I am rather fond of it. :P

Shaidz:
I have been pondering this question for at least 5 minutes now and though it would make a good discussion. I am not American or live in America (I actually live at the bottom of the world in a small country called New Zealand AKA Hobbiton) so I was wondering what American think of other countries and their own. You see, if you didn't know, American doesn't have the best public image among the rest of the world, we kind of see you guys as that annoying big brother you don't really like but have to get along with as he has all the cool toys. So my question is what do American think of everyone else, what thoughts come to mind when you head people talk about France or the UK, Australia or even NZ? Also, what do you guys think about your own country?

P.s, if you are not American, it would be cool to hear how you feel about other countries from your standpoint as well.

America isn't exactly the shiniest coin in the purse, but damn if we aren't the one with the highest value.

We're overconfident, and our bureaucracy is death if we want to change. So, one muddy coin. Our political system works, but the people in it are lunatics. Further, it would take the tiniest thing to cause us to invade someone.

The European states are worse off, and many people find the multiparty system that Germany uses appealing, even though the fringe groups it gives power are not the best in America, Germany's notwithstanding. Now, mind, what works for them kinda sorta works for them, but it wouldn't work here, because of the ridiculously large array of political ideals, even if they are all vaguely homogenized.

TL;DR: Americans are uninformed on the whole, without much idea of those outside of the country. Equally, Europe more or less is broken too.

Americans are bloody annoying. A few good ones here and there, but the masses just bother me. I'd move, but I'm not sure where I'd go. I have, however, traveled the world quite a bit.

I was quite fond of Australia when I visited. But it was a bit unnerving to have to constantly check to make sure nothing was lurking to kill you every time you went to the bathroom or put on your shoes. Wombats are among my favorite animals thanks to my visit down under. Kangaroos are too friendly for their own good. I frequently tell people I got more pictures of kangaroo tongues than of actual kangaroos when I went to a petting zoo.

I spent a week skiing in Chamonix, France, and I am convinced that this is the most lovely place in the entire world. My desktop background right now is Mont Blanc, and every time I look at it, the image takes my breath away. I actually had quite a good time in Paris as well, even though my French wasn't even remotely fluent. Parisians get a bad rep in America. We're told they hate Americans and are rude. I never encountered any of that. My brother and father did when they went out alone, but neither of them knew a word of French, while I was passable. I think that is the difference. Parisians resent having people come to their country, and then being expected to speak their language. If you make an honest attempt at French, they will be as nice and helpful as you could imagine.

I was born in Dubai, UAE, and while I don't remember it, I do remember my parents' friends from there. Wonderful people, all. That's why I've never bought into the "Muslims are evil" nonsense that the US media likes to spit out. I've met real Muslims, and every single one has been far more tolerant and genuinely nice than the average Christian I have been exposed to. As a lesbian atheist, I wouldn't want to live there, but I'm certainly more pro-Arab than the vast majority of the nation. Between that and having read up on how horribly the Arabs were screwed over post WWI, you can likely guess my feelings on Israel.

I quite liked England, though the weather was a bit dreary when I was there, so we couldn't do as much as I would have liked. I intend to go back at some point, catch an Arsenal match live.

I didn't actually visit Amsterdam, but I did have an eight hour layover there while flying to France. The workers in the airport made it sound like rapists and drug addicts were hanging out just outside the doors, so I didn't even consider leaving. I retain a little of that fear, even a decade later.

There are quite a few placed I'd like to visit, as well. Japan, South Korea, China, Egypt, Germany. Just haven't gotten around to it.

In general, I've got a positive opinion of most of the world. Sure, all nations have their faults, but after experiencing how horrible America can be, it's hard not to look at pretty much anywhere else without some degree of optimism.

I like America. It's my home, after all. But I'm not so blind that I think it has no faults. The scenery and culture are great, to be sure, but our political scene is a little off-kilter and there are plenty of social mores that definitely need to be shot down, but overall I have a generally positive view of my country.

As for other nations, I haven't really visited any except Canada, and only then when I was very young. I'd quite like to experience the culture of another country, though. It'd be interesting to live in a smaller and more tolerant community. Overall, I think that the differences dividing nations are more political than anything, and I figure I could enjoy the company of people both in the USA and abroad. There will always be bad apples, sure, but in general I don't think the USA is more or less prone to such things.

I happen to be from the US. I think that a good bit of people from other countries are just as (if not more) pretentious as they stereotype the US to be. No, we do not believe we are the best at everything. No, we do not believe we were first at everything. No, we do not believe the rest of the world is a run down shit hole. And, for god's sake, we aren't all fat.

I like Canada though, they seem to mind their own business in foreign affairs.

Belgian here:

US: great country, crazy politics and a tad bit too patriotic (which sometimes borderlines Nationalistic Arrogance) in my opinion. But people are generally very nice and friendly.

France: Oh God... the country is beautiful and has a lot of culture to offer but the people... Not to put everyone in the same sack, i have met plenty of very friendly Frenchmen, but many are arrogant little twats who think that France is the center of the world. They love making jokes about Belgians but when we return the favor they get all upset. Silly frogs :P

Netherlands: while i can't stand their accent for one bit i don't really have any complaints. I haven't gone to the Netherlands often so i can't really tell but most dutchmen i know are fine folks (despite their despicable accent).

Italians: All i know is that their Ski resorts make the French one look like hell but due to my lack of skills in Italian and their lack of skills in any language but Italian i have never really gotten any opportunity to socialize there. I loved Berlusconi though, he was the funniest politician ever (must be crap to actually have him as a president but as a foreigner he provided for good laughs)

Germans: Too serious. No seriously, stop being so hard-working and strict. You make everyone else look bad. Whenever i think of Germany i think of hard work... and considering they host the oktober fest i should be linking it to beer instead.

Canada: Too friendly and nice, they made me realize how asocial we are in Europe.

And i can't really say anything about other countries.

From the US
We have a lot of political issues but they are all small and most could be fixed with term limits on Congress. Get rid of all those entrenched geezers who measure their career in decades.

I haven't gotten the chance to travel out of the country yet, but I hope to do some traveling soon. So I don't have an opinion on other countries, but I will say I admire Germany and Finland for their education systems. I would really like to visit South Korea at some point.

I am an American. I love my country. I like the majority of what my country does for the rest of the world. What I dislike are individuals that really do not understand the United States, criticize it with the same old rubbish (ex: Guns. We like being able to own them. What of it?), and automatically assume we are a bunch of uneducated rednecks. Seriously, you can only have a conversation with so many copies of the villain from Shanghai Knights before it starts to become an increasingly attractive option to increase our military budget because you are scared that 90% of the world wants to destroy your way of life.

As for other countries:

China- SO MUCH DAMN POTENTIAL!!!! I have several Chinese friends, and all of them are intelligent, hard working, and harbor so much hatred for their government. I wish the youth had more power there. Unfortunately, Chinese politics is pretty much dominated by the older population, much like our politics. Which really blows. China can do a lot of good for the world.

India- Such an interesting place. I love the culture. It's a bit idiotic at times, mind you, but so is all culture. (The caste system, for example.)

Germany- I don't know any Germans, so. . .

The UK- I love the British, even though most British people on the Internet don't seem to love me. That's fine. I'll kill with huggles!

Norway- My Step Grandmother is Norwegian. The way she describes the place, it seems a bit odd to have to pay so much for a beer, but hey, whatever works for em.

Canada- The nicest folks I've ever met in my line of work were Canadians.

France- I hold much respect for the French. No, really. I do. The history, the language, the culture, it's amazing. I can imagine a much better world if the French and the US worked closer together.

In fact, that goes for every country. There are surely things we all agree on. If we worked together on just a fraction of them regardless of other issues, the world would be so much better.

I'm from America. When I think of Australia and New Zealand, exotic is the word the comes to mind, and breathtaking scenery. When I think of European countries I think of the history and culture and the fine foods. What do I think of the of the world in general? I think allot of people hate us.

American and I love America; just have some issues with the folks making desicions 'round here. It's kinda cool how when you go from state to state; you're exposed to some actually pretty diverse cultures.

As for other countries...would love to visit Australia...so long as I'm allowed the tools to contend with the crazy wildlife there...Screaming spiders...fuckin' really? As for New Zealand...haven't given much thought to it actually.

With regard to the world in general...why bother hating us? We and China aren't exactly friends, yet we still give them all teh moniez. Fuckin' Pakistan was sheltering bin Laden and we STILL give them MILLIONS in foreign aid. If you give us a reason to work with you, and you don't mind the occasional annexation of a tiny island nation...oh wait...maybe New Zealand should be worried...

Wow, only two people mentioned my country of origin so far. Okay, onto doing this

Australia - It's my home, and I find it to be a pretty cool place to live, mostly because I live in Canberra and it's large enough to have everything I could want but small enough so that traffic is not much of an issue.

New Zealand - Nice place from what I hear, and they engage us Aussie in some good-natured insult trading.

US - Having lived there for three years, it's not that bad. Most of my gripes would be putting up other students thinking I was from some backwater island, and the various culture clashes (forgot how Imperial worked as soon as I got back to good old fashioned metric, I prefer using u in colour thank you very much). Now almost a decade after I left I can appreciate things I wasn't in a position to understand when I was still a kid, mostly politics and economics.

My biggest complaints against the country would be the ones leveled at the minority of it, so I won't bore you all with them in here.

Moving along:

India - Very different place to live in and a month isn't long enough to really take it in. A lot of beautiful architecture, also a lot of povety on the streets and the world's most chaotic order on the roads.

Canada - I still have a lot of friends from the Great White North, I like it more than the US, probably because it's more similar to Australia than the US is.

americans think?

Ok, nationalistic jokes aside (well hey the thread called for it) ill move on.

Lithuania here. Grass is always greener on the other side.
We hate russians. like, really really hate them. if they do soemthing some way, we will go to great lenghts to do it any other way but the russian way. this has to do with the fact that we were opressed by them for a century and still are.
Poland. oh boy, this is turning into war soon. we hate polish, polish hate us, and yet both parties go to eachother toeritory to shop. this is one of those settings when factions are forming and we have a gang war. now with poland president that seemt to keep them at bay and the new one seems to support the idea of hostile takeover of our capital like they did after WW1.
Ireland/UK - favourite spot to move to live. has "teh best culture".
Norway, germany, italy, spain - summer work locations. Unlike many nations we dont hold a grudge agiasnt nazis, at least most of us, because they were the only ones that liberated us from russia, whne the rest of the world promised to and then just told us to foff.
USA is still the "Dream land" to most.
EAST countries - some uneducated cavemen, with exception for japan which is robots and stuff.
Africa: the only place as corrupt as us. gangfights 24/7

I'm from the United States. Born in Massachusetts, live in New Hampshire, went to university in North Carolina. At one point or another I've visited each of the states along the eastern seaboard, and I've been to a few of the states out west.

Overall, I'm not super enthusiastic about my country. The government seems to be full of corruption and incompetence and large segments of the population seem to be woefully lacking in education.

Whenever my government does something that I find appalling, it makes me rather upset knowing that these are the people who represent me. These are the people that the rest of the world use to judge what kind of a person I am. It's depressing as all hell. I feel the same way about the "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!" crowd (who don't even seem to understand that that song was making fun of that mentality). Like it or not, the United States really doesn't top the rest of the world in very many measured categories, and the ones in which we do come out on top tend to be pretty bad ones.

I don't normally post much in the R&P section of the escapist. The reason I did today was to express how sad I am about my homeland's current state. A while back a friend of mine linked me a Youtube clip from a TV show called "The Newsroom" starring Jeff Daniels. In this clip, he pretty accurately sums up everything I find wrong with the United States right now. If you have eight minutes to spare, I highly recommend watching it.

As for the rest of the world... I can't say I feel particularly strongly one way or the other about any nation. I know how much it hurts to be lumped into stereotypes, and frankly, I admit I don't know enough about other countries to make accurate assessments of them. And even if I did know more about those countries, I certainly wouldn't want to simplify my feelings toward its entire population. I'd rather judge people as individuals, and let them speak for themselves. No one has any control over where they were born. As far as I'm concerned, people from every country are my brothers and sisters. Idealistic? Sure. But in my mind, it beats the hell out of putting other people through the same kind of bullshit I have to take because of my government's actions and a vocal minority. It bothers the hell out of me that people out there hate me simply because of which piece of dirt I happened to be born on, not because they actually got to know me.

Im British or Welsh to be exact and I can safely say that the worst country in the world is none other than England and you should all came to Wales instead because it's much better and has way more sheep :p

Most of my friends are from America and Canada. I have a pretty good view of Canada, it sounds like a really nice place and I wouldn't mind visiting it at some point. I am not a fan of America, I visited it recently for a 2 week Florida holiday and it was alright but your goverment and some of the more vocal groups there are really terrible :/
America seems like a mixed case, I mostly hear about the bad things such as your religious nutjobs and overly patriotic idiots but there are some pretty good people there too.

I find I have a pretty good view of most of Europe except for France because I am British and therefore hate the French except when talking about the wars we wrecked them in.
Germany sounds like a pretty decent place right now and I have always heard good things about Sweden.

I don't know that much about Asian countries but as an avid anime fan I do like Japan :D
India sounds alright, I see them as a country that has some good things going for them right now. I also have a pretty positive image of South Korea while North Korea is.....................I don't even know. It's like a joke but it's actually real and serious.

Randy Newman said it best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCim7mmLWRA

"Boom goes London and boom Parie
More room for you and more room for me"

I'm American & I don't see most other countries as being better or worse than America, they are just simply different & for whatever reason so many Americans are afraid of anything different. I for one would love to see as many places in the world as I could before I die. I've only ever visited Canada & it seemed like a nice place to live, but I was just passing through on my way to Alaska so I didn't have time to take in the sights & really see the place.
Eh America isn't a bad place to live, but it does have its problems(as does every other nation in the world) & I honestly believe that we should look after our own problems & not stick our noses into every other countries business.

Interesting places to visit. One could actually think about living in one of those countries. Even if some of the food is a god awful. (Looking at you UK.)

However, looking at the rest of the world... seems to be a hell hole. From people murdering each other of small religious differences, honor killings, and tribal mind sets. (Avoiding naming the countries often associated with these things to avoid a flame war)

edit: As an American looking at my country, I really hate its foreign policy. To much adventurism for my taste. I don't want to be the worlds policeman.

As an American, I don't have any great feelings about most other countries - frankly, I'd rather see a world government come into effect as opposed to the divisive nature of geographic nationalism as it stands, but that seems highly unlikely with so many wildly varying views on everything from abortion to foreign policy being present and individual corruption/greed running rampant through most political bodies.
Then again, I wholly believe humanity will not truly prosper until we cast aside the small divisions (such as nationalistic pride and focus on racial/religious identity), to tackle greater obstacles (such as in-depth exploration of space and bio-engineering).

While I greatly appreciate the ability to live in relative safety and comfort, I don't delude myself to the reality - or try not to, at least.
That said, my own country is, to my eyes as a citizen, something of a joke.

Americans tout our country as one of freedom and justice, yet our freedoms are routinely undermined (often at the behest of a certain religious group's moral viewpoint) and our governmental system is rife with corruption and scandal (which few are ever truly held accountable for).

I feel no great pride in being an American, and thus don't share the extreme nationalism exhibited by some of my countrymen. Then again, I also don't share the wealth of ignorance - about the world, about reality, about philosophical ideas and basic human behavior - becoming ever more prevalent in many parts of the nation, so go figure.

I can't say I have any trust or respect for our political figures, even the ones with whom I agree on some topics, and I must admit not having a great deal of respect for my countrymen who believe our government is anything but a group of corrupt, manipulative scumbags out to improve their own position (often to the detriment of those they represent).

Something I really can't stand is the efforts of certain religious groups in this country - you know who you are - to label the nation, and by extension everyone within, as ascribing to a particular religiously-based viewpoint on morality and the nature of reality, often contrary to what scientific evidence presents (case in point, middle-America's repeated efforts to get Creationism taught in public schools).
The fact that our nation was specifically designed NOT to be a nation controlled by religion seems to have eluded them, and their continued efforts to the contrary are extremely frustrating - as are their implications of claiming a moral high ground thanks to their choice of faith.

tl;dr: America is okay - a better place to live than many others, but by no means a perfect nation- but is rife with political corruption, religious tampering and general ignorance. As for other nations, for the most part I have no strong opinion of them one way or the other.

America has serious issues. I have to watch news where some damn kid got killed due to this or that every day because I live near a major city. I drove halfway across the country (1,288 miles) and got to listen to the same damn news, just a different place.

I have to watch politicians care more about oneupmanship and revenge then about actually fixing the problem. I watch the very thin margin of extremist (5% of the population, tops?) get the most news attention and have them be our 'face' to the rest of the world. The west-borough church is a couple of hundred people, tops, if even that much, but people point and scream 'see, this is why Christians are evil!'. Take your pick for any other large social group. Republicans? Oh, that one senator said something about rape, all American conservatives must be that way!

But I also get to live in a country that loves and accepts immigrants that adapt to us. We adore our little italies, our little chinas. Why? Because they are trying. They keep their own culture but also embrace the overall American spirit. They might not speak great English, but they try. And I think more then any other place in the world I've been too we don't resent that, we love it. We love to see people coming into America and trying to be American, even while keeping their own culture.

I love that in live in a country where I can sit down to lunch with a pair of jewish twins, a german guy, an italian guy, a few puerto ricans, and a french-descendent like myself and no one gives a shit. I love being able to discuss politics or religion with people with radically different views then my own and just be able to discuss it face to face. Does it happen in other places? I'm sure it does. But I really doubt you'll find so many disparate backgrounds and opinions gathered in one place so peacefully.

I also love that I live in a country that acknowledges that people should be allowed to practice their religion freely and openly, because they have just as much right to do that as you do to not practice that religion. And the basic morality of Christianity (the ACTUAL morality and not the standard bullshit anti-christianity morality spouted) is really not bad, and I'm OK and historically behind the fact that yes, those values and the founders values added up as they were largely deist and Christians. Build a Mosque? Go ahead. Build a Synagogue? Go ahead. Build a church? Go ahead. Doesn't matter to us from a law level, even if individuals disagree with it, which is fine! Individuals have the RIGHT to disagree with religions, both from an atheistic and another religion standpoint.

I would rather live in America then any other nation on the earth for solely that reason. I've been to Europe, and I've traveled across America and Canada and into the Caribbean, and no place has the diversity that America does.

As for the rest of the world...

I'm tired of being the bad guy no matter what. I'm tired of us being the worlds police, and much like the regular police, unless your directly helping someone they are super suspicious of you. Australia has insanely high government control as far as I'm concerned, Europe is filled with racial tension and failing economies, sub-Saharan Africa is largely a chaotic hellhole of famine, warlords, and plague (god help them) with some bright spots and even those bright spots sit on a razors edge most of the time, China is largely controlled by a communist-statist party that still uses the old fashioned stalin/mao style of removing people and stomping on the necks of those seeking more personal freedoms (How quickly do we forget tiananmen square), the Indian sub-continent is both over populated and the number one candidate to start a nuclear war (Pakistan vs. India), south-east Asia is largely made up of police states it seems, and Russia can't decide whether it wants to be state-controlled or more libertarian.

*Breath* so yeah, as screwed up as America is, I still think its in a much better place then the rest of the world.

@Bentusi16, you need to visit New Zealand, from what you have written i think you would like it here.

Shaidz:
@Bentusi16, you need to visit New Zealand, from what you have written i think you would like it here.

I would but I've made enemies there I don't care to run into, and to be fair you all might be a little to wishy washy for me.

Also I heard about that volcano going up, I hope everything is alright down there.

Bentusi16:

Shaidz:

I would but I've made enemies there I don't care to run into, and to be fair you all might be a little to wishy washy for me.

Also I heard about that volcano going up, I hope everything is alright down there.

HAHAH, NZ isnt THAT small, wishey Washy eh, i guess we can be a bit too relaxed. As for the Volcano, meh, just put up some ash, i swear people overseas care more about it that we do (i guess i see what you mean by 'wishy washy' hahah)

I've actually only been to one other country myself; Canada. If there is one thing I can say about Canada and Canadians its that everything is nice. The people, the cities, the garbage. Yes, even the garbage is quite nice.

I know a couple of people from Hong Kong, Brazil, Germany, and Japan, but I can't much really base my opinion of a people off one person.

I am from the kingdom that is united.
I have been to a few countries in Europe and a couple of west coast states.
the Americans I met were very nice, confident, out going people.
they are not thick as projected or extremely... well.... round.

I found most to be pretty smart people, however some can be a little 'uninformed' about the rest of the world.
some people interpret this as being a bit dim but if somebody asked me questions on Asia I would be, bar the basics, stumped if I'm honest because I rarely look up things on Asia.
that's what it is for most Americans, they have a large country to travel and focus on so I don't blame them for not knowing about things half the world away.

I didn't find it a bad thing, sometimes it can be quite entertaining, like when you say your from Camelot and they believe you. Lol

I've always wonderd if the people that bash Americans, have they even been there? I bet most haven't.

carlsberg export:

I've always wonderd if the people that bash Americans, have they even been there? I bet most haven't.

That's actually a really good point, i do think people take to much from media and should experience something before judging it, but it is hard, it is hard to ignore things you see on the news, read in the paper or even see on TV and movies. I think its something we as humans need to work on, we are way to quick judge. I like the idea of moving away from nationality defining who we are and towards a world were we work together as the human race, not as individual counties. But i guess that is wishful thinking, at least in this current age (though, thanks to the interwebs, things are changing...slowly, but change is change)

Personally I think Europe lacking a "McCarthy" has saved them from some of the crazy "ALL LEFT WINGERS ARE DIRTY FREAKING SOCIALISTS!!!" lunacy that infests American politics. I also can appreciate the culture of a lot of European countries, though occasionally the people can be a tad bit stuck up... Some of the nicest people I've met online have been Germans, and I honestly love British Humor (There are the classics like Monty Python, but I enjoy Mitchell and Webb's skits as well) and I really enjoy a few shows on the BBC like Sherlock.

Asia is a bit of a... Er... Mixed bag. A lot of the Asian peers I've had were really friendly and polite, which is something I can appreciate. Asian teachers though? Er... Not so much...

When it comes to Africa, I've met a few very friendly African Exchange Students. Though I did know an Egyptian guy (it's up for debate whether egypt is part of Africa or The Middle East) who seemed to be a bit full of himself.

Finally, South and Central America is... Sort of a "Meh" thing. I'm a white Catholic living in Southern California. I've grown up alongside quite a few hispanic people, each with almost wildly different personalities. I don't really have much of an opinion of them as a whole that I can judge them with one similar personality trait.

generals3:
Belgian here:

US: great country, crazy politics and a tad bit too patriotic (which sometimes borderlines Nationalistic Arrogance) in my opinion. But people are generally very nice and friendly.

France: Oh God... the country is beautiful and has a lot of culture to offer but the people... Not to put everyone in the same sack, i have met plenty of very friendly Frenchmen, but many are arrogant little twats who think that France is the center of the world. They love making jokes about Belgians but when we return the favor they get all upset. Silly frogs :P

Netherlands: while i can't stand their accent for one bit i don't really have any complaints. I haven't gone to the Netherlands often so i can't really tell but most dutchmen i know are fine folks (despite their despicable accent).

Italians: All i know is that their Ski resorts make the French one look like hell but due to my lack of skills in Italian and their lack of skills in any language but Italian i have never really gotten any opportunity to socialize there. I loved Berlusconi though, he was the funniest politician ever (must be crap to actually have him as a president but as a foreigner he provided for good laughs)

Germans: Too serious. No seriously, stop being so hard-working and strict. You make everyone else look bad. Whenever i think of Germany i think of hard work... and considering they host the oktober fest i should be linking it to beer instead.

Canada: Too friendly and nice, they made me realize how asocial we are in Europe.

And i can't really say anything about other countries.

"You mean it 'wasn't' legal to let barely legal teens into a political gathering under the guise of journalism so that I could kiss them to relieve myself of boredom?"

You're right.. He provided some good humor to the European political stage, but he was a corrupt, incompetent bastard when it came to politics.

Other Europeans: Apart from the British, I think most of the larger ones on the continent as part of my own people, we are very similiar in culture and the differences arent much different than region-to-region.

To go more into details..

Germany: Our Proud neighbor, and inspiration to our moderate rightwing. I disagree with their system, but I have to admit it works as intended.

Sweden: there really isnt much of a difference... Lost brother and all. I speak decent Swedish.

Norway: Funny enough theres a larger difference in System than to Sweeden, I blame the oil. But the language they speak is almost the exact same so I guess I feel somekinda closer bond to those guys too : P..

Hungary: I dunno, I like them more than the rest. I think its because of all those different thanks from Hungary signs I've seen on train stations. Denmark apparently have really good relations with them due to help given in a crisis and a long-term economical management plan still in effect. Our Royalty visits them often.

Scotland: Less Eurosceptic is better. Scotlands policies looks like something I agree wtih more than Englands. As such I dont really want to lob them in with either the extremely religious Ireland or the Eurosceptic England.

Americas: Mixed bag, the Republicans I know are assholes refusing change. The Liberals I know are cowards too scared to support change. Still its aura and history gives me the constant urge to not just visit when I finished my education. But more there and live. Despite hating their politics, and knowing that I have much better chances back here. America just has this effect on me saying 'Move here'

South America: Dont know any, cant comment. Looks nice enough in the countries with the least troubles with drug Cartels.

Asia: Only know Japaneese as an example here, but I gotta say from my perspective. They are the most xenophobic people I have ever met, I was like.. I thought the Danish Folkparti had racists, that was until I saw the Japaneese. Foreigners dont just have to integrate over time, they have to instantly understand their culture, speak their language without fault. Respect the classes above them (Its a thing in Japan apparently) as the Japaneese do, and since they are obviously at the buttom that mean they have to act like second-class citizens to 'everyone' else. I mean, by god.

For me (mostly in order):

Scandinavian nations make the rest of the world look backward.

New Zealand, much the same as home, but a teensy bit more socially advanced.

Australia (where I live). One of the best countries in the world, but I'm very aware that could all fall apart in a single generation. We've embraced diversity in a big way, almost a quarter of Australians were born overseas, reasonably tolerant for the most part, and though our politicians are much maligned, this seems to be in comparison with some abstract ideal, not against actual politicians that exist. Very common to hear complaints that they are boring, that the PM has an annoying voice or that the leader of the opposition wears Speedos. As long as that's what people are complaining about, things are going alright.

Some serious problems in a few areas, though, notably in regards to Indigenous Australians, whose life expectancy, for example, is some 20 years less than the average.

The United Kingdom seems like a very decent example of a country, but perhaps to the extent it makes it tempting to overlook the issues it does have. Seems to be a little shaky at the moment...I'm not expecting it to collapse, but might endure a majot hiccough sometime soon.

Canada I don't know too much about, beyond all the best US shows having strong Canadian influence. I'd say that, like the UK, they are a good example of a good way to run a nation.

The US is a big and powerful nation, which worries me because what affects the US has large knock-on effects on the world, and it seems populated in large part by any number of factions violently opposed to each other for no good reason. Possibly the stated aim of individuality and personal progress is getting in the way of working in a community noticeably more than in most Western nations.

Thailand isn't as developed as the above nations, but people tend to assume that means more than it does in reality, imagining some primitive backwater for some reason, instead of a nation somewhat behind their own. The Thai army is amongst the world's best in counter insurgency (to the extent that you don't hear about them, the problems are kept too small to be newsworthy), and is not loyal to the government. The ideology is that they should be loyal directly to the people, the Thai government lets them just get on with it.

Indonesia is the world's largest Muslim nation, and was for a long time seen as the Great Threat to Australia...and not without cause. More recently, however, ties have improved dramatically. Still some serious human rights issues, but things seem to be getting better.

Tonga is a small island nation, until very recently run by a monarchy, but with big moves towards democracy in recent years. Some serious human rights issues, such as criminalising homosexuality. Despite its size, Tonga is active in international missions, sending marines to Iraq and forces to the Solomon Islands.

New Guinea is suffering from severe economic issues, to the extent that it can't afford to train its military, or protect military stockpiles. Also serious issues with human rights and education...IIRC, people being murdered for witchcraft isn't that unknown.

East Timor was recently part of Indonesia, but became its own nation, supported by an Australian led peacekeeping force. Things were tense with Indonesia for some time, but recently the heads of all three natiosn met in a friendly atmosphere at a conference, which nobody would have beleived ten years ago. Australia is staging down its presence there.

Big Brother? I have no idea what you're talking about.

What I think of other countries... Well, I know the US has this annoying habit of being in everyone's business. But I can hardly feel ashamed when I'm not the asshole doing it. As for other places...

France - It's a very nice place, but why do you have to be shitty to tourists? Everyone else TRIES to put on a good face.

China - China has my ire right now. No, it's not because of how they run the country or the selling of children for MMO commodities or even the lead. It's the stink bugs, the motherfucking stink bugs. THESE ARE YOUR BUGS!! NOW TAKE THEM BACK!!!

The UK - Longers series line-ups. Look into it.

Luxembourg - Your recent study on video game violence made me feel bad for your entire country. Why did you choose to put yourselves on the map with this when you could've done real research or NOT BOTHERED because Luxembourg is a nice place?

Thaaat's all I can think of right now.

Wellll...how about this!

OT: What do we Americans think of the USA? It's the best country that is/was/ever will be AND it's the worst failure that is/was/ever will be. Which one it is depends not just on which of us 300 million plus people you ask but when you ask us...especially if we've been drinking recently or dealing with elections (which tends to lead to drinking, FYI).

Having never been out of the USA I've no personal experience with "Fuurriners" to base an opinion on.

As such I'm pretty much limited to believing in stereotypes:

Canada: Basically USA Lite, same great taste--less filling. Except for Quebec, which is apparently full of anglophobic jerks.

Mexico: Pancho Villa LIVES! Speedy Gonzales. Nobody talks American. Never drink the water. Sombreros for everybody! And tacos...mmmm, tacos....

England: Tea drinkers. And they've got The Queen. (There's only one queen on earth and she's a cute but tough old bird)

Ireland: Beer. Terrorists live up north.

Scotland: Whiskey. Claymores. Kilts. Whiskey. Clans. Scotch whiskey. Highlander!!!

Wales: From the Escapist I've learned that all Welshmen are sheep rapists. Who knew?

France: Stinky cheese. Champagne. Sexy accents and rude people. The Eiffel Tower.

Russia: SOVIETS! Arrgh! You won't get us! You won't-you won't--y-what? The Cold War's over? Who won? Also lots of gorgeous women with sexy accents. Ukrainian mail-order brides.

Germany: Nazis (boooo!). Also beer, hot blondes, and Oktober Fest (Yayyyy!)

Northern Europe: Vikings and windmills. Lots of gorgeous blondes.

Mediterranean Countries: Scenes from James Bond movies and Gladiator. Also lots of bad 70's spy movies. "Da Godfaddah".

Northern Africa: Lawrence of Arabia? Oh, wait, that's Saudi Arabia or something. North Africa means terrorists and Luke Skywalker's home of Tatooine.

Mid and South Africa: Lot's of impoverished black people starving (Ethiopia especially) and/or just killing each other. Except for South Africa--Apartheid gave way to Post-Civil War America in Africa or something. Tarzan lives in the middle of the continent, somewhere.

Central America: From Miami Vice I know that this is where all the drug lords and drugs come from. Mostly Banana Republics where people live in dirt floored huts and have no electricity or running water.

South America: Same as Central America but with stone age Amazon tribes. Also Llamas. Llamas are cool. The Sims taught me that over 10 years ago.

Antarctica: Aliens vs. Predator territory.

Middle East: Terrorists everywhere. Everybody hates the USA. Nobody talks American. Yes, it's "American"! Only hoity toity Brits call it "English".

India: Mowgli from The Jungle Book. Lots of statues with six arms. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom. Monkeys. I don't know why monkeys. Probably because of The Jungle Book.

Siberia: Frozen mammoths.

Mongolia: Home of Genghis Khan--the Baddest Baddie who was ever Bad!

China: Martial Arts movies. Tiananmen Square. Communists. Hong Kong now belongs to China. Also they're waiting for the Dali Lama to die so they can name the next one and rule Tibetan Buddhism. I don't like that because Llamas are cool.

Vietnam: Rambo.

Japan: Samurai, of course. Nobody speaks American and they don't give a damn because they're totally xenophobic. Geishas live here. They bombed Pearl Harbor and a couple of years later we introduced them to Fat Boy and Little Man and the American saying: "Payback's a bitch". Sushi comes from Japan. They kill whales and eat them, which pisses off the rest of the world. Manga porn comes from Japan. You can buy underaged girls' underwear in vending machines here, thus proving that the Japs are close to matching the USA for weirdness. Closest thing to the 51st US state in Asia.

Philippines: LBFM mail-order brides.

New Guinea Islands: The primitive head hunting tribes who live here introduced the rest of the world to the terms "Long Pig" and "Long Pork". This, if nothing else, qualifies them as some of the coolest braves on the planet.

Australia: Everything's venomous and/or poisonous. Crocodile Dundee. 1980's tourist commercials that talk about "putting shrimp on the 'barby". Yahtzee lives here. Beaches where women go topless--which probably explains why Yahtzee moved here from England, now that I think about it.

New Zealand: Hobbits. Mount Doom is going up. Tattooed Maori warriors. It's considered rude to pick your teeth in public around Maori, because that's what people do after they've eaten long pork. Mmmmm, long pork...

Shaidz:
You see, if you didn't know, American doesn't have the best public image among the rest of the world, we kind of see you guys as that annoying big brother you don't really like but have to get along with as he has all the cool toys. So my question is what do American think of everyone else, what thoughts come to mind when you head people talk about France or the UK, Australia or even NZ? Also, what do you guys think about your own country?

I-I-I'm shocked! I thought everybody thought that we were heaven's gift to the rest of humanity. Why, we haven't invaded any 3rd world countries and pounded them down to the point of they're having to eat their own dead [1] in half a decade now! I am feeling soooo disillusioned...excuse me...I need to go play Risk on the PC and conquer the world to make me feel better...

[1] ...Mmmmm...long pig...

New Yorker here:

Okay, 90% sure that my opinion is unique, but I generally regard the Northeast, West Coast, and Hawaii as the most competent and intelligent parts of the country. Generally, that is where you find the best education, economies, and the most intelligent people. Whenever someone says something like: "Country X is Stupid!!! America FTW!!!!!" It comes out of the former Confederate states or the Midwest.

I generally regard most other countries in higher regard than my own.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked