What do Americans Think?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I've seen and heard very little to engender any sort of support for foreign nations.

France- I rarely every hear anything good about France from people that have been there. Yeah, it might be nice if everyone who went there spoke your language, but it's not going to happen, so deal with it. I also think their language is probably the worst sounding language on the planet.

England- Maybe it's because the UK was the premier world power for a very long time, but they seem to be the most in-line with the US. In the event the US decided to take its ball and go home, the UK would be the first one to ask us not to. I couldn't tell you the difference between the Brits, Welsh, Anglo Saxons, etc. etc. I can't even tell the difference between the accents, though I've heard they're pretty distinct. The UK is probably as close of a 'friend' to the US as they come in Europe.

Canada- Its a thing? The best thing to ever come out of Canada was BioWare, and I say that because I can't honestly name a single other thing to come from Canada. Most of the Canadians I've met haven't been any different then Americans (except for the one guy who thought Bush was the greatest president because he'd destroy America). They were just as content to care as little about the rest of the world as Americans are accused of being.

Mexico- moving on before I get banned. I will say that there's apparently still some resentment over the Mexican-American war...back in 1848.

China- Fuck China. That is all.

Germany- As I understand it, Germany is pretty much the lynch pin of the EU. It'll be interesting to see if they can sort everything out, and what the power dynamics will look like in a couple decades. I've heard modern Germany is a nice place, but I don't speak the language, so I have very little interest in visiting to find out for myself.

Ireland- A good portion of my family lineage comes from Ireland. The landscape doesn't much appeal to me, but Gavin comes from there, so that's always a plus. As far as I'm aware, Ireland has no official military, which means they should probably stay as buddy-buddy with England as they possibly can.

Japan- WAY too crowded for my tastes. Maybe a bit too tied up in formality and tradition, but I have no real strong opinions on them.

South Korea- South Korea is probably our most important strategic ally in east Asia, at the moment. They seem to largely trust the US, and are very tolerant of the US presence there, if only because of the constant DPRK posturing.

Libya- I'm keeping a very skeptical view of Libya, for the moment. We'll see if they can actually sort themselves out without descending into chaos.

Vietnam- I can't help but feel that, if we'd stayed there, things would have turned out a lot better for at least half the country.

North Korea- Why do we allow it to exist? Oh, yeah, China. Forgot.

America- I will proudly say that I think the US is the best country on the planet. It was where I was born, it's where I live, it's the nation I plan to serve with many years of my life. I truly believe I would not have the things I do, nor the sense of individual pride, had I been born elsewhere. If the fact that I'm a patriot is enough for you to immediately condemn me, and my entire country, then that says everything I need to know about you, as a person. Yes, we have our problems, our politicians can't seem to adjust to a changing world, and too many are still trying to process the fact that the Cold War is over.

Things will get much better (I hope) once the baby-boomer generation is out of the way, and the tea party disintegrates. Our system does need some reformatting, but what we've accomplished in the past, and what we'll accomplish in the future, is enough for me to still feel the pride.

And, if you happen to think that America needs to butt out, my question is this: Is YOUR country ready to stand up and take that burden? If not, sit down and shut up.

Faraja:
As far as I'm aware, Ireland has no official military, which means they should probably stay as buddy-buddy with England as they possibly can.

Not true, of course Ireland has a military. It rarely takes part in international operations in a big way, though it does a lot of patrolling the sea lines and boarding suspect ships.

Faraja:
And, if you happen to think that America needs to butt out, my question is this: Is YOUR country ready to stand up and take that burden? If not, sit down and shut up.

What burden? Generally, people think the US should butt out of things they don't think should be done in the first place.

thaluikhain:

Faraja:
As far as I'm aware, Ireland has no official military, which means they should probably stay as buddy-buddy with England as they possibly can.

Not true, of course Ireland has a military. It rarely takes part in international operations in a big way, though it does a lot of patrolling the sea lines and boarding suspect ships.

See, you learn something new everyday.

thaluikhain:

Faraja:

What burden? Generally, people think the US should butt out of things they don't think should be done in the first place.

Yes, we invaded Iraq for some shitty reasons. However, can you honestly sit there and tell me that the people of Iraq don't have a better shot at having a decent future now that Hussein is gone?

Faraja:
Yes, we invaded Iraq for some shitty reasons. However, can you honestly sit there and tell me that the people of Iraq don't have a better shot at having a decent future now that Hussein is gone?

Honestly? I don't know.

I'd like to think a stable government is going to hold Iraq firmly enough that real progress is made.

But I'm afraid that either the country falls apart, or something comparable to Hussein takes power.

Maybe things will improve, and it will turn out to have been the right decision, but it's cost hundreds of thousands of lives to get to that "maybe".

thaluikhain:

Faraja:

Honestly? I don't know.

I'd like to think a stable government is going to hold Iraq firmly enough that real progress is made.

But I'm afraid that either the country falls apart, or something comparable to Hussein takes power.

Maybe things will improve, and it will turn out to have been the right decision, but it's cost hundreds of thousands of lives to get to that "maybe".

A perfectly understandable concern. I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the same things. Are we going to have to go back in ten/fifteen years? Will Iraq be able to hold itself together? Will the new and growing middle class be a major boon to the country? They're questions I can't answer now, but I think they have a much better shot at success than they would have otherwise.

Shaidz:
I have been pondering this question for at least 5 minutes now and though it would make a good discussion. I am not American or live in America (I actually live at the bottom of the world in a small country called New Zealand AKA Hobbiton) so I was wondering what American think of other countries and their own. You see, if you didn't know, American doesn't have the best public image among the rest of the world, we kind of see you guys as that annoying big brother you don't really like but have to get along with as he has all the cool toys. So my question is what do American think of everyone else, what thoughts come to mind when you head people talk about France or the UK, Australia or even NZ? Also, what do you guys think about your own country?

P.s, if you are not American, it would be cool to hear how you feel about other countries from your standpoint as well.

I'm American, and yeah. I know we have possibly the worst public image in the world. We're often called spoiled, fat, dumb and stupid- but there's something that I almost never heard us called: 'Young'. We're (to my knowledge) one of the youngest- if not THE youngest 'real' first world power. Less then 400 years old. We're not stupid 'intentionally' as a country- there's a bunch of factors that are currently harming our country. (IE: We're spoiled- we've entered and dominated at a time where we can put ourselves in a position to never have to PHYSICALLY to war. Our 'mother' was literally the greatest and most powerful empire on Earth at the time and when 'she' attempted to take us back we basically told her to screw off. We're based on racism. We technically stole this country. etcetc..)

I personally blame Hitler and the rest of the dictators of the world (but mainly Hitler): They appeared at just the right moment in time to make us feel as if we were actually important, caused enough chaos to make us feel the need to jump in and we felt such a great victory that now we don't feel like the 'Annoying big brother that has all the cool toys' we feel like the 'Protective Policeman that has one heck of a long list of achievements and stays on top by making everything their own definition of safe'.
(Note: I'm not saying we're the only country in the world that has played a part in taking down Hitler and other negative rules like Mussolini, I'm just saying we're very conceited in our youth so we feel like we are.)

In addition, the first people here were slave-owning, white immigrants meaning we're a country based upon the back of slaves and racism mixed with a heavily twisted view of our heavily believed religion. (If you want to be really specific we're actually not the first people here but that's another story for another time...) That's a bad combination when it comes to behavior. We're very arrogant, conceited, moderately racist, patriarchal and backwards beyond anything.

Tl;dr: We're young and stupid, and we're basically the 'Kim Kardashian' of the first world. Our parents were rich and we got easy fame and now we're just fucking annoying.

SPECIAL NOTE: I'm not saying that as a conglomerate of people we're stupid. There are some really smart and intelligent human beings that live here. I'm saying that our idiots are current the ones in power. It's Idiocracy all over again!

My opinion on other countries as an 'American' is:

England/Britain/UK: You guys have hot guys. Like really hot guys. I respect that.

France: Here's a white flag bro. Wave it proudly! *Roflmaaaa*

Japan/China/Korea: Lolololol all your stuff is so kawaaaaiiii

Germany/Russia: I'm watching you *Points at her own eyes, then points at theirs'*

NOW my opinion as a human being.

England/Britain/Uk: You guys have hot guys. Like really hot guys. I respect that. Can I haz Hiddleston and Cumberbatch nao please? (Fangirl. Can't help it.)

France: I know you guys hate us- I hate us too. But you guys have some seriously fancy stuff over there. Thanks for the Statue btw.

Japan/China/Korea: I'm watching you. I know what you put in your baby food. *Points at her own eyes, then points at theirs'*

Germany/Russia:....Sup?
(I actually really don't feel any real way about Germany or Russia as an American. They don't feel like a heavy threat to me- I blame Hitler.)

Angelblaze:

I'm American, and yeah. I know we have possibly the worst public image in the world.

Far from it.

We're often called spoiled, fat, dumb and stupid- but there's something that I almost never heard us called: 'Young'. We're (to my knowledge) one of the youngest- if not THE youngest 'real' first world power.

Germany, Italy, Canada and Australia are all younger than the US, though I suppose some of those wouldn't be considered 'rel' world powers.

Edit: Also since you mentioned racism; the US is one of the least racist countries I know of.

interesting topic.

Afganistan: terrorists and Madmax like living
Greece: Statue of Zeus( corruption destroyed it)
Italy: CATHOLIC (vatican)
Romania: ( Haoi Bacu forest rules)
Sweden: (my heritage comes from here) I want to visit and live in the snow. (Viking Metal rules the land)
Finland: (Extreme Metal rules the land)
Norway: Trolls and troll hunters (Birthplace of Symphonic Metal)
England: Birthplace of Black Metal.
Israel: Warzone, Jews, and Melecash(israeli death metal)
China: Fuck you, no seriously fuck you and leave us alone you commie douche bags.
Australia: Ours sister nation down under. We need to have a spider chat, and I am down with that anytime.

America: My home country and safe haven, if you live in a suburban community with HOA, you are ruled by communism and if not then you are a redneck outsider. Yeah guess who lives longer. I love my country but I hate the assholes who think that the government needs to rule us, plus it violates out constitutional right

BTW: Republican here. Want a debate? Make another post, I am down. I challenge you:

PrimitiveJudge:

BTW: Republican here. Want a debate? Make another post, I am down. I challenge you:

I'll bite.

I think the current body of Congress is the worst body since the secessionists of the 1800's, and I blame the Tea Party's fanatical adherence to a no-tax pledge for it.

Your response?

carlsberg export:

I've always wonderd if the people that bash Americans, have they even been there? I bet most haven't.

this is the problem with our bloody media, they concentrate on every last scrap of extreme/ignorant thing possible, while all the normal people are just "mehhing" right on through. (Unfortunately our media in turn makes it seem like america is like that all the way around...while average folk just hide our heads and keep on going.)

I've seen multiple times on here (non-americans) claiming that americans learn in school growing up that "we are the shit" to sum it up, which I laughed at the first time, then saw it again..and again..and it just baffled me if that actually happened. If anything, the complete opposite happened in my school, history teachers always made sure we knew that we sucked when it cames to foreign affairs and media, and tried way to hard to play global police in the last half century.)

bleh ranting, moving on

OT: American, and while our country has tons of fucking problems, (you name it, we got it..somewhere.) i can't really see myself living anywhere else. I love the food, I love the diversity, and I love my location. now that's not to say i don't want to travel, because as soon as i get some money from a decent job in 4-5 years, you bet your sweet ass i'll be flying to canada and/or europe.

I've learned about plenty of other countries through classes, however I wouldn't say I have a modern hold on individual ones really, but I've never had a problem with many of them (just the government strongfisting the people usually) so i'll just say i like them all.

gmaverick019:

carlsberg export:

I've always wonderd if the people that bash Americans, have they even been there? I bet most haven't.

this is the problem with our bloody media, they concentrate on every last scrap of extreme/ignorant thing possible, while all the normal people are just "mehhing" right on through. (Unfortunately our media in turn makes it seem like america is like that all the way around...while average folk just hide our heads and keep on going.)

I've seen multiple times on here (non-americans) claiming that americans learn in school growing up that "we are the shit" to sum it up, which I laughed at the first time, then saw it again..and again..and it just baffled me if that actually happened. If anything, the complete opposite happened in my school, history teachers always made sure we knew that we sucked when it cames to foreign affairs and media, and tried way to hard to play global police in the last half century.)

bleh ranting, moving on

OT: American, and while our country has tons of fucking problems, (you name it, we got it..somewhere.) i can't really see myself living anywhere else. I love the food, I love the diversity, and I love my location. now that's not to say i don't want to travel, because as soon as i get some money from a decent job in 4-5 years, you bet your sweet ass i'll be flying to canada and/or europe.

I've learned about plenty of other countries through classes, however I wouldn't say I have a modern hold on individual ones really, but I've never had a problem with many of them (just the government strongfisting the people usually) so i'll just say i like them all.

i think its the same with all media, they only seem to want to broadcast negative things. i recall hearing or seeing on the news that a large percentage of americans cant find america on the map, to this day i dont, i cannot believe that is true. i swear it was a statistic someone (probably fox news those legends of trolling) just pulled out their arse for shock publicity.

carlsberg export:

i think its the same with all media, they only seem to want to broadcast negative things. i recall hearing or seeing on the news that a large percentage of americans cant find america on the map, to this day i dont, i cannot believe that is true. i swear it was a statistic someone (probably fox news those legends of trolling) just pulled out their arse for shock publicity.

if by some means that is actually true, i have no idea how people got through any bit of schooling..the average 6 year old could probably tell you where it is on the map/globe. (american 6 year old)

It's not like it's a tiny landmass surrounded my shit tons of other land mass look alikes...

also, in b4 I get yelled down for judging people's intelligence on trivial knowledge.

It's your own damn country (mind you, one that is flipping huge), it's not knowing the chemical make up of water or something else hard. (sarcasm on that last part obviously)

gmaverick019:

carlsberg export:

if by some means that is actually true, i have no idea how people got through any bit of schooling..the average 6 year old could probably tell you where it is on the map/globe. (american 6 year old)

It's not like it's a tiny landmass surrounded my shit tons of other land mass look alikes...

also, in b4 I get yelled down for judging people's intelligence on trivial knowledge.

It's your own damn country (mind you, one that is flipping huge), it's not knowing the chemical make up of water or something else hard. (sarcasm on that last part obviously)

well yeah thats why i dont think its true in the slightest.

As an American: I've been to europe a few times and I would much rather be there then where I am right now. The American education system is crap (at least at high school level) right now, the school baseball coach is my social studies teacher and another teacher pronounced guillotine like gil-o-teen. To be honest, I don't learn about other countries, unless its history in which every country is the evil oppressor and America is the plucky underdog. But, I can officially say that Canada is a pretty cool place, and not just because they put a maple leaf under their mcdonalds signs, they tend to be nice (unless in quebec, and then it's so-so), they have pretty good food, especially in quebec. I like America, my friends are not the fat stereotypes that are seen on TV and I really like some of the culture here. The only problem is the extremely vocal minority of psychos that give this country a pretty bad name.

EDIT: I would like to say that not all of the US education is bad, I go to a math and science center that is great with great teachers, but if you have a 37 student history class being taught by the baseball coach, something is wrong.

Faraja:

PrimitiveJudge:

I'll bite.

I think the current body of Congress is the worst body since the secessionists of the 1800's, and I blame the Tea Party's fanatical adherence to a no-tax pledge for it.

Your response?

The tea party represents traditional America. The laws and regulations added every year about guns, property, education, health ETC.. are a front to tyranny. We do not need a department of Education, we don't need a regulation on concealed firearms and most of all STOP telling us what to do . America thrived for a long time, had a depression and still lead the world. Yes I am hardcore Republican, but I am hoping we do fall of this Fiscal Cliff. I would bring both parties to reality about actually talking to the people and not blindly walking there own belief and forcing bullshit that most people do not want. Most people say Bush was a disaster. If it was not for Buch Obama would of never killed Osama. Obama need to stop using that as a weapon cause it is old and only half true. Tyranny would never happen in America because of the second amendment. but the liberals are slowing trying to make the second amendment obsolete.

Our current body of congress is a joke (I agree with you on that). It is powered by greed, wrath and pride. We need to be powered by science and truth. Fuck the bullshit Obama admit your wrong and man up. Stop blaming old people.

OT: got more to add to the topic but more in my language. The Language of Metal and the best of each county IMO.

Norway: Dimmu Borgir
Sweden: Dark Tranquility
Finland: Children of Bodom
England: Cradle of Filth
Israel: Melacesh
Iraq: Accrassacuda
Brazil: Sepltura
Greece: Septic Flesh or Elis
Italy: Graveworm
America: Dragonlord
Netherlands: Delain
Scotland: Alestorm
Tailand or Taiwan can't remember: ChthonIC (btw this band is fucking epic)

I could be at this for hours more but I am tired and sleepy. Good night fellowing humans, I shall depart now.

"what do americans think?" -The OP

I don't think, for I am an american. wherever I am, I must also eat the burger........

Shaidz:
I have been pondering this question for at least 5 minutes now and though it would make a good discussion. I am not American or live in America (I actually live at the bottom of the world in a small country called New Zealand AKA Hobbiton) so I was wondering what American think of other countries and their own. You see, if you didn't know, American doesn't have the best public image among the rest of the world, we kind of see you guys as that annoying big brother you don't really like but have to get along with as he has all the cool toys. So my question is what do American think of everyone else, what thoughts come to mind when you head people talk about France or the UK, Australia or even NZ? Also, what do you guys think about your own country?

P.s, if you are not American, it would be cool to hear how you feel about other countries from your standpoint as well.

Earlier this year, I had the great fortune of being able to go on vacation in New Zealand. I absolutely fell in love with the place. The people were friendly, kind and when something went wrong they were quite happy to provide whatever help they could. The LoTR movies might have been the impetus that got me to go there, but the nation's beauty stands all on its own.

I was in Australia at the tail end of that trip. I can't say that I found Melbourne or Sydney to my liking, but I'm not very happy in a large city setting. They were nice places to visit, but I was out of my comfort zone, I suppose. I would love to go back and see more of the country, perhaps travel through the more rural areas instead.

Briefly, I was in France about 20 years ago. There was a very strong, condescending attitude thrown at me wherever I went, just because I was an American. Basically, French exceptional-ism was pissed off at American exceptional-ism. It took me a few years to really get the irony of that.

I think a lot of the reputation we Americans have around the world is unjustified on a personal level. Most people I know are decent enough folks. If you were to come to my home area, you would find we are honest, hard-working, ordinary people. Sadly, the reputation we have earned through the actions of our government pursuing its perceived national interests . . . . .well, I really can't say THAT part is undeserved.

Who cares? Fuck other countries that aren't America. Right? Right!

I could spout the stereotypes we Americans have of other countries while ignoring the complicated reality.

So...

Canada = poutine
Mexico = spring break
France = surrender monkeys who steal our wommeniz
English = imperialistic assholes who we not so secretly emulate
China = The ruskies 2.0
Japan = why capitalism > communism
Iraniraq = wtf gimme oil my humvee needs gas
America = Fuck yeah!

As an American, I'm fully aware of my country's image to the rest of the world. However, I don't lose any sleep over it because what Europeans or anyone else thinks of my country doesn't affect my life hardly at all. I say hardly because when I was deployed to Iraq, I talked to some British soldiers and they were rude and just plain assholes to me and my friends so now they just ruined MY feelings for their country because they are they only Brits I have talked to and now I subconsciously think all Brits are rude assholes. I treated everyone with respect when I am outside the US because I know that I may be the only American they ever meet and I don't want to make my country look bad.

The US likes to step in other peoples business because we have a duty as a superpower to help others in need. Iraq was being run into the ground by Saddam Hussein so we took his ass out and stayed there to help them rebuild their country after Saddam's government fell. We want to help others because we have the ability to.

We are arrogant because we can back it up. America can (and has before) shut our borders from the rest of the world and be perfectly fine on our own. The rest of the world watches us critically and criticizes us constantly because we are basically the top dog in the world.

PS: Will edit as necessary, I feel lazy right now.

Edit: Wow, my post sounds douchey. My bad. Still keeping it though.

DrMegaNutz:
America can (and has before) shut our borders from the rest of the world and be perfectly fine on our own. The rest of the world watches us critically and criticizes us constantly because we are basically the top dog in the world.

The US can't shut its borders and only pay attention to its own affairs anymore, globalisation means that everyone affects everywhere else.

That's one of the reasons why everyone keep complaining about everyone else, the results of an election on another continent can have a big impact on your nation's economy.

Faraja:

PrimitiveJudge:

I'll bite.

Your response?

My response is that we are not replicating Monarchy. "more taxes" in general mean someone cannot control themselves and it is the people fault by and blaming a innocent party. Fuck that. The democrats need to man up and claim they are wrong for a brief chance in history. The republicans mader our nation better, the Democrats want Absolute Government. Want proof? look at the BS Obama is placing.

Going to talk about my basic instincts of hate and love, mostly irrational backed up by rational thoughts.

I hate United States - justification not needed, when I'll buy a car I won't buy an usanian brand for sure. (yes I now I'm using a pc with Microsoft to write this). And US has black widows and killer bee's.
I also hate Germany and France - Germany specially because how brainwashed they are about the European crisis. I hate Merkel, but I get that for germans she might be a good leader defending germany interests, but I never met one german who sympathized with Portuguese and Greek people. Germany and France are also the "leaders" of Europe and I as a person with rebel tendencies tend to hate leaders. UK too, but UK, maybe because it doesn't have Euro is a different case.
Got neutral opinion on Italy, historically I really really hate Spain (country I most hate), but nowadays I have to have more solidarity with them and the people fight against unemployment.
Hate Indonesia due to what they did to Timor.

I feel like Japan old people should all die, they are what's keeping Japan awesomeness behind, I just have to wait some years and hope Japan young population aren't educated to become as conservative as they're old citizens.

I fear ex soviet states, saw a video where three Ukranians teens killed a man just for pleasure, then Russia is scary as hell, just look at car crash videos from there, also, according to people who've been there the mafia is present everywhere. I've been to Czech Republik and despite liking the country, the public workers there were the most unsympathethic I have ever seen, they stole from us twice and the police was useless, they are kinda close and don't like foreigners (thought I do get it's hard to like foreigners around the age of 18, an age linked with problems)

Fear Australia, but for different reasons, first I don't like heat, but most important thing I can't stand insects. I know probabilities of dying by a spider are low, but seeing them is enough to scare me.

Fucking love Iceland, never been there (but was about to), but everything seems great there.
Also have excellent views on Scandinavian countries, specially Sweden since my uncle emigrated to there to flee from Colonial war.
Love Canada and would love to try and work there, I love the cold, know English and my French is getting better by the day, too bad they have Brown Recluses.
Love Switzerland, at least they keep it to themselves.
Neutral on Netherlands, some things I like, like the fact that bicycles are so common that they are everywhere, but I fear they are closely influenced by Germany. Need to go there again, it's 30 minutes from here.
I live in Belgium and love the country, but my cousin says a lot of bad things about the Dutch speaking region of Belgium, because they say that people from Wallonie (french speaking region) are lazy.
I am from Portugal and can't say I hate the country, but one of the forums I'm at (the biggest national forum) has terrible users, they all talk badly about the common Portuguese, but no one ever assumed to be one. Oh yeah, Portuguese food is awesome. http://www.the-top-tens.com/items/portugal-49694.asp

thaluikhain:

DrMegaNutz:
America can (and has before) shut our borders from the rest of the world and be perfectly fine on our own. The rest of the world watches us critically and criticizes us constantly because we are basically the top dog in the world.

The US can't shut its borders and only pay attention to its own affairs anymore, globalisation means that everyone affects everywhere else.

That's one of the reasons why everyone keep complaining about everyone else, the results of an election on another continent can have a big impact on your nation's economy.

It's the reason I think Romney should never be elected even if it had won. Simply because even if it had majority in US, in everywhere else in the World Obama is preferred to him. And whether we like it or not, US has strong influence in the World.

English guy from the north of country here and honestly in opinion to my own country I'd say that things drastically need to improve. Our government is getting painfully little done and what it is doing is not exactly helpful. The faster we are out of the EU the better if you ask me. Worst of all is the nation's press being so rampantly hypocritical and just wrong in so many ways. The quicker it is regulated the better in my opinion.

In terms of the rest of the world? Well at 16 I haven't exactly been to many places but I can give my opinion on the ones I have gone to.

Netherlands - Amazing place with some of the kindest people I've ever met. Cant see what everyone's issues with it are and with the exception of its insanely confusing road system ( you guys have a turnoff every couple of seconds!) I enjoyed my time there. Especially in Delft which I would happily go back to given the chance.

Wales - Like England but with more fields.

France - Lovely place , really rude people. Not to generalize but I didn't meet a single person there i'd consider friendly

Australia - Wonderful scenery and though beaches arent really my thing I can see why people love it. I cant really complain since half of my family live there and I'm eager to go back , if only to see them again.

As for countries I haven't visited? Well America seems like a nice place in the hands of the wrong people most of the time and you sure do have a thing for enforcing the laws you believe in on the world ( Looking at you American copyright piracy court cases).I haven't been there but from a friend who lives there I'm told that the UAE is a nice place to live if you can get past their mild issues with women. Germany seems like a nice place overall.

In short : The world seems nice enough , I should visit it some day

France- They're - as Eddie Izzard put it - "fucking French." What else do you want? They seem more into baguettes and coffee than causing trouble. I don't have any beef with the French, but they don't go out of their way to improve their image either.

England- Probably who the United States should be watching closely. Not because wars will break out, but because the UK was *the* world power prior to us, and how the UK handles their decline will teach us how to handle our decline. I've no beef with England/Ireland/Scotland/Wales/etc. I like the accents and the redheads. Thumbs up.

Canada- Cool people. Sort of like the silent backbone of N. America. It's a great thing we're good friends with Canada, otherwise having such a large and open border would be an absolute nightmare.

Mexico- Could be a powerful ally, but they really need to get their shit together first. There's too much chaos, too much violence to be considered on-par with our neighbor to the North. If I had control, I'd put the U.S. Army on a gang-leader manhunt until every one of the fuckers was dead and the gangs turned tail. Would certainly be a more appropriate target than Iraq.

China- Emerging power on wobbly legs. China will be the premier consumer country in my lifetime. However, their technology is almost completely stolen (no innovation), their human Rights record is shit, the corruption in the government is magnificent in a horrifying way, and if they push too hard the rest of the world (aka - everybody who buys the cheap stuff they produce to fuel their middle class) will simply push back harder. China is a huge power, but it can't compete with both the Americas and Europe/UK against it - either on a military or economic level.

Germany- I respect and admire Germany (and a lot of the Scandinavian countries) a lot. They're big enough to have a good economy, but their governments aren't so overly bloated with rethorical arguments and ideology that they're nimble enough to take advantage of changing science. I admire the green energy initiatives (the United States is fucked hard when the oil runs out in 50-75 years; almost as much as China), and I admire the way there's a collective identity among the varying peoples. It makes coming to a socially acceptable solution much easier.

Ireland- I don't know what Ireland exports besides liquor, and I don't know what the Irish do for work. It may be an absolutely gorgeous locale in some places, and the ladies with the Irish accent can cause a wee rise in my shillelagh... but damned else if I know. Nothing against them, I just don't see where they fit in the global economy besides the main source of gorgeous redheads.

Japan- Mixed. I think they believe they're more of a player than they are. No doubt a lot of innovation comes from Japan, which I admire greatly - but at the same time from what I've heard they're pretty much isolationist in non-economic dealings. A foreigner is always a foreigner, even if the foreigner can speak fluent Japanese and has lived there for decades.

South Korea- A silent gem. I think South Korea is a nice place and have little bad to say about them that can't be said of other places. Dated a South Korean gal once. Wonderful person.

Libya- Not touching that shit with a 10' pole. I don't know enough.

Vietnam- I think they're recovering from our bumblefucking nicely. They didn't need us waging a war for them, and they've proven it.

North Korea- China's marionette. That's about it. It's not a threat to the United States or Europe; they don't have the weapons. Their economy is mediocre. They're into posture, less substance.

America- My home. It takes a lot of shit from foreigners because we're the biggest bully/threat on the field. Largest economy and largest army makes the US an undeniable force to be reckoned with. However, it also makes us a scapegoat for everything anybody wants to use us for. We don't have moral superiority, Iraq was a clusterfuck and a mistake, and what I've found is that a lot of Europeans fall into the mistake of making Americans a giant stereotype.

And if there's one reason why I think the United States is worthy of admiration is because you CAN'T stereotype us all. I knew a Belgian woman who told me once how large Belgium was. I told her it that the time it took her to drive the breadth of Belgium would be roughly the time it took to travel through 3 western States. I saw Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear drive a Jaguar across England in a single night. It took me 12 hours to drive from northern Utah to southern California to visit my brother (look it up), and it would take me DAYS to drive from California to New York. I know a lot of foreigners don't get exactly how mind-bendingly large that is for a SINGLE country that's decently populated (Canada is 2nd in size to Russia, but both have huge swathes of land where it's less than 1 person per square mile).

Americans get a lot of shit for not speaking other languages... but why do Germans know 4-5 languages? Because it's easy to talk to people from other countries. The United States borders two other countries: Canada (English/Quebecois) and Mexico (Spanish). That's it. Three languages spread across an entire continent. Where else do you find that? Australia is the only other one I can think of.

I also think, because culture is one of America's primary exports, is that it's an easy target for ideological criticisms. Yes, American news loves to plaster stories about racism and intentionally inflammatory headlines all over their publications - but I doubt you'll find a more accepting citizenry once people have gotten to know you.

Our biggest flaw, by far, is our complacency. We're on top, and too many Americans think we always will be. Not explicitly, but they just don't see a future in which the United States isn't the major player. This view has been overwhelmingly monopolized by Conservatives and the Republican party, and is one of the reasons why Republicans are pretty much an international joke. Instead of pushing development towards renewable energy resources and sustainability practices, a lot of the populace simply wants to double-down on finite resources (Natural Gas being a big one right now) not realizing there's a huge danger in chaining stop-gap solutions until we simply find ourselves with our pants down.

The same type of argument could be made for a lot of the ideology present in America's current social discourse. You have a set of people who are willing to make changes - to adopt greener energy, less reliance on cars, more sustainable practices - and the very vocal reaction to that movement, insisting on making/keeping American "great again". Personally I think it's a bad idea to try to go back to a time that never existed, but I can understand the reasons why the reaction has occurred and produced such ridiculous quotes like "Evolution was made by the Devil" and "This campaign will not be dictated by facts."

I just hope that enough of us remain agile and nimble enough in our beliefs and practices to adapt when the oil runs out, when natural gas prices skyrocket, and energy prices from conventional sources go through the roof. Particularly if China still forges headlong into their goals.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked