Any given day on Fox News Website

I am just a little left of the center on most political maps and tests and I live in the south east. What I'd like to say is that I've been checking fox news website almost everyday as well as CNN just to see what the "other side" of the argument is. And it seems like everyday somewhere on their website there is a story about a horrible tragedy that happened in the state of California (a mostly liberal state) and I'm not kidding, every, single, day. I've been looking for about a week or two now and it happens without fail. Usually the story is somewhere on the U.S section, if the story doesn't say where it happened in the headline click on it and you'll find that the tragedy of the day occurred somewhere in California.

Is this a subtle form of brainwashing? A scare tactic to convince conservatives and/or southerners that California is some lawless dystopia where disaster reigns constantly? Or is it just a coincidence?

What say you?

Hmmm, i just opened the FOX News website, went on the US section and didn't even see a single topic about California in any of the subsections.
Are you from California by chance? if so many web sites do a GIS look up on your IP address and redirect you to a "local" edition.

He lives in the South East, which means Myrtle Beach :P

Of course, FOX News is notorious for deleting stories when they get caught doing something. Who knows, maybe they have News Babes lurk the Escapist and they saw this?

Verbatim:
Hmmm, i just opened the FOX News website, went on the US section and didn't even see a single topic about California in any of the subsections.
Are you from California by chance? if so many web sites do a GIS look up on your IP address and redirect you to a "local" edition.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26/couple-dead-teen-missing-after-family-swept-to-sea-trying-to-save-dog/

You didn't look very hard did you? lol

EDIT: I am from Georgia

California has the largest population of any state by a considerable amount. It will have a far greater number of events (Of everything, not just crime) simply because of that. There is no grand conspiracy against the state of California.

Haven't you seen half of every movie and TV show set in the US? All the weird stuff seems to happen there.

california is the new gate to hell since Iceland closed up and jesus moved to america.
At least thats what baptists claim.

Friendly Lich:

Verbatim:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26/couple-dead-teen-missing-after-family-swept-to-sea-trying-to-save-dog/

You didn't look very hard did you? lol

EDIT: I am from Georgia

Similar things happened in Eqypt years ago: http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-01.html
Clearly those animals plotted their owners deaths.

Friendly Lich:
I am just a little left of the center on most political maps

Just out of plain old curiosity, is that according to USA political map or the Rest Of The World political map, where the zero-point is on actual centre instead of far into the right.

You should check liberal sites like MSNBC and see if they over report on tragedies in Texas or other red states. It would be kind of interesting, as I have no doubt that both sides like to paint others as crazies.

I noticed something similar on the BBC website. Every time I look it seems like they have some story about some wacky American doing something crazy. I don't really blame them. You have to have some comic relief in your news cycle, and the US is full of it.

Kopikatsu:
California has the largest population of any state by a considerable amount. It will have a far greater number of events (Of everything, not just crime) simply because of that. There is no grand conspiracy against the state of California.

The thing is there are 50 other states besides California, yet a majority of the tragic stories take place in California. The amount of bad stories from a single state outweigh the amount from 50 other states! its skewed.

Friendly Lich:

Kopikatsu:

The thing is there are 50 other states besides California, yet a majority of the tragic stories take place in California. The amount of bad stories from a single state outweigh the amount from 50 other states! its skewed.

Because more bad things happen in California because there are MANY more people in California than elsewhere.

If you have one group with 100 people in it, and another group with 4 people in it...which group do you expect to have more 'tragic incidents'? California doesn't have the majority of the US's population when just looking at the numbers, but the high population density kind of nulls that 'advantage'.

Besides, Californians are pretty fucked up. I lived there for six years (Mostly in Studio City), and the number of crazies that they just let walk around...

Edit: Come of think of it, California is the place where people go to 'make it'. So there's probably a disproportionally large number of people who are desperate/unstable there, too. Also drug addicts. Lots of drug addicts.

Strazdas:
california is the new gate to hell since Iceland closed up and jesus moved to america.

Wait, why was the gate to hell in Iceland of all places? I would have guessed somewhere warmer, what with the flames and all.

SonicWaffle:

Strazdas:

Wait, why was the gate to hell in Iceland of all places? I would have guessed somewhere warmer, what with the flames and all.

They have lots of volcanoes, IIRC, one of them (Hekla) is a gateway to hell. Dunno if any of the others are.

thaluikhain:

SonicWaffle:

Strazdas:

They have lots of volcanoes, IIRC, one of them (Hekla) is a gateway to hell. Dunno if any of the others are.

That's weird. You'd think with mythology being what it is, either all volcanoes are hellgates or none are. Not just one random volcano in Iceland. What's so special about it that people were like "Yeah, we have loads of them, but that one is evil. Shifty as fuck. Probably an entrance to hell or something"?

thaluikhain:

SonicWaffle:

Strazdas:

well im not educated much in baptiost mythos, but from what i know its cause they got an ACTIVE volcano and are "on the brink of the earth". and its not that cold in iceland

Kopikatsu:
Because more bad things happen in California because there are MANY more people in California than elsewhere.

If you have one group with 100 people in it, and another group with 4 people in it...which group do you expect to have more 'tragic incidents'? California doesn't have the majority of the US's population when just looking at the numbers, but the high population density kind of nulls that 'advantage'.

Besides, Californians are pretty fucked up. I lived there for six years (Mostly in Studio City), and the number of crazies that they just let walk around...

Edit: Come of think of it, California is the place where people go to 'make it'. So there's probably a disproportionally large number of people who are desperate/unstable there, too. Also drug addicts. Lots of drug addicts.

Thing is, you shouldn't make the comparison of 'California vs individual other states'. It's 'California vs all other states at once'. When, there's a story about a single state that doesn't hold most of the country's population in it every single day on the FOX website, something is up. As there are most likely plenty of other bad stories to pick from, from all across the country. Yet they specifically pick that one state to show up day after day on their site?

I doubt it's a conspiracy. More just FOX being biased as hell, and liking reporting bad things happening in liberal states more than in conservative or even center ones. (Center for America, that is.)

Another one. However they don't happen every single day without fail. More like every two days at maximum, sometimes every other day and some times three days in a row.

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/11/30/california-storm-brings-heavy-rainfall-flood-warnings-motorists-face-messy/

Weird. Keep doing it OP. Lets see a graph of the frequency vs MSNBC and CNN.

The storms thing is being pretty broadly covered, though. Kind of a serious deal.

Maybe it's because California is a terrible place, devoid of human decency and possessing an accent that maddens its neighbors.

Or they just understand that talking about California brings in a lot of hits for a large number of reasons, first being its population.

Revnak:
Maybe it's because California is a terrible place, devoid of human decency and possessing an accent that maddens its neighbors.

100% Correct added to the fact Californis is a very populous state...

Why is that unusual? I assume that news worthy things happen in California on a regular basis. If you look on the right side of the US section the site breaks down the US into regions. California has a majority of the population of the West. Having a story on the front page is not strange at all. It is the same on CNN.

If you just look at the front page of the US section (ignoring the region section) you see stories from Alaska, Arizona, Oregon, Wyoming, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Florida. Seems like a fairly even distribution to me.

I'm expanding this a little bit. Front page is a story in Indiana which was a liberal state in the 2012 election. Also Florida was won by Obama. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/04/parents-missing-lauren-spierer-say-were-tonewalled-by-daughter-friends/

California: http://video.foxnews.com/v/2010842085001/

farson135:
Why is that unusual? I assume that news worthy things happen in California on a regular basis. If you look on the right side of the US section the site breaks down the US into regions. California has a majority of the population of the West. Having a story on the front page is not strange at all. It is the same on CNN.

If you just look at the front page of the US section (ignoring the region section) you see stories from Alaska, Arizona, Oregon, Wyoming, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Florida. Seems like a fairly even distribution to me.

True it seems to be evening out a bit.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked