How many Deists?
Passive Deism
55.6% (5)
55.6% (5)
Somewhereinbetweenism Deism
44.4% (4)
44.4% (4)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: How many Deists are on the Escapist?

I am just curious. In my day to day life I have never in person met a fellow Deist but I am still curious as to how many are there on the Escapist?

Since I do not know the specific names of a Deist that believes that God to a certain degree intervenes or outright does not I will call the former Active Deism, the latter Passive Deism, and a final option of Somewhereinbetweenism Deism.

P.S. I used the searchbar to check for any similar threads and it appears the last was more than a year ago.

Do you mean a theist? Or a deist specifically? Because I find it hard to believe you have never met a theist at all. But a deist, depending on their personal definition, could be hard to find.

Jacco:
Do you mean a theist? Or a deist specifically? Because I find it hard to believe you have never met a theist at all. But a deist, depending on their personal definition, could be hard to find.

By Deist I mean someone who follows the belief system of Deism.

(skip 35 seconds)

If you look on this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.392748-Poll-Which-of-the-following-are-you
Which I made a little while ago, I count 15 Deists.
I suppose your poll is more specific for deism.

Arakasi:
If you look on this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.392748-Poll-Which-of-the-following-are-you
Which I made a little while ago, I count 15 Deists.
I suppose your poll is more specific for deism.

Damn! Well, duplicate threads are unfortunately bound to happen and this time I am the one to bear the burden of blame. However I would not call it a poll so much as a tally. ^^;

While he'd probably let you know himself, off the top of my head I remember that UltraTwinkie said he was a Deist. Hope I'm not misrepresenting him now.

Saulkar:

Jacco:

By Deist I mean someone who follows the belief system of Deism.

Ah, yes. I know what Deism is. I find that others use it interchangeably with theism though so i was just making sure I knew what you were really referring to. I consider myself a kind of deist-- though more agnostic than anything. I think there probably is a god but that he doesn't exist in the way most people think of him and certainly not in the way the holy books describe.

Skeleon:
While he'd probably let you know himself, off the top of my head I remember that UltraTwinkie said he was a Deist. Hope I'm not misrepresenting him now.

No, you're correct. I am a Deist, and have never met anyone else that is Deistic.

Saulkar:
I am just curious. In my day to day life I have never in person met a fellow Deist but I am still curious as to how many are there on the Escapist?

I'm in an odd grey area. I'm call it agnostic deism.

I don't know what might exist out there, whether something greater than what we perceive is going on, but if there is something then it sure as shit isn't what mainstream religion tells us it is. Maybe a God created the universe, I don't know, but if he did then he clearly doesn't have anything to do with running the show.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked