I just want to say this to a couple users in this forum.

To prominent users like Skeleon I want to thank you for almost always being polite, logical, level headed, and arguing your points without resorting to insults. This community needs posters like that even If I don't agree with them 100% of the time.

I agree Skeleon is pretty awesome, but wouldn't this be better said in a PM?

What are we discussing here?

Yeah, Skeleon and a few others are pretty decent guys. This thread still doesn't have much discussion value though. I'll thank the too though. They deserve it.

Edit- You know what, scratch that. It's not just Skeleon and a few others. It's most others. The truth is that most of the people here are rather decent. Sure, there are a few posters I can't stand (though to be fair, I am certain there are a few posters who cannot stand me) but I think most posters here are pretty even-tempered and reasonable. The truth is that despite our reputation, we're probably the least ragey of the communities on this forum. Take just about any thread from here and put it in Off Topic and you've got a firestorm on your hands. Here it tends to be surprising if the thread goes past a couple pages. Sure, this place is a poster graveyard, but that's more due to the subject matter than the people here. I think that honestly we may all deserve a pat on the back (except you guys. You know who you are).

Erm, thanks, folks? I'm not even that active anymore these days...
Also, compliments right back at you guys, it's because of the folks around here (including the ones I disagree with, mirroring the OP's sentiment) that I keep coming back.

You know, a part of me automatically thought that this was an user leaving in a spiral of rage and that this thread would be a last litany of profanities directed to the perceived enemies of the said user.

That's pretty sad.
Also uh, good show and all that. Keep the standards up. Long live the king.

Yeah, Skeleon is pretty much what I consider to be the patron-saint of the R&P section by now, so I second any praise that was already passed around here. There are however also a few others that aren't mentioned that often, yet always manage to keep the section sane and away from the usual mud-pits of political and religious flaming. Those are the people that make me stay in this section and provide the insight that I come to expect from this part of the forum. You know who you are.

On another note, it is good to see a meta-thread that actually highlights the positive aspects around here and doesn't engage in complaining about the moderation or predicting the impeding doom of this forum, although it's discussion value is...err...rather limited.....

Skeleon? You people can actually stand that guy? I find his posts to be so full of utter pretentiousness it gives me a headache. Pull the wool from over your eyes!

But seriously. There's hardly ever anyone in threads like these that are being contrary to the majority. That gets boring fast. I'm going to miss people like Danyal and Xanatos(spelling) because they could get under people's skin. And that my friends, does prove to be entertaining.

It is a sad day when users are complimented more on pleasantry than substance.

Not that a guy like Skeleon lack the latter, not in the least. But it's only 2/5 things being praised here.

Imperator_DK:
It is a sad day when users are complimented more on pleasantry than substance.

Not that a guy like Skeleon lack the latter, not in the least. But it's only 2/5 things being praised here.

We're an Internet forum that ultimately exists for fun. Sometimes it is a good idea to apreciate the nice guys.

Let's all hear it for Skeleon!

But yeah, there are a decent amount of people who are polite here, which is nice.

Shadowstar38:
Skeleon? You people can actually stand that guy? I find his posts to be so full of utter pretentiousness it gives me a headache. Pull the wool from over your eyes!

But seriously. There's hardly ever anyone in threads like these that are being contrary to the majority. That gets boring fast. I'm going to miss people like Danyal and Xanatos(spelling) because they could get under people's skin. And that my friends, does prove to be entertaining.

The truth is there was little that was fun about those guys. So many voter fraud threads always adding up to nothing. So many anti-Islam threads adding up to nothing. It was actually quite boring if you ask me.

Revnak:

Shadowstar38:

The truth is there was little that was fun about those guys. So many voter fraud threads always adding up to nothing. So many anti-Islam threads adding up to nothing. It was actually quite boring if you ask me.

although more than likely we will have a new one on our hands. all it takes is time.and like them they will be banned eventually. but I'm sorta with you that it was kinda boring that they never went any where. Yeah Hooplah for Skelien and all that.

Revnak:

Shadowstar38:

Adversity doesn't necessarily mean that there's going to be good discussions. Pro Family Lover was... colorful, but I'm not sad to see the back of her.

Hmm, the question is can people still have fun in a sub forum specifically designed to beat your opponent to death with the blunt force of your argument?

Well people will come out eventually. R&P is sort of the Blood wars of forums.

EDIT: Of course, that might just be me.

Frission:
You know, a part of me automatically thought that this was an user leaving in a spiral of rage and that this thread would be a last litany of profanities directed to the perceived enemies of the said user.

That's pretty sad.
Also uh, good show and all that. Keep the standards up. Long live the king.

Ha, I thought the same thing. I assumed bans would be imminent.

And even though that was my gut reaction, I think people keep things on the level for the most part. Even when people here are being intentionally caustic, the level of discussion is waaaaaaaay better than most other places on the internet...

I mean, just look at the comments section on any youtube video, but especially ones dealing with R&P.

Aye, hes a good example for the forum. However from what I've seen almost everyone around here is typically quite polite and many cuts above your typical forum. However I agree with some of the other sentiment that politeness is good and all, but sometimes you gotta have a thread with teeth. Once in awhile I think people should get mad, discussions should get heated, and it should be a battle to the death by way of logical argument.

Chromatic Aberration:
Yeah, Skeleon is pretty much what I consider to be the patron-saint of the R&P section by now

No, no, that's evilthecat. For me, anyway. If I had the man's address I'd send him a cake and a bottle of whiskey, he's in there on all the threads that most make me furious, saying everything I wanted to say a lot better and with a lot more academic authority.

But I'll give you Skeleton on anything physical science related.

Revnak:

Don't forget all the bestiality threads. At least they managed to teach the collective population of R&P how to *spell* "bestiality". Beyond that, I don't miss them.

Shadowstar38:

I think a debate works best when you can say "that's a good idea, but what about X?"

Yes debates between polar opposites is sometimes fun to watch but as a participant it's usually extremely frustrating. A debate works when you can say "I believe in X, Y & Z" and people can comment on the merits and faults of your idea, not just dismiss them out of hand.

For example I have a thread going on about letting experts control policy specifics, nobody has said that it's a god awful idea, they have simply pointed out problems with the way it would work IRL.

Going against the grain can be fun to watch but it usually results in name-calling and mud-slinging - not very productive. Because we all (usually) agree on broad ideals we can get down to the nitty gritty as it were and actually talk about the specifics rather than argue about broad ideas that lead nowhere.

Captcha: Step Back: Indeed captcha, indeed.

Okay, I'm late to the party; are Danyal and Xanatos gone/banned or something. Fill me in (even though this isn't a gossip forum).

ElectroJosh:
Okay, I'm late to the party; are Danyal and Xanatos gone/banned or something. Fill me in (even though this isn't a gossip forum).

No idea about Xanatos, but I think Danyal got suspended for the "Muslims rape crossdresser" thread.

Polarity27:
Don't forget all the bestiality threads. At least they managed to teach the collective population of R&P how to *spell* "bestiality". Beyond that, I don't miss them.

We had animal sex threads and nobody told me?!

God damn it, guys. You're supposed to page me when this happens :-(

ElectroJosh:

SonicWaffle:

No idea about Xanatos, but I think Danyal got suspended for the "Muslims rape crossdresser" thread.

He was suspended for that thread, then banned due to his behavior on the moderation team group chat. Unfortunately he was so busy 'specifying' that the youths were Muslims, that he didn't realize that there was not only no evidence for that but no need to do it even if they were, because the university did not make the statement he accused it of making.

Danyal in mod chat:
What about the fact that even my title (University mentions 'certain groups') becomes incomprehensible (who are those 'certain groups'?!) if I don't call the Islamic rapists 'Muslims'?

"No it doesn't, Danyal, because the group the rapists belonged to doesn't matter"

"But it has to matter or else this story doesn't make sense."

It sadly revealed just how deep his anti-religious and specifically anti-Islam sentiment ran.

Danny Ocean:
It sadly revealed just how deep his anti-religious and specifically anti-Islam sentiment ran.

He was anti-religion? Perhaps I'm confusing him with someone else, because I was under the impression his hate-boner for Islam was something to do with his love of fundamentalist Christianity.

If he was just an anti-theist atheist, that's even more depressing. With enough people like that, the non-believer version of a guy like Fred Phelps, whatever high ground atheists supposedly have disappears pretty damn fast.

SonicWaffle:

Danny Ocean:

He was anti-religion? Perhaps I'm confusing him with someone else, because I was under the impression his hate-boner for Islam was something to do with his love of fundamentalist Christianity.

If he was just an anti-theist atheist, that's even more depressing. With enough people like that, the non-believer version of a guy like Fred Phelps, whatever high ground atheists supposedly have disappears pretty damn fast.

I think he admitted to fancying some eastern religion or something. Nothing too mainstream obviously. He also worshipped Ayn Rand.

Revnak:

SonicWaffle:

Danny Ocean:

I think he admitted to fancying some eastern religion or something. Nothing too mainstream obviously. He also worshipped Ayn Rand.

How do you worship a "philosopher" like Ayn Rand? I mean I wrote a whole diatribe on it, but it still boggles the mind. Oh well.

SonicWaffle:

Danny Ocean:

Hey, Hey, Hey! I don't say most of the Christians are like the WBC! (If I ever insinuated that, I apologize). Please have the common courtesy to not do the same.

Can't we just admit that he was weird and leave it to that?

Oops, cocked up the quoting, ignore

Frission:

SonicWaffle:

Danny Ocean:

Hey, Hey, Hey! I don't say most of the Christians are like the WBC! (If I ever insinuated that, I apologize). Please have the common courtesy to not do the same.

Can't we just admit that he was weird and leave it to that?

Sorry, but what? I never said anything of the sort.

SonicWaffle:

I concur. However I forgive you for I am a magnanimous god.

tbth i don't like the vast majority of bans that have taken place since the strikes system came into place and even less so since the mods decided R&P needed "special attention" and as for Danyal i don't feel comfortable having a thread discussing people in this manner when they cannot answer for themselves.

i liked Danyal (most of the time).

freaky on some issues but then that charge could be levelled at a great many by others...if i had my way even powder would still be around...although admittedly that would mostly be for the entertainment value...

so we had a right wing Dutch guy who perhaps loved animals to much, didn't like Muslims, and was seriously big on "The Singularity"...and now he's gone.

one more actually interesting character and set of opinions and thoughts removed and one more step towards the banality of near pure US right/left politics discussed by high school debating majors obsessed with classical "logic" and rigid debate structure.

i'm sure some people think that's an improvement...

however hiding "aberrant" or difficult to deal opinions does nothing to challenge them or you.
(ultimately imo this is why real democracies shouldn't ban certain "aberrant" political parties)

but ofc when its all said and done this is a private forum and website...dependant on reputation and traffic volume for its business viability...R&P here used to have a reputation that spread beyond it borders and that actually drew people to the site...i know this because, for one thing, i'm one of them...i'm glad some of you seem to think the supposedly better regulated debate and accumulative banning over time of prolific, notable and challenging posters here is actually enhancing that...

Frission:

SonicWaffle:

I concur. However I forgive you for I am a magnanimous god.

I have no idea who that is or what his significance is, but I always welcome forgiveness!

Shock and Awe:
Aye, hes a good example for the forum. However from what I've seen almost everyone around here is typically quite polite and many cuts above your typical forum. However I agree with some of the other sentiment that politeness is good and all, but sometimes you gotta have a thread with teeth. Once in awhile I think people should get mad, discussions should get heated, and it should be a battle to the death by way of logical argument.

Well that's the tricky part, isn't it? Passion can very well enhance arguments, but without proper control it runs a strong risk of doing the exact opposite. At its worst, it can result in the speaker being so dead-set in their beliefs that they villify people with contrary opinions, as most famously demonstrated in arguments regarding religion (not all of them, mind you, though the topic is somewhat infamous for it), as any number of people can attest to (particularly with regards to what role - if any - religion has on moral upbringing). By the time people actually start getting mad their arguments risk degrading into a shouting match.

Controversy isn't bad but ad-hominem isn't good. I'm not arguing against talking about touchy subjects but we can really do without name calling and the insults.

Sleekit:
tbth i don't like the vast majority of bans that have taken place since the strikes system came into place and even less so since the mods decided R&P needed "special attention" and as for Danyal i don't feel comfortable having a thread discussing people in this manner when they cannot answer for themselves.

freaky on some issues but then that charge could be levelled at a great many by others...if i had my way even powder would still be around...although admittedly that would mostly be for the entertainment value...

so we had a right wing Dutch guy who perhaps loved animals to much, didn't like Muslims, and was seriously big on "The Singularity"...and now he's gone.

one more actually interesting character and set of opinions and thoughts removed and one more step towards the banality of near pure US right/left politics discussed by high school debating majors obsessed with classical "logic" and rigid debate structure.

however hiding "aberrant" or difficult to deal opinions does nothing to challenge them or you.
(ultimately imo this is why real democracies shouldn't ban certain "aberrant" political parties)

but ofc when its all said and done this is a private forum and website...dependant on reputation and traffic volume for its business viability...R&P here used to have a reputation that spread beyond it borders and that actually drew people to the site...i know this because, for one thing, i'm one of them...i'm glad some of you seem to think the supposedly better regulated debate and accumulative banning over time of prolific, notable and challenging posters here is actually enhancing that...

Let me just say: I don't know if it is because I haven't been on R&P lately or if it is because arbane is gone, but god do I miss that lovely magenta text.

Yeah, shoutout to Skeleon for being a good poster and one I knew of since I started lurking.

I do miss all the old posters that we have lost over the year.

Lilani
Seekster
arbane
Donuthole
Mortai whenever he visited

Ahhh. Good times...

Oh and Danyal. Here is a video representation of how he turned out in his last days here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqrqaPThCmI

Sleekit:

Agreed. I would say a decent number of the people banned in the last year were banned because their opinion got on the nerves of a single person who would than report everything they posted and eventually moderators would find an excuse somewhere.

Matters were made a lot worst with the tightening of moderation in the last 6 months. People had learnt where the line was and straddled that line. Many got caught out when that line was suddenly changed. More were caught out in the resulting confusion of what you could or could not post.

Danyal being banned is a perfect example. If his topic was about Christians bombing an abortion clinic or Evangelicals bashing a gay man no one would have batted an eyelid. Post about something that a moderator lacks knowledge in and it is suddenly the job of the poster to explain everything that we have gone over many times before on the board. If someone wants it explained because they do not know then they can ask, as is the custom of 'Citation Please'.

As long as we are celebrating forum posters..

Overhead you are awesome! thanks for representing communists on this forum with your polite and well thought out posts, you say everything I want to say and then some more!

TopazFusion:

pyrate:
Matters were made a lot worst with the tightening of moderation in the last 6 months.

But people requested that though.

The general consensus was that certain users (Xanthious, pro_family_lover, and the like) were getting away with trolling, flaming, etc.

So the rules were tightened. But of course this also meant other people got burned too.

Actually, Xanthious in particular managed to evade the tightened rules successfully for a long time while the very literalistic enforcement of the rules burned a lot of other people who were nowhere near as problematic. That's where the whole debate about "lying and calling liars liars" and "being a bit subtle about massively insulting other users and swaths of people in general rather than calling them liars or trolls" comes from.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked