A challenge on guns and schools.

Can anyone find for me, anyone at all, an elementary, middle, or high school shooting in the US involving the deaths of more than three people not including the shooter prior to 1994? That would be the year the Gun Free Zone act was passed. Cause the first one I can find would be in 1997. If not, than I entirely suspect we did it to ourselves. Just like the Batman shooter picked the ONLY theater out of 7 within 20 minutes of his house that banned guns which was neither the biggest or closest.

y0. Five words for you: Correlation Does Not Imply Causation.

Edit: And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shootings_in_the_United_States#1900.E2.80.931930s

June 12, 1976: California State University, Fullerton massacre, where the school's custodian opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle in the library on the California State University, Fullerton campus killing 7, and wounding 2.

May 1, 1992: Olivehurst, California Eric Houston, 20, killed four people and wounded 10 in an armed siege at his former high school. Prosecutors said the attack was in retribution for a failing grade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Charles Joseph Whitman (June 24, 1941 - August 1, 1966) was an engineering student and former Marine who killed 13 people and wounded 32 others in a shooting rampage located in and around the Tower of the University of Texas in Austin on the afternoon of August 1, 1966.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_School_massacre

The Cleveland School massacre (also known as the Stockton schoolyard shooting) occurred on January 17, 1989, at Cleveland Elementary School at 20 East Fulton Street in Stockton, California, United States. The gunman, Patrick Purdy, who had a long criminal history, shot and killed five schoolchildren, and wounded 29 other schoolchildren and one teacher, before committing suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Iowa_shooting

The University of Iowa shooting took place at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa on November 1, 1991. The gunman was Gang Lu, a 28-year-old former graduate student at the university. He killed four members of the university faculty and one student, and seriously wounded another student, before committing suicide.

Edit 2:

May 20, 1988: Winnetka, Illinois 30 year old Laurie Dann shot and killed one elementary school student and wounded five others, then took a family hostage and shot a man before killing herself.

October 18, 1985: Detroit, Michigan During halftime of the homecoming football game between Northwestern High School and Murray-Wright High School, a boy who was in a fight earlier that day pulled out a shotgun and opened fire, injuring six students.[24][25]

Why should only Deaths count? These people got lucky, but they could just as easily not have been.

Edit 3: I could go on, but this is getting silly. Would you like to rephrase your opening position, Raven, or abandon it?

Not really. I kept looking and found a grand total of 2 before 1997. Since then there have been many more. So what's increased the mortality? None of the shooters had formal training in guns.

ravenshrike:
Not really. I kept looking and found a grand total of 2 before 1997. Since then there have been many more. So what's increased the mortality? None of the shooters had formal training in guns.

Well...class size could be a factor? Cold blooded as that sounds, schools have a trend of having more and more students inside as the years go on. I'm talking about class as in 'graduating class', not necessarily 'individual classrooms'. It's easier to get more fatalities shooting into a crowd randomly then it is shooting at a loose group while aiming.

Three words: High capacity magazines, banned in the US prior to the 2004 expiration of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban as a major provision. Many of the recent large-scale shootings in the last few years have employed them, increasing the number of rounds fired before a reload is required (usually the first instance it is safe to try to take down the shooter). It also means that they need fewer magazines to hold larger numbers of bullets.

ravenshrike:

You can't ignore the quotes I posted, Raven. There are more than 2.

ravenshrike:

Since you ignored the edit, Realitycrash found cases resulting in 32 deaths and 85 wounds.

Your research skills are lacking, sounds like you started with the conclusion and then tried to find evidence to support it instead of looking for evidence and using it to build a conclusion.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked