Lets talk about gun control

Now that the hoopla surrounding the shooting in Newtown has died down a bit, I'd like to have a discussion about how we may help to prevent things like this from happening. Just a reasonable conversation on the topic, I don't want the flames of rhetoric to eventually take down this thread. Those outside of the United States are welcome to way in on your opinions or what regulations were successful in your country. Whether your solutions have to do actual with banning of types of weapons, reworking the US mental health system, or something else is up to you guys. Ground rules are no scapegoat hunting, no flame bait, and to be prepared to back up your claims in some way or another.

Personally I believe mainly in restrictions on magazine sizes (specifically, nothing over the minimum capacity magazine currently manufactured for the weapon, examples: 10 rounds for the AK-47 and I believe 20 rounds for most NATO compliant manufacturers), Permits required for assault weapons, and making automatic weapons only available in ranges. I could go on but I wish to avoid a wall of text.
BEGIN THE DEBATE!

Can we really not have another gun control thread with the number already populating the forum?

Instead, post in existing threads, like this one, or this one, or this one, or this one or this one. We really don't need another...

How about you move to one of the already existing ones instead of starting a new one?

Let's fucking not. Like the others said, we have more than enough threads as it is.

Be kind guys. It's his first post!

Good column on the reporting of this just today:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-01-09.html#read_more

These kinds of incidents will always bring out the gun control crowd. It is as if someone said something wrong, so we want to repeal the first amendment.

I don't think it will ever stop, but it will always need to be discussed and argued.

The Gentleman:
Can we really not have another gun control thread with the number already populating the forum?

Instead, post in existing threads, like this one, or this one, or this one, or this one or this one. We really don't need another...

My issue with the other threads is that for the most part they are on a specific part of the gun control debate, and really don't invite an "everything is on the table" discussion that I'm trying to get going. I know it may sound a little snooty but that's my reasoning. Also, why would you post on this thread specifically to preemptively derail it?

lutefiskeater:

The Gentleman:

My issue with the other threads is that for the most part they are on a specific part of the gun control debate, and really don't invite an "everything is on the table" discussion that I'm trying to get going. I know it may sound a little snooty but that's my reasoning. Also, why would you post on this thread specifically to preemptively derail it?

The same reason we were preemptively asked to limit the US election results threads: it starts to clog up the subforum. Hell, even threads that aren't about gun control are quickly getting derailed in that direction, so you have plenty of opportunity in other threads. Plus, the majority of main posters have already staked their position on guns generally in those threads, and what you wrote could have easily been posted as a response in a thread such as this one or this one instead of creating another seperate thread to rehash the same debate.

Gorfias:
Be kind guys. It's his first post!

Good column on the reporting of this just today:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-01-09.html#read_more

These kinds of incidents will always bring out the gun control crowd. It is as if someone said something wrong, so we want to repeal the first amendment.

I don't think it will ever stop, but it will always need to be discussed and argued.

In reply to that, A well sustained militia is what the second amendment is for, it should not give a person the excuse to have a military grade armory in their home. A musket used during late 18/ early 19 century took a trained [u]soldier[u] about 30 whole seconds to reload after one shot,versus an average man being able to reload an M16 in about 5-10 seconds after firing 30 rounds. Something the comic does address well though is America's failing health system, which is directly related to many of these incidents.
CAPTCHA: Know your rights
Wow...

The Gentleman:

lutefiskeater:

The Gentleman:

The same reason we were preemptively asked to limit the US election results threads: it starts to clog up the subforum. Hell, even threads that aren't about gun control are quickly getting derailed in that direction, so you have plenty of opportunity in other threads. Plus, the majority of main posters have already staked their position on guns generally in those threads, and what you wrote could have easily been posted as a response in a thread such as this one or this one instead of creating another seperate thread to rehash the same debate.

Thanks for the direction. I made this thread because I couldn't see anything in the subthread last night. I don't believe I can kill a thread though without hurting myself in the process.

Will people just stop posting about this already i'm sick of this.

lutefiskeater:

In reply to that, A well sustained militia is what the second amendment is for

Is that what the Amendment says or means? There is a rationale clause, but it is in no way limiting on the imperative clause that the right of the people, not the state but the people, to bear arms shall not be infringed. This is what the USSC found recently by reading plain English.

http://prospect.org/article/supreme-court-finds-individual-right-bear-arms

"Stevens' lengthy and detailed dissent, meanwhile, immediately conceded that the Second Amendment conferred an "individual" right in some sense,"

lutefiskeater:
Personally I believe mainly in restrictions on magazine sizes (specifically, nothing over the minimum capacity magazine currently manufactured for the weapon, examples: 10 rounds for the AK-47 and I believe 20 rounds for most NATO compliant manufacturers), Permits required for assault weapons, and making automatic weapons only available in ranges. I could go on but I wish to avoid a wall of text.
BEGIN THE DEBATE!

20 rounds for a NATO 7.62 magazine, 20 or 30 for a NATO 5.56 magazine, IIRC. 30 rounds for a Soviet 7.62 AK$& mag, but there are lots of other sizes.

No point restricting those, though, they are easy to come buy and hide, much more than the weapon itself.

Oh, something that bears repeating:

An assault rifle is a rifle with a detachable magazine, firing an intermediate power catridge, and capable of selective fire. If it's a civilian, semi-automatic only weapon, it's not an assault rifle.

An assault weapon...well, the definition of that is a total failure. It's a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine, with 2 feature from a list of scary looking things that don't do much to make the weapon dangerous, or stuff put on a list even if they don't have them. Bayonet lugs for example. If the weapon has bayonet lugs or not is likely to be of limited concern if you are being shot with it.

In my nation, we have very strict gun controls which work very well for us. Weapons are rated on things that actually matter, whether they use rimfire or centerfire catridges, whether they are semi-automatic or not, stuff like that.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked