Freedom Works funds Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh to say "Nice Things"

Mother Jones article

Taken from Story update at the bottom of the Article in Link:
In an interview with Media Matters for America's Joe Strupp, Dick Armey shed more light on FreedomWorks' financial arrangements with Glenn Beck's media network and Rush Limbaugh's radio show. Those deals were first reported by Mother Jones. Armey said FreedomWorks paid Beck upwards of $1 million to promote Freedomwork last year, calling the deal with Beck "basically paid advertising for FreedomWorks." But Armey questioned that deal, saying it provided "too little value" to FreedomWorks. Read the entire Media Matters story here.

So I was derping around Youtube and I found this TYT Video (link) about how Glen and Rush are being paid by Freedom Works.
This was suspected to be the case for yonks, but with the leaking of documents, It was proven with $1 Million going to Glen for the purpose of putting a good word in to allow the group to grow.

Just from what I gather, they often claim Liberal Bias is a direct result of the Left pumping money into the Media.
Funny how that works.

Sorry if you don't like the sources, I've actually tired to get both sides but I can't find nothing on the Fox News and FreedomWork's Sites
And Sorry if you don't like the OP, I more of a lurker then a poster here.

Captcha: Watch me

Glen and Rush and friends are staunch capitalists, what else is new? Someone else offering them extra bank for talking them up just seems like business as usual.

OP, you made a mistake in the title. It said: "Rush Limbaugh to say Nice Things".

GunsmithKitten:
Glen and Rush and friends are staunch capitalists, what else is new? Someone else offering them extra bank for talking them up just seems like business as usual.

Eh, I dunno, guess you can bring this up whenever some rightwing go on about "Liberal Bias!" and things of such nature.
Might not be surprising, but I thought it was somewhat news-worthy.

Blablahb:
OP, you made a mistake in the title. It said: "Rush Limbaugh to say Nice Things".

After I read that, I spent 5 minutes looking at the title before I got the joke!

Then again, my sleep cycle is messed up thanks to my cold...

....huh....I thought this would be a bigger deal......

Diablo1099:

Most people on this forum expect the right-wing to be hypocrites on this issue, so it's sort of beating a dead horse. They are political pundits, what else is there to say? Very few here hold any hope of consistency concerning their actions and their preaches.

Realitycrash:

Diablo1099:

Most people on this forum expect the right-wing to be hypocrites on this issue, so it's sort of beating a dead horse. They are political pundits, what else is there to say? Very few here hold any hope of consistency concerning their actions and their preaches.

Still, not everyday actual proof of this shows up, figured there would be a bit more interest, must be the title...

Eh, I tried, back to Lurking.

Diablo1099:

Realitycrash:

Diablo1099:

Still, not everyday actual proof of this shows up, figured there would be a bit more interest, must be the title...

Sir, we don't need proof that these people are morons. We already have it. For example, here's Glen Beck comparing the kids that were shot by Breivik in Norway to the Hitler Youth, and that a 'camp for kids that is about nothing but politics is disturbing', even though he himself has founded a politically oriented camp for youths.

Realitycrash:
Sir, we don't need proof that these people are morons. We already have it. For example, here's Glen Beck comparing the kids that were shot by Breivik in Norway to the Hitler Youth, and that a 'camp for kids that is about nothing but politics is disturbing', even though he himself has founded a politically oriented camp for youths.

Not THAT.
That these people can be brought to say anything about anyone.
As in proof that these shows aren't as successful as they claim and rely on such funding to even stay and in business.

That's what I meant.

GunsmithKitten:
Glen and Rush and friends are staunch capitalists, what else is new?

What does them being capitalists have to do with anything?

People aren't able to take bribes/accept money without being capitalist?

Diablo1099:

Realitycrash:

Not THAT.
That these people can be brought to say anything about anyone.
As in proof that these shows aren't as successful as they claim and rely on such funding to even stay and in business.

That's what I meant.

Well, isn't that sort of implied by being a political pundit? Or do you mean that to not compromise themselves, they should be able to stay on air with just the advertisement-money made by people listening/watching to their show?

Realitycrash:
Well, isn't that sort of implied by being a political pundit? Or do you mean that to not compromise themselves, they should be able to stay on air with just the advertisement-money made by people listening/watching to their show?

I know it's implied, but now, in the case of Back and Limbaugh, it's now proven fact, That's what I thought would be a big deal around here.

On your second matter, Yes, just a lot of these right-wing pundits aren't doing as well as they claim, this kind of funding explains why they can spew such bile and misdirection while staying on the air despite losing advertisers.
The US Political scene is nasty enough without allowing this nutjobs on both sides to remain on the air, not to mention how dishonest this is.

It really doesn't discredit them, the people that listen to their shows love freedom works and honestly freedom works has the same opinion's that glenn and rush have. It's like an athlete wearing a pepsi hat, he is probably a coke man but his team has a deal with pepsi where he makes millions for wearing it during an interview so you know what for the net 10 minutes he is a pepsi fan. Though you'd think in a field where your supposed to be imparting information on people and claiming it's true you wouldn't take money to show who has the right truth... but apparently that's not illegal so oh well.

Hardcore_gamer:

They get offered money for a pitance bit of approval, they take it.

A non-capitalist wouldn't be so enterprising as to do so.

Hell, son, I'm a capitalist, and I dont' blame them for doing so, I just fail to see what's remarkable about them playing a game they already proudly proclaim and enjoy playing.

Let's start with this: there is nothing illegal, anti-capitalist, or even particularly dubious about what they are doing (there are some questions as to whether it is healthy for a democratic system, but that's a conversation for another post). The problem is that this is a systemic problem within Conservative media, where personalities promote groups, organizations, and movements which they have a financial stake in.

Take one Phillip Morris, a Fox News political analyst (who was spectacularly wrong in his predictions). On his website and in several e-mails, he promoted a organization know as SuperPAC for America claiming it was "his SuperPAC," although that is in dispute. The PAC claims Morris is their chief strategist, which raises some red flags if he diverted expenditures to things he personally profited from. The PAC, in turn, paid for his e-mail list (from which he sends his solicitations and is held by Newsmax), sales of which he personally profits from. There doesn't appear to be enough for any criminal action to be made against him (and a civil fraud action would be extremely difficult to prove).

Clearly, this is only a new problem created by SuperPACs and internet solicitations, right? Sadly, it goes back far farther than that. Conmen, whether they believe in the conservative ideals or not, have routinely used US conservative political mailing lists in order to raise large amounts of money while doing the bare minimum to stay within the letter of the law. They reap massive profits on the most gullible and malleable (and often vulnerable) individuals within the movement through emotional pleas for money. While this originally was on the periphery of the movement, the rise of the conservative media beginning in the 80s and accelerating in the 90s and 00s has brought many of the money-making techniques into the mainstream.

GunsmithKitten:

The problem is that when your definition of 'capitalism' promotes socially left or economically left ideas, it's 'propaganda' and they decry the corrupting effect of money in politics and media.

That's why this is ironic and hypocritical of them.

dmase:
It really doesn't discredit them, the people that listen to their shows love freedom works and honestly freedom works has the same opinion's that glenn and rush have. It's like an athlete wearing a pepsi hat, he is probably a coke man but his team has a deal with pepsi where he makes millions for wearing it during an interview so you know what for the net 10 minutes he is a pepsi fan. Though you'd think in a field where your supposed to be imparting information on people and claiming it's true you wouldn't take money to show who has the right truth... but apparently that's not illegal so oh well.

It should, in a logical and sane world, discredit them, when they claim time and time again that left wing interests giving money to left wing publications, even when it's through like 7 intermediaries, like if you gave me a dollar, and I gave my mechanic that dollar to pay for something and then he spent that dollar on a membership to Working America and then Working America campaigned for the Democratic Party, causes corruption in the media or democratic process.

Then they're doing the same fucking thing? In anything SANE that would be a discredit to their message. Logically either their message that money from advertisers is corrupting is wrong (what's good for the goose is good for the gander), or their message that they're not corrupt fuckwads because they don't take bribes is wrong and either way you shouldn't listen to them.

But the fact that people are arguing that it's fine and dandy when they do it, proves that the world is anything but sane or consistent.

The problem with your analogy is that nobody is arguing that Pepsi sponsorship makes your track and field athlete run faster or throw races. This would be closer to the guy getting cut a check from Coke talking about how the athlete from from Pepsi is dishonest because his Pepsi money might cause him to throw a race to boost Pepsi's sales.

GunsmithKitten:

Hardcore_gamer:

They get offered money for a pitance bit of approval, they take it.

A non-capitalist wouldn't be so enterprising as to do so.

Hell, son, I'm a capitalist, and I dont' blame them for doing so, I just fail to see what's remarkable about them playing a game they already proudly proclaim and enjoy playing.

Again, the remarkable point is they look at anybody else playing the game and call 'corruption'.

Diablo1099:

Realitycrash:

Diablo1099:

Get back here and quit hiding in that bush, we need more posters, not less.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked