School shooting at taft high school in california

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Well at least according to reports no one was killed in this incident thankfully.

kramer:
http://globalgrind.com/news/taft-high-school-schooting-kern-county-california-suspect-in-custody-injured-photos

What the hell is going on? This is getting ridiculous

Well that's just the single most professional website I've ever seen.

I'm glad no-one died. I just hope the gun control laws Obama commissioned come into proper effect before more stuff like this happens.

...Are you fucking kidding me? Already? Actually, I'm not as surprised as I wish I could be. With the media turning these school shootings into goddamn entertainment spectacles, more and more disturbed kids are going to want their time of national infamy.

If you ask me, we shouldn't even broadcast the gunman's picture. Hell, I don't even care what their name is. I've never met them before - why should I care what they look like/are called?

(But we all know it's not the media's fault. Looks like those accursed, Satanic video game abominations are at it again, huh?)

Well at least this one didn't do much damage, only

"a teacher and a student had been injured and are currently receiving treatment in hospital. The student's injuries are not thought to be life-threatening."

So it seems pretty hopeful that the two victims will make it out alive, though probably not without some scarring, both emotional and physical.

What I don't agree with is the huge amounts of media attention these shootings get. What I think makes people shoot up a school instead of just killing themselves is that they want to go out in a blaze of glory[1], they want to be remembered, and don't care if their name carries positive or negative connotations. So if school shootings were played down and covered up then might other potential shooters be at least a little more discouraged to go out shooting people? Obviously the media attention is far from the only element which catalyzes shootings but I think that it could make some difference.

[1] Obviously there isn't any 'glory' to shooting up a school filled with defenceless children, just a figure of speech.

Fortunately no-one was killed by the sounds of it but apart from that it looks like another normal day in America.

Waters wet, snow is cold and Americans love shooting each other.

It's one of those unwritten rules.

SanAndreasSmoke:
...Are you fucking kidding me? Already? Actually, I'm not as surprised as I wish I could be. With the media turning these school shootings into goddamn entertainment spectacles, more and more disturbed kids are going to want their time of national infamy.

If you ask me, we shouldn't even broadcast the gunman's picture. Hell, I don't even care what their name is. I've never met them before - why should I care what they look like/are called?

(But we all know it's not the media's fault. Looks like those accursed, Satanic video game abominations are at it again, huh?)

Couldn't agree more. The 24-Hour news cycle is almost as damaging to our country as our government is XD

"The police department has also confirmed that there is usually a full-time sheriff's deputy on duty in the school"

Is this normal in the USA?

Speaking as a brit, it seems really strange to me that there'd be a (presumably armed) law enforcement officer in a school, all the time.

Must people really jump to blaming the media? Do they have some modicum of proof or just that they think it makes sense? If the latter, that's pretty much what people who blame video games do...

Fappy:

SanAndreasSmoke:

Couldn't agree more. The 24-Hour news cycle is almost as damaging to our country as our government is XD

\

I'm honestly shocked that most people don't seem to make the link that the people who do these shootings want the attention and infamy, and the media is giving it to them.

And yet when questioned, they blame Video Games or something similar. Something that millions of people play without having their mind warped into that of a killing machine. It's just such a ridiculous display of hypocrisy and naivety.

A shotgun? Well, that's something. Don't these things only have a few shots before reload and are far slower to reload than magazine-based weaponry?

Sixcess:
"The police department has also confirmed that there is usually a full-time sheriff's deputy on duty in the school"

Speaking as a brit, it seems really strange to me that there'd be a (presumably armed) law enforcement officer in a school, all the time.

In my school district, we had a law enforcement officer at school at all time too (and has an office filled with naughty goodies). So it is either a USA thing or just a California thing.

I'm surprised that the student survived from a shotgun shot, but it's a good thing that nobody died.

SanAndreasSmoke:

It depresses the hell outta me that I'm saying this... but honestly, I am surprised... surprised that it didn't happen sooner. While I don't entirely blame the news media for stuff like this, I can't help but feel like they're deserving of at least some of the responsibility. In recent years they seem all too eager to give ideas to people who wish to cause harm. Kinda like how after 9/11 the investigative journalists spent every waking moment of their lives seeking out and exposing all of the security flaws at airports and broadcasting them publicly rather than quietly handing them over to airport security or the government. /facepalm

Sixcess:

I don't know if it's normal for the whole country, but my tiny little high school in the middle of nowhere, New Hampshire had an armed police officer on duty at all times. Granted, he was probably the department's least useful officer. One time he was covering for a teacher that had to call out sick and decided to show my class all of the various things a police officer carries in his belt... and accidentally handcuffed himself to a desk... and realized he'd left the key in his office...

Dijkstra:
Must people really jump to blaming the media? Do they have some modicum of proof or just that they think it makes sense? If the latter, that's pretty much what people who blame video games do...

This video was posted alot in the sandy hook thread and its appropriate here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

With all the attention the media gives these stories, it is hard to argue that they don't have some effect on it

Sixcess:

depends on the state, depends on the area.

City schools I would imagine yes. Some of the really bad ones have metal detectors and panic buttons. Gang violence inside schools can be a problem in some inner city areas.

in the more rural/low crime area schools? probably not. The schools around my neighborhood dont have police officers.

AGAIN??!!

I thought all teenagers realized that getting themselves affiliated with the news at this point is suicide.

All jokes aside, hope that the guy recovers, and hope that this should never happen again.

Sixcess:

It really depends from district to district. Most high schools do though. They are called "School Resource Officers", and yes, they are armed. The one at my school here in Kansas carried his standard issue Glock, and a Taser, and Mace (more potent pepperspray), and handcuffs (had to arrest students afew times, usually for drugs). And just to prove the cops in the US arent as trigger-happy as people like the think they are, the Taser was in a quick-draw holster in an easier to grab spot than his gun.

Quaxar:
A shotgun? Well, that's something. Don't these things only have a few shots before reload and are far slower to reload than magazine-based weaponry?

Depends on the gun, just like always. Your stereotypical pump-action shotgun will carry 8 usually 12-gauge[1] shells, and the gun must be racked between shots. Then, unless you have a speed loader (which are usually big and hard to hide), you must reload each individual shot into the gun. However, there are many shotguns out there that are fed by magazines like most other guns, and those can be reloaded just as fast. They usually also have small mag sizes due to the sheer size of shotgun shells. You'd be hard pressed to find a shotgun that holds more than 10 shots, magazine fed or otherwise.

OT: Great. Now I have to put up with more gun stuff. I am tired of people saying guns are the problem when my state says you can own machine-guns, rocket launchers, grenades, and even motherf***ing TANKS!! and we havent had a mass-shooting in 150 years. And even the 3 we had before that cant really be counted due to the fact they took place during Our own personal civil war (we fought the Civil War BEFORE it was cool =3). That to me says there is something more to it than the gun, and it really gets on my nerves when people jump straight to saying "Its because of the guns!"

[1] Shotgun shells are measures in "gauge" rather than the normal "millimeter" diameters. Gauge is the amount of lead pellets in the shell per one pound, so a 12 gauge shell has 12 lead pellets. The smaller the number, the bigger the pellets. Typical civilian shotguns range from 10 gauge to 28 gauge, with 12 gauge being the most common at 50% of shotguns.

How long until video games and being American are to blame for this incident

Professor Lupin Madblood:

kramer:
http://globalgrind.com/news/taft-high-school-schooting-kern-county-california-suspect-in-custody-injured-photos

What the hell is going on? This is getting ridiculous

Well that's just the single most professional website I've ever seen.

I'm glad no-one died. I just hope the gun control laws Obama commissioned come into proper effect before more stuff like this happens.

1. California already has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. It isn't going to change much even if it does pass.

2. It was done with a shotgun, which are not being targeted by current proposed gun laws. Even Dianne Feinstein proposed "new Assault Weapon Ban," let alone what Obama is talking about, would not effect most shotguns.

Terminate421:
How long until video games and being American are to blame for this incident

No one died, so I presume that this will be pushed under the bridge soon. I'd say that the media would be more likely to blame since this occurred not too long after the Sandy Hook shooting. If you see any blaming it'll be in the local news or something.

This is just fucking ridiculous. This is, what, the third major shooting in the space of just one year? And in the previous years, you've also had senators getting shot, the Virginia tech shootings...

Seriously, America, sort it the fuck out! Your kids are now being regularly caught in the line of fire! The Dunblaine shooting was enough for us to outlaw handguns in the UK, and we've been pretty free of shootings ever since. Get your fucking guns in order, and stop putting your kids at risk. This is mental. It's beyond mental. No first world nation should be subject to such ludicrous violence on such a regular basis.

See, there's a couple of things here that set off a few bells in my head:

1) He brought in a shotgun. See, if I personally wanted to do some mass school exudes of life (AND I DON'T, OBVIOUSLY.) I'd probably go something like an assault rifle, something that shoots a lot of bullets quickly. I mean, yeah, with an alto shotgun you could probably do the same kind of damage, but still.
2) The dude shot at two guys, missed one (which suggests he didn't even walk up to him, because it's a damn shotgun) and then apparently just stopped while people evacuated.
3) He actually named the second guy before he blasted at him. And why didn't he shout the first? Who's to say, maybe he wanted to get a surprise attack in, as it were.
4) The teachers managed to talk the guy down, eventually.

And all of this is suggesting to me that it might be less "Kid goes banana nut-butters crazy from lack of friends or mental deficiencies and walks in ready to garner attention by blasting everyone he can heavenwards" and more "Kid gets really, REALLY angry with a few particular bastards and begins to think the only way out is to get the buggers filled with lead." As in, less the kid being just crazy in general, and more him being bullied a lot until he thinks the shotgun is the only way out.
I'm not saying he's a good guy for it or anything, nothing of the sort - it's still a shame that it got to this point, obviously, and I wish the dude hadn't. My point is, though, is; Let's not lump this together with the other mass school shootings, as this seems like it at least might be a different situation.

Tuesday Night Fever:
One time he was covering for a teacher that had to call out sick and decided to show my class all of the various things a police officer carries in his belt... and accidentally handcuffed himself to a desk... and realized he'd left the key in his office...

Thats just awesome.

Hey, havent i told you theres a shooting every month in America, see, now do you believe me its not once a decade?

1. California already has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. It isn't going to change much even if it does pass.

2. It was done with a shotgun, which are not being targeted by current proposed gun laws. Even Dianne Feinstein proposed "new Assault Weapon Ban," let alone what Obama is talking about, would not effect most shotguns.

strictest gun laws for you is "letting lunatics free access to guns" for the rest of the world, so thats not really an excuse.
Notice the difference though, he had a shotgun instead of a faster gun, no dead people.

Someone should really stop all these video games before they shoot any more people.

These shootings are really getting popular. Soon, no school will be able to take it self seriously without having their personal serial killer.

This is just insane

Im just extremely glad that the injures here are likely to recover, hopefully, soon, this rampage will stop, though I dont see that happening while disturbed individuals feel disgruntled :/

Im not going to be hysterical and instantly lay blame on one outside influence or the other (IE guns, the government, the Media, etc) other than obviously the shooter himself. Im just going to let it all unfold and see where the facts land

Crap. I am from the Kern County area. I am barely 30 min away from Taft. Damn what is up with this shit. Also that Sheriff is my cousin.

Rawne1980:
Fortunately no-one was killed by the sounds of it but apart from that it looks like another normal day in America.

Waters wet, snow is cold and Americans love shooting each other.

It's one of those unwritten rules.

The vast majority of Americans do not enjoy shooting other Americans, in fact you could be so bold as to say it's so rare that you have more of a chance of dieing from the flu this year then getting shot.
America has over 36,000 schools and over 13,000,000 students, most Americans do not enjoy shooting each other and to say such a thing is an insult to the dead and any sane American.

That is up with this shit is that every time some selfish sack of entitlement issues decides to grab whatever assault rifle was half-off at Wal-Mart the previous week and go down in a blaze of complete asshole, the news shows make him out like he's a fucking rock star.

Twenty-four-seven news on him, comparing his body count to the last prick who tried it, wetting themselves in excitement at the chance to blame it on his having played Katamari Damacy, full-page spreads on his weapon of choice (walk without rhythm) and watching their ratings go up because of it.

And, of course, interviewing people who are actually knowledgeable on the subject, and cutting them off when they tell the news program who they'd blame.

Sixcess:

It is for rougher schools, which Taft kinda is. Cops do it for outreach and security, whether it be school shooters, drug dealers, or pedophiles.

It doesn't exactly have the most stellar of reputations.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
This is just fucking ridiculous. This is, what, the third major shooting in the space of just one year? And in the previous years, you've also had senators getting shot, the Virginia tech shootings...

Seriously, America, sort it the fuck out! Your kids are now being regularly caught in the line of fire! The Dunblaine shooting was enough for us to outlaw handguns in the UK, and we've been pretty free of shootings ever since. Get your fucking guns in order, and stop putting your kids at risk. This is mental. It's beyond mental. No first world nation should be subject to such ludicrous violence on such a regular basis.

Its Taft. Kinda expected.

The only thing less surprising is a shooting in certain continuation schools, which are schools designed to deal with criminal or insane teens. Usually more locked down than a prison with an army of cops on premises at all times, and has plenty of gang influence inside them.

Kids get shot in high school all the time, but its usually gang related drive bys in front of the schools in California.

Sixcess:

They're mostly there for either drug busts or gang activity. I am speaking as a native of Kern County(born and raised in Bakersfield).

Ultratwinkie:

Sixcess:

It is for rougher schools, which Taft kinda is. Cops do it for outreach and security, whether it be school shooters, drug dealers, or pedophiles.

It doesn't exactly have the most stellar of reputations.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Its Taft. Kinda expected.

The only thing less surprising is a shooting in certain continuation schools, which are schools designed to deal with criminal or insane teens. Usually more locked down than a prison with an army of cops on premises at all times, and has plenty of gang influence inside them.

Kids get shot in high school all the time, but its usually gang related drive bys in front of the schools in California.

Yeah Taft is a bit crazy. Not a whole lot to do in that town either.

so, wait, he missed his shot inside the classroom with a shotgun?

how do you miss from that range?

Dijkstra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4
Feel free to jump to 1:40.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
No first world nation should be subject to such ludicrous violence on such a regular basis.

You are absolutely right!

UK needs to get its shit together so their their massive violent crime problem will go down!
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_ass_vic-crime-assault-victims

Or how about all them rapes?
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_vic-crime-rape-victims

Nah lets just complain about dem gunz!
(total crimes) http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_vic-crime-total-victims

OT: I am glad I ordered a few assault rifles and an assault shotgun before all this stuff went down, would have cost me MUCH more now!

That teacher better get a giant fucking medal, he's a damn hero.

Sixcess:

Los Angeles is not a pleasant place. I grew up a in a nearby city, though, and I didn't have any armed people on campus, so I'd assume it's really just at Los Angeles.

Combustion Kevin:
so, wait, he missed his shot inside the classroom with a shotgun?

how do you miss from that range?

Just guessing here, but I think there's a point where it gets harder to hit people as they get close, as they are able to traverse more of your field of view quicker, and that outweighs their larger profile. Easier to dodge at close range, I suppose.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here