Most despised US president?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Now just to break up the pace of animosity on the subforum, I have this simple question, see, some of my friends over here were wondering, so I might as well ask.

Who is, in USA, considered to have been the worst president ever?

Oh and by the way - leave Bush Jr. and Obama, the two "freshest" ones out of this for now, since history has yet to vindicate or condemn them on long-term stuff. Everything up to and including Clinton is fair game.

Well, Nixon is usually the most vilified by all parties. Conservatives generally like to hate on FDR and liberals generally like to hate on Reagan, too. People really don't like Jimmy Carter, either. I think that about covers the most hated ones. A number of others definitely do get some hate, but not like those. :P

Historians prefer to hate on James Buchanan, on the account of effectively doing nothing to prevent the near-imminent US Civil War, followed by Herbert Hoover for failing to do anything to prevent the Great Depression.

The Gentleman:
Historians prefer to hate on James Buchanan, on the account of effectively doing nothing to prevent the near-imminent US Civil War, followed by Herbert Hoover for failing to do anything to prevent the Great Depression.

I thought they hated more on the Warren guy.

MacNille:

The Gentleman:

I thought they hated more on the Warren guy.

I assume you're referring to Warren Harding. Most of the negatives on him stem from a overt cronyism and corruption in his appointments that results in a myriad of scandals throughout his administration, most notably blatant violations of prohibition law.

That said, nothing negative he did was anywhere to the degree of Buchanan or Hoover.

Buchanan, Hoover, Harding, Nixon for everyone.

Clinton, Carter, FDR, Jackson, and Grant if you're GOP

Reagan, Bush Sr if you're Democrat

Buchanan is generally considered to be the worst bar none by historians. Hoover gets a lot of flack too, with good reason, though I would say he gets a bit more than is honestly fair. Nixon is hated essentially for getting caught pulling the same bullshit we now know most presidents did but more blatantly and possibly more often. Most others depend on your stance on different issues, with possible exceptions being made for Andrew Johnson and Carter who are also generally thought to be below average or worse.
Edit- Oh, and Harding too. He was a crony loving douche.

The Gentleman:

Didn't Hoover like to claim "there was nothing that could be done" And "it's not my fault"?

Raegan/Nixon are pretty much despised by most of the world. I think that makes them the most despised US presidents.

If I had to choose one though it might just be Nixon.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I really doubt Democrats "hate" Bush Sr. Can you link where you're getting this from? I'm a libertarian/conservative, and not a Democrat, and I hate Bush Sr. Worst, most treacherous US President of my lifetime. I preferred Nixon to this tri-fecta loser asshole.

I'd very much like a fresh perspective on this guy if you have links. There are never enough reasons to hate on this back stabbing bastard.

Didn't Andrew Jackson attempt genocide? I think that's a reason to dislike someone.

Knight Templar:
Didn't Andrew Jackson attempt genocide? I think that's a reason to dislike someone.

He's the one I've read is the most despised historically. His domestic policy was supposedly a corrupt disaster as well. I think there were impeachment demands, though I don't think they went as far as the Clinton episode. Reviewing. Still interested in links of leftists that hated GHWB as much as I do.

EDIT: So far http://www.allthingscherokee.com/articles_culture_events_020201.html

About the Cherokee.

Oops, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100729005439AAZhyzd He wan't the one regarding impeachment.

Yikes: this AH was pretty well liked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

Andrew Jackson. We've had a lot of asshole presidents, but he takes the cake.

sorry for double post, just noticed this

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Why Jackson and Grant for GOP? I figured Jackson was hated by everyone, but I didn't know Grant was particularly hated by anyone.

Vegosiux:
Now just to break up the pace of animosity on the subforum, I have this simple question, see, some of my friends over here were wondering, so I might as well ask.

Who is, in USA, considered to have been the worst president ever?

Oh and by the way - leave Bush Jr. and Obama, the two "freshest" ones out of this for now, since history has yet to vindicate or condemn them on long-term stuff. Everything up to and including Clinton is fair game.

Which question are you asking?

The worst President ever might not exactly correlate with most despised.

Probably throw in Truman and Coolidge into the pot, specifically Truman who I dislike immensely.

BTW: Nixon would've just turned 100.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/337447/nixon-100-was-he-america-s-last-liberal-john-fund

Nixon, the last liberal? This conservative writes pretty angrily about him.

"I believe that Richard Nixon governed more as a liberal than anything else, and that the Watergate scandal set back the cause of conservatism. From our failure to control runaway spending to restrictions on campaign finance, we are still dealing with the repercussions of his mistakes."

People that aren't me hate Jackson? Strange, most historical documentaries about the guy treat him as one of the better and more important presidents, despite the genocide. He was the president who opened up politics to the lower class after all. And fucking crazy like no other president has ever been, but this is among many things that kinda gets glossed over in favor of the populism.

Nixon and Reagan are bad guys? Please gents.

G. Washington led a military campaign that cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians so he and his cronies could keep slaves and steal the Quebec Indian Reserve.

Or Franklin D. Roosevelt for stabbing the British Commonwealth, Poland and indeed all of Eastern Europe in the back by betraying the interests of Freedom and democracy at Yalta; and leaving Britain with a massive war debt that by all rights should have been written off due to the US entry into the war. Meanwhile the Soviets lend lease debt was continually deferred, frozen, reassessed and so on to the point that it was never paid and to date is still treated by the post-Soviet governments as if it never existed. The Anglo-American debt essentially killed the British Commonwealth and led to numerous wars across the globe after the fall of the empire; costing millions of lives and setting many nations in Africa backwards economically and culturally, reversing decades of hard work and investment.

Or dear Jackson for his genocide?

I'm going with FDR. His actions cost millions of lives over the past 60 years and brought the human race closer than ever before to total extinction due to his lax policy on Soviet influence and war debt.

Revnak:
People that aren't me hate Jackson? Strange, most historical documentaries about the guy treat him as one of the better and more important presidents, despite the genocide. He was the president who opened up politics to the lower class after all. And fucking crazy like no other president has ever been, but this is among many things that kinda gets glossed over in favor of the populism.

To be fair tt is kinda hard not to love a guy that beat a would be assassin half to death with his walking cane

I actually kind of like Nixon. He's been villanized to hell and back around the world, but he was willing to stick his neck out for people below him. It got his head chopped off but the willingness to do it does earn points to me.

I'd have to go with Jackson or Buchanan and Lincoln, personally.

And it's no surprise that the 'most hated across the world' are the ones from after TV started to be a thing.

I guess this would depend on where your from, some of the most celebrated among the American people are often considered the most bigoted, cruel and despised by others:

http://www.nativenewsnetwork.com/us-presidents-in-their-own-words-concerning-american-indians.html

My history teacher had a good way of putting this. All presidents leave the White House unpopular unless they leave feet first. It is only in the long run that they get any sort of vindication (some historians are starting to warm up to Nixon). And no president in history has done everything bad (except maybe Old Tippecanoe but he was only in office for a month).

In my opinion, Lincoln was a god awful president. If we follow my teacher's guidelines, he left feet first and therefore we ignore most of the very bad things he did. He tortured American civilians in a military prison (sounds familiar). He tried American civilians in a military court and beyond that he military court protocol even further by holding it in a heavily biased area (Bloody Kansas). He illegally declared martial law several times. He ordered the detainment of diplomats. There was a widespread policy in POW camps to stop providing prisoners with vegetables (and the effects this would have were well known at this point). In retaliation to the southern stated policy it became de facto policy for Union POW camps to execute blacks who arrived wearing southern uniforms. In addition, his war policy was blatantly idiotic and caused the deaths of far more soldiers than were necessary. Hell, his greatest achievement in the eyes of historians was the Emancipation Proclamation. Despite what many people say, the Emancipation Proclamation was an attack on the Confederate economy, not a moral stance. If it was a moral stance he would have freed ALL slaves and not just the ones in Confederate territory. And I could go on but this is enough.

Not sure if he's the worst, but I did a report on President Grant several years ago. Sure, he was a war hero, but he knew nothing about being president, which led to a cabinet full of leeches who completely took advantage of his naivete to get themselves riches. That's another thing. If I recall correctly, he put a bunch of friends, family members, and relatives in his cabinet. I don't think he was corrupt himself, but the government sure was while he was in power.

On an aggregate of presidential ranking lists, there is almost a 1:1 correlations between national deaths during the term and popularity of the president.

Poor Carter, as a President he was not very good, but as a person he is (supposedly) a really nice guy. He made a bigger positive impact AFTER his presidency than during.

LetalisK:
sorry for double post, just noticed this

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Why Jackson and Grant for GOP? I figured Jackson was hated by everyone, but I didn't know Grant was particularly hated by anyone.

Grant isn't particularly disliked because he won the Civil War, but his presidency was full of scandals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_S._Grant_presidential_administration_scandals

I'm not American, but surely it's Richard Nixon. No President that I know of had a reputation such as his, nor was so universally held in such poor regard.

Sadly he is now Earth President in the year 3010...or at least his head is.

William Henry Harrison

Think about it

What ONE thing did he do for our country?

On a more serious note, I'd say James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, and Warren G. Harding.

Lunar Shadow:
Probably throw in Truman and Coolidge into the pot, specifically Truman who I dislike immensely.

He(Truman) the only president my state has had, and is likely the only one for the foreseeable future, baring a 2016 run by Jay Nixon.

;_;

George W Buuuu..... ARRRGGGHH

Guess i'll just have to wait another 4 years until i can say his name so :)

Personally I gotta go with Andrew Jackson. Because he totally broke the law in the most obvious way when he evicted the Cherokee from the Appalachians AFTER the Supreme Court said they could not be removed.

chiefohara:
George W Buuuu..... ARRRGGGHH

Guess i'll just have to wait another 4 years until i can say his name so :)

GW Bush will probably be remembered by history as mediocre to poor, but certainly not the worst or most hated. It's still "cool" to hate him so shrug. Generations from now Obama will be remembered for being the first "black" president and will otherwise be mediocre. Nothing can top James Buchanan basically getting the credit for the country splitting in 2 in terms of being the worst president.

Shock and Awe:
Personally I gotta go with Andrew Jackson. Because he totally broke the law in the most obvious way when he evicted the Cherokee from the Appalachians AFTER the Supreme Court said they could not be removed.

But he stop the U.S national bank, and was loved by Americans. He was judge the people's president. In doing so he destroys something that has now plagued us later, but he did his best. The Indians also attacked US settlements so they weren't defeated because their was gold on that land or whatever. They kind of deserve it vs other Indians who did nothing to the U.S, but were still wiped out. Plus FDR MADE Americans surrender ALL their gold to the U.S government. Does not sound constitutional to you. Democratic Governments cannot just go up to people, and force them like that. Does that sound like a democracy to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

Gergar12:

Shock and Awe:

But he stop the U.S national bank, and was loved by Americans. He was judge the people's president. In doing so he destroys something that has now plagued us later, but he did his best. The Indians also attacked US settlements so they weren't defeated because their was gold on that land or whatever. They kind of deserve it vs other Indians who did nothing to the U.S, but were still wiped out. Plus FDR MADE Americans surrender ALL their gold to the U.S government. Does not sound constitutional to you. Democratic Governments cannot just go up to people, and force them like that. Does that sound like a democracy to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

Fucking hell man. If anything, the Cherokee and the other tribes removed by the Indian removal act deserved it the least. They were the most westernized tribe of Indians in existence. They owned plantations, slaves, and homes nearly identical to their neighbors. They went to churches just like their southern neighbors. Though there were certainly substantial differences, they were definitely "American." And those racist, greedy bastards sent them on a trail of tears. Fuck Jackson and fuck anyone who would in any way justify the trail of tears or say that it was normal for the time. I'm fine with people glossing over his mistakes and focusing on the positives because, honestly, there are some great things about the guy. He was also a genocidal maniac, and you cannot justify that.

for me personally, i'm gonna go with the usually rather beloved

theodore roosevelt.

why do you ask? it's a bit complicated.
once, america was a remarkable place in many ways. founded as one of the first nations of people to govern themselves, people that fought for their freedom and liberties against opression. a center of philosophical and cultural achievements that stood for freedom and progres, radical ideas that were almost unheard of before.

however, this america of mark twain, benjamin franklin and abraham lincoln, the america of progres and liberty got replaced. it made room for the america of teddy roosevelt and the superpatriots. it became what it had once fought against: a superconservative power opposed to any developement and progres, force of opression and exploitation of foreign peoples, against the developement of liberty and justice in the world, the all things that made its creation originally so remarkable.

i personally think that good ol' teddy had no small part in this developement.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here