SouthingtonSOS Cancel Game Collection

The New Britain Herald reports that SouthingtonSOS, the people organising a 'Violent Games Amnesty' for this Saturday have now cancelled game collection as the goal of sparking a debate has been achieved.

Story is here.

Now I actually said before that I didn't think they were the jackbooted thugs some commentators painted them as. I would argue this kind of proves the point, but what do other escapists think?

Are they backing down for their reasons; after pressure from Gamers or because they got their fix of publicity?

Word to the wise, don't link to personal blogs, earns you mod wrath.

Honestly there's not much to say for this, they tried to drive up controversy but I doubt they got any more than what Fox News managed to. This was probably canned due to lack of interest rather than actually managing to accomplish anything meaningful.

BroJing:
The New Britain Herald reports that SouthingtonSOS, the people organising a 'Violent Games Amnesty' for this Saturday have now cancelled game collection as the goal of sparking a debate has been achieved.

Story is here.

Now I actually said before that I didn't think they were the jackbooted thugs some commentators painted them as. I would argue this kind of proves the point, but what do other escapists think?

Are they backing down for their reasons; after pressure from Gamers or because they got their fix of publicity?

I'm with Karma on this one; Option 3, their event was obviously going to be a dismal failure so they scrapped it and wheeled out some bullshit about "sparking debate".

Also, here is how you "spark debate"; I think [X], I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

Not; "Woooooooo look at me look at me, check out how much of a colossal bell-end I'm being! LOL j/k, discuss [vulcan eyebrow]."

So they were only interested in starting a debate? Reminds me of my friends kid when he was 5.

Magichead:

BroJing:

Story is here.

I'm with Karma on this one; Option 3, their event was obviously going to be a dismal failure so they scrapped it and wheeled out some bullshit about "sparking debate".

Also, here is how you "spark debate"; I think [X], I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

Not; "Woooooooo look at me look at me, check out how much of a colossal bell-end I'm being! LOL j/k, discuss [vulcan eyebrow]."

Why can't it be both 2 and 3? Because something like this screams publicity stunt anyways. Nobody 'sparks debate' with this sort of tactic. At least not honestly.

charge52:
So they were only interested in starting a debate? Reminds me of my friends kid when he was 5.

There's nothing wrong (per se) with doing something controversial to start a debate, if one feels that a debate needs to be held because the topic is either always avoided or misunderstood. Artists do it all the time.

Suppose this is what happens when none of the people who want to burn Video Games own video games, those who own video games thinks the idea of burning them is just plain stupid, and those who were willing to buy video games to burn them did a double take at the price tag and realized the only "violent" video games they would be able to burn was probably some old used copy of Lego Starwars

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked