New school shooting. UPDATED. AGAIN.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Two people have been killed in a shooting at Hazard Community & Technical College.

A third person was critically injured and has been transported to Hazard ARH.

Police say two suspects have come forward. It is not known if they were directly associated with the shooting.

We have reporter on the the scene and hope to have more soon.

Source: http://www.sott.net/article/256403-Kentucky-police-Two-dead-in-shooting-at-Hazard-Community-Technical-College

Just saw this on the news, and so I googled it. That was the first article to come up.

However, the average number of deaths in school shootings are 22 a year in the US. So we have 21 to go before it starts to really kick off.

Not much discussion value because literally nothing is known at this point except people died, just thought I'd put it out there.

Edit:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- A gunman firing into a vehicle killed two people and wounded a juvenile Tuesday as they sat in the parking lot of an eastern Kentucky community college.

The campus was locked down for more than an hour while police searched the two buildings of Hazard Community and Technical College in Hazard, Ky., to ensure there was no further danger before allowing students to leave, police told a news conference broadcast live on WYMT-TV's website.

College President Stephen Greiner said that at the time of the shooting, there were probably about 30 students on campus, which is based 90 miles southeast of Lexington, Ky.

Police recovered the weapon, a semiautomatic pistol, at the scene, and a man who walked into an office of the Kentucky State Police in Hazard and said he knew something about the shooting was being questioned as a suspect, Hazard Police Chief Minor Allen said. No charges had been filed and no other suspects had been identified at the time of the news conference, which was held about three hours after the shooting.

A male and female were already dead when police arrived about 6 p.m., Allen said. The wounded juvenile, a female, was taken to University of Kentucky Hospital, he said.

A hospital spokeswoman said she could not provide any information about the juvenile's condition without a name, which police did not release.

Allen said police believe the shooting may have been the result of a domestic dispute. He didn't know the relationship between the victims and the shooter.

Conor Duff, the college's evening coordinator, said the outbreak of violence was startling.

"Everybody here's been pretty shook up," he said. "This is definitely something people around here are not used to. We have our fair share of problems, but normally this isn't one of them."

Classes had resumed Monday at the campus after the holiday break, according to the college's website, which also posted that there had been an incident and asked students to stay away from the main campus. The school called off classes for Wednesday.

"Our thoughts and sympathy are with the families of the victims of this tragedy," said HCTC President Steve Greiner in a news release. "We are cooperating fully with the authorities and they have shared with us they do not believe the college was specifically targeted. Fortunately our staff was prepared and responded quickly to secure our campus buildings to limit the impact of this shooting. I am pleased with their response and I want to assure our students, staff and the community we will do all we can to maintain the safety and security of our college."

The college's academic programs range from associate's degrees in arts and sciences to career-focused training in mining technology and heavy-equipment operation.

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/national/2-killed-1-wounded-in-shooting-at-hazard-community-college#ixzz2I7mj2Les

Edit 2:

HAZARD, Ky. (AP) - A gunman fired into a vehicle, killing a man and a woman and wounding a 12-year-old girl late Tuesday, and police have charged a 21-year-old with murder and attempted murder in the incident, blaming it on a domestic dispute.

The violence in a college parking lot locked down the campus for more than an hour as police searched the two buildings of Hazard Community and Technical College in Hazard, in southeast Kentucky. The campus was closed Wednesday.

Hazard police Chief Minor Allen said Wednesday that Dalton Stidham, 21, was charged with two counts of murder and one count of attempted murder.

Allen said the shooting resulted from a dispute between Stidham and the woman who was killed, 20-year-old Caitlin Cornett.

Allen identified the male victim as Cornett's uncle, Jackie Cornett, 53. He said the wounded girl was Jackie Cornett's daughter. She was in critical condition at noon Wednesday at Kentucky Children's Hospital, said Julie Phillips, a hospital spokeswoman.

Allen said Caitlin Cornett, who was a student at the college, and Stidham had a child together and had met to exchange custody of him. Allen said police are still investigating what led to the shooting.

Caitlin Cornett's sister, Brittany Cornett, told The Lexington Herald-Leader that Stidham and Caitlin Cornett had separated in October after a three-year relationship. Their son is 2 years old.

The boy was not injured in the shooting and was in the custody of social services workers, Brittany Cornett said.

College President Stephen Greiner said that at the time of the shooting, about 30 students were probably on campus. He said college staff responded quickly to the shooting, securing campus buildings to limit the impact.

"Our thoughts and sympathy are with the families of the victims of this tragedy," he said.

Police recovered the weapon, a semiautomatic pistol, at the scene, Allen said.

Jackie and Caitlin Cornett were already deceased when police arrived about 6 p.m., Allen said.

Conor Duff, the college's evening coordinator, said the outbreak of violence was startling.

"Everybody here's been pretty shook up," he said. "This is definitely something people around here are not used to. We have our fair share of problems, but normally this isn't one of them."

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/20600086/2-killed-in-shooting-on-ky-college-parking-lot

..Isn't this like..The third shooting in as many weeks? Or close?

More people trying to ride the wake of the last big one... How long until one happens that hits or even surpasses the attention of Newtown, and then people try to ride THAT wake... they are getting closer and closer together.

Realitycrash:

There are always a string of shootings after a high profile case. Hence why people keep telling the media to shut their faces up.

Kopikatsu:

Realitycrash:

There are always a string of shootings after a high profile case. Hence why people keep telling the media to shut their faces up.

Isn't it kind of counter intuitive to say the media needs to shut their faces about school shootings right after posting on R&P.

I think everyone is a little fed up with the gun threads and shooting threads. Of course I am of the opinion that we need to keep something fresh in our minds regarding the recent tragedies so something actually gets done in regards to safety from gun violence.

dmase:

Kopikatsu:

Realitycrash:

Isn't it kind of counter intuitive to say the media needs to shut their faces about school shootings right after posting on R&P.

I think everyone is a little fed up with the gun threads and shooting threads. Of course I am of the opinion that we need to keep something fresh in our minds regarding the recent tragedies so something actually gets done in regards to safety from gun violence.

I would bet a lot of money that nobody who reads this thread goes on a shooting spree based on the content of the OP. I would not make the same bet about nationally televised news programs.

Kopikatsu:

dmase:

Kopikatsu:

I would bet a lot of money that nobody who reads this thread goes on a shooting spree. I would not make the same bet about nationally televised news programs.

Also the shooter's name and face wasn't plastered everywhere, which the media tends to do.

... Seriously what the fuck.

As to why there's so many shootings, I'm operating on the assumption that it works on the same principle as suicide.

If you don't properly handle announcing suicide, you will see a spate of suicides after an initial one. Something about making the guy who committed suicide as a victim and giving him the sort of treatment that convinces people they would be better thought of postmortem.

Kopikatsu:

dmase:

Kopikatsu:

I would bet a lot of money that nobody who reads this thread goes on a shooting spree based on the content of the OP. I would not make the same bet about nationally televised news programs.

The people that decided to follow up this mass shooting weren't triggered by 1 instance of seeing an article on their facebook newsfeed or opening the newspaper. However by perpetuating public interest in shootings through shares and continued reading the media will continue to funnel this information to us. I agree with the statement that no one on these forums will go on a shooting spree because seeing this article and your post by continuing to raise interest in it you basically give cause for the media to continue these stories.

Kopikatsu:

Ehm, "nationally televised programs" versus "one particular thread on the internet" is such a loaded bet.

I get what you mean, and I agree that the media fascination with blood and body counts needs to stop, by the way. It's just that I don't like those bets.

It'll be interesting to learn the details on this one.

Do we have another case of "slow, often reloaded weapons" here like the last one posted on this forum? Do we have a case of a targeted shooting and they wanted to kill only a few particular people? I.e. was that even a spree shooting?
Why were there so few victims this time?

It's also kind of rarer to have more than one shooter. Wasn't Columbine the last time there were two attackers in a spree shooting in the USA or was there another shooting inbetween? If there wasn't, then that was more than a decade ago.

My thought process when I saw the topic title: "Two victims? Didn't we have a topic that alread... oh wait, new shooting already. Okay"

Anyway, can't wait to see the gun lobby finding ways to claim guns had nothing to do with this shooting, especially not with the part of, you know, shooting people.

Blablahb:
Anyway, can't wait to see the gun lobby finding ways to claim guns had nothing to do with this shooting, especially not with the part of, you know, shooting people.

I'll just go ahead and leave this here.

A minor spike in violence that I'm sure will quiet down soon enough. Nothing I'd really worry about and honestly just having this thread I feel is a bad thing. Can we please get some sort of gun mega-thread? The R&P section is filling up.

Yah, but this kind of thing happens a lot more than someone killing his mother, and then going to school and randomnly killing other students, the principal, etc. We don't know why he did it, and we may never find out.

The Connecticut thing got coverage because it was a big deal. Not to say that everything else is meaningless, but if the news reported how many people get killed everyday by gunshot or killing spree, we'd all be ready to die ourselves. Just saying that it'd be pretty miserable.

Skeleon:
It'll be interesting to learn the details on this one.

Do we have another case of "slow, often reloaded weapons" here like the last one posted on this forum? Do we have a case of a targeted shooting and they wanted to kill only a few particular people? I.e. was that even a spree shooting?
Why were there so few victims this time?

It's also kind of rarer to have more than one shooter. Wasn't Columbine the last time there were two attackers in a spree shooting in the USA or was there another shooting inbetween? If there wasn't, then that was more than a decade ago.

Well, more details are now known and added to the OP. It was a semi-automatic handgun, although make isn't mentioned. Believed to be caused by a domestic dispute, but no known relationship (if any) between the victims and shooter.

Kopikatsu:
However, the average number of deaths in school shootings are 22 a year in the US. So we have 21 to go before it starts to really kick off.

Don't worry, America. You have plenty of time to reach or succeed your average.

I wonder how many more video games we'll need to burn before this problem can be resolved.

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!?! REALLY?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!?

Christ above, this is insanity!

Kopikatsu:

dmase:

Kopikatsu:

Just to prove you wrong, I just went and shot up a school of herrings!

And this year is starting out crazy for US educational facilities.

From what little info there is it almost sounds like a drug deal gone bad >> Not saying it is, and I doubt it actually was, but it just happened to cross my mind when it mentioned two people shot and killed in their car with a third passenger wounded.

Lunar Shadow:
From what little info there is it almost sounds like a drug deal gone bad >> Not saying it is, and I doubt it actually was, but it just happened to cross my mind when it mentioned two people shot and killed in their car with a third passenger wounded.

Whelp, more of the story is out. Still a domestic dispute; but now we know the person who survived was a 12 year old girl.

so how long is it before the media blames video games?

I've got 20 bucks down that says this was a legally purchased handgun. Know what the sad thing is, like the really pathetic thing? Literally the only distinguishing thing about this is that it happened at a college. This is barely even newsworthy and its disgusting. We've gotten to the point where I'm not even surprised when I see the 2 dead in drive by shooting, domestic dispute suspected in cause. Please, for the love of Christ someone defend this. Someone stand up and say "This is just an anomaly". Tell me "handguns aren't dangerous". Tell me "more guns make for safer society". Come out and claim that people who have guns won't find cause to use them from time to time. Tell me, when multiple homicides are so commonplace as to be nearly an expectation that you should be free to have guns but I shouldn't be free from them. Tell me exactly why I should trust you not to panic and shoot me for no reason. Tell me what about the constitution is so infallible that I can't question it and tell me why you think that god himself wants you to have your guns. Tell me all that and maybe I'll start to consider your paranoid obsession that you NEED your gun as important as the security of my family and community.

This isn't a question of assault weapons. This isn't an issue of armor piercing rounds, or magazine capacity. This is an issue of giving people free access to dangerous killing machines and expecting that there isn't one person who's gonna use it to kill. You want to collect them? Fine, deactivate them or keep the ammo at a range. You want to shoot them for fun? Go for some nice safe target practice at a shooting gallery. You want to hunt? Fine, keep it tucked away, unloaded in a case and whip it out in a licenced hunting area. But your fun isn't more important than my life, and if its everyone or no one I pick no one.

Not sure I care much any more. Americans let this shit happen by defending the rights for private citizens to continue owning weapons for killing. It is not going stop; the nation doesn't learn from these incidents. It's like watching Darwin's laws in action.

I don't mean to insult, though I suppose some offence is intended for the purpose of making a point. But honestly I think it's past the point where anyone except the bereaved families give a damn. Columbine, take away guns? No. Virginia Tech, take away guns? No. Cinema shooting, take away guns? No. Conneticut shooting, take away guns? No. Own fault, don't learn, ignore solution, no longer sympathise.

As tragic as this is...lots more people get killed in frequent low-profile shootings than big ones that make the news.

I would also point out that the media, as well as everything else, likes to jump to the conclusion that the person was mentally ill. If there's a shooting in the Middle East, that's due to culture and local conditions and so on. If it's in the Anglosphere, the guy must have been crazy.

@KingsGambit
Yeah, I dunno. Not only are there plenty of Americans who try to stop this madness, pro-gun folks don't deserve to be killed, either. I sympathise. I'm just mostly resigned. It's a price many of them've repeatedly shown they're willing to pay for their toys (while also being willing to sell out on actual freedoms for the sake of safety). I don't understand it in the slightest, but that doesn't mean I don't sympathise with the victims. Little kids or young people being killed is awful, period.

@thaluikhain makes a good point, though. This whole gun control thing isn't just about killing sprees and school shootings (and this one wasn't even a spree shooting). But the people being killed every day are smaller, more incremental numbers. It's easier to see those as a statistic, while a massacre is more media heavy.

KingsGambit:
Not sure I care much any more. Americans let this shit happen by defending the rights for private citizens to continue owning weapons for killing. It is not going stop; the nation doesn't learn from these incidents. It's like watching Darwin's laws in action.

I don't mean to insult, though I suppose some offence is intended for the purpose of making a point. But honestly I think it's past the point where anyone except the bereaved families give a damn. Columbine, take away guns? No. Virginia Tech, take away guns? No. Cinema shooting, take away guns? No. Conneticut shooting, take away guns? No. Own fault, don't learn, ignore solution, no longer sympathise.

Columbine happened during an Assualt Weapons Ban and used illegal weapons. The Virginia Tech shooter used pistols, which no one is focused on. Connecticut has strict gun laws and an assualt weapons ban, and the killer also got his weapons illegally. Also, all of these happened in "gun free zones".

Now, no one talks about how the Oregon Mall shooter was confronted by a someone with a concealed weapon. No one talks about the Principal who shot a student who was attempting to shoot up his school. Also nevermind anyone mentioning that everytime a major shooting does happen, the media gives it so much overcoverage that leads to more shootings...

CaptainChip:
Columbine happened during an Assualt Weapons Ban and used illegal weapons. The Virginia Tech shooter used pistols, which no one is focused on. Connecticut has strict gun laws and an assualt weapons ban, and the killer also got his weapons illegally. Also, all of these happened in "gun free zones".

That's not a valid point. You can't compare the US to the US in terms of regulations. Gun free zones in a country where anyone can have a murder weapon in less than a day for little money, is doomed to only being marginally effective.

The valid answer to that is a national gun ban, which will prevent school shooting almost altogether, and less the lethality of such shootings by a lot.

Experiences in Belgium suggest the death toll would be more than cut in half for example. For the US that's at least 15.000 lives you save like that.

CaptainChip:
Now, no one talks about how the Oregon Mall shooter was confronted by a someone with a concealed weapon. No one talks about the Principal who shot a student who was attempting to shoot up his school. Also nevermind anyone mentioning that everytime a major shooting does happen, the media gives it so much overcoverage that leads to more shootings...

That's because for every one of those cases, gun possesion kills thousands.

Blablahb:

CaptainChip:

That's not a valid point. You can't compare the US to the US in terms of regulations. Gun free zones in a country where anyone can have a murder weapon in less than a day for little money, is doomed to only being marginally effective.

So why is it states such as New Hampshire and Vermont, where it would be easiest to get "murder weapons", have almost no homicides, while states such as California, New York, and Illinois with their strict gun control laws, have much higher homicide rates?

The valid answer to that is a national gun ban, which will prevent school shooting almost altogether, and less the lethality of such shootings by a lot.

I guess you missed the part where I mentioned Columbine shooting, which happened during a federal AWB?

Experiences in Belgium suggest the death toll would be more than cut in half for example. For the US that's at least 15.000 lives you save like that.

And what about countries such as Mexico, Brazil, and Columbia, who have extremely strict gun laws and extremely high homicide rates? Surely gun control should've fixed that?

CaptainChip:

I'm pretty sure it's for every shooting there is, there are thousands more examples of guns being used to prevent crimes.

Blablahb:

CaptainChip:

CaptainChip:

I agree that there is a violence problem in the country, but I don't think removing guns is the answer. The United States ranks #1 for gun ownership per capita, #33 for violent crime, and #109 for murder (per capita, of course.) Of course I want to reduce the levels of violence in the country, but clearly there isn't a very strong correlation between gun ownership and crime. Frankly, I think it's a cultural issue, not a guns issue.
By the way, implying that 30,000 people in the United States die from guns each year is a bold-faced lie. In 2010, 12,996 homocides were committed, 8,775 of which with a firearm of some description. Additionally, gun possession per capita has been steadily rising since the early 90's, and crime has been steadily falling. I don't mean to claim guns are responsible for the drop in crime, but they certainly aren't creating more of it. Another interesting tidbit, let's assume that every single homocide in the United States was committed with a gun. (patently false) Let's round it up to 13,000, for the sake of math. There are approximately 280 million legal guns in the country. That means approximately .00046% of guns are used to murder someone, assuming each person was murdered with a unique gun. Yes, clearly guns are the problem here.

Fooddude:
I agree that there is a violence problem in the country, but I don't think removing guns is the answer. The United States ranks #1 for gun ownership per capita, #33 for violent crime, and #109 for murder (per capita, of course.) Of course I want to reduce the levels of violence in the country, but clearly there isn't a very strong correlation between gun ownership and crime. Frankly, I think it's a cultural issue, not a guns issue.

Then how come the same is visible everywhere else too? The US has a low population density, but comparable countries and ones comparable in wealth score a lot worse.

Not just that, but the same elevated violence levels are visible in other gun cultures as well. Like the family drama rate in Switserland.

Also there's the blunt fact that many forms of crime, like gang wars or spree shootings, quite simply can not be perpetrated without firearms. (don't make the mistake of repeating the 'criminals don't disarm' myth, it's been covered before)

Fooddude:
By the way, implying that 30,000 people in the United States die from guns each year is a bold-faced lie. In 2010, 12,996 homocides were committed, 8,775 of which with a firearm of some description.

That's only a part. You also need to count of firearms suicides (Belgium has proven firearms impact suicide causally) and people murdered using firearms in a legalised fashion, for instance someone who murders a burglar with a firearm over $ 3 worth of goods. Also really need to count all agravated assaults with firearms because gunshot wounds are not a lot of fun, and anyone who was armed and shot by police as a result. Also you need to count accidental gun deaths, which is aproximately 110-120 children each year according to the CDC.

Also, your own numbers are off, because there were 11.078 firearms homicides for 2010, which forms the vast majority of the total of a little over 16.000. Never ever quote gun lobby sources. That their figures are made up, twisted or otherwise falsified is more the rule than the exception.

Blablahb:

Fooddude:

Then how come the same is visible everywhere else too? The US has a low population density, but comparable countries and ones comparable in wealth score a lot worse.

Not just that, but the same elevated violence levels are visible in other gun cultures as well. Like the family drama rate in Switserland.

Also there's the blunt fact that many forms of crime, like gang wars or spree shootings, quite simply can not be perpetrated without firearms. (don't make the mistake of repeating the 'criminals don't disarm' myth, it's been covered before)

Fooddude:
By the way, implying that 30,000 people in the United States die from guns each year is a bold-faced lie. In 2010, 12,996 homocides were committed, 8,775 of which with a firearm of some description.

That's only a part. You also need to count of firearms suicides (Belgium has proven firearms impact suicide causally) and people murdered using firearms in a legalised fashion, for instance someone who murders a burglar with a firearm over $ 3 worth of goods. Also really need to count all agravated assaults with firearms because gunshot wounds are not a lot of fun, and anyone who was armed and shot by police as a result. Also you need to count accidental gun deaths, which is aproximately 110-120 children each year according to the CDC.

Also, your own numbers are off, because there were 11.078 firearms homicides for 2010, which forms the vast majority of the total of a little over 16.000. Never ever quote gun lobby sources. That their figures are made up, twisted or otherwise falsified is more the rule than the exception.

I was quoting the FBI, fella. And there were 367 justifiable homicides, which are defined as "The killing of a felon by a peace officer in the line of duty. Or the killing of a felon, during the commission of a felony, by a private citizen." Notice it says "homicide," not "murder," which is defined as "The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse." With that in mind, stop being so intentionally inflammatory, in the case that you're not a troll, it really just hurts your cause. Adding those to the 138,403 aggravated assaults with firearms, that brings the total to a staggering... .005% of firearms used to attack another human being... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and add .001 to factor in accidental, and this is with a vast overestimation of murders committed by firearms.
I'm not going to include suicides, because you're delusional to think a lack of firearm would make someone not kill themselves. On Belgium, I did a cursory Wikipedia search to verify this, and I found the following quote: " Recently released figures by official Belgian authorities suggest a considerably higher rate of 53.1 persons (total) per 100,000 people per annum in 2009 (5,712 cases in a population of 10,749,000 (=10,666,866 as of 1 January 2008 increasing by 0,77% per annum.) as of 1st January 2009)." So... Perhaps not the best example.

Fooddude:
By the way, implying that 30,000 people in the United States die from guns each year is a bold-faced lie.

No it's not. He didn't claim it was homicides alone, although he should have been clearer, yes. That number includes suicides and accidents. Suicides make up a large percentage of that number, suicides that otherwise might not have been as efficient (quite often it takes a failed suicide attempt before people are found out and can receive treatment). Accidents are comparably rare, although it's always a saddening story when the occasional 3-year old dies because he shoots himself with his parents' gun accidentally or a dad kills his daughter coming home late at night because he thinks she's a burglar.

EDIT: Whoops, ninja'd. Wait, those answers were there for a long time. Why weren't they visible to me before?

EDIT:

And what about countries such as Mexico, Brazil, and Columbia, who have extremely strict gun laws and extremely high homicide rates? Surely gun control should've fixed that?

Mexico in particular is a funny case in that regard when you consider that a lot of firearms used in the drug wars are actually smuggled out of the USA. In addition to inadvertently providing the motive (the way the War on Drugs is handled), the USA also inadvertently provide a lot of the weapons there.

Skeleon:

Fooddude:
By the way, implying that 30,000 people in the United States die from guns each year is a bold-faced lie.

No it's not. He didn't claim it was homicides alone, although he should have been clearer, yes. That number includes suicides and accidents. Suicides make up a large percentage of that number, suicides that otherwise might not have been as efficient (quite often it takes a failed suicide attempt before people are found out and can receive treatment). Accidents are comparably rare, although it's always a saddening story when the occasional 3-year old dies because he shoots himself with his parents' gun accidentally or a dad kills his daughter coming home late at night because he thinks she's a burglar.

EDIT: Whoops, ninja'd. Wait, those answers were there for a long time. Why weren't they visible to me before?

EDIT:

Mexico in particular is a funny case in that regard when you consider that a lot of firearms used in the drug wars are actually smuggled out of the USA. In addition to inadvertently providing the motive (the way the War on Drugs is handled), the USA also inadvertently provide a lot of the weapons there.

So it would seem the solution is to end the War on Drugs, not to start a War on Guns.

dmase:

Kopikatsu:

Realitycrash:

No, but they do need to stop glorifying the shooters. They are the cause of these copycats.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked