The White House Releases New Gun Control Agenda

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gergar12:
[

Nanny state is a term of British origin (and primary use) that conveys a view that a government or its policies are overprotective or interfering unduly with personal choice.

I know what a bloody nanny state is, and it tends to be used by people who, for example, want to remove road rules or health checks/sanitation requirements for restaurants. I also very much resent the implication that because we have these regulations, somehow we are pussies who cannot defend our country.

Let see Video games ban,

gone as of twenty days ago, and you will note, we don't have calls for all video games to be censored due to their violence like the US

does all the paperwork to get a gun-interfering with getting a gun.

I agree with those regulations thanks very much.

Not even half of what i am talking about.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/the-backpacker/australia-the-great-nanny-state-20110503-1e6hf.html

Guy who thinks having minimum requirements for sanitation in restaurants, having road rules, being required to wear a seat belt and organizing protests is the impingement on his freedom. By the way, he points out that Australia is safer and works because of these regulations. Most of which are extant in the US

http://www.menzieshouse.com.au/2012/09/mychoice-australia-help-fight-the-nanny-state.html

A decent enough cause trying to go against the calls by others to institute stupid regulations. Note that many of the regulations are not actually extant or are instituted by, say a local school council. Just like in the US.

Australia-nanny state

If we are, than so is the US, Britain, Europe, Canada, etc etc. Unless your insanely high gun ownership is your measuring stick.

Also you guys have 100,000-200,000 illegals.

And a tiny, by comparison, overall population.

Compare that to the U.S having Between 7 million and 20 million unauthorized(illegal) immigrants

SO you want a gun to fight off illegal immigrants? What is this, the battle of Dorking?

I also doubt that our 21k border patrol agents can handle 150 thousand illegals getting into the U.s each year.

Then, as I keep saying, the solution is not to abandon the governmental responsibility for the safety of its people, the solution is reform. If the border control agency cannot do the job, allow them military assistance, I mean, you'd have a fuckton of experienced drone operators by now, let them surveil the border, maybe streamline the military into a slightly smaller, more capable entity and use the additional manpower and money to beef up domestic security. There are many ways to increase security that aren't handing out guns to random civilians (some of them thousands of Ks from Mexico by the way) and encouraging them to live in a culture of fear.

Gorfias:
Is there something wrong with NRA studies that find gun control worthless to harmfull?

Is there anything wrong with Brady Campaign studies that find gun control effective and required?

TechNoFear:

Gorfias:
Is there something wrong with NRA studies that find gun control worthless to harmfull?

Is there anything wrong with Brady Campaign studies that find gun control effective and required?

This does display the problem with statistics. People use them to confirm their biases. I think many people join the Brady movement because they are true believers (while others are in it because, well, it is a job). I want people here understanding many people join the NRA for the same reason (and I understand others support the NRA because it is connected to their job too). On a regular basis, including in this thread which set off this particular chain, I am advised studies from the NRA are to be ignored. I think that is unfair and that people need to know they exist and they find gun control not only an assault on freedom and the preparation for tyranny, but anywhere from worthless to harmful to the very people they are meant to protect.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked