47.7% (31)
Sometimes
30.8% (20)
30.8% (20)
Other
7.7% (5)
7.7% (5)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: On why Evil Geniuses can control the world's governments [Saying Goodbye to the Forum.]

I want to share with you an interesting piece of information I swirled around in my mind for the last few minutes. This relates to the global nature of our world, global (*wink*) warming, revolutions and evil geniuses.

Hopefully this hook is enough for you to stay. If not -

[Racism, Imperialism, Communism, Liberalism, Monarchism, Sexism, Dictatorships, Pizza]

There. Hopefully it's enough.

This one starts from several ideas that I had in mind. The first one is the role of food in our society and everyday lives. We internet folk almost unanimously consider food to be something that is static in our life. It's everywhere - from markets to restaurants, and it's also shamelessly affordable. Shame on you - eating that third cheeseburger in a row while an African child dies of starvation. But we're not talking about that (or the increasing problem of obesity that is just comically ironic when you look at how many people die a year from starvation), are we?

Nowadays food is mass produced by a smaller than ever 'farmer' population. Using new technologies the farmer can increase its yield and create more tortillas for us to eat. We have advanced food-supplying networks, from the land to our local supermarkets.... And no, I'm not going to describe that chain. It's too damn long. Actually... one other reason for this low food cost, perhaps in SOME countries *cough* USA *cough* are government subsidies of certain agricultural goods to steer farmers towards growing crop A or B. This is mostly harmful because land processing isn't designed in that way (to keep using the same crop year after year with no variations). In fact, the reliance on corn, wheat and soy as our basic foodstuff cause me to draw some worrying comparisons with the Irish potato famine of the 19th century. Sorry, no jokes here.

So we have food aplenty and sophisticated ways to transport them. Great, that's why we're number one! So what happens when we start having less food? Hmm... 'How is that possible?', you might ask. Here comes Global Warming to ruin your day. Even if nearly scientists agree that this phenomenon occurs, we can be safe in our assumptions that droughts do occur, right? They did occur way before the steam engine. Because of said phenomenon, a large scale event can lower yields of certain foodstuff. Even though we've conquered the genetic code, we never got around to taming that darn weather. Recently we've seen freak weather and food prices affected by it.

Alright, so food prices go up a bit, what's the problem? Oh. Then you've never lived a life where the second or first largest expense in your budget is your food. This ties to a trend of rising energy prices (woo, Oil!) that make food prices even higher (remember that sophisticated way to transport food we have?), and make living expenses higher.

This in turn makes us more aware to food and its availability. Said drought reduces the amount of food in stock, and drives up the price. Some people who once took food for granted now have to be careful with their money, or else... Then the resentment starts to settle in. General anger directed at anything that could withstand the impact. Your life is getting harder, and there's always someone else to blame. Who is that someone? Maybe it's the government! They control it all, why not impose a monopoly on it? Why not subsidize food and energy? Well, why not elect a government that promises us that? [That said, this a democracy we're talking about.]

Secondly, We are all hobbits. Err, I meant to say - Creatures of Habit. We have our schedules in our day, what to do and what not to do during that time. We like it because it brings us comfort - we control our destiny and we will know exactly what we will do two days from now on 3:20 PM (barring an alien invasion, or an underground mole-people expedition).

When the future is uncertain, we get nervous. Some of us like to revel in the thought of existence after death, while others have to face the damning emptiness that is the end. Fear is a force to be reckoned with, and it can drive people to do extreme things.

Your schedule shatters when certain events come into place - you lose your job, you move into a new place, your girlfriend found out you were cheating her with her mother you and she tried to stab you, you know - the usual stuff. To try and prevent that you have safety nets. Some are natural - from your family and friends, but others are not - like the almighty government.

A government, like any other depressed alcoholic treasury bureaucrat would say, operates similarly to a bank. It collects money from people, keeps it for itself, uses it to build infrastructure or anything else it's responsible for (Some countries have state sanctioned electricity monopolies, water monopolies, prostitution monopolies, corruption monopolies, and so on and so forth) and also controls certain programs. These programs most commonly named as Welfare and Defense. They are state sanctioned monopolies that in some cases are only partial and can be met with 'free market' ""competition"" (all of those insurance companies lining up to receive your money and walk away the moment they spot trouble, or those mercenaries... *shudders*). As a bank, it is also required to do a few things - turn a profit for their investors, and keep that money relatively safe.

The expenses in a government's budget can be offset by income made from collecting taxes and traffics. If some expenses still remain, no worries - more money can be borrowed. After all, if you're a large country with a strong economy, no lender would refuse to give you money for a loan - you're a sure bet! Certain programs the government runs secure your future as a citizen. They allow you to put some money away - just a little every month, so that at the end of the line you will have some money hoarded and you could retire happily. There's just one problem - the money that is in the system, like in a bank, is mostly virtual. For example - if a large amount of people come to a bank where they have an account and demand to close it and withdraw their money, the bank will shut its doors. That's because while it is holding money it is also making bets with it. Money it only has 'in theory'. The same can be said with the government, its changing leaders, and its changing policies.

In an unknown political climates, fear reigns supreme, and people cling to stability of any kind.

Thirdly, dissent and unrest can boil over and cause an overthrowing of the ruler if the right terms are met. Dissent descends from dissatisfaction with government policies, past failures, financial insecurity, limited or no political and/or civil rights, the right to freely smoke dope, and so on and so forth. If your habit is disrupted, you feel something is amiss. Rising living costs alarm you of some problem and make your life harder to handle. Economies that are slowing down have high unemployment ratings, and a lot of people who can't find work and support themselves are a lot of angry folk. Furthermore, when a country finds itself in a financial tight spot, it can keep on borrowing or make some changes (cut spending or increase revenue). It always hurts the population in one way or another. A country can amass so much debt it could not hope to return it, and might even default on its loans. This can throw the local financial market into a deep black pit of despair and wetness.

Protests can be subdued by the rulers if they so please by using their armed forces (the police or the military). However if this force is not loyal to the administration, they could turncoat. It is, after all, made out of people. Issues such as political reform can arise, but other groups can also take momentum - nationalists, fascists, communists, religious fundamentalists and a range of other solutions (ideologies, ho!) to a problem that the people think it is quite excellent before they start to implement it.

An example to this can be France. Yes, France had suffered for years of income inequality, oppression and financial misfortune. Their expeditions in other countries had made them indebted to creditors that want their money back, or else... Ideas of reforms start to pop up, but it's either unfeasible or too little and too late. A wave of droughts and hailstorms floods causes food supply to be irregular. The transportation systems of said food to the population urban zones had become much more troublesome...

Does it sound familiar? If it does, then you know what's next...

The Guillotine! Aye, I'm talking about the 1789 French revolution that lasted for around an extremely bloody decade. This is what happens when you let the mob lead by intellectuals rule the country.

Murder. Lots and lots of murder.

This, though unfeasible nowadays, can occur in other countries who are not that well off as yours. Most internet dwellers don't come from countries such as Niger, Ethiopia, Cambodia or Syria, and in those and similar countries the chance for a violent change of a regime is likely if the necessary terms are met.

A recent example can be Syria. Sure, you can say that it's 'the Arab spring', which is a fancy word for an overall spectacular failure (compared to European, USA and commonwealth standards) and change of local geo-politics... but what caused this? Well, the country had been suffering for a long time beforehand. The economy was mostly in the shitter, with unemployment ratings at around 20-25%, and a state run economy that was so tied up with red tap it kept tripping over itself. Add to that the oppressive government system and the solidarity movement to revolutionary anti-government protests in other nations, people were inspired and so they took to the streets...

And then they got shot. I can understand people who want to still have Assad. He symbolizes stability, in a way - after he is defeated, the parties involved will start to fight over the rights for this land and their ideologies often come to an impasse when trying to find common ground between each other. Foreign nations will interfere to try and reshape the new Syria, and it will turn into a bloody mess (again).

Obviously an evil genius could by now be able to make a weather machine, create localized droughts in key places around the world for a decade and just see how it all falls like a house of cards. On the other hand he could also blackmail the world's governments to avoid giving them bad weather, and get some money for hitting enemy nations hard.

With that said, now I can explain to you why Evil Geniuses can control the world's governments... with the use of weather machines!

Best of luck out there, despite almost never agreeing with you, you were always good to have around. I hope we'll see you around some times.

As for the evil geniussus, the solution is the same it always is. Depopulate the planet, we'll be able to easily keep up our standards of living if there's only a few (hundred) million of us left.

I'm mainly a lurker around this subforum but you have always made interesting reading, especially your posts from an Israeli perspective, so good luck. May you one day return to these parts.

I will miss your daily messages kicking me from games to give me a link to some pointless rehash of various escapist-topics.

*salute*

See you in what, half a year? Two years? eh.. Whenever you get internet.

I actually read that entire massive post, only for you to end it with 'Oh, and I'm getting enlisted against my will'?
Sort of..Depressing, really. I wish you the best of luck.

As for the OT (if we can call it such): Yes, small causes can lead to big disasters. That's why stable institutions and diplomatic-relationships are important. However, with Global Warming, this can indeed snowball..

And now R&P has lost another gem. As a lurker in over his head when it comes to many-a political discussion i found your posts to be excellent and insightful.

Good luck

Ive seen you around (though mostly as a lurker.) I dont think I always agreed with your pots, but I've always liked your avatar though. ^^

Justin Wong, Ricky Ortiz, PR Rog and Floe are going to control the government?

Who is going to confirm (read: destroy) my local new's misconceptions about Israeli politics?

Kind regards from a Lurker

Ah, TheIronRuler, I never had the chance to talk with you due to my lurker status but I always enjoyed your posts.
Always giving opinions so full of passion, burning the fire of the discussions, moving the threads from the escapists' forums making them feel, just almost, as they were alive.

I was an ignorant about anything from your country. I probably still am, but a little less ignorant now thanks to you. I thank you for bringing your views and life experiences from your corner of the world, specially on the R&P section of the forums where the 'west view' is so predominant.

You'll not be forgotten. Not by me.

With that said, I wish you good luck and be safe so that one day, perhaps, you can join us once again.
Farewell, TheIronRuler.

Well, be that as it may, I've already thought long and hard about how Reality Warping Espers with unlimited godlike powers could easily conquer the world. Everybody panic, please!

Will probably be educational to see how the enemies on the other side live. I'd have stuck to the potatoes though, less personal risk for more or less questionable causes there. Best of luck, statistically you should be fine.

I wish you good luck in the military and if things go well you can log back in a couple of years.

Thanks for your contributions and goodbye for now.

Good fortune in your future endeavors Iron Ruler. I hope to see more from your newly battleworn, but intact, arse at some point in the future.

JoJo:
I'm mainly a lurker around this subforum but you have always made interesting reading, especially your posts from an Israeli perspective, so good luck. May you one day return to these parts.

I was actually about to post exactly this. I don't post a lot on this subforum (or any of them actually) but everytime I see one of your posts I was always interested in what you had to say.

So fair well, good luck and I hope you one day return.

itsthesheppy:

Heh, you forgot EG_Idra.

AstroSmash:

itsthesheppy:

Heh, you forgot EG_Idra.

I only know their fighting game team. :)

aways found your post insightful and interesting
once again a lurker
but still best of luck
hope you can enjoy your self in the army or what ever name you have for it in isreal

TheIronRuler:
All that shit. By, you.

Enjoy that Green Weenie brother. Not so awesome being on the receiving end is it?

Ya'll come back now, y'hear?

Good luck. Learned a lot from you, dude.

As far as evil weather control, has anyone ever read State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Made me into a climate denier very, very briefly. Eco terrorists changing the weather for profit!

nevermind

See you again in a couple of months, just like Katatori...

And yeah, radicals like Hitler tend to come to power because of shit economies and living conditions for the average person. Food, water and other resources could quite easily cause a lot of conflict in the future if population continues to increase and technology isn't allowed to improve (i.e., if the anti-GM lobby wins).

Interestingly enough, water/food probably makes up about the second most expensive part of my budget, the first most expensive being accommodation. It's not as hard as you might think if you make sensible choices.

retracted :(

Hopefully we will see you sooner rather than later.

And yes, Evil Geniuses can and do control the world's governments, actually they don't even have to be "Geniuses", they just have to be willing to allow others to do without to elevate themselves, I am not sure if anyone would be surprised by that, considering the wealthy rule the world, and when you look at what people had to do to get there, it should be no surprise that the governments they control aren't exactly in the best interest of humanity.

Also, No I do not lie on polls, and only vote once, though it is annoying when people vote multiple times just to skew the results.

Gorr:
Who is going to confirm (read: destroy) my local new's misconceptions about Israeli politics?

Kind regards from a Lurker

I'll take that job. I can make up all the interesting facts about Israel you'll ever need to know! Were you aware that in Israel, buses are made specially so they are always travelling in reverse? The reason most people don't see it is because the cosmetic aspects are designed to make it look as if the bus is travelling forwards.

OT: Catch you around, bro. Don't get shot. If possible, try not to shoot anyone else. See you in a few years.

Later dude.

Hope you make some new friends in the army. I was in when I was young, but got out just before 9/11. I found it was best when talking to other people in the military to either be very reserved in what I said or keep my mouth shut. But again, hopefully you find a friend.

A government, like any other depressed alcoholic treasury bureaucrat would say, operates similarly to a bank. It collects money from people, keeps it for itself, uses it to build infrastructure or anything else it's responsible for (Some countries have state sanctioned electricity monopolies, water monopolies, prostitution monopolies, corruption monopolies, and so on and so forth) and also controls certain programs. These programs most commonly named as Welfare and Defense. They are state sanctioned monopolies that in some cases are only partial and can be met with 'free market' ""competition"" (all of those insurance companies lining up to receive your money and walk away the moment they spot trouble, or those mercenaries... *shudders*). As a bank, it is also required to do a few things - turn a profit for their investors, and keep that money relatively safe.

Looks at Carlos Slim. Yep pretty much.

Interesting post. I would like to see more food for all people. Why is that so hard to do?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked