Societies Priorities

Pages PREV 1 2

micahrp:
If I may ask, have you considered the consequences of universalizating the acts you are contrasting? Universalization, as far as i've ever seen, is the best test if an act is moral or not.

I very strongly disagree with universalisation, it seems a useful way of demonising minorities and little else. You could say that, for example, being a doctor is immoral because society needs people who aren't doctors by that sort of logic.

HardkorSB:
You can be Steve Jobs but when reality hits you, you're fucked.

In fact, false beliefs may cause reality to hit you all the harder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8841347/Steve-Jobs-regretted-trying-to-beat-cancer-with-alternative-medicine-for-so-long.html

HardkorSB:

Darken12:
Reality has always mattered less than beliefs and ideas.

Not really.
You can believe whatever you want but if you get hit by a car or get cancer or a tsunami hits your city, your beliefs and ideas will matter less than jack shit.
You can be Steve Jobs but when reality hits you, you're fucked.

And what does it matter, when you have created a legacy that will outlast you? We all die eventually, and it can happen just as sudden as you describe, but you can make peace with that fact if you know that you have created something of value, improved the world in some way, crafted a legacy to be proud of, or simply touched someone's life for the better. Reality will always fuck you over, sooner or later, and it will always dance on your grave in the end. What matters is what you do with the time you got, and that's where ideas and beliefs matter the most.

thaluikhain:

micahrp:
If I may ask, have you considered the consequences of universalizating the acts you are contrasting? Universalization, as far as i've ever seen, is the best test if an act is moral or not.

I very strongly disagree with universalisation, it seems a useful way of demonising minorities and little else. You could say that, for example, being a doctor is immoral because society needs people who aren't doctors by that sort of logic.

Is saying "and little else" a way of demonizing those that use it and close ones mind to how it can be used? Our brains are forecast engines and this is a useful tool for forecasting. Universalization should be used by every person when they come across a new situation for the first time to baseline the direction of that new situation. Unfortunately it is taught way too late (if at all) and gullability has allowed the base of many stances to become ingrained.

As for the specific instance case, are you testing for Doctor as in the profession or as in the ability set? We could all be doctors in the ability set and we would all be our own patients and would not need the profession, so we would have plenty of time for additional ability sets and jobs. I would state this just shows that the abilities of the profession are good for everyone to know.

We can then just change Doctor to a less helpful job, but the general univeral question that should have been answered before picking the profession is, "Should I get a job?" Which leads to the discussion on what if we all don't work and what if we all do work. How many of those singled out groups can even begin the discussion on the higher level root question of their stance or do they work their hardest to close their minds at that point and stamp out the question?

This is just a hypocrisy test tool. All it does is point out hypocrisy that people have when they take actions directly against the continuous society, but get mad when they don't receive the benefits of the continuous society.

Is everyone who has taken a stance on something a hypocrit? That is a discussion for tomatoes and suspension bridges.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked