Who should have control of the Falklands?
The UK
90.8% (177)
90.8% (177)
Argentina
7.7% (15)
7.7% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The Falklands - Who should it belong to?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Nielas:

adamsaccount:
Surely they could do something like allowing Argentinians to settle without visas, though personally i find it hard to believe that a war was fought over these islands with the main population being sheep. Why do Britain or Argentina even want these islands, i can understand the Falklanders wanting to remain British if they were raised as such but then again if they want to be live in Britain shouldnt they just move to Britain? It just seems like a post imperialistic hang up that isnt really worth anyones time.

Do Argentinians even want to settle there? The islands do not seem to have a big enough economy to require a population influx.

The islanders want to remain on the islands because it is their home. They want to remain British because they feel that Britain is offering them a much better support than Argentina ever would. Why should they leave their home or change their nationality because Argentina has a nationalistic hangup that isn't really worth anyone's time?

Well thats a good point, the decision should remain in the falkanders hands but having said that when i look at a map i cant help but wonder why britain is the one in charge over there.

adamsaccount:
Well thats a good point, the decision should remain in the falkanders
hands but having said that when i look at a map i cant help but wonder why britain is the one in charge over there.

The British gained the islands due to standard imperialist policies in the previous centuries. It is the same reason why they had Canada, Australia or India. The Spanish had most of South America and Portugal had Brazil. The reason why they still have the islands is because the islanders never really pushed to go their own way. They are too small to form their own nation and did not want to become part of Argentina. There was no indigenous population on the islands so all the claims to the islands are based on which European power had a settlement there first and for many people that is trumped by the wishes of the people living there now.

It has been suggested that Britain was going to turn over the islands to Argentina purely as a cost cutting measure but then the Argentinians invaded first and the British had to respond to such blatant attack.

adamsaccount:
Surely they could do something like allowing Argentinians to settle without visas, though personally i find it hard to believe that a war was fought over these islands with the main population being sheep. Why do Britain or Argentina even want these islands, i can understand the Falklanders wanting to remain British if they were raised as such but then again if they want to be live in Britain shouldnt they just move to Britain? It just seems like a post imperialistic hang up that isnt really worth anyones time.

Why should the British concede anything too the Argentines though? if someone walks up to you, claims to own your house, breaks in and pisses all over the furniture, why offer them a room?

the clockmaker:

adamsaccount:

Why should the British concede anything too the Argentines though? if someone walks up to you, claims to own your house, breaks in and pisses all over the furniture, why offer them a room?

You cant really own a country like you own a house though.

Im all for falkand people self determining(?) but there were about 900 deaths in the Falklands war and it only has a population of about 2000. It just doesn't seem worth fighting over is what im trying to say.

Basically I dont give a shit so much that im on the internet telling people that I dont give a shit.

adamsaccount:

the clockmaker:

adamsaccount:

You cant really own a country like you own a house though.

Im all for falkand people self determining(?) but there were about 900 deaths in the Falklands war and it only has a population of about 2000. It just doesn't seem worth fighting over is what im trying to say.

Basically I dont give a shit so much that im on the internet telling people that I dont give a shit.

The point is, just because the other side really wants to violate your sovereignty is not a reason to allow them to do so.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked