Pope Benedict the 16th to resign by end of month

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

Our Pope, His holiness Pope Benedict the 16th, had declared that he will resign from his office at the holy see at the end of this month in an unexpected turn of events. The next bishop of Rome is to be selected as soon as possible after the retirement of his holiness Pope Benedict the 16th in the college of cardinals, where a secretive vote will commence. This can be a change for the better, depending on the newly elected Pope that will succeed the current one.

What do you think about this?

When they brought in Pope Benedict, he was already a pretty old guy. Kind of a curmudgeon and nowhere near as charismatic as JPII. It was my theory that he was selected to be an "in-between" pope, and that someone better would eventually come along. I'm actually kind of surprised he's still here.

And of course I post in the one dupe thread out of like five that has zero posts.

A bit of a tangent, but why is the choice of Pope a vote? I'm not religious but wouldn't it make more sense for a lottery or something, to put the decision into God's hands and not those of people?

The flame in those comments is off the charts by the way, well worth a read.

OT: he's just going to be replaced with another complete fucking moron that is stuck about 2 centuries behind everyone else. I don't know a single Catholic who likes the actual organisation of the Catholic church, and the Pope and the Vatican are the epitome of everything that is wrong with RC.

Samantha Burt:
A bit of a tangent, but why is the choice of Pope a vote? I'm not religious but wouldn't it make more sense for a lottery or something, to put the decision into God's hands and not those of people?

They do that somewhat in the Coptic church. The top three candidates are put in a jar and a blind kid picks out the winner.

Samantha Burt:

I agree, that would make much more sense as a godly influenced decision.

Today in the news there was the local cardinal saying "god has already chosen the next pope" and all I could think of was why they then would need an election. Is this the one time where the god-given free will is suspended and every cardinal is forced to only vote for the god-chosen candidate? But to make it less obvious that it was a god-influenced decision it's not going to be unanimous but maybe just a small majority?

You know what? I think I'm actually going to start a another splinter-group. I shall call it Lotteranism and I'm going to choose the antipope via a random blind pick off the yellow pages.
All hail pope Greg's Rodent Termination and Locksmith Emporium I.!

Samantha Burt:

The idea and commonly accepted reason is that god would guide the voters to make the right decision. These men are after all those most in touch with the divine.

The fact that a vote is more convenient for the sake of power grubbing has also been a factor. Bribes, extortion, and vote fraud have been a major part of past elections.

He was old and likely had health issues. Or he may not have had health issues and the church is looking to replace him with someone that is better suited to the upcoming generations. His portfolio isn't very relate-able at all with our generation.

Benedicts views were pretty extreme conservative my guess is they are going to try someone more liberal to solidify their power more. They have seen the direction the wind is blowing in political trends recently.

The response from the Catholics who actually have some sense has arrived.

I would hope for a Pope that actually tries to move the Catholic Church into the 21st century rather than having a go at women that decide to have abortions, or covering up priests in their clergy that molest children.

But I guess that's just a pipe dream, and I'm an Atheist anyway, so why should I care how many African babies die because Pope Hypocritical Bigot the 17th is too narrow-minded to realize that saving people from diseases is more important than saving people from having sex for reasons other than making even more babies that are just going to die anyway because they live in a Third World shithole?

Relish in Chaos:
I would hope for a Pope that actually tries to move the Catholic Church into the 21st century rather than having a go at women that decide to have abortions, or covering up priests in their clergy that molest children.

But I guess that's just a pipe dream, and I'm an Atheist anyway, so why should I care how many African babies die because Pope Hypocritical Bigot the 17th is too narrow-minded to realize that saving people from diseases is more important than saving people from having sex for reasons other than making even more babies that are just going to die anyway because they live in a Third World shithole?

Woah woah woah, the Catholic Church just moved into the enlightenment a few decades ago. They are old men, you can't rush it!
Comedic hyperbole of course, before anyone starts to get his rage-pants on.

But anyway, it looks like the most likely candidates are mainly African and Latin American cardinals (oh the racist humanity!), which unfortunately makes them even more conservative than pope Palpatine.

Quaxar:
than pope Palpatine.

Always two there are, A master and an apprentice....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277415/Pope-Benedict-XVI-resigns-Pontiff-interfere-choosing-successor.html

"Two 'Popes' in Rome ? Fears grow of Catholic church split as Benedict says he won't interfere... but will step in if needed after retirement".

on a more serious note i find it odd that such a supposed traditionalist (former head of "the inquisition" no less) would opt out of the somewhat central tradition of the office being for life.

i mean hasn't he supposedly been chosen by God ? (via the papal conclave and his "mysterious ways" ofc)

afaik that is the central claim from which the papacy derives its supposed legitimacy.
Bishop of Rome, direct successor of Saint Peter, chosen and tasked by God to lead The Church.

"sorry God i'm a bit knackered. please pick someone else." is not a line i particularly remember from the Bible...
...well there are maybe a few waiverers but generally it's "God speaks. you do." isn't it ?

really not getting the whole "retirement" angle in that light...

and to do what ? he's still going to be "around" and part of the church and that's gonna cause shitloads of problems given that which i outline above is afaik basically the dogma/doctrine of the church as it stands and people are gonna argue and split over papal legitimacy questions when there are "Two 'Popes'".

i feel downright sorry for John Paul II given the state they were wheeling him about in towards the end...if this is apparently an acceptable course of action...but then John Paul II wouldn't have retired would he ?...

whole thing seems pretty feckin weird tbth.

also, just for all you religious folk, (according to the DM) this happened the same day Pope Benedict XVI announced his resignation...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked