What do you think of Pitbulls?
They're bad. They're naturally aggressive.
13.6% (17)
13.6% (17)
They're good. It depends on the owner.
72% (90)
72% (90)
Other/No Opinion.
14.4% (18)
14.4% (18)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What do you think of Pitbulls? (Dogs)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I'm shopping around for a new addition to my household and it is startling just how many adorable, lovable and temperate pitbulls there are in animal shelters.

This is mostly due to the controversy surrounding the breed.

On the issue, people mostly fall into two camps:

First camp says that Pitbulls were bred to be aggressive fighters and are dangerous. Thus they shouldn't be kept as pets and should probably be put down.

The latter camp says that aggressive pitbulls are more often than not the result of bad ownership and any large dog can be dangerous when they have bad owners.

Where do you stand on this issue?

Just avoid Pitbull Terriers, it is one of those miraculously stupid breeds of dogs that combines a naturally protective and ferocious dog (the pitbull) with a skittish, posturing dog (terriers) which leads to the kind of aggressive fighting dog that people generally disdain. Pitbulls themselves are much like Rottweilers or Dobermans in that they require a strong owner to keep them in line but when properly trained are pretty harmless, much more so than many smaller dogs.

My suggestion would be this: If it is your first dog, don't opt for Pitbull. Go for a smaller and more docile dog. If you've got experience raising and training dogs then Pitbulls provide both a satisfactory companion to teach and train with as well as a good "social" dog.

I'm not getting a pitbull. Because in the city I live in, they're outlawed. No really, they are.

They are really sweet from what I've seen though.

And on the topic of other dogs, I've never seen a small dog that I would ever consider to be "docile." Most, if not all, small dogs I've seen are high energy.

You aren't seriously considering a dog bred only to kill, are you?!

Just look at how many sharp, pointy teeth it has! Only the police should be allowed these high capacity dogs. Owners of the deadly Pittbull should have their dogs teeth pulled to ensure it doesn't go on a killing spree. Why does a domesticated dog need so many teeth anyway, unless you're planning to use it for dog - fighting or to murder an intruder in "self - defense"? Don't even get me started on their cropped ears. All dogs with assault ears should be registered and the property routinely checked by the police to ensure proper storage of the animal.

Anyone who owns a Pitbull wants to see little children maimed and killed. You should be ashamed.

Mr.BadExample:

Just look at how many sharp, pointy teeth it has! Only the police should be allowed these high capacity dogs. Owners of the deadly Pittbull should have their dogs teeth pulled to ensure it doesn't go on a killing spree. Why does a domesticated dog need so many teeth anyway, unless you're planning to use it for dog - fighting or to murder an intruder in "self - defense"? Don't even get me started on their cropped ears. All dogs with assault ears should be registered and the property routinely checked by the police to ensure proper storage of the animal.

Anyone who owns a Pitbull wants to see little children maimed and killed. You should be ashamed.

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not...

I hate all dogs. Especially my brother's, who seems to be a particularly impaired variety of pitbull mixed with something else. I'll let the stupid thing out of the house to do its business, and it will happily run around the yard for a half hour, then come back indoors to immediately leave a mess on the carpet. No matter what I do, I cannot convince it that my feet are not meant to be chewed on. I legitimately hate that dog.

RatherDull:

Mr.BadExample:

pretty sure its all tongue in cheek that spills the common arguments/issues from gun control (hot topic in the past months) over now into "dog control" if you will.

Ryotknife:

RatherDull:

Mr.BadExample:

pretty sure its all tongue in cheek that spills the common arguments/issues from gun control (hot topic in the past months) over now into "dog control" if you will.

Oh, I didn't even make that connection. I must be tired.

A dog's personality is malleable enough that there are no breeds too dangerous to own. Hell, I would even state that there are few members of the Canidae family, domesticated or otherwise, that are by default too dangerous to have as a pet (although the circumstances for responsible ownership get significantly more strict outside of the domesticated species)

With that said, there are some breeds of dog, pitbulls included, that tend to be more difficult to handle for those not used to training canines. In my experience, most highly aggressive dogs have owners that either bit off more than they could chew, and/or did not care enough to train them properly.

Personally, I dislike the breed on the basis of both looks and common personality. They're more than friendly enough when brought up well, but fail to get along with other animals, and are just a wee bit too codependent on their family. They also are a bit lacking in the intelligence department.

I'm more a fan of the the "working class" breeds, such as the Siberian Husky or Belgian tervuran.

Heronblade:
A dog's personality is malleable enough that there are no breeds too dangerous to own. Hell, I would even state that there are few members of the Canidae family, domesticated or otherwise, that are by default too dangerous to have as a pet (although the circumstances for responsible ownership get significantly more strict outside of the domesticated species)

With that said, there are some breeds of dog, pitbulls included, that tend to be more difficult to handle for those not used to training canines. In my experience, most highly aggressive dogs have owners that either bit off more than they could chew, and/or did not care enough to train them properly.

Other than Rottweilers, German Shepherds and other dominant breeds, what are some other breeds that are more difficult to handle?

Heronblade:

Or are the kind of arseholes who want an aggressive, barely controlable dog and should be shot before they ruin a perfectly good dog.

RatherDull:

Heronblade:

Other than Rottweilers, German Shepherds and other dominant breeds, what are some other breeds that are more difficult to handle?

All of those bred for fighting have some personality issues, but aside from that:

Huskies/malamutes: not too surprising, they're more like their wolven cousins than most breeds. Great dogs if you can handle them and their high levels of energy, extremely loyal and fun to be around, but if not...

Chow Chows: Unusually aggressive breed, especially coming from what looks like a ball of fluff (maybe they get tired of people calling them cute?)

Great Danes: They're naturally quite friendly, but are known to get nasty with poor treatment, and at around 130-150 pounds, it isn't hard for things to get out of hand.

All in all however, I'd say the most important factor is what a person is looking for in a dog. Any breed can and will get out of hand if mistreated, and one of the best ways to avoid that is to think about both the environment you'll be bringing this animal into, and the environment it was "made" for. For example, having a sheep dog in a small apartment for any length of time is asking for trouble.

RhombusHatesYou:

Heronblade:

Or are the kind of arseholes who want an aggressive, barely controlable dog and should be shot before they ruin a perfectly good dog.

That too, although I've had the good fortune to not end up dealing with too many of those people.

RatherDull:

That all depends on what you mean by 'difficult to handle'.

Any dog that's needs and/or personality don't fit your lifestyle will end up difficult to handle.

For example, working breeds such as the Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) need to be worked or exercised far more than most people are willing to give time for and without it they get bored and become very destructive (out of boredom).

Heronblade:
Chow Chows: Unusually aggressive breed, especially coming from what looks like a ball of fluff (maybe they get tired of people calling them cute?)

That's because a lot of people don't realise that they were originally bred as guard dogs.

Gethsemani:
Just avoid Pitbull Terriers

Errr... Pitbull is just the shortened name... the full name is the American Pitbull Terrier.

im a dog person and until fairly recently ive always owned dogs. pitbulls though i dont trust and they are the only brred of dog i dont. hell ive been the victim of a dog attack from a german shepard and ended up in hospital but i still trust them more than pitbulls. they tend to have a nasty habit of snapping and they dont get along with other animals well. they are a fighting dog and it shows

RatherDull:

Mr.BadExample:

I think "high-capacity dogs" was the clue there ;-P

Anyway, I'm of the feeling that you should "blame the deed, not the breed" as they say. Any dog raised poorly is going to be a nuisance and possibly a danger, and any dog raised well is going to be a great and faithful companion. You just have to know what you're getting into and have a plan from the get-go. I imagine you'll be going to a breeder to get the pitbull, so before you sign the papers spend some time talking to them and getting to know things about the breed.

dog breeds have been specifically bred over millenia to have certain characteristics and to serve certain purposes.

imo ultimately this means some breeds which have been bred for unsavoury purposes are simply not suitable as casual family pets.

simply put that's not what they are supposed to be and that's not what they are.

that said i like some dogs and some dogs make good "pets".

but them even being "pets" is a relatively new thing.
before we arrived at this reasonably comfortable existence these animals were first and foremost working animals.

i dislike "wee yappy dugs" but then those are "deformed mutants" of an unnaturally small size for what they are and so the fact they are barely mentally there isn't really their fault as much as it is ours.

slightly larger terriers are different. those are vermin killers (including rabbits). even down to being bred to favour a certain way of killing their prey. that shake something from side to side to kill it thing they do enables them to kill something by breaking their necks or back and thus not standing on and chomping or tearing it to death and their small bodys size enables them to chase where larger breeds could not. i don't include them in with the "mutants" because most of what i'd see as the "real" terriers at least tend to have slightly more "normal" sized dog heads (unlike the less fortunate "miniature" "breeds").

imo dogs are "supposed" to be roughly the size of a wolf or wild dog. they are all genetically the same animal from the same common ancestors (just as we are all Homo sapiens they are all Canis lupus familiaris a subspecies of the Grey Wolf aka Canis lupus), all "breeds" are a result of human manipulation of their breeding to enhance certain traits so consider just how "deformed" a miniature "breed" actually is from its "subspecies of the Grey Wolf" racial norm...

big dogs...well imo big dogs always seem to have the the same problem in that they don't seem to realise how big they are (a fact most people usually experience when they leap onto them or take out home furnishings...) imo this again kinda points back at the whole "meant to be roughly the same size and shape as a wolf" thing...

don't get me wrong i love some dogs (especially "smart" working and/or protective breeds such as sheep dogs and gun dogs aka retrievers and i would recommend any such "breed" if someone was looking to get a dog) but others, others deserve other emotions...pity or fear maybe...

i try never to blame a dog for being what it is. it only exists because of us.

i do tend to blame the owner but i blame the owner for either not understanding what the dog is or, perhaps worse, understanding fine well...

i'm sure some "pet lovers" will find my opinions abhorrent (especially if they own any of the dogs it seems i may disapprove of) but that's my honest 2 cents on the subject of dogs.

PS. anyone remember "one man and his dog" and all the whistling and "mon boy" stuff ? well the sheep dogs i know (i was "a country boy" originally and i am again in middle age) don't have to be told jack shit.

farmers i know barely have to even look at the dog and it knows what its job is.
so the "one man and his dog" stuff always left me scratching my head :P

i love sheep dogs and especially collies to bits but they break your heart when they go "senile" (which i kinda think happens perhaps because they are "too smart").

in my experience farmers here (and i know many because i went to school with them) always seem to have (at least) 3 dogs... : one who's the main work dog (often one parent), the learning pup (or pups), and one who's went nuts and is chained up outside on a very strong chain (and is often the former working dog and/or one of the parents) :'(

the farmers often justify keeping this dog "as a guard dog"...and believe me a mad collie is that...but the truth is that its a loyal friend, working companion, employee and yes at least part time "pet" and they love them to bits and so can't bring themselves to do that which should perhaps really be done. i've see those generally huge stoic hard working men completely emotionally devastated when they do eventually go...

i guess i'm telling you that because i don't want you to think "working animal" means unappreciated.

Pitbulls are definitely not a good dog. You can tell just from looking at them that they aren't all that fluffy, and what's the point of a dog without copious amounts of fluff?

Recommendation: get something really really fluffy. And many brushes to deal with the fur.

My wife's parents have the world's sweetest dog, it happens to be a rescue pitbull. I think the real issue is a poorly trained pitbull is more dangerous than a poorly trained dachsund.

I was terrorized as a kid when I had a newspaper route because there was a house on my block that had 4 rottweilers and the owners could (or would) not maintain their fence. The dogs would stalk me on my route and it go so bad my parents had to come with me. It's not the dogs fault that their owners were incompetent, but I certianly would not have worried about being stalked by a 20 lb dog instead of 100 lb dog.

wombat_of_war:
im a dog person and until fairly recently ive always owned dogs. pitbulls though i dont trust and they are the only brred of dog i dont. hell ive been the victim of a dog attack from a german shepard and ended up in hospital but i still trust them more than pitbulls. they tend to have a nasty habit of snapping and they dont get along with other animals well. they are a fighting dog and it shows

Disagree. I've lived with dogs all my life and I've only had one snap at me. It was a chocolate lab. All the pits I've met, run straight up to me to lick the snot out of me. It's that running straight up to you coupled with it's bad reputation and their overdeveloped chase instinct(lots of dogs have this) that result in attacks. I know the best thing to do if a dog is running at you is to stand your ground. For one, you aren't going to outrun him if he intends to attack. If he is intending to attack, standing your ground might make him reconsider. And there's always the chance he just wants to lick the snot out of you.

I would stay away from any pit that is chained up outside and always is. That is not usually the sign of a well treated dog.

Finally, the fact of the matter is that you have to be careful around any dog you don't know. At least if they're big enough to hurt you. I can't even treat chihuahuas like dogs, let alone as a threat.

I think they're kind of lovely, but then, my family has always kept one of the "pit bull" breeds (Staffordshire Bull Terriers, which admittedly are smaller and more soft-tempered than most).

But I do think they require an extra level of care when compared to other breeds, and I think that's something people need to recognize before they get them. However sweet and lovely I think my parents dog is, I wouldn't leave her alone with children or unfamiliar dogs. I wouldn't leave any powerful animal alone with children or unfamiliar animals, in fact. It's just a bad idea, and it always bothers me to see newspaper stories where dogs have attacked children with whom they were playing unsupervised, regardless of breed. A dog is a terrible babysitter, anyone who uses one as such is an idiot.

I also think the frightening reputation of some dogs just attracts the wrong type of person, i.e. someone who is looking for a "tough" accessory and who generally doesn't understand that fighting breeds aren't naturally aggressive to humans unless you mistreat them or don't correct antisocial behavior. In fact, they were generally bred to be very soft with humans. It's their very high gameness and loyalty to their owners which makes them potentially dangerous.

This is also, in large part, what I suspect leads to their over-representation in animal shelters, once this kind of owner realizes that their dog is just going to try and lick everyone and can be disarmed by a scratch behind the ears, the appeal kind of dries up.

I am biased because I only ever had 'bully breeds' growing up but I will try and separate opinion from what I have come to know as fact.

As has already been said, the handling of the dog greatly affects its temperament. Bully breeds and dogs of the working class especially need lots of socialization at a young age to help dissuade their prey drive if they are going to be optimal family animals. Dogs like border collies and shepherds can/will herd other animals and children if they are not well socialized and their needs not well met. Boredom and neglect often lead to destructive behavior that is otherwise pretty simple to overcome.

I would not suggest a Pit Bull (or any bully breed really) to a first-time dog owner simply because they are very powerful animals and they do need an experienced owner. I would say the same of a border collie or some terrier breeds as well. There is definitely truth when people say that certain dogs have certain natures but I honestly believe that with proper handling and training, any domesticated dog breed can be a family pet.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php

I don't think Pitbulls should be banned but goddamn, why the hell would you wanna own one knowing that 60% of all dog bite fatalities are perpetrated by pitbulls? You wanna know the weirdest statistic on that page, 13% of dog bite fatalities where perpetrated by rescue dogs. Thats ridiculously small compared to the rest of the information, everyone that thinks oh a dog attacks someone because it had an abusive owner, no it's not it's because people refuse to accept some dogs are more violent then others.

And you can say it matters who the owner is... well it's not like they do a litmus test on pitbull owners before they let people buy them. If you want a pitbull you might have to drive a state over to get one, but you can sure as hell get one. And while your dog might respect you everyone else is just the motherfucker looking at it funny.

I believe there are pit bulls that are nice, I've met a few, but denying pit bulls are naturally aggressive dogs is like denying Huskies aren't wound tight as a top.

Don't believe in those ridiculous stories about the dangers of certain breeds; the media tends to self propagate these things and the rumors get way out of hand.

Heronblade:
Huskies/malamutes: not too surprising, they're more like their wolven cousins than most breeds. Great dogs if you can handle them and their high levels of energy, extremely loyal and fun to be around, but if not...

Tru dat yo!

Depending on who you ask they possess a certain, shall we say; stubborn, head strong, independent, personality, intelligence, carefree, exploratory, etc. All code for; they do whatever the hell they feel like doing.

I've known plenty of people that own those breeds, and they were always nice to me. That being said, realize that they are what they are, and you are going to have to keep them from hurting anyone, which they are prone to doing. I may love dogs to bits, but I still understand that many of them can be dangerous, especially when they quite literally have the bite strength of a steel trap.

evilthecat:
A dog is a terrible babysitter, anyone who uses one as such is an idiot.

It is true that a dog will never replace an attentive human caretaker for any length of time, but in terms of trusting one alone with a child, that depends on the dog.

Just as an example, as a young child I was remarkably good at opening things I shouldn't have been able to, such as the front door. In one particularly worrying episode for my mother (this was prior to them installing a latch at the top of the door), while she was in the shower, I let myself out along with a 3 year old Belgian Tervuran (medium size herding/guard breed)I had effectively grown up with. He escorted me everywhere I went that day, even tugging on my clothes to keep me out of the street.

I've been around pit bulls since I was three when my parents got our first two as a puppies. Those two dogs were as friendly as can be and as adults they would let my younger brother crawl all over them and pull their ears and tails and all that stuff toddlers do. My brother and I would play out in the backyard and those dogs would go bark at the back door if we went too far out of the yard. Once they started getting up there in years my parents got two young females as rescues and we never had any problems with them either except that due to previously being abused by their previous owners they were a little timid around black people. They never attacked anyone though.

When I moved into my own place I got myself a pit pup and he's been a great dog. I take him to the dog park all the time and I've never had a problem with him acting aggressively towards another dog or person.

Pitbulls are just like any other dog and depending on how they are brought up can be either great dogs or aggressive dogs. The reason you see such high numbers of pitbull attacks is due to the fact that so many are raised as fighting dogs and abused by their owners. There are also the people that get them and, while they don't use them to fight other dogs, still have no clue about the proper care and attention that raising any type of high energy dog requires.

I'm not a fan of Pitbulls personally. I've met good and bad members of the breed. One the one end, I met one that was docile as could be, and loved playing with children. On the other end, I met one that would bark and bare its teeth if you got anywhere near its house.

While I've seen more "bad" Pitbulls than I have of any other breed, most of the owners of these dogs were "bad" owners.

In short: I wouldn't own one.

Now, if I wanted a dog to protect me....

How difficult a dog will be to handle depends much more on the individual than the breed. Knowing the breed can give you a general idea of what to expect, but dogs are individuals and can vary quite a bit even within the same breed. Some breeds might be more difficult to deal with in general, but that doesn't mean an individual within that breed will be difficult. And if people can manage to raise wolf-dog hybrids, then certainly pitbulls can't be impossible to deal with.

Depends on the owner, really. Just like how a lot of problems with kids come from bad parenting. I'm not much of a dog person, though, so I'd never get one.

I think they're one of the ugliest breeds to have ever come into existence.
... Other than that, I don't think much of them.

Tayh:
I think they're one of the ugliest breeds to have ever come into existence

This. Having totally fallen in love with my girlfriends adorable little golden retriever after being a huge dog hater i understand that how a dog looks probably doesnt stop you feeling attached to a pet that shows you affection. It kinda just builds even if you dont want it to. But seriously on an objective basis those things LOOK vicious and super ugly. I know they are not necessarily vicious but the reason they LOOK vicious is because they have all the tools a vicious dog needs to be successfully vicious, they have been bred as such. If you could tame a chainsaw the chainsaw will still look like a pretty dangerous tool even if it couldnt turn on. Its just got all the hall marks and tells of a dangerous animal. So even though my rational mind has no reason to fear or dislike a well trained breed my subconscious really doesnt like them. At all. I would never own one.

RatherDull:

Dalmations are generally hard to handle. Very high energy dogs. OT: not a fan of pitbulls, was nearly mauled by one as a child, so there is some personal bias here.

dmase:
http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php

I don't think Pitbulls should be banned but goddamn, why the hell would you wanna own one knowing that 60% of all dog bite fatalities are perpetrated by pitbulls?

Pfffft... Sorry, but when a group uses the term 'Pitbull' as an umbrella term for Am Staffs, Staffies, Bullies, English Bulldogs, American Bulldogs, Amercian Pitbull Terriers, a couple of Mastiff breeds and several breeds of Presa and Dogo their stats aren't worth a piece of piss to me.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked