Karl Rove, attempting to revive the Californian Republican Party

So, in an attempt to dig the old corpse up and breath some life into it, Karl Rove has attempted to "Rebrand" the Californian Republican party by... Essentially saying they need more "token minorities" in the party.

http://news.yahoo.com/rove-gop-needs-candidates-reflect-diversity-001543808.html

He also said the party must recruit candidates who reflect the diversity of the country, and in particular, California. By next year, Hispanics will overtake whites as the state's largest demographic group.
"We need to be asking for votes in the most powerful way possible, which is to have people asking for the vote who are comfortable and look like and sound like the people that we're asking for the vote from," Rove said.

Why is it that even when attempting to "appeal to a larger demographic" he still sounds like a conniving schemer?

Rove doesn't seem to understand, the democratic party doesn't attract minorities by saying "SEE! WE AREN'T RACIST! WE HAVE THIS BLACK GUY WITH US! WE AREN'T RACIST AT ALL!" they attract minorities by being actually diversified. You can't just throw a bunch of "dark skinned" candidates up to a vote and say "See, this is your kind, you will choose your kind, right?" For example, Bobby Jindal despite being an Indian himself, isn't that popular amongst indian minority groups.

The whole point of diversity is you have to be genuinely affable towards someone's skin color. Rather then treating families of illegal immigrants as "subhuman", or your party coming up with incredibly CRAZY and offensive lines like this:

Actually attempt to appeal to minority groups, rather then praying they'll accept you because you have a few token members of their race in your party.

Regardless, I doubt the California Republican party is going to last much longer. Our economy was wrecked under a Republican Governorship and the big businesses that the party seems to love so much. We've been screwed in every direction and sideways by them; if they think they can bring us back just because they'll be adding in a few token representatives, it would be like a rapist expecting his victim to believe that he's "changed" because he's wearing a different shirt.

Anyone else getting sick of Rove's antics?

Witty Name Here:

Yes and no.

Yes, I am not a fan his particular brand of campaigning, although I think he's getting the message that it needs to change badly as a matter of party preservation. What works short terms can hurt you long ter.

No, because his recent activity seems to be more in line with saving the party as a whole from the fringe elements that have taken it over.

The Gentleman:
snip

I can agree, the party will definitely need some reform; though I'm pretty sure it's burned every feasible bridge in California at least. All we need is for Jerry Brown to fix the economy as much as possible, and the final nail will probably be stabbed into the coffin.

I'm with The Gentleman on this.
I would not believe a single word of inclusion coming from Rove's mouth, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that they pull back from the far-right extremist social conservative theocratic fringe.
And that isn't just good for the Republicans themselves as a party but for the USA as a whole. Especially if you consider how political conflict is portrayed in the USA: You have two sides and "centrist" is somewhere in the middle, no matter how extreme those sides become.
The Republicans have pulled the spectrum so far to the right in the last decade especially (and Obama has ensured that the Democrats followed with his "fucking retarded Liberals"-administration), it's time to reverse that.
So, while I wouldn't trust Rove farther than I can throw a nuclear icebreaker, I'm appreciative of these early few steps.
As for people like Coulter?
I can't take her seriously whatsoever. She's a joke. People like her will have to adapt, too, or will simply lose their gigs. And since it's all about power and money, I'm sure she will learn to adapt as well. To a degree at least. Beck is still crazy, after all.

Our black and their blacks...

Yeah good luck.

The next Republican leader running for the Republican Presidential Nomination should run with the Slogan "We Republicans need to change or die. Lets change!". Honestly thats the only way to force the notion of what we're doing isn't going to be working in 15 years time...

Any political system needs opposition... but it needs a competent opposition...

Comando96:
The next Republican leader running for the Republican Presidential Nomination should run with the Slogan "We Republicans need to change or die. Lets change!". Honestly thats the only way to force the notion of what we're doing isn't going to be working in 15 years time...

That certainly won't work - "change or die" sounds too much like that big ol' pile of Satan's turds, evolution.

Of course, if they need to come up with a slogan that doesn't remind anyone on the fringe of the party of something that scares them yet at the same time appear modern and inclusive, they may as well give up now.

Why would any minority would trust a party who haven't acted like human beings towards them until...well, actually, from what I can see, they're not really actually trying to walk despite talking a lot (since Jindal went ahead and decided to propose that sales tax is what will take to get Louisiana up to speed JUST AFTER was advising the GOP what not to do).

Actually, the fact that a bunch of adults have to be told that what they've been doing was very, very, obviously wrong is a good enough indicator that they shouldn't be trusted at all regardless what efforts they put into their presentation into being more "moderate".

Witty Name Here:
So, in an attempt to dig the old corpse up and breath some life into it, Karl Rove has attempted to "Rebrand" the Californian Republican party by... Essentially saying they need more "token minorities" in the party.

I would be more interested in why you think blacks vote so overwhelmingly for the Democratic party, and what the Republican party can learn from them to swing more voters without abandoning their base.

Why is it that even when attempting to "appeal to a larger demographic" he still sounds like a conniving schemer?

An idea I heard on young turks. They worry that Republicans will stand behind things like Amnesty for illegal aliens not because they've had a change of heart, but because that is what gets votes. It is like making sausage. It happens but you don't want to see it. Anyone in politics professionally has to know how to do things like this. It is ugly though, giving up your values for votes.

Our economy was wrecked under a Republican Governorship and the big businesses that the party seems to love so much.

From what I read and understand, an elected Republican official here and there did not "wreck" California's economy. They have been called "Liberalism's Laboratory" for a reason. The left is so firmly entrenched there that they are becoming a failed, left wing state. And they shouldn't be. They have the coast line, schools, natural resources, man power, creative forces to be the greatest place on earth. It is arguably left wing government (including left wing Repulbicans) that is turning it into a dependent failure.

EDIT: An example of what the right sees: http://www.city-journal.org/2010/20_2_california-unions.html These Unions are not, politically as a group, conservative Republicans, though I don't doubt there are many among the rank and file.

Us Tea Party types have never liked the guy. He's a pro, not a movement guy. Politics can be ugly. For the Republican party, he is a hated establishment face.

Frankly, as a republican I think they really need to start kicking people out. One ought not be tea-party candidate and a republican. Its the easiest way of weeding out some of the crazy.

Then put into place some sort of strike system, where if you do stupid easily avoided shit, you get a warning. 3 warnings and you get kicked out of the party. This would cut down on the crazy shit they keep saying. (That hurt republicans as a whole)

Yes, I am aware the party would suffer for an election cycle or two while the adjustments take hold, but right now the party is broken. I am tired of wincing every-time one of these fringe republicans opens their mouth.

mavkiel:
Frankly, as a republican I think they really need to start kicking people out. One ought not be tea-party candidate and a republican. Its the easiest way of weeding out some of the crazy.

Then put into place some sort of strike system, where if you do stupid easily avoided shit, you get a warning. 3 warnings and you get kicked out of the party. This would cut down on the crazy shit they keep saying. (That hurt republicans as a whole)

Yes, I am aware the party would suffer for an election cycle or two while the adjustments take hold, but right now the party is broken. I am tired of wincing every-time one of these fringe republicans opens their mouth.

That's probably the only way to fix the party, yeah.

OTOH, at least they are currently honest. If someone has got bizarre and dangerous beliefs, you want them to be declaring them in public, not keeping them bottled up til after the election.

First off California's Repulican party isn't even conservative to begin with. It's in California, they're all RINOs. Anyway there are already plenty of minorities in the GOP, I used to be a Republican and I'm a Jew. There are also a large number of black people in the party as well, in fact the last leader of the party was Michael Steele who was a black conservative. And yes, contrary to popular myth, there are in fact gay conservatives, they are called "log cabin republicans".

It's a liberal myth that conservatives are racist, it's a tactic they use to try and scare people away. In reality I would argue that many liberal and democratic policies actually promote racism, look at affirmitive action, nothing more than reverse discrimination (also a policy that was created by the Republican party), they also tend to want to put minorities on welfare rather then help them find jobs so they can become independent from the government.

As you can see, it's not so black and white. I think racists exist in both parties, but neither party is racist in and of it's self. Both sides tend to generalize and falsely demonize the other.

The Gentleman:

Been sick of him for years. He helped turn the GOP (genralization here) into a bunch of angry reactionaries who are hurting this country all in the name of getting power (IMO) for his party.

All the GOP needs to do is change their messaging and do what rove says and add a few minority candidates and they'll be able to when in 2016. It's basically like stop calling everybody on unemployment is lazy, stop saying job creators need tax cuts(sorry GOP everyone figured out that means upper class), and finally stop being so insensitive your politicians what you say is important so stop saying it with a harsh slant towards dems(and by relation minorities).

Gorfias:

Witty Name Here:

I would be more interested in why you think blacks vote so overwhelmingly for the Democratic party, and what the Republican party can learn from them to swing more voters without abandoning their base.

All repubs need to do is chill out about immigration and English as a national language.

Most Mexicans are fairly conservative on social issues, which for the American public is what really sways your vote.

Gorfias:

Well, to put it bluntly, the blacks see the Republicans as racists. There's the remarks that nobody who attended the Obama inauguration missed work. The insinuation that blacks don't work and just subsist off of welfare. "Blah" people. The consistent criticism in certain Conservative circles of Lincoln for "stealing" slaveholders' "property". And, for the most part, the Republican leadership does nothing to detach itself from these unsavory elements.

What the Republican Party can do is detach itself from these unsavory elements. It can take heroes of black history seriously. It can disown those who demean black culture. It can encourage blacks to attend primaries and ask what they need and want.

Witty Name Here:
snip

Yeah he's really fighting an uphill battle here with the reputation the two parties have. The RP is pretty much the White party, while the DP are the non-white party, even though most blacks and Latinos are very social conservative, but they don't vote RP because they don't want to be labelled a "uncle-tom" or "race-traitor" by their family and colleagues.

Hafrael:

All repubs need to do is chill out about immigration and English as a national language.

Most Mexicans are fairly conservative on social issues, which for the American public is what really sways your vote.

Thanks. I understand Republican elites are working on this. Jeb Bush himself is reported to tell Republicans to chill out on immigration. http://www.newsmax.com/Newswidget/Jeb-Bush-Immigration-Reform/2013/03/10/id/493971?promo_code=EB8D-1&utm_source=National_Review&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1 McCain was supposedly was telling his constituents that the Fed doesn't 11 million handcuffs to use deporting illegal aliens. But the Republican elites (Like George Bush) have always been pro amnesty. This is one on which I think they'll lose their base.

Veylon:

...And, for the most part, the Republican leadership does nothing to detach itself from these unsavory elements.

What the Republican Party can do is detach itself from these unsavory elements. It can take heroes of black history seriously. It can disown those who demean black culture. It can encourage blacks to attend primaries and ask what they need and want.

Some of these are things I think it can do without losing their base. I know the idiot (and people like Ann Coulter called him as much) who said women can't get pregnant from rape are being given a lot of heat.

There is much concern about your last statement: "ask what they need and want." Republicans are supposed to stand for a free market of liberty and competition and not much else. If the response to "what do you need" is, "a handout",
1) The cannot match Democrats in this area. No reason to vote for a fake Democrat when the genuine article is available.
2) That will cost them their base. Conservatives were scandalized watching rich bankers go before cameras in our Congress saying they need billions in handouts and even Republicans replied, "uh, OK. Here. We'll borrow money from China and give it to you." More of that isn't going to help.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked