George P. Bush Running for Office

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/03/12/george-p-bush-runs-for-office-in-texas/

We aren't supposed to make a son pay for the sins of a father. I told this to myself when I voted for George 43 twice even though his father was the worst President of my lifetime (voted Libertarian in 92 and 96).

Then, George 43 disappointed me.

Can we trust a 3rd generation? It would be ignorant of me to vote for or against him based upon the failure of 41 and 43, right?

I need to hear him out I guess, assuming he goes far.

Your thoughts?

And his father is currently considered a likely 2016 presidential candidate. Well, guess they continue their legacy.

Personally, this is the first I've ever heard of P. Bush, but I'd have to assume that he's been raised in an environment like or at least somewhat similar to the one his father and uncle were raised in. He probably holds the same "trickle down economics"-nonsensical views, the same "preemptive war"-ideas, the same "torture is okay if we do it"- and "civil liberties are optional"-beliefs[1] etc.. Perhaps that is unfair to the guy, but considering people tend to adopt the views of their surroundings, their family and peers, it's not that unlikely.

Guess it depends, doesn't it? Do you want another H. or W. Bush? That question relates to both Jeb and P. Bush, of course.

[1] Mind, with Obama normalizing that now and "looking forward, not back" as well as expanding upon it with the whole Drone War thing and so on, plenty of Democrats are happily on board with that crap now, too. Hurray for bipartisanship, eh?

I'm more a small government type. Both Bushes made big government bigger.

Now that Skeleon has reminded me that Jeb may run in 2016, I'm vomiting twice as hard into a bucket. I feel guilty for doing so: aren't I supposed to judge the guy as an individual? *hurk*

here is a crazy notion why not vote for the party that has policies you agree with

spartandude:
here is a crazy notion why not vote for the party that has policies you agree with

When Bush 41 ran, he ran on Reagan's coat tails on a party that stood for smaller government. He was elected, betrayed us and made government bigger. So did Bush 43.

If Jeb runs in 2016, and it is as President for Small Government Republican, should I predict he too will betray his party based on his family ties?

As Skeleon writes, " people tend to adopt the views of their surroundings, their family and peers, " Yikes.

and here i thought America didn't have an aristocracy...

PS. buy a new name. you've more than had your moneys worth out of "george".

Oh great I knew this would happen. The fucking bush dynasty back to fuck us again. SAD truth is he will probably be the strongest republican candidate. OMFG he is going to declare war on north Korea!

Get ready for another war people. /completely serious

Sleekit:

PS. buy a new name. you've more than had you're moneys worth out of "george".

They use it to hearken back to George Washington.

Sleekit:

No, we have a few; they're mostly Politicians and Actors. One famous example would be the Kennedy's; Most, if not all, of their family members are politically active one way or another. William Howard Taft's descendants also have been a Political Aristocracy.

OT: Let's wait and see if he repeats history.

I wasn't a fan of George Bush Jr. I have some big disagreements with his administration, but I don't think he was a bad person like a lot of people try to make him out to be. He wasn't the devil or anything like that, you can dislike someone's political views, but still like them as a person. And as a person I thought Bush seemed decent.

I don't know what the views of George P. Bush are, nor do I know what he has done or accomplished. So I will research him, but I'm not going to write him off automatically because of who he is related to, that would just be stupid.

Gorfias:
Can we trust a third generation?

With little variance, everything a father knows about being a father, he learned from his own. Therefore, it's not completely inaccurate to say everything a man knows about being a man, he learned from his father (it is somewhat inaccurate--there are other factors--but by and large, I'm comfortable with this assumption; apples generally do not fall far from the tree), because most human learning is based on imitation and that's the figure the son has to emulate.

George H.W. Bush produced George W. Bush, who was more or less George H.W. Bush. While once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, and it takes three times to make a pattern, I feel George P. Bush has to rely on his record to differentiate him from his forbears.

Gorfias:
It would be ignorant of me to vote for or against him based upon the failure of 41 and 43, right?

I'd say it's more unsubstantiated than outright ignorant.

I think giving him the benefit of the doubt would be a mistake.

I see him being popular amongst people who liked the first two, but nobody much else wanting to risk him.

Im not sure if it's widely known, but he isn't running for president but Texas land commissioner. Also given that it's an obscure position, in Texas we have an option for straight ticket voting, so unless another republican moves in, he is likely going to win.

Friendly Lich:
Oh great I knew this would happen. The fucking bush dynasty back to fuck us again. SAD truth is he will probably be the strongest republican candidate. OMFG he is going to declare war on north Korea!

Get ready for another war people. /completely serious

Marco Rubio will be the GOP Candidate in 2016. He was the one they wanted all along. Romney was a scapegoat, put out on the firing line the way the Democrats did to John Kerry in 2004. They'll sit on their asses, hold the country hostage till 2016, and when the country hasn't recovered because of obstruction, they can blame Obama and get whoever they want. Rubio seals it because he resonates with Latino voters, and can either swing Tea Party or Moderate Republican depending on what looks better at the time.

spartandude:

You mean I should vote for the party that doesn't stand for corporatocracy? Yeah, none of them have even a remote chance of winning because people never hear about them. Democrat, Republican, two sides of the same corruption by an large.

JimB:

With little variance, everything a father knows about being a father, he learned from his own. Therefore, it's not completely inaccurate to say everything a man knows about being a man, he learned from his father (it is somewhat inaccurate--there are other factors--but by and large, I'm comfortable with this assumption; apples generally do not fall far from the tree), because most human learning is based on imitation and that's the figure the son has to emulate.

Why don't we just look at his record? Statements he's made and the like. Why try to guess if the apple fell far from the tree?

Well, he campaigned for Bush the younger twice. That's enough for me.

WouldYouKindly:
Why don't we just look at his record? Statements he's made and the like. Why try to guess if the apple fell far from the tree?

Because the rules Gorfias laid out were that we could only base a decision on his parentage.

Gorfias:
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/03/12/george-p-bush-runs-for-office-in-texas/

We aren't supposed to make a son pay for the sins of a father. I told this to myself when I voted for George 43 twice even though his father was the worst President of my lifetime (voted Libertarian in 92 and 96).

Then, George 43 disappointed me.

Can we trust a 3rd generation? It would be ignorant of me to vote for or against him based upon the failure of 41 and 43, right?

I need to hear him out I guess, assuming he goes far.

Your thoughts?

3rd generation?

You might not know this, but that family has been in the presidential game for a long time.

How long, you ask?

Their first guy was the first (and only, methinks) President do get a fucking DUI. Things havent improved much since.

Jayemsal:

You might not know this, but that family has been in the presidential game for a long time.

How long, you ask?

Their first guy was the first (and only, methinks) President do get a fucking DUI. Things havent improved much since.

I think I'm going to be sick.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Pierce

"a Northerner with Southern sympathies"

In 1857. Because Southern slave owners couldn't get enough sympathy from Northerners back then.

Also, "'a good man who didn't understand his own shortcomings'"

Please. No more Bushes.

Holy shit he is half mexican? Mind = blown

No I don't think anyone should be punished for the sins of the father. Positions are what define a candidate.

TO be fair he is only running for land commissioner. I dont know what exactly that job entails but I cant imagine its as earth shaking as governer or president.

now, assuming he were running for president, that would be a bit different, but then again, not really. IF he has the same political ideas as Bush or bush senior then yes it can be bad. ID ont think either's policies would work well forthe US or world if they were put in place now when the idea of "improvement" is strenuous at best. I dont know exactly what WOULD help, other than maybe getting ACTUAL econimists and such as seated governers (they're pretty rare if I remember correct in congress).

dmase:

Yes, "Poppy" was very proud of his multi-cultural herritage. At one impromtu media event, he proudly pointed out some of his grandkids, "the little brown ones". It was considered impolitic of him.

No I don't think anyone should be punished for the sins of the father.
Positions are what define a candidate.

Argh. You're a better man than I on this. Especially after Jayemsal's post! Philosophically, you are in the right on this.

I should be more worried about Jeb at this point though. He may run for President himself in 2016. Maybe against Hillary Clinton.

Gorfias:

dmase:

Yes, "Poppy" was very proud of his multi-cultural herritage. At one impromtu media event, he proudly pointed out some of his grandkids, "the little brown ones". It was considered impolitic of him.

No I don't think anyone should be punished for the sins of the father.
Positions are what define a candidate.

Argh. You're a better man than I on this. Especially after Jayemsal's post! Philosophically, you are in the right on this.

I should be more worried about Jeb at this point though. He may run for President himself in 2016. Maybe against Hillary Clinton.

My opinion is colored by the fact that I couldn't conceive of a situation where I would vote for a Republican and know as fact that there won't be another Bush in the white house for at least 20 years(probably ever) thus wouldn't be affecting me. They can be governor's, real estate commissioners, or dog catchers and none of it directly affects me so why would it matter to me.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked