We don't have to do this.

I've been using the internet for a long time. Ever since you had to have your computer dial a telephone number to connect to the World Wide Web, hoping the entire time that there weren't too many people on, otherwise you'd get a busy signal.

I was around during the days of AOL chat rooms, where many inquiries of gender and time on the planet were made and those with the FATE 3.0 chat bot were king. I still remember happening upon a Star Wars chat room that happened to be in the middle of a raid on the Star Trek chat room... a raid which simply consisted of about 20 people typing in caps: "STAR TREK SUCKS".

Technology has come a long way since then.

Now we carry the internet in our pockets. Access to a seemingly unending source of information in milliseconds.

This technology has brought us closer together, but possibly only in a technical sense. The very same attitude found in the old AOL chat rooms still persists - though exponentially more empowered by the ease of which one can access nearly any information one desires.

And I have to ask... why do we treat each other this way?

Why the trolling? Why the vicious insults? The degradation? Why do we tear each other to shreds over what usually amount to nothing more than a simple matter of differing opinion?

We don't have to do this. We don't HAVE to be the shittiest generation of fucking worthless cunts this world has ever seen. We CAN treat each other with respect, and courtesy. We can say Mr. and Mrs. We CAN say "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am"... even on the internet.

We don't have to let our societies devolve into a bunch of self entitled twats who believe that they all deserve to be the star of their own show and that everyone else is just an ignorant inconvenience.

So, why do we do this? We do we ALLOW this?

Can't those of us who are clear thinking, rational people make more of a stand against the blatant and ridiculous trolling? Can't we put aside our propensity to laugh at a well crafted burn, and instead, maybe defend the person being mercilessly verbally gang raped (if they don't deserve it)?

Why do we allow this?

Why do we accept this?

Is this what we want our generation to be known for? Being dicks to each other over the internet?

I hope not.

Then again, maybe I've had too much wine, and should shut up. You decide.

I'm just going to repost what I said in the religious YouTube comments thread.

Hardcore_gamer:
Because its the internet.

Are you talking about the younger generation not having manners or are you talking about people behaving like dicks on the internet? To answer the first question, I don't think my generation is any less polite than any of the other generations- indeed I would say they're are more polite. When I worked in a supermarket I would frequently see middle-aged and older people stamping their feet and huffing loudly when they had to wait in line, yelling about how the service is poor and rudely demanding refunds for shit that they had bought weeks ago and "only just noticed it was damaged". Never really got that from younger people. I also frequently commute to the city and see 40-something year old people screaming at railway workers and bus drivers for not running on time as if it's their fucking fault the public transport system is underfunded, and they could just make the traffic/ train track problems disappear with a wave of their dicks.

Which brings us neatly to the second point- What kind of bubble wrapped world do you live in where you don't see people acting like jerks in real life?

MichiganMuscle77:
We don't have to do this. We don't HAVE to be the shittiest generation of fucking worthless cunts this world has ever seen. We CAN treat each other with respect, and courtesy. We can say Mr. and Mrs. We CAN say "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am"... even on the internet.

We're the shittiest generation?
We talk shit on the internet, big deal, that's just words. I don't really care what people say, I care what people do.
As soon as our generation will start an international armed conflict over bull shit politics and money, wake me up.

We don't have to do this? Um, yes we do. We're human. It is in our nature.

We breath. We eat. We fuck until we can't stand up. And we incite conflict in times of peace. Not all of us have the resources to strike down nations. But we each have a power weapon in the form of our voices.

These weapons were once limited in reach by those we could get our message to. But we the invention of the internet, our power is limitless. We can now put our efforts into great causes, or fulfill our true inherited desire for discord.

With a mere utterance, people can become sad, angry, anything we want them to feel. By typing simple words on a keyboard, people surrender their will to use without even realizing it. We gain power, not through simple brute strength, but through the use of our mind. And power is the greatest thing you can ever obtain in this world. Better than the money from our meager jobs. Better than the sex with woman who will never love you. Better than the drugs that leave your body a husk.

Power is everything.

So to you, who says that we do not have to treat our fellow man with hostility, I say we MUST. We all have the desire to reach out and obtain power over the pathetic individuals that will allow us the control. Troll my brothers. Troll harder than you ever have before. Troll as if this were the last of our days. For we have inherited this world, and so we shall do with it as we wish.

People are naturally dicks, the only reason we're not dicks offline is because people can punch us. Being online people can't remove our teeth with their fists so we are free to be total dicks.

HardkorSB:
We're the shittiest generation?
We talk shit on the internet, big deal, that's just words. I don't really care what people say, I care what people do.

Agreed.

As soon as our generation will start an international armed conflict over bull shit politics and money, wake me up.

Eh, some would say Iraq would be an example of that. In how far the currently living generations as a whole are responsible for that is debatable, though. And the people who are currently trolling the internet were mostly below voting age at the time that started, anyway.

Shadowstar38:
We don't have to do this? Um, yes we do. We're human. It is in our nature.

We breath. We eat. We fuck until we can't stand up. And we incite conflict in times of peace. Not all of us have the resources to strike down nations. But we each have a power weapon in the form of our voices.

These weapons were once limited in reach by those we could get our message to. But we the invention of the internet, our power is limitless. We can now put our efforts into great causes, or fulfill our true inherited desire for discord.

With a mere utterance, people can become sad, angry, anything we want them to feel. By typing simple words on a keyboard, people surrender their will to use without even realizing it. We gain power, not through simple brute strength, but through the use of our mind. And power is the greatest thing you can ever obtain in this world. Better than the money from our meager jobs. Better than the sex with woman who will never love you. Better than the drugs that leave your body a husk.

Power is everything.

So to you, who says that we do not have to treat our fellow man with hostility, I say we MUST. We all have the desire to reach out and obtain power over the pathetic individuals that will allow us the control. Troll my brothers. Troll harder than you ever have before. Troll as if this were the last of our days. For we have inherited this world, and so we shall do with it as we wish.

Oh come on man I usually agree with your posts but this is kinda lame.

Nobody has to be a dick. Trying to justify dick behavior is just lame.

We don't have to consider this insignificant and harmless first world "problem" a sign of the end times either.

Anyone upset over Star Trek fans being verbally gang-raped could perhaps stand to acquire a bit of perspective. But to each his own.

Eh, people like making other people upset. On the net, nobody is so small they can't be a bully.

Assholez up in society is not a god damn thang new... We're just mo' connected than ever, so tha chancez of encounterin one is significantly increased compared ta 'the past'.

Ah, but the spill over into real life has been shocking me lately.

I was asked to sit in on an interview so I could ask about some of the technical job requirements. 5 minutes into the interview the applicants phone went off with a text and he started typeing back. My boss waited and then gave him the "Thank you for your time."

Yet despite all this, the Internet has lead to wide spread social reform due to the spread of ideals. Not all of the Internet is YouTube comments and 4chan you know.

My advice OP is that change starts at home. All the well-intentioned forum posts in the world won't make the Internet a friendlier place, we have to set an example ourselves. If some troll on YouTube tries to chew you out, politely wish them a good day and then move on. Sure, you and I may only be a drop in the bucket but it's better than letting ourselves get sucked into the rage right?

People get accused of trolling for anything these days, dark sense of humour? you're a troll, believe in controversial ideals? you're a troll.
Remember that trolls are people who specifically set out to cause a negative emotional state in others for their own amusement.
So the ignorant, the hot-headed, the bigoted etc. are not trolls.
Yet they often get lumped in with them.

It's also important to remember that it's more difficult to get across the tone and any subtext one might be trying to express in text (as opposed to verbally). I have quite often seen genuine wit played off as trolling as the person it was directed at is too dumb/uneducated to realise it.
My answer to this is for more people to read more books.

And finally, because there is nothing inherently wrong with trolling.
Think about it, most of us troll our friends on a regular basis. It's fun to tease each other.
Satire is essentially trolling, yet is completely accepted, encouraged and praised in modern society.

Troll is being used as an insult by those who do not understand it or are not educated enough/too proud to appreciate it.

Friendly Lich:

Oh come on man I usually agree with your posts but this is kinda lame.

This is what I call advanced level facetiousness.

Skeleon:
Eh, some would say Iraq would be an example of that. In how far the currently living generations as a whole are responsible for that is debatable, though. And the people who are currently trolling the internet were mostly below voting age at the time that started, anyway.

As far as I'm aware, our generation didn't have a personal vendetta against Hussein, didn't spread false propaganda about Iraq being involved in 9/11 and having weapons of mass destruction and didn't get any of the oil from Iraq.

Also, doesn't the electoral college or something like that choose the US president?

I'm fairly sure we do have to do it the way some communities are designed. But lots of sites seem to be taking actions to improve their community, either through forcing players to use a real name (youtube), or by limiting commendations/reports (Dota)

Why do people keep saying "our generation"? That implies that this kind of behaviour will actually stop at the dawn of a new generation. Internet slander and online bitchery will always be around. And it's not even just kids, there are all kinds of everyday people who you'd never suspect could be such complete assholes that go home everyday and act like total fuckwits on some random chat room or twitter or forum or whatever. This isn't a generational thing, this is a human thing. As long as the internet remains anonymous people will always fall into the temptation of being cunts online.

@HardkorSB

As far as I'm aware, our generation didn't have a personal vendetta against Hussein, didn't spread false propaganda about Iraq being involved in 9/11 and having weapons of mass destruction and didn't get any of the oil from Iraq.

Also, doesn't the electoral college or something like that choose the US president?

I didn't realize you meant "the individual members of our generation" there. Although I will say that a lot of people were cheering for that war. Due to the false information, sure, but still.
Your point about the electoral college is duly noted, though. With lacking representation of the populace the responsibility of that populace diminishes.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked