Explosions at Boston Marathon (Video) 1 Suspect Dead, 1 Injured and in Custody

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

In an effort to make this original post less chaotic, I'm rewriting the post with the details as known at this point. This was last updated at 20:20 Eastern US time, April 19. To update others, join the new Escapist current event's group Happening Now.

The Event:

At 14:50 local time, Monday, two hours after the first runner crossed the finish line of the Boston Marathon, an explosion occurred near the finish line behind a barricade where spectators were gathered to watch friends, family, and strangers finish the run. 16 seconds later, a second explosion occurred approximately 100 yards away on the runner approach.

Boston Police responded immediately, having been on scene with the national guard for event security. The local area was placed on lockdown, with nearby mass transit and local bridges closed. Motorists were advised to evacuate the city. The bomb squad was called in in order to dispose and/or disarm any other explosive devices found. There was a controlled detonation of at least one suspicious object. Five other objects were identified as potential explosive devices throughout the city, however, it does not appear all of them were explosives. Subsequent analysis has found there were no other explosive devices found throughout the city.

Cities around the world increased their security presence. US government buildings were placed on high alert. On Tuesday morning, a terminal at Laguardia Airport in New York City was evacuated, but was given an all clear after the suspicious package turned out to be "a lighting ballast with wires sticking out."

A federal law enforcement official has described the device as a crude, low explosive mixture inside a metal pressure cooker using a timer and placed in a backpack, although no details are certain at this point. The bombs appear to have been designed to use small ball bearings and nails as shrapnel.

Boston is currently on lockdown following a shootout in the Watertown suburb that involved explosives (now totally cordoned off). There was a controlled explosion in the Cambridge suburb where the suspects lived. All traffic and mass transit has been shut down in the Boston area.

Casualties:

As of this writing, there have been three confirmed deaths and 140+ injuries. 30 people were transferred to area trauma hospitals in life-threatening condition.

The dead:

1) Martin Richard, an 8-year-old male, who had been spectating with his family while they waited for his father to finish the marathon. His mother and sister are among the injured.

2) Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old female restaurant manager. She attended the marathon each year as a spectator.

3) Lingzi Lu, a female graduate student at Boston University and a Chinese national who was atching the race with friends.

4) Sean Collier, 26, a MIT officer, who was shot Thursday night and died at the hospital. He is believed to have been shot by the suspects.

Investigation:

As of this writing, no individual or group has been has been declared a suspect. There was no specific warning of an attack.

The FBI will lead the joint investigation. A 20 year old Saudi exchange student seriously injured in the bombing was a person of interest and was guarded at a local hospital while questioned. His roommate's suburban apartment has been searched, but it appears there is no evidence that either were involved.

Contrary to some news reports, Law Enforcement sources have been stating that no arrest has been made. However, they do have images of two persons of interest which have been released to the public.

A stand off after the shooting death of an MIT security officer has resulted in the death of one who is believed to be a suspect in Watertown, MA (a Boston suburb). This occurred after reports of shots fired and explosions and a stand off with police in the area. One of the suspects was shot in the exchange and died en route to the hospital.

BPD has lifted the lockdown, but has encouraged people to remain cautious and on alert. The younger brother is still at large. INTERPOL has issued an orange alert for his capture.

Reporters have heard shots fired in Watertown at 7p eastern time, along with rapid police presence. It is believed that he has been cornered in a boat. Law enforcement is not approaching as it is unknown whether he is armed or may have an explosive device.

THE SUSPECTS

Both suspects have been identified: brothers Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26 (killed), and Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19 (wanted), of Cambridge, Mass. Both were originally from Chechnya, a region of Russia that attempted to break away from Russia and has been extremely violent in the past two decades (most notably the 2010 Moscow Subway Bombing near FSB headquarters), although they appear to have been living in the US for since 2001, and the elder brother became a legal US citizen in 2007, the younger in 2012. Motive remains unclear, but a YouTube account believed to be the elder brother's has several radical Muslim videos.

Their uncle, Ruslan Tsarni, has called for Dzhokhar to turn himself in. He also said that any use of Islam to perpetrate this violence is "a fraud." He believes the only reason for the violence would be an inability to "settle."

A third man has been arrested, but not declared a suspect.

The second suspect, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, is alive and in custody following a stand off at a boat in Watertown, MA.

JFK Library and other events:

There was also a fire at the JFK Library 5 miles away, which resulted in no injuries but some damage. The BPD commissioner originally stated there was an explosion at the library and that they may be connected, but have since stated that the incident appears to be fire related and does not appear to have any connection to the Boston Marathon event and was instead a fire in a mechanical room.

A Wisconsin college is under lockdown after reports of a man on campus with a gun. The campus has since resumed normal operations and the suspect is in custody.

A letter laced with deadly ricin poison was sent to the DC office of US Senator Rodger Wicker (R-Miss.). The letter was intercepted and is undergoing testing. A second letter addressed to President Obama was intercepted in the White House mail room. The letters were sent by a Mississippi Elvis impersonator, who is now in FBI custody. The FBI has found no apparent link between the letters and the Boston bombings.

An abandoned U-HAUL truck outside the Oklahoma City City Hall prompted local evacuations and an investigation by the bomb squad. An all clear has been made and it has been determined that it was left there due to a break down. Of particular note is that the Oklahoma City bombing by Timothy McVeigh did use a rental truck left in front of the target building, the anniversary of which is Friday, April 19.

The Boston Federal Courthouse has been evacuated due to a bomb threat. EDIT: area around building was evacuated due to large press crowd. There was no bomb threat.

15 people are believed to be dead after a fertilizer plant in Waco, Texas had a fire and explosion. Authorities are treating it as an industrial accident. [Relevant thread here.]

-----

This post will be updated as more information becomes available or confirmed.

For more news updates, join the new Escapist group Happening Now.

*stays tuned*

I'll be avoiding wild speculations for now, but, damn. That couldn't have been pretty.

Apparently the explosions occurred 3 hours after the winner crossed the finish line.

In an interview at the scene one man claimed 'there are allot of people down' whatever that means

Several injured confirmed, but apparently a NBC reporter reported body parts blown to bits on the street... this is pretty ugly.
But I hope we find out who did this soon.

Heard of no deaths so far but I am hearing the political BS kicking up with people blaming Obama and saying that bombs are already illegal (though I am hearing it was a gas line that blew).

To keep things upbeat congratulations to the top placing Americans, Jason Hartmann and Shalane Flanagan.

3 confirmed deaths so far it seems.
Hopefully it stays at that.

...damn it...

The Boston Marathon is a big event. It catches the attention of folks all around the world because runners from all across the planet show up to participate. If the bombers wanted attention then they've succeeded in getting it.

Why would someone do this?

Vegosiux:
*stays tuned*

I'll be avoiding wild speculations for now, but, damn. That couldn't have been pretty.

Pictures were posted 'round the web. There was blood completely coating the sidewalk where the first bomb went off. Apparently 10~ survivors have lost at least one limb.

Two explosions would suggest that it's not a coincident. But it happened 3 hours after the finish...that's weird.

Copper Zen:
Why would someone do this?

Terrorism motives would be the obvious choice (see 1996 Olympic bombings and the Munich hostage crisis).

It may also be a targeted killing with an attempt to disguise via a terrorist event.

Again, it is unclear if this is even a bombing.

Could be about Newtown too, there were some ceremonial stuff for it on the marathon.
EDIT: 2 dead, 22 injured according to BBC

Xan Krieger:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15/explosion-reported-near-finish-line-boston-marathon-spokesman-says/ I'm seeing 3 dead, 10 people lost limbs.

I saw three large red streaks, one of which was definitely large enough to suggest dead, in an areal shot of the cleared scene.

EDIT: Further areal shots reveal at least one body.

Gorr:
Two explosions would suggest that it's not a coincident. But it happened 3 hours after the finish...that's weird.

Because you'd get the most runners going by as the first three hours will only be 1-4 people crossing at a time. The explosions happened right when a large amount of runners were crossing.

Zef Otter:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/people-who-already-think-that-the-us-government-was-respo

Wow these people are fast :o

Less than 90 minutes. Prompt response, but not a record...

I'm seeing 12 dead, but only reported in 1 place.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQfVsH1yI

This is horrible.

"Relatives of the victims of December's school massacre in Newtown, Conn. were among those attending the race finish at a VIP area. It was not known of any of the relatives were among the casualties. "

BBC (thank christ by the way)
Citing a US intelligence official, the Associated Press reports two more explosive devices have been found at the Boston Marathon and are being dismantled.

Zef Otter:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/people-who-already-think-that-the-us-government-was-respo

Wow these people are fast :o

Well look at the bright side, Bible-toting right wingers and Muslims finally agree on something...

Fraggy1:
BBC (thank christ by the way)
Citing a US intelligence official, the Associated Press reports two more explosive devices have been found at the Boston Marathon and are being dismantled.

Kinda odd that an "intelligence" official commented on it, i highly doubt it's an (foreign) Islamic group, too big to be a lone wolf e.g. the times square bomber, fort hood. And too small to be a well funded coordinated effort e.g. 7/7, Madrid bombings etc.

This smells more like domestic terrorism to me, the fact that it's on Patriots' Day smells like something that a domestic group would do. This still could turn out to be a bombing executed due to religious reasons, even by Muslim fundamentalists, but highly unlikely that it's a black flag kind of op..

I'll go to sleep soon, but I'll definitely read up on it tomorrow. Maybe more details will be out by then. I'm especially interested in those packages' contents and possible motivations. Often, terrorists will take responsibility for such acts they commit in order to garner attention for their cause, so I'm expecting some updates on that.

In the words of my wise, Boston friend.

"Damn"

OT:

As always it's horrible when people die, I'll write something generic about hoping that the ones responsible will be brought to justice. What else can I do, if I were to debate conspiracy theories, rather than the government this could be a right-wing christian extremist wanting to prove a point, just aswell as it could be a Pakistani trying to live up to the codes of Jihad. Both have happened before, although I'm not completely certain--- on second thought, yea. I'm certain, both have happened before in the US. Time will tell, I'll look back tomorrow.

As I guy who lives not even an hour from the explosions, this scares me. Who ever did this, basically are saying 'screw patriotism and America' because the Boston Marathon gathers people from all around the globe, but today is Patriots Day; which is the celebration of America's victory in the battles of Lexington and Concord. All I can say is the media is sucking this story up and getting the bombers their full attention.

If the bombers were searching for attention here then they've definitely got it; Quite a few of my friends on Facebook have posted statuses about it already and the BBC news twitter feed is posting all the updates as they happen.

I certainly would like to know who did this, and exactly why they did it.

I also want to see what the official reaction to this is in the after-math. IE: Once they're certain no more explosions are bout to immediately go off and the wounded are seen to.

they found unexploded bombs so that will aid immensely in identifying the signature of the bomber/s and who is behind it

Time to start pointing figures. My money is on someone linked to Al Queda or the Taliban. This seems like it fits pretty well in the playbook.

Just woke up and heard it on the radio.
Currently 2 confirmed dead, 23 confirmed injured (but the injury count is obviously higher than that) and the FBI is jamming cell phone reception to prevent any remote detonations by that method. New York Post is saying they have a suspect in custody, but I'm seeing other reports calling that bullshit.

This is terrible.
The quick response of the emergency services is commendable however.

Zef Otter:
photos of the bombing

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/first-photos-from-the-scene-of-the-boston-marathon-explosion

Warning it can get graphic

Fuck, the poor guy in #45 has literally lost his legs, I had to look several times to be sure what I was seeing.. a couple of others look potentially dead.

I can see the identity of the bombers (whether they be far-right extremists, Islamic fundamentalists, a lone nut or something-else) having a huge impact on how this attack is seen when it all comes to light.

Sad. Though, to be honest, I'm kinda surprised this doesn't happen more often. Lots of crazies, pretty open society.

JoJo:

Zef Otter:
photos of the bombing

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/first-photos-from-the-scene-of-the-boston-marathon-explosion

Fuck, the poor guy in #45 has literally lost his legs, I had to look several times to be sure what I was seeing.. a couple of others look potentially dead.

I can see the identity of the bombers (whether they be far-right extremists, Islamic fundamentalists, a lone nut or something-else) having a huge impact on how this attack is seen when it all comes to light.

I think you mean 38 and I'm shocked he's still conscious with the end of his leg just missing like that ._.

And yeah... this could explode into something big. Low death count right now, but those are some awful injuries and that'll be sensational enough.

Judging by the wounds, it would seem someone left them in duffle bags on the sidewalk.
Smells like another Anders Breivik.

Dijkstra:

JoJo:

Zef Otter:
photos of the bombing

I think you mean 38 and I'm shocked he's still conscious with the end of his leg just missing like that ._.

Fuckheads keep changing the order. It was #40 when I checked the first time.

Dijkstra:

JoJo:

Zef Otter:
photos of the bombing

And yeah... this could explode into something big. Low death count right now, but those are some awful injuries and that'll be sensational enough.

Ah, they must have changed around some of the photos, it was definitely 45 earlier, you can see some of the Facebook comments at the bottom of the page referring to it as that (and as 44 variously too).

DVS BSTrD:

Dijkstra:

JoJo:

Fuckheads keep changing the order. It was #40 when I checked the first time.

It was 44 for me but I assumed I'd remembered wrong on my second check. Odd since I'd think then number would constantly increase as more photos are added.

Shock and Awe:
Time to start pointing figures. My money is on someone linked to Al Queda or the Taliban. This seems like it fits pretty well in the playbook.

My money's on a right-wing domestic terrorist. There was a bombing attempt in Washington about three years ago during an Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade that was linked to white supremists.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked