Explosions at Boston Marathon (Video) 1 Suspect Dead, 1 Injured and in Custody

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Imperator_DK:
The two men investigated by the internet have apparently been cleared by the police.

Ah excellent, I was expecting to hear about this one way or the other soon enough given how much of a fuss the Internet was making yesterday. I'm actually glad it wasn't them after browsing FreeRepublic this morning and seeing a load of "Freepers" drooling over the fact the suspects looked Arabic in appearance and how they had known it was the Muslims all along. According to a BBC news article I read earlier experts are drifting away from the idea it was conducted by an international group, given the lack of statement and amateurish of the whole attack, I'm still putting my money on a lone nut (or two).

The FBI has released photos and videos of two men they suspect to be the bombers.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston

Personally I think the chances of it being right-wing domestic terrorists to have increased by 10%

Witty Name Here:
The FBI has released photos and videos of two men they suspect to be the bombers.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston

Personally I think the chances of it being right-wing domestic terrorists to have increased by 10%

I was personally outraged by the way the Newton CT shooting was exploited by the left to push BS gun control, but worried that this easily could have been done by someone showing evil is: it can kill with guns. It can kill with pressure cookers. How many have died by fertilizer?

Whoever did this, the radical right gun lovers or the anti American, give a murdering terrorist a job at a college left, heck, the, "please send donations to the make Gorfias rich" moderate funders: with me, against me, regardless: it was an act of depravity. We find who did it, they should be punished accordingly.

Gorfias:

Witty Name Here:

I was personally outraged by the way the Newton CT shooting was exploited by the left to push BS gun control, but worried that this easily could have been done by someone showing evil is: it can kill with guns. It can kill with pressure cookers. How many have died by fertilizer?

When was the last time you had a successful bombing?

The Gentleman:

Gorfias:

Witty Name Here:

When was the last time you had a successful bombing?

Last Saturday night. 3 gin martinis, I was bombed.

Da da dum!

But seriously, what do you mean? Me personally? Have I ever set off a bomb intending to kill someone? No. I've shot gun without intending to kill anyone. Ripped the hell out of tin cans though. I've set off rockets to look pretty, not to kill. Not sure to what you are referring.

EDIT: You referring to "you" as in, the USA society?

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/recent-history-homemade-bombs-built-united-states

I recently heard terrorist attacks are more likely to come from white people than arabs. This is the sort of thing the guy was likely talking about.

So since the Saudi suspect has been deported the conservative right has been calling it a cover up. Michael Savage (I know you guys probably hate him, but he has a ton of influence) is even lending credence to the idea that those guys with the headsets and black backpacks on Imgur were NAVY Seals. It's kinda surprising how far out he's going for a mainstream radio show.

Hammartroll:
So since the Saudi suspect has been deported...

Have they? I can't find anything reliable that says this, the closest you get to a source is Glen beck's news site.

No surprising since there never actually was a Saudi suspect.

Knight Templar:

Hammartroll:
So since the Saudi suspect has been deported...

Have they? I can't find anything reliable that says this, the closest you get to a source is Glen beck's news site.

No surprising since there never actually was a Saudi suspect.

it seems to be a legit issue, but Janet disagrees

Hammartroll:

it seems to be a legit issue, but Janet disagrees

"Seems" being the key word since that video makes it more clear that this is likely yet another empty rumor.

Gorfias:

Last Saturday night. 3 gin martinis, I was bombed.

Da da dum!

But seriously, what do you mean? Me personally? Have I ever set off a bomb intending to kill someone? No. I've shot gun without intending to kill anyone. Ripped the hell out of tin cans though. I've set off rockets to look pretty, not to kill. Not sure to what you are referring.

EDIT: You referring to "you" as in, the USA society?

Yes. My point was that bombings, particularly successful ones, are extremely rare in the US (the last notable attempted bombing was an 2011 MLK day attempt in Washington, and before that was the inadvertently hilarious Time Square Attempt). Gun violence, however, is endemic. And yet even the most basic and rational regulation of it (which I would say would be the same level of licencing and tracking as automobiles) is met with total opposition.

On a side note: Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer is explicitly regulated and tracked by federal statute due to its use in ANFO bombs.

But that is a side discussion with only the most tangential relation to the subject of the Boston Marathon Bombings.

The Gentleman:
Gun violence, however, is endemic. And yet even the most basic and rational regulation of it (which I would say would be the same level of licencing and tracking as automobiles) is met with total opposition.

Because it's ineffectual and based on a ridiculous conceit that a law will somehow reign in CRIMINAL activity.

The thing you're not understanding is that the opposition toward gun control isn't actually opposition toward GUN CONTROL - it's opposition toward half-baked laws and legislature that would do nothing to prevent or slow down criminals, but everything to impede a law-abiding citizen's ability to gain access to a firearm for defensive/sporting purposes.

The anti-gun lobby has exhibited an astounding level of ignorance concerning guns (calling magazines "clips" or "magazine clips", throwing the incredibly vague term "assault weapon" around wherever it suits their needs, etc), yet we're supposed to go ahead and let them regulate something that they apparently know nothing about?

Yeah, not happening.

Here's the problem.

As an honest, law-abiding citizen, I personally feel that gun laws are oppressive. Why? Because I will follow them. Because I abide by our laws. I'm not a criminal.

MEANWHILE, the "hoods" in my city will continue to have access to illegal, unregistered guns, and continues to do illegal things WITH those guns.

So what have your laws against guns accomplished? Well, they've made it harder for the law-abiding to obtain guns. What good does that do? No, seriously, what good does that do?

A gun in the possession of a law-abiding citizen is irrelevant. It might as well not exist, except in the cases where that citizen unfortunately has to use it in self defense.

A gun in the hands of a criminal, however, is the problem. And how do you get a criminal to stop doing illegal things? Well, obviously making new laws isn't going to help, considering the fact that our current laws haven't done shit to stop them.

The recidivism in our justice system is the problem. I can't find the statistic, so I'm asking... would you look up for me, the percentage of gun crimes committed by people who already have a history of criminal behavior?

How many times are we going to allow violent criminals to leave prison because we can't afford to keep them there, only for them to murder someone the first chance they get?

How long are we going to tolerate the way our laws pave the way for criminals to run amok?

Schools teach children not to fight back against bullies. We're taught at a young age that we are helpless victims. THAT thinking needs to end. Start there. Start holding people accountable for their actions. Stop trying to hold back the people who merely want to protect themselves. Stop confusing "gun crime" for "gun ownership". Millions upon millions of people in this country are law-abiding, responsible gun owners, and making a law that makes it harder for them to buy a second or third gun isn't going to do jack fucking shit to protect ANYBODY.

Start thinking logically about this gun control bullshit, and once that is achieved, THEN some laws might get passed. But as long as the anti-gun left continue cooking up half-assed, illogical "feel good" bills that anyone with half a brain can see is completely and utterly meaningless, they will be met with opposition.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's been reports of a shooter on the campus of MIT, near Boston.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gunman-reportedly-shoots-police-officer-mit-boston-034906627.html

What is this world coming to?

Witty Name Here:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's been reports of a shooter on the campus of MIT, near Boston.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gunman-reportedly-shoots-police-officer-mit-boston-034906627.html

It appears to be coming to whatever you read about in the news. Also in the news today was the discovery of three new planets in the habitable zone of their stars, new treatments for Alzheimers, a possible method for reversing memory loss, the end of the drought in the US, and new advances in efficient biofuels.

And if you still need perspective, more people died from smoking in the time it took me to write this post than died in the Boston bombings. As abhorrent, dramatic, and despicable as terrorism is, it is not a thing to worry about. In fact, getting people to fear them is how the terrorists do the most damage. Don't let them.

McMullen:

Witty Name Here:

It appears to be coming to whatever you read about in the news. Also in the news today was the discovery of three new planets in the habitable zone of their stars, new treatments for Alzheimers, a possible method for reversing memory loss, the end of the drought in the US, and new advances in efficient biofuels.

And if you still need perspective, more people died from smoking in the time it took me to write this post than died in the Boston bombings. As abhorrent, dramatic, and despicable as terrorism is, it is not a thing to worry about. In fact, getting people to fear them is how the terrorists do the most damage. Don't let them.

Habitable planets are located all the times, we can't get to them.
Treatments are rarely cures.
Possible method? Really? How not-vague.

Morepeople die of smoking? Obviously, but that is self-inflicted harm.
Terrorism is a human killing other humans, and as empathic social beings that ranks as more important than self-harm on the ladder of non-important to tradegy.

The people responsable for the death of an MIT police officer are confirmed to be the same guys who carried out the Boston Marathon bombings. One is dead as of now at 12:26 Pacific time, he died in a shoot out with police. The other suspect took off and they're searching for him at this time.

GrimTuesday:
The people responsable for the death of an MIT police officer are confirmed to be the same guys who carried out the Boston Marathon bombings. One is dead as of now at 12:26 Pacific time, he died in a shoot out with police. The other suspect took off and they're searching for him at this time.

Correction: the suspect is not dead. He is in custody.

The Gentleman:

GrimTuesday:

I'm watching coverage right now, and they are reporting police sources say he is dead, and using the term "accounted for".

link to coverage

http://www1.whdh.com/video/7newslive

GrimTuesday:

The Gentleman:

GrimTuesday:

I'm watching coverage right now, and they are reporting police sources say he is dead.

I'm getting a lot of conflicting reports from multiple sources. Some are saying someone is in custody. Some are saying an officer was shot and died en route to the hospital. Some are saying that was the suspect.

Most are saying a second suspect who engaged police in a firefight with the other suspect is still at large in the neighborhood. Police are conducting a house to house search in the area.

The Gentleman:

GrimTuesday:

The Gentleman:

I'm watching coverage right now, and they are reporting police sources say he is dead.

I'm getting a lot of conflicting reports from multiple sources. Some are saying someone is in custody. Some are saying an officer was shot and killed en route to the hospital. Some are saying that was the suspect.

Most are saying a second suspect who engaged police in a firefight with the other suspect is still at large in the neighborhood. Police are conducting a house to house search in the area.

Yeah, a transit cop was shot, but last I heard he was in stable comdition,though that could have changed. One of the suspects has been shot and killed I think he was the one that died en route.

The second part of your post is definitely correct, that's whats going on right now.

GrimTuesday:
snip

Just saw a clip. The suspect is definitely alive (they stripped him naked before detainment).

The Gentleman:

GrimTuesday:
snip

Just saw a clip. The suspect is definitely alive (they stripped him naked before detainment).

Different guy, seems to be an innocent bystander. One suspect (the one in the black hat in the pictures released by the FBI) is definitely dead.

GrimTuesday:

The Gentleman:

GrimTuesday:
snip

Different guy, seems to be an innocent bystander. One suspect (the one in the black hat in the pictures released by the FBI) is definitely dead.

Confirmed: one suspect is deceased, along with a police officer at MIT.

MichiganMuscle77:

The Gentleman:
Gun violence, however, is endemic. And yet even the most basic and rational regulation of it (which I would say would be the same level of licencing and tracking as automobiles) is met with total opposition.

Because it's ineffectual and based on a ridiculous conceit that a law will somehow reign in CRIMINAL activity.

This is opposed, I presume, to the perfectly rational idea that criminals are a separate species with an insatiable desire to break all laws and magical powers which allow them to circumvent everything which exists to stop them from doing so.

Nikolaz72:

McMullen:

Witty Name Here:

Habitable planets are located all the times, we can't get to them.
Treatments are rarely cures.
Possible method? Really? How not-vague.

Morepeople die of smoking? Obviously, but that is self-inflicted harm.
Terrorism is a human killing other humans, and as empathic social beings that ranks as more important than self-harm on the ladder of non-important to tradegy.

I'm not sure it helps the cause of empathy or social health to work so hard at focusing on the negative. I was trying to point out that terrorists and mass shooters get more attention from people than they deserve, and there is more to life than all the things that go wrong.

Why this almost militant pessimism?

The Gentleman:
... the most basic and rational regulation of it (which I would say would be the same level of licencing and tracking as automobiles) is met with total opposition....

That's what I was getting at. In relevance with this thread, photos and suspects, what might have been the motivation of the bombers?

The Newark Ct. relatives were there, in a show of support for pending gun law legislation. This may have been opposition. Maybe.

Things going nuts here in New England. Appears 1 suspect shot dead at MIT. MIT security man killed. Other suspect shooting and bombing in Watertown MA.

Things are getting hairy.

Gorfias:

The Gentleman:
... the most basic and rational regulation of it (which I would say would be the same level of licencing and tracking as automobiles) is met with total opposition....

That's what I was getting at. In relevance with this thread, photos and suspects, what might have been the motivation of the bombers?

The Newark Ct. relatives were there, in a show of support for pending gun law legislation. This may have been opposition. Maybe.

Ah. I thought you meant something more tangential. It would make sense given that the last mile of the race was in memory of the Newtown event.

Things going nuts here in New England. Appears 1 suspect shot dead at MIT. MIT security man killed. Other suspect shooting and bombing in Watertown MA.

That's the understatement of the morning.

The Gentleman:

Gorfias:

That's the understatement of the morning.

So far on line, this is all I'm seeing.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/one-boston-marathon-suspect-dead-second-run-police-say/story?id=18994511#.UXERsMoXWzQ

On my drive to the gym this morning, the radio may have been full of it, but they were giving a lot more details saying the 2nd guy was shooting up Watertown MA. My wife told me Boston Area Hospitals were on a sort of lock down.

Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times." Yup.

McMullen:
As abhorrent, dramatic, and despicable as terrorism is, it is not a thing to worry about. In fact, getting people to fear them is how the terrorists do the most damage. Don't let them.

Second that...also apply it to mass shooting by people wanting fame and attention.

Every time something like this happens, the media and society at large goes through the same pointless dance, 2-3 weeks later its mostly forgotten about.

NBC just announced the suspects alleged identity and that they are brothers, take this with a grain of salt though given the mistakes we've seen from news coverage over the last few days.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/19/17817173-boston-marathon-suspect-is-killed-second-on-loose-after-extraordinary-firefight?lite

The suspects are brothers with the last name Tsarnaez, law enforcement officials told NBC News. Two law enforcement officials told NBC News that both men had international ties, had been in the United States about a year, were in their early 20s and had military experience.

Edit: The rumour mills are saying they are from Russia, specifically near but not quite in Chechnya, and that one of their first names is Dzhokhar (Edit2: and the other is named Tamerlan). This is all unconfirmed at this point however Edit3: BBC confirmed these names, nationality still unknown though.

I've been following a twitter feed search on Watertown, all morning whilst trying to do work at the same time. It's crazy. When entries come up from news sources I'm skipping past them and concentrating on the (admittedly unconfirmed) eye-witness reports. The photos are unreal. User @Akitz is a lucky guy: he uploaded photos of bullet holes in his wall.

Edit: if these guys are Russian/Chechnyan, it's almost as bad as them being Muslim. The right-wing gun nuts / armchair warriors / CoD & Battlefield writers must think they're dreaming.

Teoes:
Edit: if these guys are Russian/Chechnyan, it's almost as bad as them being Muslim. The right-wing gun nuts / armchair warriors / CoD & Battlefield writers must think they're dreaming.

That's a point.

Altogether now:

"Wolverines!!!!"

Teoes:

Chechnyans tend to be Muslim, so it could well be a double-whammy of anti-American fantasy enemies come true. That said, while the names look almost certain (the BBC is now saying that the officials have identified the fleeing suspect as Dzhokhar Tsarnaez), some sources are saying they may originate from Turkey (or be Chechnyans from Turkey) so their nationality is still up in the air.

http://www.ibtimes.com/boston-marathon-bombing-fallout-bangladeshi-man-beaten-bronx-being-arab-1201819

Already getting angry bigots attacking brown people. Er, over this, I mean.

I got kicked out of my gym in Boston: they're closing down.

Radio guy (who may just be an idiot) said this was a bunch of Russians from the Chechnian region which is experiencing an Islamic incursion. He said, and I'm not kidding, "these guys are bringing Chechnia to the USA".

We'll see.

Gorfias:
I got kicked out of my gym in Boston: they're closing down.

Radio guy (who may just be an idiot) said this was a bunch of Russians from the Chechnian region which is experiencing an Islamic incursion. He said, and I'm not kidding, "these guys are bringing Chechnia to the USA".

We'll see.

Well they are bringing the violence in the region to the USA, so in a sense they are.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked