Explosions at Boston Marathon (Video) 1 Suspect Dead, 1 Injured and in Custody

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

R.Nevermore:

Gorfias:
I got kicked out of my gym in Boston: they're closing down.

Radio guy (who may just be an idiot) said this was a bunch of Russians from the Chechnian region which is experiencing an Islamic incursion. He said, and I'm not kidding, "these guys are bringing Chechnia to the USA".

We'll see.

Well they are bringing the violence in the region to the USA, so in a sense they are.

Was that their goal? What, if not that, is it? Do they think, if pro-Islamic, that we're going to go, "ooh, they murdered an 8 year old boy.. we should support their cause!" or vice versa if they are anti Islamic?

This Hellbound murderous violence seems more senseless by the moment. What could this filth have hoped to accomplish? I cannot imagine.

Gorfias:
Was that their goal? What, if not that, is it? Do they think, if pro-Islamic, that we're going to go, "ooh, they murdered an 8 year old boy.. we should support their cause!" or vice versa if they are anti Islamic?

This Hellbound murderous violence seems more senseless by the moment. What could this filth have hoped to accomplish? I cannot imagine.

I'm wary of labeling such things as "senseless", as if they are things that just happen for no reason. There are causes for such things that we need to be looking into if we are to prevent them in the future.

Presumably the people responsible had goals and aims that will come to light some time in the future.

EDIT: Apparently the two came out as refugees years ago, had stayed in the US since then, went to US schools and all. It's not like they came over recently with the intent of causing havoc, they were more or less home-grown, at least to an extent.

thaluikhain:

I'm wary of labeling such things as "senseless", as if they are things that just happen for no reason. There are causes for such things that we need to be looking into if we are to prevent them in the future.

Presumably the people responsible had goals and aims that will come to light some time in the future.

Not a bad way to be. I can't help but think of the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanishing_%281988_film%29 or "The Golden Egg" where, some monsters do horrible things for no reason, like lightening hitting the innocent. There is no planning. There is just an understanding that some monstrous things are a part of nature and we have to try to live our lives with this evil existing around us as best we can.

I think that is how it is going to be.

thaluikhain:

Gorfias:

EDIT: Apparently the two came out as refugees years ago, had stayed in the US since then, went to US schools and all. It's not like they came over recently with the intent of causing havoc, they were more or less home-grown, at least to an extent.

From what I've heard on the media, those who knew Dzhokhar as a fellow student called him a "walking angel", and another said there were no telltale signs that he had any sort of malicious behavior. So I don't know what to think. I know what the media will be on about for the next few days...

Are we going to get a shiny new dystopian law passed? We already have martial law in a whole city over a cop killing and a 7/11 hold up (makes me wonder why Chicago isn't under martial law 24/7). If a law is passed it'll be like a gift from Chenchnya to the Obama administration.

EDIT- also, why is it that all of these mass killings recently have been from intelligent kids with potentially bright futures? You'd think the people perpetrating mass shootings and bombings would be disenfranchised people from the underbelly of society.

EDIT EDIT- apparently the military is on the scene now along with thousands of SWAT and police officers. It feels like I stumbled into the world of Grand Theft Auto and some jerk entered a cheat code for 6 stars.

Hammartroll:
Are we going to get a shiny new dystopian law passed? We already have martial law in a whole city over a cop killing and a 7/11 hold up (makes me wonder why Chicago isn't under martial law 24/7). If a law is passed it'll be like a gift from Chenchnya to the Obama administration.

EDIT- also, why is it that all of these mass killings recently have been from intelligent kids with potentially bright futures? You'd think the people perpetrating mass shootings and bombings would be disenfranchised people from the underbelly of society.

EDIT EDIT- apparently the military is on the scene now along with thousands of SWAT and police officers. It feels like I stumbled into the world of Grand Theft Auto and some jerk entered a cheat code for 6 stars.

I could be wrong, but these guys were in MIT with a bunch of bombs were they not? Presumably with intent of committing another bombing. It would make sense that they would be capturing these guys (or the remaining guy at least) at any and all costs before something else gets blown up.

If these guys' goal was terror... Mission completed.

I have the strongest feeling that this is some neat false flag operation mainly due to the Texas fertilizer explosion. I am very curious to read about the motives behind this bombing. Three dead in a massive sporting event - this is a very fortunate event. Had this been done well, the death count and injured would have rivaled the 2001 September bombings in NYC. Take this from someone who lived through some very bad things and saw some scenes after the act at a young age. I've lost only one friend, but my family lost many others.

Don't panic and stay safe. The protocol is to call the cops when you see a backpack or any bag left unattended, stay the fuck away and warn others to stay the fuck away.

R.Nevermore:

Hammartroll:

I could be wrong, but these guys were in MIT with a bunch of bombs were they not? Presumably with intent of committing another bombing. It would make sense that they would be capturing these guys (or the remaining guy at least) at any and all costs before something else gets blown up.

I don't know. News is coming so fast with so many potential false leads I can't bother to keep up. Something about a guy jumping off a freeway, something about an old dude with a bomb strapped to him, something about searching a Honda, something about potential bombs scattered around the city, and something about MIT. And then there's all these fake accounts of the guy popping up all over the internet, saying all kinds of extremist things I we can't know is true or not. The only thing I'm interested in is the aftermath.

R.Nevermore:

They were in the neighborhood, but it does not appear they were students there.

-----

Make your own news updates: join the Escapist current events group Happening Now.

TheIronRuler:
I have the strongest feeling that this is some neat false flag operation mainly due to the Texas fertilizer explosion. I am very curious to read about the motives behind this bombing. Three dead in a massive sporting event - this is a very fortunate event. Had this been done well, the death count and injured would have rivaled the 2001 September bombings in NYC. Take this from someone who lived through some very bad things and saw some scenes after the act at a young age. I've lost only one friend, but my family lost many others.

Don't panic and stay safe. The protocol is to call the cops when you see a backpack or any bag left unattended, stay the fuck away and warn others to stay the fuck away.

I have doubts any bombing campaign by these two individuals could have matched 9/11 in casualties, between the four jets, towers and Pentagon that event had a death toll of nearly 3000. On the other hand, major bombing events such as the Madrid train bombings only managed just under 200 and 7/7 London suicide bombings just 52 deaths. Still a magnitude more than these guys managed but not matching up to 9/11 by any means. Otherwise I agree with your post, Boston was fortunate that the explosives were relatively non-lethal (other than the three unlucky deaths), though I feel bad for all the poor people who had to have amputations.

JoJo:

TheIronRuler:

I have doubts any bombing campaign by these two individuals could have matched 9/11 in casualties, between the four jets, towers and Pentagon that event had a death toll of nearly 3000. On the other hand, major bombing events such as the Madrid train bombings only managed just under 200 and 7/7 London suicide bombings just 52 deaths. Still a magnitude more than these guys managed but not matching up to 9/11 by any means. Otherwise I agree with your post, Boston was fortunate that the explosives were relatively non-lethal (other than the three unlucky deaths), though I feel bad for all the poor people who had to have amputations.

Having traveled through Boston during rush hour, I think they were going for flare rather than casualties. Those bombs would have been much more effective as subway bombs during rush hour.

-----

Make your own news updates: join the Escapist current events group Happening Now. (I'll shut up about this when we get enough members to sustain ourselves).

JoJo:

TheIronRuler:

There were only two bombs, and they were pretty basic shrapnel bombs (lots and lots of injuries, not a lot of deaths). It could have been much much worse even if it had been only two people.

The Gentleman:

JoJo:

TheIronRuler:

Having traveled through Boston during rush hour, I think they were going for flare rather than casualties. Those bombs would have been much more effective as subway bombs during rush hour.

Quite possibly, I hope they reel in the second suspect alive so we can find out his motives. Assuming they are Muslim extremists, which looks likely at the moment, I'm interested to know why they didn't just blow themselves up and get a free ticket to 72 virgins or whatever. Maybe they were planning an extended bombing campaign and didn't realise how fast the FBI would get on their tail.

Isn't all of this a TOTAL overreaction by the FBI. I mean locking down a city with several 100000 inhabitants seems to me to be overkill.

The probability of encountering one madman in the city is fairly small.

Gorr:
Isn't all of this a TOTAL overreaction by the FBI. I mean locking down a city with several 100000 inhabitants seems to me to be overkill.

Boston is full of madmen...

But seriously, it seems to me they have reason to believe that the bombers had a plan to continue their rampage, but with no specifics they're just protecting everyone. Perhaps they suspect others involved in their organization or that devices might be placed elsewhere.

R.Nevermore:

Gorr:

Boston is full of madmen...

But seriously, it seems to me they have reason to believe that the bombers had a plan to continue their rampage, but with no specifics they're just protecting everyone. Perhaps they suspect others involved in their organization or that devices might be placed elsewhere.

Both additional explosives and the possibility of a third suspect have been floated around in the last few hours.

-----

Make your own news updates: join the Escapist current events group Happening Now.

The father (who is in Russia) says he believes if they kill his other son then it's an inside job. He's also requested that his son give up and turn himself in.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boston-bomb-suspects-dad-tells-son-surrender-hell/story?id=18995936#.UXGVj7WG2So

The conflicting reports are annoying me. Sources near to him (friends and family) are saying that he was an outgoing, normal young man, while other sources which just seem like dodgy internet profiles to me, are saying that he was an aloof and conservative Muslim who couldn't relate to anyone. Needless to say the conservative news sites are freaking out over the idea that he might have been a radical Muslim.

Also, these police better not start kicking in doors.

EDIT- The Aunt is saying that it was staged Too!

Hammartroll:
The father (who is in Russia) says he believes if they kill his other son then it's an inside job. He's also requested that his son give up and turn himself in.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boston-bomb-suspects-dad-tells-son-surrender-hell/story?id=18995936#.UXGVj7WG2So

The conflicting reports are annoying me. Sources near to him (friends and family) are saying that he was an outgoing, normal young man, while other sources which just seem like dodgy internet profiles to me, are saying that he was an aloof and conservative Muslim who couldn't relate to anyone. Needless to say the conservative news sites are freaking out over the idea that he might have been a radical Muslim.

I'm classifying that as the standard denial when someone you know well does something horrific, not a sign of any conspiracy.

The Gentleman:

Hammartroll:

I'm classifying that as the standard denial when someone you know well does something horrific, not a sign of any conspiracy.

People often have a hard time accepting that someone they know and/or love has done something horrible, so they try to find something to rationalize and explain it in their mind. We can just hope they catch the other guy alive so we can hopefully have some more insight into their motivations. I'm tired of hearing about motivations from law enforcement officials. While I do believe them, we'll hear the endless parade of conspiracy nutters who think that the big bad government bombed its own people and framed these guys.

It might just be me but i wonder if the suspect fleeing actually means he's guilty. Chechens(?) don't exactly have the best rapport with the Russian security forces in the region, with both sides suspicious of the other and just waiting for them to attack; it could be possible that this guy just doesn't trust cops and fled for fear of facing treatment that he's come to expect from the police from all the stories he heard back in Chechnya.

But if he is responsible some Right wingers are going to have hard ons for a month; Russian Muslims attacking America?! That's the best of the 20th and 21st century threats all rolled into one.

Karma168:
It might just be me but i wonder if the suspect fleeing actually means he's guilty. Chechens(?) don't exactly have the best rapport with the Russian security forces in the region, with both sides suspicious of the other and just waiting for them to attack; it could be possible that this guy just doesn't trust cops and fled for fear of facing treatment that he's come to expect from the police from all the stories he heard back in Chechnya.

At this point I would say he's less running because of the stories of the old country (he has been in the US since 2001) and more because of his brother getting gunned down in front of him by police....

Karma168:

But if he is responsible some Right wingers are going to have hard ons for a month; Russian Muslims attacking America?! That's the best of the 20th and 21st century threats all rolled into one.

Even if he wasnt guilty, getting into a shoot out and lobbing bombs at the cops is a serious enough offence... And one cop is dead as a result.

R.Nevermore:

The Gentleman:

Hammartroll:

People often have a hard time accepting that someone they know and/or love has done something horrible, so they try to find something to rationalize and explain it in their mind. We can just hope they catch the other guy alive so we can hopefully have some more insight into their motivations. I'm tired of hearing about motivations from law enforcement officials. While I do believe them, we'll hear the endless parade of conspiracy nutters who think that the big bad government bombed its own people and framed these guys.

Just heard the interview with their mother and she's saying the same thing: her sons were set up. So that makes it 3 family members now who are standing behind this story.

At this point, I guess we have to wait for any further evidence to come out, things like web sites they've visited, phone calls, etc. How many times have we had people who couldn't believe that a friend/loved one was responsible for something until that kind of evidence comes out and proves otherwise? I imagine it will be days before we start hearing about any of that, and that's if we don't apprehend the guy first. I certainly hope we catch the guy alive.

The Gentleman:

Hammartroll:

But where IS the evidence that he did it? The only thing they got on him is that he allegedly shot a cop and robbed a store. What's making everyone so sure it was him?

Hammartroll:

But where IS the evidence that he did it? The only thing they got on him is that he allegedly shot a cop and robbed a store. What's making everyone so sure it was him?

I'd imagine they are keeping some details classified considering it is still an ongoing investigation. We will need to wait for all of this to be over to know what really happened and some details might never be released to the public.

Hammartroll:

They were at the scene of the bombing at the time, they've found explosives in the pair's house and some sort of IED on the dead brother's body, apparently they confessed to the guy they took hostage in the car and later released unharmed that they were responsible for the bombing. Unless one takes the position that the FBI is lying to the press, it looks pretty certain at this point.

I think they got the 2nd suspect hiding under a boat in someone's yard. This is after they said they were winding down the search which may have made the guy cocky and stick his head out.

I hope they take him alive.

Hammartroll:

You have to keep in mind the mentality of people towards their governments in other parts of the world. In Russia im not sure how high the trust in the government is but id suspect that Chechnyans dont have alot of trust for the Russian government.

Update: Just saw on CNN that the police believe they have the second suspect surrounded in a house in Watertown.

Gorfias:
I hope they take him alive.

Everybody does. He holds the only key to their motivations and whether or not there are more people involved.

Gorfias:

R.Nevermore:

Gorfias:
I got kicked out of my gym in Boston: they're closing down.

Radio guy (who may just be an idiot) said this was a bunch of Russians from the Chechnian region which is experiencing an Islamic incursion. He said, and I'm not kidding, "these guys are bringing Chechnia to the USA".

We'll see.

Well they are bringing the violence in the region to the USA, so in a sense they are.

First things first Chechens are not Russians, calling them such is part of why they are so angry. Chechnya is a seperatist region in the Russian federation comprised mainly of Muslims that has been the subject of a fairly brutal war going back decades. Belsen was them, the Moscow theatre siege was them. Also, it is important to note that, as far as I understand it, the Chechens are nationalists who are united by a shared identity, part of which is Islam, this is in contrast with, say AQ, who are Mujahideen fighting for the sake of a unified Dar al Islam. The Chechens and the classical Muj cooperated, but not to the extent that we normally see with AQ, JI, the Taliban or the other Near, Middle and SE Asian terrorist collective groups.

So all in all this had nothing to do with the west until 2001 and the advent of the war on terror. Suddenly, anyone fighting Muslim terrorists was good, anyone supporting them, or being Muslim while being a terrorist was bad and so the US found herself aligning with a lot of nations that, under the pre-war on terror nationalist modal of conflict (which we will probably see re-surface relatively soon) would have been enemies, in this case Russia.

Russia, according to the doctrine of 'lets all fuck on the Mujihadeen' was in the right in Chechnya and the Chechens were moved firmly over into a participating member of the 'classical' Muj, in opposition to, what for them is, the lesser Satan to the Russian federation's Great Satan. (again this is in contrast with most other Muj in that they see the US as the Great satan, a phrase which has been mocked as radical nonsense but really only means 'our biggest enemy')

So now, Chechnya sees the US as her enemy and a prevailing line of thought is one of 'bringing the war to them' a sort of 'if you bring us into your war, we will bring you into ours'. So the bloke on the radio may have had a point in that if, and that is a big if based on the information currently available, this attack was motivated by the Chechen heritage of the bombers, they are trying to bring Chechnya into the US, not as a culture, not as a religion, but as a conflict. That is what they are trying to achieve with this bombing. Again, that is only if they are motivated by their Chechen heritage.

Watching a live news stream, and they're saying that shots were fired as soon as police lifted the lockdown, and now they're slowly moving in on the boat. There's no word on if the suspect is dead or alive, but the police are being cautious in case he too is wired with explosives.

the clockmaker:
That is what they are trying to achieve with this bombing. Again, that is only if they are motivated by their Chechen heritage.

I think that's possibly too sophisticated a reading. People are not motivated by some shared national "call of the blood", they're generally motivated by very individual desires, needs and frustrations.

I think it's poor taste to speculate too much in cases like this, but if I had to, I'd say the motive here is closer to home, more a fantasy of the Chechen struggle than any actual reality. America has a long history of producing angry young men who use public violence to try and leave a mark on history, that strikes me as a far more likely factor here than any experience of the actual realities of the Chechen struggle.

While media and social commentary here will doubtless focus intently on the political motive, I suspect it's not actually that important in this case. Of course I could be dead wrong, which is why I said I don't like speculating. It's just kind of sad to watch people scrabble to redraw the traditional lines between "terrorism" and "mass killing" and make broad assumptions about motives and reasons on the basis, essentially, of what kind of person is doing the killing.

Watching it live. The suspect is in custudy alive.

Shadowstar38:
Watching it live. The suspect is in custudy alive.

Confirmed, suspect is alive and in custody.

-----

Follow events like this with us as they happen: join the Escapist group Happening Now.

the clockmaker:

Gorfias:

R.Nevermore:

First things first Chechens are not Russians, calling them such is part of why they are so angry. Chechnya is a seperatist region in the Russian federation comprised mainly of Muslims that has been the subject of a fairly brutal war going back decades. Belsen was them, the Moscow theatre siege was them. Also, it is important to note that, as far as I understand it, the Chechens are nationalists who are united by a shared identity, part of which is Islam, this is in contrast with, say AQ, who are Mujahideen fighting for the sake of a unified Dar al Islam. The Chechens and the classical Muj cooperated, but not to the extent that we normally see with AQ, JI, the Taliban or the other Near, Middle and SE Asian terrorist collective groups.

So all in all this had nothing to do with the west until 2001 and the advent of the war on terror. Suddenly, anyone fighting Muslim terrorists was good, anyone supporting them, or being Muslim while being a terrorist was bad and so the US found herself aligning with a lot of nations that, under the pre-war on terror nationalist modal of conflict (which we will probably see re-surface relatively soon) would have been enemies, in this case Russia.

Russia, according to the doctrine of 'lets all fuck on the Mujihadeen' was in the right in Chechnya and the Chechens were moved firmly over into a participating member of the 'classical' Muj, in opposition to, what for them is, the lesser Satan to the Russian federation's Great Satan. (again this is in contrast with most other Muj in that they see the US as the Great satan, a phrase which has been mocked as radical nonsense but really only means 'our biggest enemy')

So now, Chechnya sees the US as her enemy and a prevailing line of thought is one of 'bringing the war to them' a sort of 'if you bring us into your war, we will bring you into ours'. So the bloke on the radio may have had a point in that if, and that is a big if based on the information currently available, this attack was motivated by the Chechen heritage of the bombers, they are trying to bring Chechnya into the US, not as a culture, not as a religion, but as a conflict. That is what they are trying to achieve with this bombing. Again, that is only if they are motivated by their Chechen heritage.

You do realize that the Chechen started both conflicts with Russia right?
The first war was started with them storming the ASSR and literally throwing the head of the party out of the window, and the 2nd one was caused by Chechen militia's and the Islamic International Brigade invading Dagestan.
The majority of the Chechen fighters at least initially came from Afghanistan, mixed with former soviet military leaders that wanted to accomplish their dictator dreams. Since then they've been fighting on at least 3 continents flying under the various black flags and banners of the global Islamic jihad.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked