Explosions at Boston Marathon (Video) 1 Suspect Dead, 1 Injured and in Custody

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

They've caught him and he's alive?

It's too soon to call "All Clear" until he's been interrogated and the authorities have learned whether there are even more explosives and--of course--whether anyone besides the two brothers were involved.

I haven't seen Movie Bob's show today--I wonder how he's taking this. Boston is his home. I hope he's all right.

R.Nevermore:

Gorr:

The probability of encountering one madman in the city is fairly small.

Boston is full of madmen...

Bob isn't quite that bad... <.<

The Gentleman:

Shadowstar38:
Watching it live. The suspect is in custudy alive.

Confirmed, suspect is alive and in custody.

-----

Follow events like this with us as they happen: join the Escapist group Happening Now.

Yay I hope now we can find out why they did this. Also help the families of those who died find some peace with this guy in jail for life.

This entire thing is so heartbreaking. I feel horrible for everyone involved. We have people injured, missing limbs and killed. Families torn apart, His brother dead, his life over at 19, and for what? It is so senseless. He looks like a punk teenager that ruined his life before it even started. It is horrible. We have to look at how these things can be prevented before it comes to this. Not by " regulate regulate regulate", but as a society. We have to address the social issues causing these tragedies, or these things are only going to get worse. Look at what is happening in this day and time, and how can we work together as a society to instill a greater value on life, and respect for one another so these things will only be a "dark past history of the human civilization". These things need to be made only a terrible distant memory we read about from the past and not the world we live in. We have to look at how we can go about changing this so this is our reality and not what we currently live with.

Absolutely fantastic work by the Police.

Let's also remember that the suspect is wounded, and that there are medical personnel who have to care for him... keep those people in your thoughts, they have the toughest job in the country right now.

Lil devils x:
His brother dead, his life over at 19

Just to clarify, the 19 year-old is alive. His older brother was pronounced dead at the hospital after being wounded in a gun fight.

On another note: the Onion probably summed up the last week pretty well.

Money Quote:
"Maybe next time we have a week, they can try not to pack it completely to the fucking brim with explosions, mutilations, death, manhunts, lies, weeping, and the utter uselessness of our political system," said basically every person in America who isn't comatose or a complete sociopath. "You know, maybe try to spread some of that total misery across the other 51 weeks in the year. Just a thought."

-----

Since this is a new page: join the Escapist current events group Happening Now.

The Gentleman:

Lil devils x:

Just to clarify, the 19 year-old is alive. His older brother was pronounced dead at the hospital after being wounded in a gun fight.

Money Quote:
"Maybe next time we have a week, they can try not to pack it completely to the fucking brim with explosions, mutilations, death, manhunts, lies, weeping, and the utter uselessness of our political system," said basically every person in America who isn't comatose or a complete sociopath. "You know, maybe try to spread some of that total misery across the other 51 weeks in the year. Just a thought."

-----

I think she meant the 19 year olds life in general is over.

this was all predicted on Monday.
i don't know who to believe, but i know something isn't right here.

The Gentleman:

Lil devils x:

Money Quote:

-----

I understood that the 19 yr old was alive, but at 19 when he should be starting his life, it is already over due to his actions.
I honestly have refrained from comment on this because it is too senseless, too awful to think of how we allow these things to happen. Yes, I feel the responsibility lies on the society itself and the conditons that the society itself produces this to happen. What could lead someone to do such senseless things? That is what we have to address here. We have to gain a respect for one another and for life in order to solve this so these things do not happen anymore.

Because this is a federal crime there is a very real possibility that he will face the death penalty. That is good. It is what he deserves.

bloodmage2:

1) No one has said he used Reloading Powder.
2) No one has said he had anything like that in his house.
3) He didn't say where he was; for all we know, this dude is from New Hampshire, New York, or a crowded part of California or Texas!
4) I don't trust anonymous sources.
5) They haven't said he's mentally unstable (Though that's what I think our shooters where), they've been saying he's a Chechnian, Islamic Terrorist.
6) This is 4Chan. They can post whatever they want. I bet someone could find about 50 posts saying "Bad things are gonna happen, and I know about it for x, y, and z".

So, I don't believe it.

I'm glad they got this guy, though.

kiri2tsubasa:
Because this is a federal crime there is a very real possibility that he will face the death penalty. That is good. It is what he deserves.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a "Federal Crime", although if the bombings scratched any government property it can be turned into one.

kiri2tsubasa:

It's definitely a felony, but Massachusetts doesn't do capital punishment. It was abolished a long while back.

Kopikatsu:

kiri2tsubasa:

It's definitely a felony, but Massachusetts doesn't do capital punishment. It was abolished a long while back.

Federal law may over-ride. I could be mistaken. That would be ironic: Massachusetts politically tilts towards steering more power to a centralized authority. Imagine if they're anti-death penalty policy were over-ridden by centralized authority. Reviewing.

EDIT: Seems likely: Federal law can trump Mass. State law on death penalty.

http://www.nodp.org/ma/f1.html

Gorfias:

Kopikatsu:

kiri2tsubasa:

Federal law may over-ride. I could be mistaken. That would be ironic: Massachusetts politically tilts towards steering more power to a centralized authority. Imagine if they're anti-death penalty policy were over-ridden by centralized authority. Reviewing.

Federal law only overrides state law on the death penalty in the case of treason. I guess it could be argued that what he did was treason since he had a green card (I think), but I don't think it'll go over well.

That's how Toby Che...Chebat...I don't remember his name. Some guy named Toby was executed in Michigan because even though they'd abolished the death penalty, the federal government used a loophole to execute him anyway (That is, claiming that he was a traitor).

Kopikatsu:

Gorfias:

Kopikatsu:

Federal law only overrides state law on the death penalty in the case of treason. I guess it could be argued that what he did was treason since he had a green card (I think), but I don't think it'll go over well.

Do you have a link on the treason thing? This link I edited in above http://www.nodp.org/ma/f1.html seems counter to your point. I can't recall what, but I thought Bill Clinton signed further Federal death penalty laws.

I certainly could see the Fed deferring to the State where they duplicate. You could be right.

I'd be happy to let this guy rot in jail though, even though I'm pro death penalty. In his case, that seems too nice.

Mr.Mattress:

bloodmage2:

http://www.examiner.com/article/senator-to-propose-bill-regulating-black-power-wake-of-boston-massacre

you were saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Apfc11Cdx4c
not directly finding it, but the NRA is being painted as complicit.

i'm not saying this is 100% beyond all doubt, im saying consider it.

5) They haven't said he's mentally unstable (Though that's what I think our shooters where), they've been saying he's a Chechnian, Islamic Terrorist.

a professional terrorist would not have let himself get captured. he would have either gotten away or killed himself.

6) This is 4Chan. They can post whatever they want. I bet someone could find about 50 posts saying "Bad things are gonna happen, and I know about it for x, y, and z".

do you actually go to 4chan? that isn't at all true.

i don't know what is going on for sure. but i do know that the cries for this kid's blood is making me uneasy.

Gorfias:

Kopikatsu:

Gorfias:

Do you have a link on the treason thing? This link I edited in above http://www.nodp.org/ma/f1.html seems counter to your point. I can't recall what, but I thought Bill Clinton signed further Federal death penalty laws.

I certainly could see the Fed deferring to the State where they duplicate. You could be right.

I'd be happy to let this guy rot in jail though, even though I'm pro death penalty. In his case, that seems too nice.

In what you linked, two of the death sentences didn't go through (Their charges were dropped to a prison sentence as opposed to death). Sampson was sentenced to death in Mass, but an addendum was added to allow prosecutors to seek the death penalty when a murder is committed during a carjacking in....1994, I think? That's not a loophole though, since...it's explicitly permitted. There were a massive number of protests going on during the Sampson trial though, with residents of Mass. screaming bloody murder that the government was stepping over their state rights. I think there was rioting in some places, but my memory is hazy.

In any case...I can't remember the exact law that permits an exception in the case of treason, but I imagine it would be part of the Espionage Act of 1917(?). Because the requirements to prove that someone is a traitor are actually very strict, to the point where many spys weren't legally considered to be a traitor. So they came up with the Espionage Act in order to create a loophole to get around the constitution's definition of treason in order to sentence pretty much whoever they wanted of treason. Well, espionage.

My mom actually says she feels sorry for one of the terrorists who blew up two bombs in Boston because he's only 19. She feels sorry!? The kid blew up two bombs, killed five people, and injured almost 200 and she feels SORRY for HIM! It makes me wonder if other people actually think this way.

All I have to say is that if he did do it (Which is highly likely) then he deserves whatever he gets.

TKretts3:
My mom actually says she feels sorry for one of the terrorists who blew up two bombs in Boston because he's only 19. She feels sorry!? The kid blew up two bombs, killed five people, and injured almost 200 and she feels SORRY for HIM! It makes me wonder if other people actually think this way.

All I have to say is that if he did do it (Which is highly likely) then he deserves whatever he gets.

Most people feel that way. It's why we have so many protections in place for minors, regardless of the crimes they've committed. (Technically those end at 18, but the mindset that they must be protected doesn't.)

On the other hand, more and more minors are being prosecuted as adults. So there's that.

TKretts3:

I think it is the idea that he is a stupid teenager who did not fully understand what he was doing that makes one feel bad for him for what happened. The brain does not fully mature until mid 20's, and this is the reason why so many teens do not stop themselves from doing stupid things. Their " stop mechanisms" and ability to think ahead are not developed properly until the brain is matured. By the time his brain fully matures and he is fully capable of realizing the full extent of what he was doing, it is too late, as it is too late for him to stop himself. That is not saying that he would have stopped himself being capable of doing such things in the first place, but rather he would have more capability to stop himself. There is the fact that he is a stupid teenager, and the fact that he very well could have been brainwashed and indoctrinated into something that he would never have done otherwise. Teens are gullible, and lack the real world experience to fully understand the world they live in. It is a terrible tragedy. For his family, for those killed and injured, the sadistic society that starts chanting " USA" and cheering over this horrific event. They are cheering, yet that man in the wheelchair will never have his legs return. That injured mother and daughter in the hospital lost a son and a brother. They are not getting him back just because they caught this guy. The entire idea that anyone should be celebrating this is sadistic. It is a symptom of a sick society that lacks the respect for one another or for life. It is a disgusting display TBH.

Lil devils x:
I think it is the idea that he is a stupid teenager who did not fully understand what he was doing that makes one feel bad for him for what happened. The brain does not fully mature until mid 20's, and this is the reason why so many teens do not stop themselves from doing stupid things. Their " stop mechanisms" and ability to think ahead are not developed properly until the brain is matured. By the time his brain fully matures and he is fully capable of realizing the full extent of what he was doing, it is too late, as it is too late for him to stop himself. That is not saying that he would have stopped himself being capable of doing such things in the first place, but rather he would have more capability to stop himself. There is the fact that he is a stupid teenager, and the fact that he very well could have been brainwashed and indoctrinated into something that he would never have done otherwise. Teens are gullible, and lack the real world experience to fully understand the world they live in. It is a terrible tragedy. For his family, for those killed and injured, the sadistic society that starts chanting " USA" and cheering over this horrific event. They are cheering, yet that man in the wheelchair will never have his legs return. That injured mother and daughter in the hospital lost a son and a brother. They are not getting him back just because they caught this guy. The entire idea that anyone should be celebrating this is sadistic. It is a symptom of a sick society that lacks the respect for one another or for life. It is a disgusting display TBH.

Well, it's something.

I'm not really surprised to see how a young teenager could do this. Chechnya has been in political turmoil for at least twenty years. Occupied by Russia since USSR days, rebels fighting for independence while the international community does nothing, the brothers having spent a large portion of their young childhood on the run in other countries. It doesn't help that from what I've heard, the family essentially abandoned them in the US after the brothers arrive. Father returned to Russia, mother disappeared and only now came out, the Uncle practically insulting them.

So having spent your life on the run in fear, you come to the US. The US, a place where a large portion of the world would say is a bastion of freedom and world peace. Then you see that politically we're inept, our foreign policy is to ignore everything except what would directly affect the country(hence Chechnya's problem with Russia still continuing), and our populace living in world ignorance with shows such as Jersey Shore and American Idol being some of the top shows in the country. Yet while not experiencing the horrors of their native Chechnya's troubles, they stayed close to their homeland and what goes on there.

Like what I've heard from some Chechnya natives that fled to here, the boys most likely are making a statement that by ignoring the oppression of the Chechnyans by the Russians, the US should feel the horror and pain that the Chechnyans have felt for decades.

Of course, this is all my speculation. But if the boys were the guilty party in the Boston Marathon bombing(exposing Chechnya to the world through an international event), then what they did worked. Though everything is pointing to these two at least.

Kopikatsu:

Gorfias:
http://www.nodp.org/ma/f1.html

it's explicitly permitted. There were a massive number of protests going on during the Sampson trial though, with residents of Mass. screaming bloody murder that the government was stepping over their state rights.

That's what I find ironic. There are those in the Mass. community that call State's rights code for racism. Until it is their state being crossed.

As for this "kid" he is 19. We have E-3 military members that age. He isn't a minor. I can believe at that age, we're all still pretty dumb though.

I imagine he'll be looking at life behind bars. We'll see what happens if he develops cancer at age 60 and wants out. It might depend on what his actual story is now.

Kopikatsu:

Gorfias:

Kopikatsu:

That's how Toby Che...Chebat...I don't remember his name. Some guy named Toby was executed in Michigan because even though they'd abolished the death penalty, the federal government used a loophole to execute him anyway (That is, claiming that he was a traitor).

The 19 year old became a naturalized citizen so treason could apply, it was the brother that had the green card.

LordOfInsanity:

Of course, this is all my speculation. But if the boys were the guilty party in the Boston Marathon bombing(exposing Chechnya to the world through an international event), then what they did worked. Though everything is pointing to these two at least.

Only then we'll invade it, destroy it, fumble shaping it back up, and leave.

Because fuck the world even if we are the world.

(ok, very unlikely but going by the last 10 years...)

BBboy20:

LordOfInsanity:

Only then we'll invade it, destroy it, fumble shaping it back up, and leave.

Because fuck the world even if we are the world.

(ok, very unlikely but going by the last 10 years...)

Not really the last ten years. That's been our MO for the past 40 at least. I'd say since before Reagan really.

The main problem is that this would be directly involving Russia, since Chechnya is currently a satellite country under the Russian Federation alliance. So if we did invade, we'd either go against Russia, or they'd be egging us on from the sidelines, cheering at us for doing their dirty work.

bloodmage2:

a professional terrorist would not have let himself get captured. he would have either gotten away or killed himself.

Yeah, I heard that in the case of legitimate terrorism, the perpetrator's body can defend itself from capture.

I tend not to trust things like that anonymous post, especially when they sound so much like some Nigerian scam letter. If all the predictions came true, then maybe it would be noteworthy. The Friday thing is still a lucky guess. Besides, how sure are you, really, that the timestamp of April 15 is real?

TKretts3:

I agree with your mother, I feel sorry for him, just as I feel sorry for all other people who commit acts such as these. I feel sorry for them because they have thrown their lives away for a pointless cause, usually manipulated by those they look up to. They give their lives to a cause that would be better served by becoming educated, and working to attain their goals through legal, and peaceful means. Perhaps these one of these two young men would one day have been the light that would guide the homeland that they obviously love, to independence through peaceful means. Now, instead they have fostered a resentment in hearts of Americans, a resentment that will only undermine the efforts of those who seek to attain those goals through peaceful means. For this, and the wasted potential of their lives, I feel sorry for him. Does that mean I think he should go unpunished, no, it does not, and I doubt that is what your mother is saying when she says she feels sorry for him.

TKretts3:

I'm of a similar view as your Mother. I am sympathetic to the victims of cause, most rational people are. But take a look at the guy who did for a moment. He's 19, he should have his whole life in front of him. Yet now, it is more or less forfeit. We don't yet know what led him to commit this action, though it could be influence from another (maybe his older brother?), but what I do know is his life is basically over at this point, all because of a stupid choice he made that he can not go back on. It's tragic on both sides.

bloodmage2:

Mr.Mattress:

bloodmage2:

http://www.examiner.com/article/senator-to-propose-bill-regulating-black-power-wake-of-boston-massacre

you were saying?

First time I heard of it. My apologies.

bloodmage2:

Mr.Mattress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Apfc11Cdx4c
not directly finding it, but the NRA is being painted as complicit.

Well, of course they are, they're painting the NRA as complicit in every case of Terrorism and Mass Murder.

bloodmage2:

Mr.Mattress:

i'm not saying this is 100% beyond all doubt, im saying consider it.

I feel like he just got really really lucky. Like Nostrodomus. Plus, he was vague on a lot of things, like location.

bloodmage2:

Mr.Mattress:

Right, because as we all know, The Blink Sheik was able to kill himself before his arrest.

bloodmage2:

Mr.Mattress:

do you actually go to 4chan? that isn't at all true.

Nah, I've heard some bad stuff about 4chan. I remember another thread where someone posted a pic from 4Chan, though, that predicted another event a few days before it happened. I don't remember if it was a good thing or a bad thing, all I remember is it happened.

I'm just saying that this is really coincidental, and that this guy got lucky. He probably had no idea bad things were going to happen, he was just trolling, and then bad things happened.

TKretts3:

I can understand that, I could feel sorry for him as well. To an extent. Not to the extent that I don't want him (if guilty) prosecuted to the full extent of the law, or that it overshadows the sympathy for the victims. There's an important distinction there.

Having said that, yeah, the distinction is often totally lost on people. Steubenville comes to mind, many people thought it a tragedy that the guilty were punished while not caring about the victim. In some sense the guilty have been failed by society and are thus victims themselves, but that road should be trod very carefully.

Kopikatsu:

I'd have misgivings about trying to slap a treason charge on him. While it's a major crime he's not working against the US government; charging him with treason leaves the door open to saying anyone who commits a major felony is a traitor because they have attacked the peace of the US, it's just scraping the barrel to try charge someone with as much as possible as an intimidation technique

Karma168:

Kopikatsu:

I'd have misgivings about trying to slap a treason charge on him. While it's a major crime he's not working against the US government; charging him with treason leaves the door open to saying anyone who commits a major felony is a traitor because they have attacked the peace of the US, it's just scraping the barrel to try charge someone with as much as possible as an intimidation technique

Yeah, second that. Several counts of murder, a bunch more of attempted murder or assault, firing on a police officer...you don't need to add treason.

That missing guy that people said might have been behind it (for a bit before tehy moved on to someone else) has maybe been found...kinda.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04/23/providence-police-say-body-found-river-could-missing-former-brown-student-sunil-tripathi/Xmj50CyM73PPrjHDirdm0M/story.html

TKretts3:

I feel sorry for him too. Doesn't mean I don't think he should be absolved of the consequences for what he did, just that I have empathy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked