Bioshock Infinite, Religion and Refunds

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Aw, man.
We were doing so well. A game with a heavy religious undertone and the internet kept it's jimmies relatively unrustled. Nobody was upset, nobody was taking shots at anybody else... And then somebody had their jimmies rustled. And there goes the streak.
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about you guys, I'm talking about the guy in the article.
Anyway.
I'm sure I'm not the only Christian here who still had a great time with the game. Granted, I'm not as devout as I could be but still. Heck, one of my best friends is an incredibly devout Seventh-Day Adventist and he loves Infinite. *sigh* But still, I kind of see where he's coming from. I don't agree with it, at all, but I understand it. Sort of.

Danny Ocean:
What? How narrow-minded is that? I'm not religious, but I can still enjoy the Qu'ran, Torah, Bible, and so on. Does he think he can just live his life in an echo chamber without exposing himself to the ideals of others?

Get real.

I don't think holy books are meant to be enjoyed by Atheists. Speaking of narrow-mindedness, you are totally missing the point why a decent Christian cannot refuse a baptism. It's like spitting in your mother's face, it's disrespectful. If you remain open-minded you will be more tolerant of other people's beliefs, but first you need to realize that you're being a hypocrite.

SKaREO:

I don't think holy books are meant to be enjoyed by Atheists. Speaking of narrow-mindedness, you are totally missing the point why a decent Christian cannot refuse a baptism. It's like spitting in your mother's face, it's disrespectful. If you remain open-minded you will be more tolerant of other people's beliefs, but first you need to realize that you're being a hypocrite.

He is not being open minded because he is refusing to even be exposed to the idea of having this baptism in the game. As soon as he realised what was going on he switched it off and complained. It's like me not going to a Muslim country because I'm not a Muslim.

You don't have to actually partake in an act to be open minded about it.

wa

ninjaRiv:

In his letter to Valve, he says this section of the game is so offensive to his religion, he couldn't go on playing it. He also compares it to a Muslim player being forced to spit in the face of Allah.

wtf? what religion is this guy? how can he compare it to that quote? who would ever force a muslim to spit in the face of Allah? really that would be dumb.

this seem like bs. its a game. aka the art of an artist. you only playing the story out which has already been written. that character isnt you.

It was a poop game that put in racism and religion to sound deep, but not say much of anything. Although they did get one point right in showing what happened to Columbia after the revolution succeeded. See Haiti after the French left and Zimbabwe after the British left.

But he had no problem with all the violence in the game, right?

You guys see my avatar, right? Well that's the real me. I'm totally a dragon.

And as a dragon, I'm going to write Steam and demand a refund for my copy of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition, for its malevolent representation of dragons. You see that dragon on that bridge? All it does is breathe fire on you!

Which leads me to the first big offense: it wants nothing more than to kill you, no reason! No rationalization! No clear indication of its desires or feelings or what it's trying to do other than be a malevolent force to hinder you! Clearly a real one of our species would've stopped to say hello and offer a spot of tea and cakes or, at the very least, provide a reasonable explanation of why they can't proceed past the bridge before they resort to force, but no, just fire breathing! Brutality! It makes me sick.

So you're forced to go down under the bridge (yeah, great way to sort out your problems with people you don't agree with, by just walking around them and circumventing them) as a detour, where you can see the dragon's tail, leading up to the second offense this atrocity you humans call software shoots at: you can shoot at the dragon's tail! But it'd be one thing if it didn't result in anything, but it does; shoot it enough times, and you get a powerful sword in your inventory. That's right- the game rewards you for brutality against dragons. Do you realize the stereotypes, biases and anti-draconic sentiments this kind of imagery perpetuates? The tail is such a wondrous aspect of the dragon body and you just... shoot it for a reward?! Just... rrrrgh!

I clearly cannot play this filth. I'm writing them for a refund, and I want it now.

The huge portion of the game is a parody and deconstruction of American protestantism. Plenty of games deconstruct and parody religion, even as a Christian I don't quite understand the problem. I'm not going to say he's wrong to be offended, if there's one thing I've learned it's that everybody holds and regards God differently. Some are very reverent, and others aren't so caught up in symbols. It's really not worth arguing who is right or wrong because that isn't going to stop anybody from doing what they want.

The reason I don't understand is because, as the OP pointed out, at the very least the person had to have known they were about to play a game that involves killing a lot of people in very brutal and visceral ways. If witnessing a fake baptism of a fake character in a fake world is something he isn't comfortable with in the way he regards God, then where does the fake killing of fake people stand? It's not like Booker was willingly baptized. While again people regard God differently, I think it's hard to argue that being forced to be baptized is probably not as bad in God's eyes as willingly killing hundreds of innocents, stealing, and being what amounts to a mercenary.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked