Well THAT will end well...(Armed March On Washington)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

farson135:
SNIP

Wait wait wait. In ALL of my points im going under the assumption you are rebelling TODAY. At this exact moment you decide that you hate Obama or whatever enough to go start a revolution or secede. Many have already voiced such an opinion. The reasons you get to recruit people are the reasons that stand currently.

See i think im arguing against a scenario i might agree with. Even I would rebel if the government became some awful ridiculous cliche evil baby eating club. Im not talking about a scenario where the government do something so ludicrously evil and horrific that the a large portion of the nation develops a mob/riot mentality (which is what happened in Italy during world war 2) and strings your leaders up from a tree for sport. There are blatantly scenarios where you could EASILY defeat the government with a rebellion because the crime is so heinous its basically one sided in agreement. There are scenarios where they do something horrific but to a group no one gives a fuck about. There are scenarios where they do something most people dont give a shit about but you care about very dearly.

Remember when your government rounded up all the Japanese people? Well i don't personally but I studied it for my college history class. For all the "will of the people" and the guns and the element of surprise no one started shooting. No one did shit. Those people were rounded up by the government and no rebellion was started. Because the nation was at war. And distrust fractured the people. Such an event could occur again, and if it did starting a rebellion is more difficult because frankly less people would care if it didnt affect me and mine.

So lets sort this out:

What crimes would the government need to do to earn your ire and rebel?

Why are you not rebelling now?

If you DID attempt to incite rebellion RIGHT NOW, do you think you could succeed and dont say "It depends". I mean right now, this second you decide to organise and fight with as many people as would be willing to rebel to secede as a state or what have you. Do you think you could win. You know where you are this exact moment. You know who is in your area. You know what the government has done or is openly planning to do. Go.

BiscuitTrouser:
Wait wait wait. In ALL of my points im going under the assumption you are rebelling TODAY. At this exact moment you decide that you hate Obama or whatever enough to go start a revolution or secede. Many have already voiced such an opinion. The reasons you get to recruit people are the reasons that stand currently.

I doubt I could get enough people to do much except cause problems for the government.

Remember when your government rounded up all the Japanese people? Well i don't personally but I studied it for my college history class. For all the "will of the people" and the guns and the element of surprise no one started shooting. No one did shit. Those people were rounded up by the government and no rebellion was started. Because the nation was at war. And distrust fractured the people. Such an event could occur again, and if it did starting a rebellion is more difficult because frankly less people would care if it didnt affect me and mine.

First of all, the Japanese people were relatively disarmed. It depends on the area but some areas tried to disarm the minority populations and not just in the south.

Secondly, the majority did not care and the Japanese were a tiny minority. So, different situation.

What crimes would the government need to do to earn your ire and rebel?

MY ire or the ire of a sizable minority of the US?

My attempt would mostly depend on whether I think the country is salvageable.

Why are you not rebelling now?

Because there is still hope for a peaceful resolution.

If you DID attempt to incite rebellion RIGHT NOW, do you think you could succeed and dont say "It depends". I mean right now, this second you decide to organise and fight with as many people as would be willing to rebel to secede as a state or what have you. Do you think you could win. You know where you are this exact moment. You know who is in your area. You know what the government has done or is openly planning to do. Go.

It depends on one factor. Are we just seceding? If so then yes. There are several micro nations that came into existence simply by making a government and cutting ties with their home country. If my town just decided to secede the US government would likely react in the same fashion as those other countries. That is, the US government would not know what to do and just ignore what happened. However, there would be de facto independence.

If you are talking about a direct fight to take over the US government by whatever forces I could rally right now, then no.

BOOM headshot65:
In truth, I believe that IF (and thats a 100 mile high IF) anything happens in the US, it will be violent militias killing those who disagree with them for even the most insignficant slight. And the reason is because its already happened once in my state. *history snip*

That's very interesting, thanks! I had heard of the "Bleeding of Kansas" before, but hadn't really delved into it too much.

Of course, nowadays the military, hell, even just the militarized police probably would do the opposite of locking themselves away. Nowadays is not an equivalent situation in terms of numbers and similarity of equipment. And that's - yes, yes, anti-gun guy here - a good thing, considering the way people can run rampant like that.

EDIT to above: "Secondly, the majority did not care and the Japanese were a tiny minority. So, different situation."

Actually, one of the main points of the detractors of the "let's rebel"-folks in this thread was that the largest segments of the population will either want to stay out of it or side with the government and that even among those ideologically inclined like the "let's rebel"-folks, the majority would not actually want to go to war over this, that they would not support your timing, your goals, your methods or whatever else. How large a minority could the "let's rebel"-folks actually hope to muster?

Skeleon:

EDIT to above: "Secondly, the majority did not care and the Japanese were a tiny minority. So, different situation."

Actually, one of the main points of the detractors of the "let's rebel"-folks in this thread was that the largest segments of the population will either want to stay out of it or side with the government and that even among those ideologically inclined like the "let's rebel"-folks, the majority would not actually want to go to war over this, that they would not support your timing, your goals, your methods or whatever else. How large a minority could the "let's rebel"-folks actually hope to muster?

In the case of the US it is estimated about 1/3-1/4 of the population supported the rebellion. That is about 600,000-800,000 people. It is estimated that about 120,000 men served in the continental army out of a total population of 2.5 million and that does not even include all of the militia units, rangers, and people who supplied the army.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked