Homeschooling vs failing school systems

Pages PREV 1 2 3

@Lil devils x

...as public schools here are not even required to have certified teachers as well...

Weird.

You might consider it to be child abuse to send a student to a bad school where they are raped, beaten or killed as well.

Well, yeah. I keep forgetting you're usually talking about third world-like situations and places. Why is it that some people from the USA constantly tell me how awful their country is? How things are so dangerous and anarchic that people need guns for basic safety, that their schools are cesspools of crime and oppression and their streets are essentially warzones?

Skeleon:
@Lil devils x

...as public schools here are not even required to have certified teachers as well...

Weird.

You might consider it to be child abuse to send a student to a bad school where they are raped, beaten or killed as well.

Well, yeah. I keep forgetting you're usually talking about third world-like situations and places. Why is it that some people from the USA constantly tell me how awful their country is? How things are so dangerous and anarchic that people need guns for basic safety, that their schools are cesspools of crime and oppression and their streets are essentially warzones?

Because the U.S. constitutes 3.794 million square miles (9.827 km squared) and 313 million people.

In comparison, the ENTIRETY of Europe is 3.931 million sq miles (10.18 km squared) though a hefty 700 million people.

Some places in the U.S. are paradises. And not just the rich ones. The poor ones can be paradises as well, because the people give a shit about their towns/communities.

In almost every city in the world you have a 'bad part' of town. South east DC, north omaha, the entire city of detroit, parts of Baltimore.

And in some cases its much worse then others.

And schools, from my perspective, are tiny compressed versions of the communities they spring from. Kids bring their home with them, and if the home is broken or bad or gang filled or whatever, the kid is bringing that with them.

Now, I work in education. ALl I do all day long is educate kids. And to me, they're just kids. It doesn't matter if their from my county, or from way up north near baltimore, but there are differences in behavior depending on where they are from, less then what their race are.

As for homsechool, we actually host a homeschool day.

Most of them were OK, but some of them acted more disruptively and entitled then any regular school group I've ever had come through. The parents were worse, however. Their were exceptions, but many of the parents were incredibly entitled and I even had one complain to my face that we had allowed a school tour in from Baltimore while homeschool day was taking place.

Skeleon:
@Lil devils x

Weird.

Its all scared rhetoric.

Yes, schools have problems with gangs recruiting from them, and yes there are uncommon gang related shootings when some idiot runs his mouth about how he is untouchable after he joins a gang.

Yes schools are cesspits, but only because we don't know how to run them without being fearful or overly bureaucratic. We hire fearful people to teach our kids to be fearful. We have a school system that is AFRAID of kids, and they KNOW it.

That's why we get so many lawsuits against schools. Our schools are broken, and we can't fix it because American culture is full of entitled little shits who think the world owes them something, and full of over bearing parents who MUST have a "#1 kid" because they feel inadequate against other parents.

And that's a problem. We can't be happy and love our kids unless he is a little "genius." Our kids stopped being kids and became more like status symbols to brag about. Do you know what happens next?

Scams, fraud, and disappointment, particularly in new charter schools meant for "little geniuses," But that is a discussion for another time.

Yes, guns are used for protection, but its not an every day thing. Non gang related crime is sinking a like a fat guy tied to a boulder in the middle of an ocean.

And no, the streets are not dangerous. In fact its the SAFEST we have ever been since the 1950s. Its American FEAR that MAKES it seem that ay.

Outside the gang influence, America isn't that bad outside the culture of seeing kids as a status symbol. Get rid of gang violence and America would be in line with the rest of the world.

Skeleon:
@Lil devils x

Weird.

I think you hear this more from me in this area due to this:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/Drug-Cartels-Running-Command-and-Control-Operations-Out-of-North-Texas-207595631.html

The Dallas metroplex being used for a command Hub for cartels for the entire US also has an impact on what we deal with here in regards to immediate threats. Yes, it has infiltrated security firms, Police forces, schools, the Department of public safety and politics here and is a major issue that needs to be addressed in this area.

As for the schools here in general, the state keeps cutting funding by the billions, we have creationist fighting to have that taught in schools and taking over school districts, our public schools double as churches, we have Super intendents and Chief financial officers taking the money and running and have horrible corruption in all levels of government from cities to counties to state level of course the schools are going to suck because of this.

When you actually have school boards that ARE creationist, don't you think this is reflected in their hiring and what is being taught in the schools? Where does this leave the the rest of the people who don't share these views? It isn't like people haven't been trying to change these things, the truth is secular is in the minority here and they are simply out voted. This is what happens when you live somewhere under " majority rule".

Ultratwinkie:

Skeleon:
@Lil devils x

Weird.

Its all scared rhetoric.

Yes, schools have problems with gangs recruiting from them, and yes there are uncommon gang related shootings when some idiot runs his mouth about how he is untouchable after he joins a gang.

Yes schools are cesspits, but only because we don't know how to run them without being fearful or overly bureaucratic. We hire fearful people to teach our kids to be fearful. We have a school system that is AFRAID of kids, and they KNOW it.

That's why we get so many lawsuits against schools. Our schools are broken, and we can't fix it because American culture is full of entitled little shits who think the world owes them something, and full of over bearing parents who MUST have a "#1 kid" because they feel inadequate against other parents.

And that's a problem. We can't be happy and love our kids unless he is a little "genius." Our kids stopped being kids and became more like status symbols to brag about. Do you know what happens next?

Scams, fraud, and disappointment, particularly in new charter schools meant for "little geniuses," But that is a discussion for another time.

Yes, guns are used for protection, but its not an every day thing. Non gang related crime is sinking a like a fat guy tied to a boulder in the middle of an ocean.

And no, the streets are not dangerous. In fact its the SAFEST we have ever been since the 1950s. Its American FEAR that MAKES it seem that ay.

Outside the gang influence, America isn't that bad outside the culture of seeing kids as a status symbol. Get rid of gang violence and America would be in line with the rest of the world.

This being a major cartel Hub for the US does cause many more issues that do not exist in other areas. Saying " get rid of gang violence" is easier said than done. The truth is the gang violence IS cartel violence, the gangs are affiliated with the cartels so unless we directly address the cartel issue, we can't solve the gang violence we endure here as well.

I remember that during the 80's home schooling was largely viewed as being the provenance of conservative religious folks who didn't want their children to be taught 'secular' ideas i.e. the "Theory" of evolution. It wasn't that simple, of course, but there was enough truth to perpetuate the stereotype.

But things have changed enormously with the advent of the internet and the availability of free online classes such as are found at The Khan Academy.

I have an autistic nephew who's been held back to the 3rd grade for years who would do far better if his parents home schooled him (that's not an option for reasons I won't go into). I also believe that I would have done far better myself than attending the backwards redneck high school I ended up in. They didn't even have calculus on the curriculum when I was a freshman. [1]

*shudders*

Fun Fact: Way back when one of the biggest criticisms leveled at home schooled children's social skills was that they acted like young adults instead of 'normal' teens. A specifically mentioned example was the common tendency for home schooled children to shake hands when first meeting each other instead of grunting and nodding like 'normal' teens 'should' do. I kid you not.

Yep, that's an excuse for keeping kids in public schools--they develop too much maturity compared to 'normal' teenagers.

It wasn't true, though. As a rule home schooled kids generally didn't suffer any difficulty interacting with their peers. Less, in fact, than most kids. Or at least that's what I remember being reported in an old "60 Minutes" episode.

Like I said--back then home schooling was viewed as religiously motivated and people looking to criticize it tended to lock onto anything.

[1] Not that I mean I could have taken it as a freshman, btw.

Home-schooling is perfectly fine, assuming the parents have the considerable resources necessary to provide an education.

Parents know and care more about their child than any teacher ever could, so if they can fulfil the teaching role, it'll be a customized education targeted at the needs and personality of the individual child. Something even a good public school can never provide. So the potential gains are greater, though the risk is comparatively greater too.

It's definitely an option resourceful parents should consider, certainly if the public school system is lacking. Or aim to impose certain values, since it should never be left to the state to socialize the people into adopting certain ideologically coloured values.

Poor education is indeed the worst that can happen to a child. It determines the overall development of a child. I guess if the school education is bad enough, it is better to opt for homeschooling. The ambience of the school determines the entire character formation of a child, and if it does not come up to the quality, children are sure to be doomed at a young age. Private Elementary School that you opt to get your child enrolled to, should be of high standard and quality.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked