the rise of Neo fascism in europe

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ow9qa8whU

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/opinion/sunday/europes-new-fascists.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2013/05/04/hungarian-fascism-update-anti-semitic-rally-budapest/

http://www.vice.com/read/getting-punched-by-neo-nazis-in-hungary

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/greek-politicians-heil-hitler_n_3293240.html

Makes me wonder if the cycle of fascists getting into power in Europe scares anyone here. the golden party and Hungary's fascist parties are hard at work getting into the swing of things with Marches against Jewish and Roma communities.

I also see most of this in eastern Europe so it makes me wonder if such things might happen in western Europe. Also makes me wonder if no one notices how they are merely repeating the past..

It makes me sad that these people are getting popular.. whats your thoughts on the rise of Neo fascism in Europe?

I don't like our nationalist movements. Being said, they aren't in majority. And I still prefer them to what America has, if nothing else at least they tend to have 'reasonable' economical policies. You just have to make sure they don't get a say on immigration.

As for Europe repeating whats happened before being ironic... I find it far more Ironic to see the Israeli Fundamentalists trying their hardest mimicing/act as if they support the actions of Nazi's against minorities within their borders/just outside their borders. Youknow, not because they did it themselves in the past, but because they were the very victims of such treatment. And they make up a larger percentage of their country than most any nationalist movement in Europe.

Well, at least we don't have to be so embarrassed by UKIP any more. UKIP may be batty, but you'd be hard-pressed to call them fascists.

Da Orky Man:
Well, at least we don't have to be so embarrassed by UKIP any more. UKIP may be batty, but you'd be hard-pressed to call them fascists.

I dont understand why are they batty? Also I wouldnt regard most of these rising groups facsists more nationalists.

YoungMan:

Da Orky Man:

I dont understand why are they batty? Also I wouldnt regard most of these rising groups facsists more nationalists.

You are quite right as regarding them as more nationalist than fascist. People, myself included, tend to blur the lines a bit.

As for UKIP, they support the UK withdrawing from the European Declaration on Human Rights, which as an official party policy, I would describe as batty. They also want to introduce a flat rate income tax, where no matter what you earn, the same percentage you pay. That is not a good system, as many on these forums could explain.

I wouldn't really see them as 'neo-fascists', more like 'neo-same-right-wing-morons-who-blame-everything-on-the-immigrants-whenever-the-economy-crashes'. And guess what? This will keep happening. It's an essential part of Populism, and it works. Easy solutions for complex problems.

This neo fascistic rise was to be expected. In times of crisis people are looking for people to blame and easy fixes. The populist movements offer that. And Fascism is extremely populistic. Let's be honest, what's not to like to the idea all your problems can be blamed on the political elite and them dirty immigrants? And that the fix for that is to be ruled by politicians more in touch with the people and who are so in love with their country they'll do everything for it. Because that's how you can summarize these parties in a nutshell. It's very easy for people to fall for that type of populism. It puts the voter in a victim status and presents the fascists as being there to protect the country, victims, punish the culprit and as being closer to the people.

My lord does the Vice have a single news presenter that doesn't sound obnoxious as all hell?.

I'm keeping my eye on Sweden at the moment, be interesting to see how this all develops

Realitycrash:
I wouldn't really see them as 'neo-fascists', more like 'neo-same-right-wing-morons-who-blame-everything-on-the-immigrants-whenever-the-economy-crashes'. And guess what? This will keep happening. It's an essential part of Populism, and it works. Easy solutions for complex problems.

Yea, because no leftist would ever consider resorting that those kinds of underhanded tactis.

"Rich people hurr dur!"

"Just sack the rich and tax them to shit and everything will become better hurr dur!"

"The wealthy are to blame for your problems somehow, just vote for us and we will solve your problems for you hurr dur!"

Nope, no populism in the left at all.

generals3:
This neo fascistic rise was to be expected. In times of crisis people are looking for people to blame and easy fixes. The populist movements offer that. And Fascism is extremely populistic. Let's be honest, what's not to like to the idea all your problems can be blamed on the political elite and them dirty immigrants? And that the fix for that is to be ruled by politicians more in touch with the people and who are so in love with their country they'll do everything for it. Because that's how you can summarize these parties in a nutshell. It's very easy for people to fall for that type of populism. It puts the voter in a victim status and presents the fascists as being there to protect the country, victims, punish the culprit and as being closer to the people.

Yep. IIRC, before they finally took over, the times when the Nazi party was getting the most votes in Germany was the same times when the communists were. When things were going well, people moved to the middle, when they went badly they went to the extremes again.

Hardcore_gamer:

"The wealthy are to blame for your problems somehow, just vote for us and we will solve your problems for you hurr dur!"

Well I don't see how the poor caused this global economic crisis.

Nikolaz72:
I don't like our nationalist movements. Being said, they aren't in majority. And I still prefer them to what America has, if nothing else at least they tend to have 'reasonable' economical policies. You just have to make sure they don't get a say on immigration.

As for Europe repeating whats happened before being ironic... I find it far more Ironic to see the Israeli Fundamentalists trying their hardest mimicing/act as if they support the actions of Nazi's against minorities within their borders/just outside their borders. Youknow, not because they did it themselves in the past, but because they were the very victims of such treatment. And they make up a larger percentage of their country than most any nationalist movement in Europe.

Do you mind explaining yourself, Nik, before this turns sour? That statement of yours offended me quite a lot.

El Danny:

Well I don't see how the poor caused this global economic crisis.

They should have worked harder, the layabouts!

As for the supposedly rising nationalistic sentiment (which I'd argue was always there, just in other guises) isn't that in some ways reactionary to increased immigration and Islamisation in Europe? Being in the middle of a recession doesn't help either.

Hardcore_gamer:

Realitycrash:

Yea, because no leftist would ever consider resorting that those kinds of underhanded tactis.

"Rich people hurr dur!"

"Just sack the rich and tax them to shit and everything will become better hurr dur!"

Nope, no populism in the left at all.

Did I say it was impossible for the Left to engage in Populism? Either you create the worst strawmen ever, or you are just rude.

"Those kind of tactics aren't used by the Right alone, though" would suffice.

Da Orky Man:

As for UKIP, they support the UK withdrawing from the European Declaration on Human Rights, which as an official party policy, I would describe as batty. They also want to introduce a flat rate income tax, where no matter what you earn, the same percentage you pay. That is not a good system, as many on these forums could explain.

Wait hold on; those are intrinsically and absolutely bad things? In what language?

Rather than canning the extremes of political ideologies; take your time to analyses them and make clear judgments of who is more worthy of your distaste; you may find yourself in a position where you have to choose one or the other to lead you in the future (hopefully not, but history tends to be cyclic rather than linear). E.g the English Defence league is far better behaved and arguably more morally upright than the (ironically named) Unite Against Fascism. Secondly do not be so quick to assume the worst of their supporters. Despite what you may think the general public is not stupid, reasons for support may vary; some may do it out of protest, some out of distaste of the traditional choices and some are simply see a dire problem requiring a dire solution. In case you haven't noticed

The rise of extreme left and extreme right is typically a sign that a society is critically ill; either due to mismanagement or external forces (or both). Recent events in the Nordic nations for example point out the obvious issues of social integration (look up the rape statistics)of recent migrants; many of whom are draining the welfare system dry. Similarly the rise of the right in Greece has grown out of the perceived unfair treatment of Greece from the Eurozone and their neglect to support the Hellenic people in their continuing political issues with Turkey as well as those 'job stealing foreigners'. Many of these problems were acknowledged and discussed at length in better times; but people tend to get more motivated and mobile when they have to start worrying if they can pay all their bills and still have enough to eat by the end of the month.

Fraser Greenfield:
E.g the English Defence league is far better behaved and arguably more morally upright than the (ironically named) Unite Against Fascism.

Really?

That is quite a surprise to most people who actually live in the country where the two operate. But then I guess you could more easily come to a different conclusion from 10,000 miles away.

Describing these political movements as fascist can only be viewed as a severe distortion of the term's definition, while these groups may lie to the right of center, one must be dubious as to whether totalitarian intent exists, or even anti democratic aspirations for that matter, they're often, simply, vilified nativist-nationalist parties. That said; I certainly don't find this concerning, social degression is probably an appropriate course of action when Europe's current conundrums are brought to consideration.

Agema:

Fraser Greenfield:
E.g the English Defence league is far better behaved and arguably more morally upright than the (ironically named) Unite Against Fascism.

Really?

That is quite a surprise to most people who actually live in the country where the two operate. But then I guess you could more easily come to a different conclusion from 10,000 miles away.

Compared to the UAF; that's an easy statement to make; I never stated that it was by a large margin.

Nikolaz72:

Really. When was the last time any right way nutjob in America shot up children in Norway. Our crazy nutjobs tend to come from the left political side right now.

Gergar12:
[quote="Nikolaz72" post="528.408707.17080071"]Snip

I said I prefer our Nationalist groups with reasonable economic doctrines to the American-Conservative groups with insane economic doctrines.

What you said had 'nothing' to do with that. What-so-ever.

The man you're talking about was thrown out of the Nazi's political group for being too extreme. And he himself claims that his goals were Religious.

As such I see him more as Extremely Rightwing and Extremely Religious more than anything else. But again, that has 'zero' to do with the topic. And I don't like giving him more attention than that. So this is as far as I'll discuss him.

Nikolaz72:

Gergar12:
[quote="Nikolaz72" post="528.408707.17080071"]Snip

I said I prefer our Nationalist groups with reasonable economic doctrines to the American-Conservative groups with insane economic doctrines.

What you said had 'nothing' to do with that. What-so-ever.

The man you're talking about was thrown out of the Nazi's political group for being too extreme. And he himself claims that his goals were Religious.

As such I see him more as Extremely Rightwing and Extremely Religious more than anything else. But again, that has 'zero' to do with the topic. And I don't like giving him more attention than that. So this is as far as I'll discuss him.

Having read his manifesto; I'd tend to disagree. His motivations are purely political (aimed at the 'overly liberal left' and 'neo-marxists'); though Brevik believed that the use of faith should be encouraged in order to bind society together. I assume in the same manner as Norsefire uses the Anglican church in V for Vendetta.

Fraser Greenfield:

Wait hold on; those are intrinsically and absolutely bad things? In what language?

Murder isn't an "intrinsically and absolutely" bad thing either. Every value judgement, ever, is subjective. Calling out, "that's not objective so you can't say it!" is one of the laziest methods of shutting down debate.

Fraser Greenfield:

The groups are both moronic, and they both spoil for a fight at every opportunity, but how d'you figure that the EDL are the better of the two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XkYzHvEH8w

http://www.ibtimes.com/english-defence-league-edl-riots-violence-escalates-after-woolwich-beheading-photo-1275895

And, for extra fun;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1jDcAHkc8

Silvanus:

Fraser Greenfield:

Murder isn't an "intrinsically and absolutely" bad thing either. Every value judgement, ever, is subjective. Calling out, "that's not objective so you can't say it!" is one of the laziest methods of shutting down debate.

Fraser Greenfield:

The groups are both moronic, and they both spoil for a fight at every opportunity, but how d'you figure that the EDL are the better of the two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XkYzHvEH8w

http://www.ibtimes.com/english-defence-league-edl-riots-violence-escalates-after-woolwich-beheading-photo-1275895

And, for extra fun;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1jDcAHkc8

Indeed both groups are pretty bad; I assume this because such groups have no 'fixed members' and rely on gathering support from passionate locals, whose characters can vary wildly. However EDL has had a few moments that have inspired my respect for them (a small amount to be sure; but a non-existent quality) namely their semi-frequent non-violent marches that happen with surprising regulatory; its rare for such events to get much air time specifically because of this. In addition during the 2011 English riots EDL mobilized to protect local business and help with the clean up of the aftermath. I heard of no similar events with UAF.

Do you have any stats to back your claims up? The EDL is notoriously violent. Every march they organise has a heavy police presence accompanying it because they nearly always involve violent attacks on people that look 'Muslim'. It is presently being investigated by FOUR police units due to its associations with hooliganism, terrorism and extreme violence. In addition, a recent poll demonstrated that EDL members or sympathisers are significantly more likely to engage in violence than others. The UAF on the other hand, is a moderate anti-Fascist group that is supported by large numbers of MPs, including David Cameron, who some of you may know as a Right-winger. You cannot say that the UAF is more or equally violent as the EDL. Everyone living in this country knows that, what with the majority of the EDL's membership being composed of hooligans from football 'firms'.

Poll:
http://www.chathamhouse.org/media/news/view/189783

Here's a list of EDL demonstrations/rallies. Notice how a large chunk of them involve violence?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDL_demonstrations

Murderiser:

Here's a list of EDL demonstrations/rallies. Notice how a large chunk of them involve violence?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDL_demonstrations

And notice how many involve clashes with counter-protestors. The ones in the wrong here are those who try to silence them by counter protesting and sparking violence. Organizations like the EDL have opinions that anger a lot of people and those people than feel compelled they can't let them speak freely and decide to spark tensions by showing up, acting provocatively or even just go clash. That's hardly the EDL's fault.

So you're saying that it was a complete accident that the EDL broke a police line (the march was banned and they turned up anyway), assaulted police officers and engaged in a fair amount of vandalism?

As it has been pointed out; violence from the EDL is typically sparked by counter protesters; namely the UAF.
A good example is in January 2010 in Stoke-on-Trent; EDL members broke police lines; but only to retaliate to violence initiated by the UAF. The following report and the following arrests by the police acknoledge that the UAF was at falt: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259409/Police-attack-right-wing-group-anti-fascists-clash-violent-street-protests.html#ixzz0vBI4bOnI

Also on the london riots:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8692872/London-riots-far-right-political-party-protect-Eltham-residents.html

I give up. Neither of you seems to have any idea about who the EDL are. You appear to have mistaken them with the Tea Party movement in the US, which they are not. And please don't quote the Daily Mail. They are a notoriously right-wing paper here in the UK. For the last time: the EDL is largely composed of hooligans and others addicted to violence. To claim otherwise is to be absurdly blinkered.

Fraser Greenfield:
The following report and the following arrests by the police acknoledge that the UAF was at falt: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259409/Police-attack-right-wing-group-anti-fascists-clash-violent-street-protests.html#ixzz0vBI4bOnI

As Murderiser said. The Mail deliberately misquotes and even entirely fabricates "news" pieces. The safest position on something politically charged like this is generally to assume it's lying, unless you have corroborating articles from respectable sources.

Murderiser:
I give up. Neither of you seems to have any idea about who the EDL are. You appear to have mistaken them with the Tea Party movement in the US, which they are not. And please don't quote the Daily Mail. They are a notoriously right-wing paper here in the UK. For the last time: the EDL is largely composed of hooligans and others addicted to violence. To claim otherwise is to be absurdly blinkered.

First of all, what's wrong with saying they may not be largely composed of hooligans and people who are addicted to violence? There is no doubt they have their fair share of assholes and violent delinquents, but they are also constantly being provoked whenever they want to voice their opinions. The UAF's tactics to constantly organize counter-protests whenever the EDL wants to say something is all but productive and can only lead to tensions rising. Both the EDL and UAF obviously has many idiots in their ranks and when idiots meet in a protest idiotic stuff happen, i just feel it's unfair to paint a picture in which the EDL is presented as "The" villain. Obviously the UAF is probably just as bad or worse and their crap makes the EDL look worse than it is.

generals3:

Murderiser:

First of all, what's wrong with saying they may not be largely composed of hooligans and people who are addicted to violence? There is no doubt they have their fair share of assholes and violent delinquents, but they are also constantly being provoked whenever they want to voice their opinions. The UAF's tactics to constantly organize counter-protests whenever the EDL wants to say something is all but productive and can only lead to tensions rising. Both the EDL and UAF obviously has many idiots in their ranks and when idiots meet in a protest idiotic stuff happen, i just feel it's unfair to paint a picture in which the EDL is presented as "The" villain. Obviously the UAF is probably just as bad or worse and their crap makes the EDL look worse than it is.

Correct; I'm assuming Murderiser has confused the common 'pub-hall' styled politcal movements popular in Europe and Anglophone nations (with the exception of the USA) were political groups would centre much of their movements around areas commonly visited by the working class participates; namely pubs, football clubs and the like. Compared to the Tea Party; EDL rallies are generally made up of working class people of all ages and it centred the preservation of the "English lifestyle"; an idiom of working class pride common in England. In comparison the Tea Party has been made up of the wealthy middle class demanding tax breaks and gun rights. Do not think for a second believe i could get the two confused.

Lastly I will admit I have a personal grudge against the UAF; not for their violence. For their hypocrisy. Removing wreaths from memorials, blocking public rallies, drowning out public speeches. Such things are attempts to hinder free speech and prevent discussion and debate required to a free society. In doing such things they are in fact behaving in the same manner as actual fascists . Not only that but the rise of the far right in the western world is a phenomenon that needs to be discussed and observed, not beaten into a pulp by the angst of a thousand protesters. Why? Because the rising popularity of such people in society is a sign that something is going very wrong (i.e a government that has failed to address religious extremism, and elderly population feeling out of touch with today's youth, overrepresented ethnic groups in crime statistics, the list goes on.). Such things are very real problems that the so many just willfully ignore rather than try to solve them. To put it in laymans terms; people are more than happy to insult and put down groups like EDL, The Occupy movement, Party for Freedom but all to often fail to answer the very real concerns be they political, economical or cultural of the common people. Yes I will happily point out that many right wing solutions are far too direct/unethical/brutal but if those in power continue to ignore these issues they will only get bigger; and you'll find those in the political (moderates) middle picking sides you might not expect as the ignored issues becomes more pressing as the years go by. That is exactly what happened in both Germany (1933), Iran (1979) and Russia (1918 and 1991)

There are only 2 reasons Golden Dawn is getting votes in Greece.

#1 Because it says it will put to jail all those politicians who stole taxpayer's money and transferred it to their private bank accounts. (Lots of corruption scandals in Greece the last years)
#2 They said that they will let the illegal immigrants get out of Greece.

Now I know what you are thinking. If Golden Dawn is a nazi party,does that means that Greeks are becoming nazis and start believing in stupid racist theories ?
NO.Of course not. Greeks have been used as slaves by the Ottoman Empire,and when Greeks started getting in to the USA in early 1900s and 1910s,the Americans with English descendance treated Greeks as they treated African-Americans,Jews,and Hispanics. In our psyche we know that racism isn't a good thing. We've been targeted with such hate in the past,and we know how it feels like,so we wouldn't want this to happen to other people,because you know,we are not evil.

The deal with the Illegal Immigrants on Greece is a more complex matter. You see the EU has made up the Doublin II treaty,which says that if a person from a non-EU country steps his foot on an EU country,he first has to gain full citizenship / nationality of the country he first stepped his foot on. And that's something that takes about 10 years to happen in Greece because of bureaucracy. So once an immigrant from Africa or Asia steps foot on Greece,he is not allowed to leave!!! He gets trapped here!! Immigrants wants to leave Greece,but police doesn't let them. Because leaving them would violate the Doublin II treaty that the EU forces us to follow.
The thing is that Greece is in a very bad financial situation,and it doesn't have enough jobs. Neither for Greeks or foreigners. That means that there are THOUSANDS of people that are coming from Africa or Asia wanting to go to a wealthy EU coutntry like Germany,or UK,but they pass by our country to go there,and when they step on our country,we are forced to not let them leave before they have stayed for 10 years or so. But how are they going to live for 10 years in a country that doesn't have jobs ? If they can't find a legal job to earn their living,how are they going to earn their bread ?
The only option left is illegal actions,crime. But crime is bad. Neither the immigrants want that,neither Greeks.
It is all forced to us by the EU and its stupid legislations.

And now that you know what's going on with the immigration problem in Greece,I'll tell you about what the parties do.
Golden Dawn is the only party that recognizes that this is happening,and what is saying is to deny the Doublin II treaty, so all those migrants who want to leave Greece,to be able to do it. Centrist parties doesn't even talk about the problem,they pretend it doesn't exist,and Left parties thinks that Greece is the land of opportunity,and say they want all these immigrants to not live Greece,and be allowed to enjoy the wealthy Greek life. That's utopian. Greece isn't a land of opportunity. Greece is the land of NO OPPORTUNITY,where people with university degrees who speak 5-6 languages doesn't even get a part time job anywhere.

Now I'm not a supporter of Golden Dawn.Because I think they are too extreme. I prefer more moderate parties myself. And I hate racism. The thing is most people who vote Golden Dawn,doesn't know what Golden Dawn is all about.
Whenever you see GoldenDawners in TV,they only speak what they want,they only bash the "thief" politicians who steal taxpayer's money,and keep repeating the stuff about the immigrants. They are not exposed enough. Their other ideas are not shown to the public. A lot of Greek people vote,but they don't know what they vote for. Golden Dawn support eugenics. They want to barren people who have mental diseases or handicaps,to "improve the nation". But this was never told on TV.
One had to buy one of their books and read that on their manifesto. But how many people are going to buy a book of a party and read it ? Most people only make up their mind based on what they see on TV.
So some aspects of Golden Dawn and its manifesto are hidden from mainstream media. The majority of Golden Dawn voters don't know s**t about what Golden Dawn really believes.

Stavros Dimou:
We've been targeted with such hate in the past,and we know how it feels like,so we wouldn't want this to happen to other people,because you know,we are not evil.

Implying that the Germans who weren't executed for opposing the Nazi's were evil, and that there is some significant difference amoung the human make up of all Greeks who are not proponents of the Neo-Nazi's.
Don't take offence as I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that, but the words typed do.

Honestly, push any people far enough back against a wall and unless people are sufficiently educated, reasoned and, most importantly willing to commit suicide to prevent desperate fanatics gaining power, evil can prevail. I don't believe that there is any country on earth with 30% of the population who fit that catagory.

Any country pushed far enough, and unsupported to repel such a threat may still turn in fear while under a near fatal level of duress.

Nikolaz72:

..the OP starts a thread about there observation on European politics and the rise of nationalism in Europe's politics and the growth of antisemitism in the area, to which you respond by telling Zef Otter how much better European nationalism is than American Nationalism(even though American doesn't have anything to do with the post) and berating Israel and calling them Nazis(again, like America, you're bringing up a country that wasn't the focus of the first post) as a counter to the accusations that there is a rise of antisemitism.

Wow, please tell me this wasn't a serous post and you just typed your post as some sort of ironic humor.

All nationalist movements are usually fairly extremist in their views. I just don't see how the parliaments of these nations can allow these organizations into politics and positions of power.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked