Lionsgate Respond to Ender's Game Boycott

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/07/12/lionsgate-responds-to-enders-game-boycott-threats/

Lionsgate did pretty ok with their response and they're 100% right. And let's not forget all the people who worked hard on this. Card isn't as negatively affected as they are.

What about you? Has it changed your opinion at all?

I've boycotted for less principled reasons than this[1]. On the other hand, I don't always go around investigating what political causes people invest their money in before I buy their products. As disgusting as I find Card's personal views on this, the reality is that my side is winning (slowly). And there isn't much he can do about it. I'll probably see the movie in theatres if it gets good reviews from critics I generally agree with, otherwise I'll wait till it comes out on netflix.

I am happy Lionsgate spoke out on this though. I wonder if Card is getting a % of the movies profits, or if he was just paid a lump sum for the rights. That'll probably influence my descision.

[1] Boycotted Square Enix for 7 years after the changes to Beast Master in FFXI in 2005. Yea, I can carry a grudge.

Not really. Most of the people who worked hard on the movie are done with it. They got paid already, they're not getting anything else whether the movie sells no tickets at all or sells twelve to every single person on the planet. Most of the cast and crew are paid for their work and then go on to something else. A few major stars, directors, producers, et cetera, those sorts of people will get residuals from good sales. That Card is on that list is almost a certainty. No, the book/movie itself has nothing to do with Card's personal views. That doesn't change the fact that a portion of each ticket goes to someone who has accused me of molesting children and advocated overthrowing the government over giving me basic human rights. He can't just say "Show a little tolerance for my beliefs" now and expect that to make everything okay.

Aris Khandr:
Not really. Most of the people who worked hard on the movie are done with it. They got paid already, they're not getting anything else whether the movie sells no tickets at all or sells twelve to every single person on the planet. Most of the cast and crew are paid for their work and then go on to something else. A few major stars, directors, producers, et cetera, those sorts of people will get residuals from good sales. That Card is on that list is almost a certainty. No, the book/movie itself has nothing to do with Card's personal views. That doesn't change the fact that a portion of each ticket goes to someone who has accused me of molesting children and advocated overthrowing the government over giving me basic human rights. He can't just say "Show a little tolerance for my beliefs" now and expect that to make everything okay.

Thing is, we're not just talking about actors, producers, directors, etc. Lighting techs, sound techs, costume department, etc are basically seeing a chunk of their life shit on. I don't know about you but I'd feel pretty bad about that...

ninjaRiv:

Aris Khandr:

Thing is, we're not just talking about actors, producers, directors, etc. Lighting techs, sound techs, costume department, etc are basically seeing a chunk of their life shit on. I don't know about you but I'd feel pretty bad about that...

Their lifesblood is on his hands, not ours.

Hopefully enough intolerant sci-fi lovers will see the movie to let them live to see another, more successful one created.

I have never had anything against Card or Ender's Game. I disagree with views, but it does not make me wish ill will upon the man or this project. I honestly loved Ender's Game, and can't wait to see the move and no boycott is going to change my mind.

Nikolaz72:

ninjaRiv:

Aris Khandr:

Hopefully enough intolerant sci-fi lovers will see the movie to let them live to see another, more successful one created.

See, this is the thing; boycotting this film seems like an eye for an eye thing. Kill one of ours, we'll kill one of yours. Isn't it just stopping to his level? He's a dick so let's act like a dick to him, even if it makes innocent people feel shitty. I don't know, that's just my view on it.

ninjaRiv:
See, this is the thing; boycotting this film seems like an eye for an eye thing. Kill one of ours, we'll kill one of yours. Isn't it just stopping to his level? He's a dick so let's act like a dick to him, even if it makes innocent people feel shitty. I don't know, that's just my view on it.

Er, he wants to overthrow the government because it's to pro=gay, and IIRC, to lock gay people up in camps.

People boycotting him don't want him to get their money.

Those two things aren't quite the same.

No, they're just being ignored. The same way that most people ignore them anyway. I've read the book, the costumes aren't exactly going to wow anyone. Seriously, who notices the lighting or sound unless they do an abysmal job of it? Outside of possibly picking up an Oscar (which will be accepted by the director or somebody similar anyway), those people don't get a lot of recognition. It should be similarly pointed out that awards go to success, no matter how well or poorly the movie sold.

If the lead actor went out tomorrow and murdered a dozen people, that would certainly effect ticket sales. Yet I'm pretty sure none of those people would feel that the poor sales was indicative of their work. Similarly, if the movie flops because Card is a jackass, they'll all be quite aware that the movie flopped because of him. I very much doubt that anyone is going to make the logical leap from "Card is a jackass" to "Card is a jackass, so the costumes sucked." Will they be disappointed? Probably a bit. Will they see it as "a chunk of their life shit on"? I seriously doubt it. That'll probably be slightly more concerned with the work they're doing on their next movie, which is hopefully not headed by a bigoted twit.

thaluikhain:

ninjaRiv:

Er, he wants to overthrow the government because it's to pro=gay, and IIRC, to lock gay people up in camps.

People boycotting him don't want him to get their money.

Those two things aren't quite the same.

They're the same enough, imo.

Also, that was BS. He said he'd be all about overthrowing the government but now he's just saying things like "please don't hurt the film!" and sitting around relatively quietly, as far as I know. He's all mouth.

ninjaRiv:
Also, that was BS. He said he'd be all about overthrowing the government but now he's just saying things like "please don't hurt the film!" and sitting around relatively quietly, as far as I know. He's all mouth.

Which is rather the point. He's spineless. He was perfectly content to call me a child molester and claim I don't deserve basic human rights, but suddenly I'M the intolerant one when I don't want to see a movie he is associated with. Just because you lose the war doesn't mean you get a pass for all the things you did during it. He's got a long way to go to make it up to us, and begging for tolerance while showing us none is not a good first step.

Aris Khandr:

ninjaRiv:

Which is rather the point. He's spineless. He was perfectly content to call me a child molester and claim I don't deserve basic human rights, but suddenly I'M the intolerant one when I don't want to see a movie he is associated with. Just because you lose the war doesn't mean you get a pass for all the things you did during it. He's got a long way to go to make it up to us, and begging for tolerance while showing us none is not a good first step.

As far as I'm aware, he didn't succeed with anything except being stupid and yeah, he's spineless. But I don't see why that should affect the people involved in making the movie,is y point. Also, the Ender serious is really great and has literally nothing to do with his political views.

Aris Khandr:
No, they're just being ignored. The same way that most people ignore them anyway. I've read the book, the costumes aren't exactly going to wow anyone. Seriously, who notices the lighting or sound unless they do an abysmal job of it? Outside of possibly picking up an Oscar (which will be accepted by the director or somebody similar anyway), those people don't get a lot of recognition. It should be similarly pointed out that awards go to success, no matter how well or poorly the movie sold.

If the lead actor went out tomorrow and murdered a dozen people, that would certainly effect ticket sales. Yet I'm pretty sure none of those people would feel that the poor sales was indicative of their work. Similarly, if the movie flops because Card is a jackass, they'll all be quite aware that the movie flopped because of him. I very much doubt that anyone is going to make the logical leap from "Card is a jackass" to "Card is a jackass, so the costumes sucked." Will they be disappointed? Probably a bit. Will they see it as "a chunk of their life shit on"? I seriously doubt it. That'll probably be slightly more concerned with the work they're doing on their next movie, which is hopefully not headed by a bigoted twit.

I'd notice, really. And my point is that they'd just... Feel bad. They did work hard on it and I know I'd feel bad about it, even if no hate was meant towards me.

Nikolaz72:

ninjaRiv:

Aris Khandr:

Wtf. If you go see Ender's Game you are intolerant?!? Had a friend that really wanted to see Ender's Game Game and I was on the fence about it. I will definitely see it now.

Choose your battles more wisely. Trying to shame people to not see a movie that has nothing with homosexuality pro or con is not going to work.

ninjaRiv:
Also, the Ender serious is really great and has literally nothing to do with his political views.

It doesn't matter if the movie has anything to do with his political views. A certain percentage of the movie's income goes to him, money that is then turned into lobbying for those views. If a certain percentage of the movie's income went to a saw mill that, rather than spitting out lumber, was instead used to saw kittens in half, would it matter that the movie itself wasn't about sawing kittens? No, it wouldn't. While none of us may be dying because of Card's bullshit philosophy, that doesn't make it acceptable. I don't need to give money to someone who believes I belong in an internment camp or jail cell for committing the intolerable sin of loving my girlfriend.

Aris Khandr:

ninjaRiv:
Also, the Ender serious is really great and has literally nothing to do with his political views.

It doesn't matter if the movie has anything to do with his political views. A certain percentage of the movie's income goes to him, money that is then turned into lobbying for those views. If a certain percentage of the movie's income went to a saw mill that, rather than spitting out lumber, was instead used to saw kittens in half, would it matter that the movie itself wasn't about sawing kittens? No, it wouldn't. While none of us may be dying because of Card's bullshit philosophy, that doesn't make it acceptable. I don't need to give money to someone who believes I belong in an internment camp or jail cell for committing the intolerable sin of loving my girlfriend.

When Hunter S. Thompson was alive, buying his books meant funding the guy's drug habit. And he was an utter prick who DID cause physical harm to people. Would his work was great and his political views were pretty cool. Didn't see a lot of boycotting there. A lot of our purchases on movie tickets, DVDs, albums, concert tickets, etc go towards funding drug habits and a lot of BS.

But if you were to present me with Card beating a person for being gay, I'd boycott it. So far he's done nothing except write articles, talk big and boycott things...

And, you know, form a lobbyist group to deny us human rights. But, hey, it's not like he actually hurt anyone, right? Just hurt our feelings? Which is... the exact same stance you're using to argue that we shouldn't boycott his movie, because it might hurt someone's feelings for reasons entirely out of their control? Only no one is saying that they should go to jail for making the movie.

Aris Khandr:
And, you know, form a lobbyist group to deny us human rights. But, hey, it's not like he actually hurt anyone, right? Just hurt our feelings? Which is... the exact same stance you're using to argue that we shouldn't boycott his movie, because it might hurt someone's feelings for reasons entirely out of their control? Only no one is saying that they should go to jail for making the movie.

Actually, I was saying let's not stoop to his level.

Aris Khandr:

ninjaRiv:

Can you actually prove he's getting a % cut? I looked around a bit and couldn't actually FIND anything that said he was, just that he's getting a single producing credit.

ninjaRiv:

Aris Khandr:

I would love to stoop to his level and criminalize his existence and lock him away from society forever.

Unfortunately, we can't really do that so we boycott his film to deprive him of any money that might go to him and make it known that people will refuse to purchase your product if you associate yourself with bigots. The only downside is that you might be depriving yourself of a good movie (though you could always just rent or borrow it later) and you might hurt the people who worked on the movie's feelings.

If you put those two things on the same level, you must have a really broad view to the whole "levels" thing.

ninjaRiv:

Aris Khandr:

Refusing to see his movie is hardly stooping to his level. Making a simple choice to not provide him (and thus his cause) with a portion of my income is not stooping to his level. Telling other people why I am not going to go see the film is not stooping to his level.

Forming a political group that works to ban the film and penalizes those theaters that show it WOULD be stooping to his level. Which, strangely enough, is NOT what people are doing.

LifeCharacter:

ninjaRiv:

Aris Khandr:

I would love to stoop to his level and criminalize his existence and lock him away from society forever.

Unfortunately, we can't really do that so we boycott his film to deprive him of any money that might go to him and make it known that people will refuse to purchase your product if you associate yourself with bigots. The only downside is that you might be depriving yourself of a good movie (though you could always just rent or borrow it later) and you might hurt the people who worked on the movie's feelings.

If you put those two things on the same level, you must have a really broad view to the whole "levels" thing.

As I mentioned before, so much of the entertainment we buy goes to feed people's drug habits and DUIs and such. I'll be honest, boycotting a film because of these doesn't seem needed to me. It's stooping to his level just to be petty, imo.

Well, if it's as half as successful as the Chic-fil-A boycott I expect lines around the building.

Personally I don't think either side in this pissing contest has any room to preach to the other, or anyone else for that matter, about tolerance. Judging by their actions they know as much about tolerance as my rat does about performing brain surgery.

davidmc1158:

ninjaRiv:

Aris Khandr:

Refusing to see his movie is hardly stooping to his level. Making a simple choice to not provide him (and thus his cause) with a portion of my income is not stooping to his level. Telling other people why I am not going to go see the film is not stooping to his level.

Forming a political group that works to ban the film and penalizes those theaters that show it WOULD be stooping to his level. Which, strangely enough, is NOT what people are doing.

Fair point but I still think it's a little pointless. Bear in mind I'm not telling people NOT to boycott it, I just don't think it's needed.

The success of this movie will be the primary factor in deciding whether or not films are made of the subsequent books - or at least, it will have a huge impact on the budget of those films. The success of this movie does heavily impact on the future of everyone working on it - namely, it provides them with steady, reliable work, which isn't something that's guaranteed for many people in the film industry.

Bentusi16:

Can you actually prove he's getting a % cut? I looked around a bit and couldn't actually FIND anything that said he was, just that he's getting a single producing credit.

He won't be getting any kind of 'cut'. He'll have been paid for the rights to use his work, and he might have received an additional sum based upon whatever he contributed to the making of the film. Everything else, every other studio and production team involved, were also paid by contract, for the work provided. They won't be receiving a cut either, so at least this boycott won't immediately hurt innocent people's livelihoods. For now.

The only exception I can think of is DVD sales - I believe some staff and crew can be entitled to a percentage of the DVD sales. Card has already made his money from this film, however - he almost certainly won't be getting a cut from DVD/BR sales.

This is an entirely moot point, however - Card is already a wealthy man. This is a drop in the ocean to him. Boycotting this film will not hurt Card's bank account in any way. It won't detract from a cut he isn't getting, and even if it did, that wouldn't affect him. Intentionally attempting to sabotage the film's success, however, will have already made sequels less likely simply from a controversy angle, and that is taking away future job opportunities and wages from those who actually need it, who had nothing to do with this.

People are desperate to hurt Card because he's an intolerant prick, but that's blinded them to the fact that this is only going to cause collateral damage. Card doesn't give a shit if the movie is bad - people will just be leaving the theatre saying "Well, the book was way better". Nor does he give a shit if the movie doesn't sell - he's already got plenty of money.

He'll think "Well, that's a shame" and then get on with his life.

EDIT; I'd also like to remind everyone that Card's 'ideals' completely violate basic human rights, and go against the majority opinion in most if not all western countries.

In short, he's never going to affect anything, he's never going to get real political power, and the only justification you have for this is personal offense.

That's fine - he's pretty offensive, after all, but don't pretend he's the next Hitler, standing atop the Fourth Reich. He's a man who writes books. He has no political weight. His ideas are completely appalling to the average voter. He's not going to hurt you, because he can't.

ninjaRiv:
As I mentioned before, so much of the entertainment we buy goes to feed people's drug habits and DUIs and such. I'll be honest, boycotting a film because of these doesn't seem needed to me. It's stooping to his level just to be petty, imo.

When those people with drug habits and DUIs (you don't have to be that rich to get drunk or get a DUI, btw) start lobbying for the decriminalization of drugs and drunk driving, then they'll be on the same level as OSC. And, even then, they're beliefs and lobbying won't be based on some backwards hate for their brain cells or the victims of drunk driving, something OSC can't claim in his lobbying for the criminalization of homosexuality.

So, once again, we're not stooping to his level, and I fail to see who we're being petty for avoiding something associated with such a disgusting person.

The Lyre:
The success of this movie will be the primary factor in deciding whether or not films are made of the subsequent books - or at least, it will have a huge impact on the budget of those films. The success of this movie does heavily impact on the future of everyone working on it - namely, it provides them with steady, reliable work, which isn't something that's guaranteed for many people in the film industry.

Bentusi16:

He won't be getting any kind of 'cut'. He'll have been paid for the rights to use his work, and he might have received an additional sum based upon whatever he contributed to the making of the film. Everything else, every other studio and production team involved, were also paid by contract, for the work provided. They won't be receiving a cut either, so at least this boycott won't immediately hurt innocent people's livelihoods. For now.

The only exception I can think of is DVD sales - I believe some staff and crew can be entitled to a percentage of the DVD sales. Card has already made his money from this film, however - he almost certainly won't be getting a cut from DVD/BR sales.

This is an entirely moot point, however - Card is already a wealthy man. This is a drop in the ocean to him. Boycotting this film will not hurt Card's bank account in any way. It won't detract from a cut he isn't getting, and even if it did, that wouldn't affect him. Intentionally attempting to sabotage the film's success, however, will have already made sequels less likely simply from a controversy angle, and that is taking away future job opportunities and wages from those who actually need it, who had nothing to do with this.

People are desperate to hurt Card because he's an intolerant prick, but that's blinded them to the fact that this is only going to cause collateral damage. Card doesn't give a shit if the movie is bad - people will just be leaving the theatre saying "Well, the book was way better". Nor does he give a shit if the movie doesn't sell - he's already got plenty of money.

EDIT; I'd also like to remind everyone that Card's 'ideals' completely violate basic human rights, and go against the majority opinion in most if not all western countries.

In short, he's never going to affect anything, he's never going to get political power, and the only justification you have for this is personal offense.

That's fine - he's pretty offensive, after all, but don't pretend he's the next Hitler, standing atop the Fourth Reich. He's a man who writes books. He has no political weight. His ideas are completely appalling to the average voter. He's not going to hurt you, because he can't.

At least someone finally came along and put my rambly bullshit into a meaningful post! By a fellow Hellblazer fan, too. This is more or less what I'm trying to get at; boycotting the movie is going to hurt a lot of people that have nothing to do with Card.

I don't know how true the thing about his payment is, but I did have a feeling that's how it would be. Pretty sure studios buy the rights, as opposed to offering royalties.

And that's a very good point about Card not having a lot of power, however he does have the power of a popular author. Then again, I can't see anything he writes now being greeted with the success of his previous work.

The Lyre:

What, most if not all Western nation give gay people the same rights as straight people? Homophobia isn't an issue?

Yeah, that's not particularly true.

LifeCharacter:

ninjaRiv:

When those people with drug habits and DUIs (you don't have to be that rich to get drunk or get a DUI, btw) start lobbying for the decriminalization of drugs and drunk driving, then they'll be on the same level as OSC. And, even then, they're beliefs and lobbying won't be based on some backwards hate for their brain cells or the victims of drunk driving, something OSC can't claim in his lobbying for the criminalization of homosexuality.

So, once again, we're not stooping to his level, and I fail to see who we're being petty for avoiding something associated with such a disgusting person.

Fair point, I suppose but I still say it's a bit petty. It's been suggested by another poster that Card has already been paid for the rights so he wont being seeing much more money for it at all. But yeah, I still think it's petty. not like super "you're a dick" petty but more like tea-bagging petty.

thaluikhain:

The Lyre:

What, most if not all Western nation give gay people the same rights as straight people? Homophobia isn't an issue?

Given the progress being made, it's kinda nearly true

The Lyre:
Card doesn't give a shit if the movie is bad - people will just be leaving the theatre saying "Well, the book was way better". Nor does he give a shit if the movie doesn't sell - he's already got plenty of money.

Ok this more than a little off topic but I will throw it out there. I've listened to many of his books and at the end there's usually an interview where Card talks about writing the book or what have you. In one of them (Ender's Shadow I think) he spoke about turning his books into movies. He's been approached multiple times about turning the books into movies dating back as early as the early/mid 90s and each time he's turned them down for various reasons.

One big reason he kept turning them down was that he didn't feel you could find enough young actors with the range of acting talent that is needed to make the movie. Now obviously the studios' answer was always to make the characters older and he outright refused that option flatly. Another reason early on was largely due to the limits of special effects at the time. Then of course you had studios that wanted to totally change things where you would end up with an Ender's Game movie in name only, much like the recent World War Z movie.

I think Card cares quite a bit about how his work translates out of written media. If he was interested in simply being paid we would have had an Ender's Game movie a decade or two ago. The fact he held out for this long speaks rather highly of him strictly on the basis of caring about how is novel is portrayed in movie form. As we know not all authors care nearly as much and will give up the movie rights to their work for with no care to what happens to it as long as the check clears the bank.

ninjaRiv:

thaluikhain:

The Lyre:

It's a lot closer to being true than it was a few decades ago, but that's not the same thing.

thaluikhain:

ninjaRiv:

thaluikhain:

It's a lot closer to being true than it was a few decades ago, but that's not the same thing.

Way I see it is Card's trying to stop a car in motion by holding onto the rear bumper. Progress is going to be made with or without him. I think it's more true than you think.

thaluikhain:

The Lyre:

You've been sarcastic about this when quoting me before, and, like last time, I'll point you to things like;

The Times poll that found that 76% of UK citizens answering the poll agreed that same-sex couples should have the same rights as heterosexual couples.

The overwhelming majority of MPs - over 2 to 1 - that voted in favour of the recent bill.

Homophobia is an issue but it comes from a tiny minority in Western countries. The media blows it out of proportion when in fact the massive majority of Western citizens are apathetic at worst. Most genuinely think that homosexuals should have exactly the same rights as heterosexuals.

And, again, yes, they do give them the same rights.

Not in name, but civil partnerships give exactly the same rights as marriage. The only difference is the term used, and before this decade is done that will have changed. At least, in the UK it will have.

Everything else is already taken care of, by law, in the form of anti-discrimination laws etc.

Publically, politically and legally - again, in my country at least - homosexuals technically already have exactly the same treatment, and they will do in name too in that one last area before long.

Just because the media tells you that there's a massive debate going on doesn't actually make it true. There's just a small but obstructive minority in the way.

If you're waiting for 100% of the population to accept homosexuals you're going to be waiting forever - nothing in the world has 100% approval. You're always going to find a crazy minority that hates everything.

Shock and Awe:
I have never had anything against Card or Ender's Game. I disagree with views, but it does not make me wish ill will upon the man or this project. I honestly loved Ender's Game, and can't wait to see the move and no boycott is going to change my mind.

This is pretty much my view too, especially given how long it's taken to finally get this movie off the ground. While I strongly disagree with Card's politics, and I'm not a fan of anything else he's written, I'd much prefer to encourage writers and artists who have created new and wonderful works of art, regardless of their politics or beliefs.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked