State troopers no longer confiscating tampons in Texas Senate

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/tampons-confiscated-texas_n_3588177.html

Yeah, they've decided that this was a stupid move. I'm led to believe they still confiscate sugary snacks from people with diabetes, though.

Guns are fine, so that gun that shoots chocolate should be ok.

So they were concerned about thing being thrown and allowed guns?
Because that makes sense.
And you can't possibly throw a gun, right?

cahtush:
So they were concerned about thing being thrown and allowed guns?
Because that makes sense.
And you can't possibly throw a gun, right?

Apparently, in the old days of Superman, the actor would stand around being shot at, but would duck thrown guns. The bullets were special effects, but the gun was a big solid prop.

Texas should have just put anyone throwing things in jail for a month instead of discriminating against tampons and pads.

I bet the Huffington post report is leaving out that tampons have been throw but I could be wrong.

And the major point at hand... the bill to essentially outlaw abortion in Texas is going to pass, rendering the previous fracas and fillibuster moot.

I wonder just how many women are going to die because of this bill?

Oh wait, none of them are related to the Texas state representatives or the governor, so I guess they don't matter.

Every single medical authority in the state opposes the bill. But who needs qualified medical advice when you can listen to the psychotic Bible thumpers outside.

I'm angry, by the way.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
And the major point at hand... the bill to essentially outlaw abortion in Texas is going to pass, rendering the previous fracas and fillibuster moot.

Oh wait, none of them are related to the Texas state representatives or the governor, so I guess they don't matter.

Every single medical authority in the state opposes the bill. But who needs qualified medical advice when you can listen to the psychotic Bible thumpers outside.

I'm angry, by the way.

More females will survive. How angry do you think abortions make anti-abortionists who see them as murder.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I'm angry, by the way.

One wonders if banning tampons was a bizarre backhanded way of trying to get women away from a decision on women's rights.

I am sorry and I honestly don't mean to sound like I hate Americans because I don't hate you guys and every country has its problems but sometimes I am convinced the USA is not a real country, its like a parody country set up by a cabal of international comedians to help them generate material. When it comes to guns anyway, first you have lobby groups over there trying to get video games with guns in banned while refusing to do anything at all about the real guns. Not banning just some sensible regulations.

Now you have authorities trying to ban female sanitary items out of a government building in case they are thrown but allowing people to carry guns instead? In such a heated angry debate where people have had death threats, been assaulted and even been killed?

J Tyran:
I am sorry and I honestly don't mean to sound like I hate Americans because I don't hate you guys and every country has its problems but sometimes I am convinced the USA is not a real country, its like a parody country set up by a cabal of international comedians to help them generate material.

I know what you mean. Though, likewise not judging all Texans, but Texas seems to get more than its fair share of stuff like this. The legislator saying abortions were unnecessary because hospital have rape kits the other day was from Texas, for example.

thaluikhain:

J Tyran:
I am sorry and I honestly don't mean to sound like I hate Americans because I don't hate you guys and every country has its problems but sometimes I am convinced the USA is not a real country, its like a parody country set up by a cabal of international comedians to help them generate material.

I know what you mean. Though, likewise not judging all Texans, but Texas seems to get more than its fair share of stuff like this. The legislator saying abortions were unnecessary because hospital have rape kits the other day was from Texas, for example.

Ouch, have you got a source? I assume by "rape kit" the numpty was referring to physical/forensic evidence collection equipment?

J Tyran:
Ouch, have you got a source? I assume by "rape kit" the numpty was referring to physical/forensic evidence collection equipment?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/24/jodie-laubenberg-texas-rape_n_3493220.html

Yeah, just forensic stuff. And that's assuming that all hospitals have rape kits anyway, there's been a lot of worrying cutbacks for stuff like that. Some places collect the evidence, they throw it in a warehouse and forget about it to save on DNA testing it.

So in other words security were not allowing items which could cause a nuisance and it's been spun into some kind of anti women story.
The funny thing is that after hearing arguments on the escapist I'm starting to think that limiting abortion isn't a bad idea.

thaluikhain:

J Tyran:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/24/jodie-laubenberg-texas-rape_n_3493220.html

Yeah, just forensic stuff. And that's assuming that all hospitals have rape kits anyway, there's been a lot of worrying cutbacks for stuff like that. Some places collect the evidence, they throw it in a warehouse and forget about it to save on DNA testing it.

It was worse than I thought, I thought they meant abortion was unnecessary because they could catch the rapist. They actually believed those kits where to stop the victim from getting pregnant? image

Its also assuming that even if every hospital had the equipment that every victim goes to hospital.

FreedomofInformation:
So in other words security were not allowing items which could cause a nuisance and it's been spun into some kind of anti women story.

That's because it is a gender related incident, all kinds of things could be thrown and cause a nuisance but they where confiscating a feminine hygiene item instead. This wasn't confiscating tomatoes or paintballs it was something those women need, potentially even excluding some women from even being there.

Charles_Martel:
I bet the Huffington post report is leaving out that tampons have been throw but I could be wrong.

Don't be so hasty, master Martel.

EARLIER:

State troopers are confiscating tampons, maxi pads and other potential projectiles from those who are entering the Texas capitol to watch the debate and vote on a controversial anti-abortion bill. Guns, however, which are typically permitted in the state capitol, are still being allowed.

They called them "potential projectiles," alluding to their use in such events.

J Tyran:
Now you have authorities trying to ban female sanitary items out of a government building in case they are thrown but allowing people to carry guns instead? In such a heated angry debate where people have had death threats, been assaulted and even been killed?

Guns have been allowed at the capitol for years. The problem that the troopers are having is that people are throwing those hygiene products at Senators as a form of protest (which I think we can agree is not a good thing).

There has never been a shooting inside the capitol building in all of the years it has been allowed (they have had the CHL entrance since 2010 but it was allowed since 1996). No problems. And that includes the CHL on Campus debates where some anti-gunners were calling CHLs a bunch of illogical nut jobs. There were more CHLs in that room than you can expect in any other debate at the Capital. No shootings (despite one idiot Senator's dire warning).

farson135:

J Tyran:

Guns have been allowed at the capitol for years. The problem that the troopers are having is that people are throwing those hygiene products at Senators as a form of protest (which I think we can agree is not a good thing).

There has never been a shooting inside the capitol building in all of the years it has been allowed (they have had the CHL entrance since 2010 but it was allowed since 1996). No problems. And that includes the CHL on Campus debates where some anti-gunners were calling CHLs a bunch of illogical nut jobs. There were more CHLs in that room than you can expect in any other debate at the Capital. No shootings (despite one idiot Senator's dire warning).

So because some women abused them (we do agree its a bad thing) others might be excluded from the political process because of it? You guys don't fix other issues that a minority abuse, why suddenly draw a line here? The people that did throw them should be punished and kicked out, maybe arrested depending on the state the projectiles.

Plus personally I would have sympathy with the women that are angry here.

Charles_Martel:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I'm angry, by the way.

More females will survive. How angry do you think abortions make anti-abortionists who see them as murder.

I dunno, but I'm willing to bet coat hanger abortions are far more dangerous than some wacky bombers.

thaluikhain:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I'm angry, by the way.

One wonders if banning tampons was a bizarre backhanded way of trying to get women away from a decision on women's rights.

That seems to be the general tone. It wouldn't surprise me. This is Texas, where the only ones allowed to have actual rights that cannot be infringed are white, straight, rich, Christian, males.

J Tyran:
I am sorry and I honestly don't mean to sound like I hate Americans because I don't hate you guys and every country has its problems but sometimes I am convinced the USA is not a real country, its like a parody country set up by a cabal of international comedians to help them generate material. When it comes to guns anyway, first you have lobby groups over there trying to get video games with guns in banned while refusing to do anything at all about the real guns. Not banning just some sensible regulations.

As an American, I find this outstanding, and can only say I wish it were true. It's like an Illuminati type conspiracy, but way funnier. America is like a gold mine for this kind of stuff. I'm assuming you've already seen this: http://americablog.com/2013/02/mississippi-abolishes-slavery-148-years-too-late.html ?

OT: I can see the potential for a biological hazard if people are throwing used hygiene products, but this is just retarded.

Jux:

J Tyran:

As an American, I find this outstanding, and can only say I wish it were true. It's like an Illuminati type conspiracy, but way funnier. America is like a gold mine for this kind of stuff. I'm assuming you've already seen this: http://americablog.com/2013/02/mississippi-abolishes-slavery-148-years-too-late.html ?

OT: I can see the potential for a biological hazard if people are throwing used hygiene products, but this is just retarded.

I remember that story when it broke, always made me wonder if it was left an oversight after the national ban on slavery made it irrelevant or if it was deliberately left in case the Federal ban was ever overturned or ruled unconstitutional so they could resume business as usual.

If the tampons/towels where thrown after they where used the throwers should be arrested and prosecuted, its pretty disgusting if they where considering the risk of transmitting blood borne diseases like HIV and Hepatitis as well as STDs.

J Tyran:
So because some women abused them (we do agree its a bad thing) others might be excluded from the political process because of it?

I do not think that anyone is being excluded. The objects in their purses are though.

You guys don't fix other issues that a minority abuse, why suddenly draw a line here? The people that did throw them should be punished and kicked out, maybe arrested depending on the state the projectiles.

Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with what they are doing (it is private property they are taking). However, some people are making this out to be a bigger issue than it is. The guns are not being used as a political statement (they are concealed) but the tampons are. I would much prefer decorum over showmanship in the Capitol (no matter your view).

Plus personally I would have sympathy with the women that are angry here.

I had more sympathy until I talked to one of the protesters. I live in Austin not far from the Capitol so I know people who are protesting. Unfortunately some of those people are massive idiots and I would rather not wade into that mess.

farson135:

J Tyran:
So because some women abused them (we do agree its a bad thing) others might be excluded from the political process because of it?

I do not think that anyone is being excluded. The objects in their purses are though.

If a women is in her menstrual cycle and her feminine hygiene products are taken away she may have to leave, thats constructive exclusion. Excluding people from political debate is wrong, excluding women from a political debate thats heavily tied into female rights is even worse.

Its almost like its deliberate...

J Tyran:

farson135:

J Tyran:

If a women is in her menstrual cycle and her feminine hygiene products are taken away she may have to leave, thats constructive exclusion. Excluding people from political debate is wrong, excluding women from a political debate thats heavily tied into female rights is even worse.

Yes. Because it's a vast conspiracy by THE WHITE STRAIGHT CHRISTIAN MAN to KEEP TEH WOMAN DOWN.

Fuck, I mean, they're also confiscating condoms. Keeping the MALE DOWN.

Oh right, and it's only WITHIN THE GALLERY ITSELF. Meaning as long as your in the rest of the building you can have them.

And they aren't removing any that people are wearing, apparently.

Like, fucking seriously? They just don't want people throwing shit in the gallery.

Occams razor. Fuck.

Oh right, adn that reminds me: Who in the FUCK would whip out their tampon IN PUBLIC and PUT IT IN. As long as they LEAVE THE GALLERY they can get their tampon and put it in, and I dunno what happens where you life but generally when girls have to deal with that shit they go to the bathroom. So again, EVEN IF THE TAMPON WAS CONFISCATED ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED. She would STILL have to leave the gallery to put in her fucking tampon.

J Tyran:

farson135:

J Tyran:

As far as I am aware they are not taking the pads or tampons off of or out of the women themselves. Also, I highly doubt that would be an effective tactic. Ostensibly a majority of the women were not on their cycle that day and some of them would be old enough that it does not matter. If we add in the basic fact that the gallery is not infinitely large (it is actually quite small) the women can still have their voices heard (metaphorically). So overall bad tactic if it was a tactic and I have seen no proof that it was.

Guys, the Texas Legislature is a relatively calm legislature and it prides itself on that. This is not a conspiracy. This is more governmental bullshit.

farson135:

J Tyran:

farson135:

As far as I am aware they are not taking the pads or tampons off of or out of the women themselves. Also, I highly doubt that would be an effective tactic. Ostensibly a majority of the women were not on their cycle that day and some of them would be old enough that it does not matter. If we add in the basic fact that the gallery is not infinitely large (it is actually quite small) the women can still have their voices heard (metaphorically). So overall bad tactic if it was a tactic and I have seen no proof that it was.

Guys, the Texas Legislature is a relatively calm legislature and it prides itself on that. This is not a conspiracy. This is more governmental bullshit.

I know its not a conspiracy and you know its not a conspiracy but they have left themselves open to the accusation, frankly in a debate so sensitive they should have known better than to create a gender related shitstorm in the middle of a gender related rights issue. As for which women where menstruating, well its none of our business and its none of the local governments business but how where they to know which women did or did not need them at the time?

A survey maybe? Well they could be lying so they could smuggle them in... so how about a medical exam to make sure? Of course thats not only absurd its pretty invasive and none of the governments business. They might not have been taking the ones off that the ladies where wearing but they do need changing, depriving people of their dignity like that or constructively excluding them is plain wrong.

Edit.

Removed comment that accused you off defending this, realised you where not and think its shit too just for differant reasons.

Bentusi16:

J Tyran:

farson135:

Yes. Because it's a vast conspiracy by THE WHITE STRAIGHT CHRISTIAN MAN to KEEP TEH WOMAN DOWN.

Fuck, I mean, they're also confiscating condoms. Keeping the MALE DOWN.

Oh right, and it's only WITHIN THE GALLERY ITSELF. Meaning as long as your in the rest of the building you can have them.

And they aren't removing any that people are wearing, apparently.

Like, fucking seriously? They just don't want people throwing shit in the gallery.

Occams razor. Fuck.

Oh right, adn that reminds me: Who in the FUCK would whip out their tampon IN PUBLIC and PUT IT IN. As long as they LEAVE THE GALLERY they can get their tampon and put it in, and I dunno what happens where you life but generally when girls have to deal with that shit they go to the bathroom. So again, EVEN IF THE TAMPON WAS CONFISCATED ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED. She would STILL have to leave the gallery to put in her fucking tampon.

You might need a new keyboard mate, it looks like your shift key is stuck. I don't know why people are trying to defend the idiots that did this, there can never be justification for a government trying to deprive anyone of their dignity regardless of gender. Obviously the ladies do not change them in public, thats a straw man but even if they where returned to the women after the left some women might find it embarrassing to go up to a security officer in public and say,

"Please may I have my sanitary items back"

and then obviously go to the toilets, its a private matter that noone has any business to intrude upon and especially not the government. It might be embarrassing and degrading for some people and depriving people of their dignity is damn wrong, expecting them to have to go and ask for them to be returned if they need to go and freshen up is fairly nasty and spiteful. I don't think you would like to be put into a position like that in a large, busy public building.

As for condoms, well I won't comment but if you go away for a moment and sit and think about it you might be able to realise for yourself why it was a pretty poor example and comparison.

If people where disrupting the debate then they should have been thrown out, maybe arrested and prosecuted depending on what they did. Noone else should have been affected by it.

I mean damn, I shouldn't have to say any of this. Its all pretty implicit and no great insight, everyone has a right to personal privacy and dignity and the government should never, ever intrude like this.

J Tyran:
I know its not a conspiracy and you know its not a conspiracy but they have left themselves open to the accusation

Anything they do leaves them open to accusations. Last month people accused them of tampering with the time stamp on a bill. They didn't. The Legislative Library just changed the date on the website (and nowhere else).

As for which women where menstruating, well its none of our business and its none of the local governments business but how where they to know which women did or did not need them at the time?

A survey maybe? Well they could be lying so they could smuggle them in... so how about a medical exam to make sure? Of course thats not only absurd its pretty invasive and none of the governments business. They might not have been taking the ones off that the ladies where wearing but they do need changing, depriving people of their dignity like that or constructively excluding them is plain wrong.

My point was more that it is statistically improbable that a majority of the protesting women would even be menstruating at the time. Once again, that does not make it right but it would make it an idiotic tactic (if it was one).

farson135:
My point was more that it is statistically improbable that a majority of the protesting women would even be menstruating at the time. Once again, that does not make it right but it would make it an idiotic tactic (if it was one).

Doesn't matter whether they all where or one person was, making even a single member of the public have to go and ask in public for her items back to manage what is a matter of personal privacy is wrong. Some women might find that humiliating and its out of order for the government to involve itself in individual matters of hygiene and dignity

Thats my argument, I personally do not believe it was a conspiracy to get certain people thrown out. I can see why some people might perceive it that way though but its the intrusion into peoples private lives and the fact that some of the women may have been excluded because of it that I find ugly.

Noone should be excluded from politics without good reason in a democracy and noone should have their private life intruded upon by the government like that.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I'm angry, by the way.

That's really funny because 62% of Texas and a majority of the country supports banning abortion after 20 weeks. Also, look to Europe. 20 week abortion is unheard of there. It's 12 weeks in some EU member countries.

Pro-abortion fanatics are in the extreme minority in America (and the world,) but they are the loudest. Doesn't make them right though.

Big_Willie_Styles:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I'm angry, by the way.

That's really funny because 62% of Texas and a majority of the country supports banning abortion after 20 weeks. Also, look to Europe. 20 week abortion is unheard of there. It's 12 weeks in some EU member countries.

Pro-abortion fanatics are in the extreme minority in America (and the world,) but they are the loudest. Doesn't make them right though.

Except that the bill effectively closes every single abortion clinic in the state of Texas. Forget 20 weeks, with this bill a woman's options are

A) Cross state lines
B) Use a coat hanger or other back alley method

Terrific options.

Also, may I remind you that abortion is LEGAL in the United States, and has been for a while. The minority are the people removing rights from women because their magical being in the sky said so.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Except that the bill effectively closes every single abortion clinic in the state of Texas. Forget 20 weeks, with this bill a woman's options are

A) Cross state lines

Terrific options.

Also, may I remind you that abortion is LEGAL in the United States, and has been for a while. The minority are the people removing rights from women because their magical being in the sky said so.

Except that's bullshit. 40 of the 45 (or whatever number people are peddling today) abortion clinics in Texas would not be in compliance with this law. That doesn't mean they close immediately. They just have to come into compliance. This law was passed explicitly because of the Gosnell horror show. PA passed one in 2011 after Gosnell was arrested.

Nice emotional argument and scare tactics there. Try using facts.

Abortion is legal in the United States up to a point. And considering Roe v. Wade is still the most controversial SCOTUS decision of the last 50 years and abortion is the most divisive social issue in the country shows the issue ain't settled.

The minority? You mean 50% of the country or more? I suggest you look up the definition of "minority."

Also, abortion is not a right. The right to life is one. Because the government does not grant rights. It grants privileges.

Big_Willie_Styles:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

A) Cross state lines

Terrific options.

Except that's bullshit. 40 of the 45 (or whatever number people are peddling today) abortion clinics in Texas would not be in compliance with this law. That doesn't mean they close immediately. They just have to come into compliance. This law was passed explicitly because of the Gosnell horror show. PA passed one in 2011 after Gosnell was arrested.

Abortion is legal in the United States up to a point. And considering Roe v. Wade is still the most controversial SCOTUS decision of the last 50 years and abortion is the most divisive social issue in the country shows the issue ain't settled.

The minority? You mean 50% of the country or more? I suggest you look up the definition of "minority."

Also, abortion is not a right. The right to life is one. Because the government does not grant rights. It grants privileges.

Bring them into compliance? To do so would require far more money than is feasible to run the business. It's like saying you can only keep your car if you pay $5,000,000. Yeah, you COULD pay the money to keep the car, but it isn't financially reasonable.

It isn't an appeal to scare tactics. It is a realistic choice a woman will be forced to make for YOUR beliefs.

The law had nothing to do with Gosnell, and everything to do with forcing an agenda through. Which is exactly why the law WILL be struck down.

Last I checked abortion statistics (Rueters Poll, March 2013), it was 49% in favor, 48% against. So that would make YOUR side a minority.

Actually reading the summary of the bill....I'm okay with this. 20 weeks is honestly beyond what I'd choose and I have nothing against having abortion clinics meeting the standards of any other place surgical operations are done. Abortion to me is an unfortunate thing that is worse illegal then legal. I don't like it personally, though I agree with the old democrat standpoint of having them safe, legal, and rare.

Odd. When I went to the capital to protest I had to go through a metal detector...
Might be a bit hyperbolic, that huffington post.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Big_Willie_Styles:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

A) Cross state lines

Terrific options.

Bring them into compliance? To do so would require far more money than is feasible to run the business. It's like saying you can only keep your car if you pay $5,000,000. Yeah, you COULD pay the money to keep the car, but it isn't financially reasonable.

It isn't an appeal to scare tactics. It is a realistic choice a woman will be forced to make for YOUR beliefs.

The law had nothing to do with Gosnell, and everything to do with forcing an agenda through. Which is exactly why the law WILL be struck down.

Last I checked abortion statistics (Rueters Poll, March 2013), it was 49% in favor, 48% against. So that would make YOUR side a minority.

Honestly, from what I have seen of Planned Parenthood in Texas, they really do need more oversight and need to be brought up to standard because they are severely lacking. The one I went to at 16 put me in the ER, and that was only for the pill. Rather than have facilities for the wealthy and facilities for the poor that are substandard, they should have them all up to code and not segregate the wealthy from the poor as they do currently. Any facility should be equipped in case something goes wrong, and the sad truth is they are not equipped to deal with that currently, hell they can't even seem to keep them sanitary, or follow proper procedure and they should be made to do so. If the MAJORITY want this to be safe, then they need to put their money where their mouth is and make it so. Putting out the excuse that " it is too expensive" to ensure safety is only enabling unsafe conditions to continue rather than trying to solve the problem.

OT: I would think they only banned the tampons temporarily due to the same fears prison guards have when they have feces thrown at them. Having something like that thrown at you is quite disturbing, and fear of infection is what prisoners use to intimidate guards . I do not blame them for taking those precautions, and see that it only makes sense for them to lift it after the fact.

Edit: Removed rest of post, was confused about article. Still, while the abortion-bill is stupid, shouldn't they confiscate ANYTHING that might be thrown? How-about shoes?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked