The Black Community

I hear this phrase a lot, "The Black Community," but I find it incredibly hypocritical. If we as a nation, as this seems to be mainly a US problem (no, I'm not saying racism is exclusive to America), are supposed to treat all people equally regardless of ethnicity, why is it ok to still refer to communities based on their genetic make up? The only time I ever see this being appropriate is when the issue has to do specifically genetics, like sickle cell disease.

Can someone please explain to me how someone can come out and say that they want to be treated like everyone else, but then talk about how they're a member of "The Black Community." It sounds to me like a case of having your cake.

The Apple BOOM:
Can someone please explain to me how someone can come out and say that they want to be treated like everyone else, but then talk about how they're a member of "The Black Community."

Er...they say they want to be treated like everyone else, because they currently aren't?

Nobody goes around demanding the right to be treated as a mammalian vertebrate, they demand things they don't currently have.

You know it's quite ordinary to have sub-cultures or communities within a nation state, or indeed any unit of cultural identity. In the United Kingdom there's a Muslim community, Hindi Communities, Polish communities, Afro-Caribbean communities, Welsh communities- the list is endless.

In my local Liverpool there's a notable Irish and Chinese community. I wouldn't view them as being any more or less scouse than Liverpudlians with a white English background. People from common cultural backgrounds come together to form distinctive sub-cultural units.

There are enough social and cultural differences between Blacks and Whites in the US that the phrase can be understood by people who are aware of these differences. If the two communities were identical, the phrase would be meaningless to everyone.

So yes, they want to be treated the same, but as of yet, they are not. That's why the phrase exists.

The Apple BOOM:
I hear this phrase a lot, "The Black Community," but I find it incredibly hypocritical. If we as a nation, as this seems to be mainly a US problem (no, I'm not saying racism is exclusive to America), are supposed to treat all people equally regardless of ethnicity, why is it ok to still refer to communities based on their genetic make up? The only time I ever see this being appropriate is when the issue has to do specifically genetics, like sickle cell disease.

Can someone please explain to me how someone can come out and say that they want to be treated like everyone else, but then talk about how they're a member of "The Black Community." It sounds to me like a case of having your cake.

I think you may be confusing genetics with culture. Black people in the United States tend to associate together in a subculture that has developed largely along racial lines. It is therefore connected to genetics, but it isn't a "genetic community." It's a cultural one.

It's the same as referring to this as the "Escapist community." It's just a way of addressing a group of people that share certain traits or common interests.

Oh this politically correct nonsense. A community is a group based on some common ground. We're a gaming community, there's a gay/lesbian community, there's an elderly community and a hindu community. I am part of a small community because of my faith and heritage. It's shared with my (extended) family and other families whose origins are the same as mine. We share cultural, traditional, lingual and other values which I do not share with my closest friends, work colleagues or others because they aren't a part of it.

Being black means being part of the black community. It means facing the same challenges, having the same familial background and traditions as other black families. One thing most black teens in the US today have in common, for example, is that they will have had a parent, grandparent or great grandparent who lived in the time before they had the same civil liberties as other citizens.

Just because the OP or anyone else isn't a member of a given community does not take away from its being. They exist because a group of like minded people share common ground, heritage, traditions, language, persecution, history, culture, values or whatever. Someone not a member of a minority group will never really be able to understand what it's like to be part of one. It's like trying to explain faith or religion to atheists, they don't, can't or won't understand.

KingsGambit:
A community is a group based on some common ground. We're a gaming community, there's a gay/lesbian community, there's an elderly community and a hindu community. I am part of a small community because of my faith and heritage. It's shared with my (extended) family and other families whose origins are the same as mine. We share cultural, traditional, lingual and other values which I do not share with my closest friends, work colleagues or others because they aren't a part of it.

Precisely what this guy says. It's entirely down to "common ground". Don't conflate it with being some kind of club-- there aren't entry requirements, there's no test, and there's nothing that excludes anybody from anything (so non-blacks aren't being excluded from "the black community").

Talking about separate demographics or "communities" is a useful tool for analysing trends, news, attitudes and prejudices. It's also quite accurate when small communities form along those lines within the larger community (such as chinatowns).

I'll bring up your displeasure with the term at the next big meeting.

As a card-carrying member of the Anglo-Saxon community I have no ill feelings towards any members of the black community and I welcome their participation in any and all civic events and encounters.

Abomination:
As a card-carrying member of the Anglo-Saxon community I have no ill feelings towards any members of the black community and I welcome their participation in any and all civic events and encounters.

I still need to get my card renewed. I'm missing out on the 10% off movie popcorn rebate.

I still don't understand how you can define a culture along genetic lines in modern America, and be any less racist than "White Communities", which everyone knows and loves (and by loves, I mean hates).

While people claim you don't need to be black to be a part of this, to be a full blooded German, even if you grew up with like minded individuals, it is almost universally unacceptable for you to say something like nigga (as in the nonracist version of the word).

Just what the internet needs. Another thread about someone crying over not being about to use a racial slur. Woooo!

The Apple BOOM:
I still don't understand how you can define a culture along genetic lines in modern America, and be any less racist than "White Communities", which everyone knows and loves (and by loves, I mean hates).

While people claim you don't need to be black to be a part of this, to be a full blooded German, even if you grew up with like minded individuals, it is almost universally unacceptable for you to say something like nigga (as in the nonracist version of the word).

Communities like the one you have a problem with are created over hundreds of years. There is a "black community" in the US because for the better part of 400 years, the only ones who would help blacks were other blacks. And it isn't going to go away just because civil rights was achieved. Not as long as cases like Martin/Zimmerman keep popping up every 5 years or so.

I think the US has the highest degree of "parallel" societies of any nation, it is getting better with time but from an outsiders point of view it all seems segregated. Brazil is probably one of the greatest examples of both racial and ethnic integration, the only discriminatory distinction in Brazil comes down to whether you are rich or poor and what kind of clothes you wear.

The Apple BOOM:

That'd be because wider society is essentially "white" society in the US, I imagine. They are the (vast) majority.

If you were to identify the "white community", you'd be defining it as about 80% of people in the US. There'd be no shared experience, no common ground. There's no point in identifying them as a separate community to analyse the prejudices they face within wider society, because they are wider society.

O maestre:
I think the US has the highest degree of "parallel" societies of any nation, it is getting better with time but from an outsiders point of view it all seems segregated. Brazil is probably one of the greatest examples of both racial and ethnic integration, the only discriminatory distinction in Brazil comes down to whether you are rich or poor and what kind of clothes you wear.

Given that at times Brazilians have enforced those distinctions via death squads I don't think Brazil's really a shining example of a unprejudiced society.

Silvanus:

The Apple BOOM:

That'd be because wider society is essentially "white" society in the US, I imagine. They are the (vast) majority.

If you were to identify the "white community", you'd be defining it as about 80% of people in the US. There'd be no shared experience, no common ground. There's no point in identifying them as a separate community to analyse the prejudices they face within wider society, because they are wider society.

"whites" in the us are just about to become the minority. an another couple of decades and the majority of Americans will have "mixed race" ancestry. "melting pot" an' all that...

as for "the black community" they are actually probably over represented in the media and politics/public life because people who self identify as "Black or "African American" only actually make up 13% of the US population...

The Apple BOOM:

What does racism have to do with anything? By existing, a black person is racist??

One can define oneself or a community by absolutely any criteria. The local community is based on georgraphy, ie. living in the same neighbourhood. A school community are the students who attend a given school. The law-enforcement community comprises members of law enforcement organisations. The prisoner community are in-mates at a given jail. The escapist community are gamers who post regularly on this forum. The black community is comprised of people who are black. The INFJ community is a community of individuals like myself, who are INFJ according to the Myers-Briggs test. Each group has something in common, have an affinity for other community members and some common ground.

As Escapists, we're affected by the announcements of next gen consoles. A school rule that says no soda allowed in school affects a given school community. What is your issue with the black community?

The Apple BOOM:

What does racism have to do with anything? Here's the thing with using "nigga"...if you know the person to whom you're directing it, chances are you're friends and will be fine. If you do not know the person, why would you use it?

I have to say I'm struggling to understand the dilemma here. Are you saying black people are racist because they're black? That full-blooded Germans are black? That black people shouldn't be allowed to have anything in common with each other? That the idea of communities offends you? Are you calling white people racist?

Sleekit:
"whites" in the us are just about to become the minority. an another couple of decades and the majority of Americans will have "mixed race" ancestry. "melting pot" an' all that...

Well, I'll be, the US census bureau has a similar projection to this (though including white-Hispanics, "whites" still make up 77.9%).

Sleekit:
as for "the black community" they are actually probably over represented in the media and politics/public life because people who self identify as "Black or "African American" only actually make up 13% of the US population...

There are no African American members of the Senate, and only 40/435 of the members of the House of Representatives are African American, making them under-represented there too. Only one Governor is African-American.

Sleekit:

That depends to a large extent on whether "whites" largely co-opt Hispanics into the same group, which could be achieved through cultural integration of the two such that Hispanics become another mainstream white subculture.

Given current situation and progress, the chances of that integration seem low. However, the Irish, Italians etc. were responded to with considerable distaste during their immigration period too before being ultimately embraced, so it might occur.

Axolotl:

O maestre:

Given that at times Brazilians have enforced those distinctions via death squads I don't think Brazil's really a shining example of a unprejudiced society.

Didn't say that Brazil was a shining example of anything other than integration, i agree with you that they enforce class distinctions with violent and brutal efficiency, it is an all or nothing society even more so than the US, either you are rich or you are worthless, but at least they don't discriminate based on race, something which in some regards is more desirable, at least to me. wealth is something that you can change in theory, race however is impossible to change, both are not very nice but given the choice id rather be judged on my literal wealth than than my skin.

Sleekit:

Silvanus:

The Apple BOOM:

"A", not "the", minority. Everyone else who isn't pure (ish) white put together will outnumber pure (ish) white people, but they will still be by far the largest single group. They'll almost certainly dominate finace, industry, politics, the military and so on for some time.

mecegirl:
Just what the internet needs. Another thread about someone crying over not being about to use a racial slur. Woooo!

When did anybody "cry about not being allowed to use racial slurs"?

I thought the OP was questioning the legitimacy of calling 39 million people who share nothing in common other than similar melanin levels a "community". I'd agree; I think that stretches the definition of the word "community" to the point where it's almost meaningless. You may as well talk about the "female community" or the "broccoli-eating community".

Batou667:

mecegirl:

I thought the OP was questioning the legitimacy of calling 39 million people who share nothing in common other than similar melanin levels a "community". I'd agree; I think that stretches the definition of the word "community" to the point where it's almost meaningless. You may as well talk about the "female community" or the "broccoli-eating community".

To your question i was referencing this. And I wasn't even being that serious about it.

The Apple BOOM:

And as for your statement it is more than skin color. If that were the case then dark skinned Italians and Indians(actual Indians from India just to clarify) would be considered black. You are not ignorant. You know at least a little bit of America's history concerning people of African decent. It is in part that shared history of oppression that makes the community. Not just slavery, but segregation and a entire slew of mostly negative stereotypes used against Black people.

The Apple BOOM:
it is almost universally unacceptable for you to say something like nigga (as in the nonracist version of the word).

"Universally" Dude, I let my white friends use it all the time, but when I use it around my parents they act like I uttered a swear. Black people collectively can't even agree on this shit.

Batou667:

mecegirl:

See above quote.

mecegirl:

To your question i was referencing this. And I wasn't even being that serious about it.

Ah, fair enough, I didn't read that post.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked