Same-sex marriage now legal in England/Wales

Pages 1 2 NEXT

First, before anyone calls me out on it, I do mean England and Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland have devolved parliaments, and though Scotland has plans to allow legalise, it hasn't quite happened yet.

Anyway, a few days ago the final bill went through Parliament was accepted. The Queen has now officially given the Royal Assent, and is now fully in law.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23338279

Anyhow, thought you might like to know.

Hurray for progress! It only took us until 2013, but seriously this is great news and I couldn't be happier, what will make me even happier will be hearing about all the people who opposed it losing their shit over it. Because you know kids might catch TEH GAY! Why won't someone think of the children!

Good on ya, dad!

Now you just need to convince mum and drunk uncle Patrick then we can be a big gay family!

About bloody time is all I can think of.

Abomination:
Good on ya, dad!

Now you just need to convince mum and drunk uncle Patrick then we can be a big gay family!

Ireland's working on it and it's looking good. We had a whole abortion thing to fuck up first but hopefully we'll get gay marriage done without any problems.

Spot1990:

Abomination:
Good on ya, dad!

Ireland's working on it and it's looking good. We had a whole abortion thing to fuck up first but hopefully we'll get gay marriage done without any problems.

By Ireland you mean Northern Ireland, right?

I heard they start wars over if you get that wrong or something.

Abomination:

Spot1990:

Abomination:
Good on ya, dad!

By Ireland you mean Northern Ireland, right?

I heard they start wars over if you get that wrong or something.

Haha no I meant the rest of us. We're the drunk Paddy's. It's true, but we do give our wars more pleasant names. "The troubles" always sounded nicer than "civil war".

As a Friend of many Bisexual/Homosexual people, this is probably like winning the lottery for them, and i am so happy (or gay, pun intended) for them.

Now that's out of the way, legalize cannabis please government, thank you.

It is nice to see people realize the dark age was literally ages ago. I have to say as a person who once opposed gay marriage that I can not grasp why any one would. I mean all it took for me was to find out my friend was gay, I was thinking they all must be radically different to us straight folk but no they are just normal people.

I did not even know you could be Bi despite being such. My parents religion had me think it was just not possible but well the internet or even mere outside world will not let that ignorance stand in a curious mind.

This disheartened Australian progressive salutes your noble social undertaking, as well as your superior rugby team.

Cricket I'll reserve my judgement for until after the Ashes.

Well, good on them. That's about all I can say, I think. It's a good outcome, and I'm happy for them.

Progress is occurring faster than I expected. Perhaps I underestimated the power of political movements in the 21st century.

I'd hardly call it progress. There's also a hint of the kids using this issue to rebel against the 'man'

What's the difference between the civil partnerships that went before it?

Looking at this* thread on declining number of men getting married because it's a bum deal it's odd to see homosexuals or their handlers push for it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.821782-For-my-fellow-marriage-shy-men

I'm surprised it didn't go through here (Scotland) first. The SNP are always trying to "1-Up" England.

Well just a few more months anyway so it's not too bad. Congrats England and Wales.

Shamanic Rhythm:
This disheartened Australian progressive salutes your noble social undertaking, as well as your superior rugby team.

Cricket I'll reserve my judgement for until after the Ashes.

If it makes you feel better, they've still gone and applied slightly different rules to gay marriage than straight marriage, so things still aren't equal.

On the whole, though, a big step forwards towards equality.

FreedomofInformation:
I'd hardly call it progress. There's also a hint of the kids using this issue to rebel against the 'man'

Looking at this* thread on declining number of men getting married because it's a bum deal it's odd to see homosexuals or their handlers push for it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.821782-For-my-fellow-marriage-shy-men

How do you not see the obvious discrimination that arises from having two entirely identical codes, only with different titles for gay and straight people?

It'd be like saying that there should be a separate title for people who get married in a church and people who get married through a civil celebrant.

Da Orky Man:
First, before anyone calls me out on it, I do mean England and Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland have devolved parliaments, and though Scotland has plans to allow legalise, it hasn't quite happened yet.

Anyway, a few days ago the final bill went through Parliament was accepted. The Queen has now officially given the Royal Assent, and is now fully in law.

I have to ask, are Welsh people religious at all? I mean I've heard about the Scots being Protestant and the Irish being Catholic, but what about the Welsh?

Good, another country acknowledging actual equality on that issue rather than a separate substitute. This is good news for everybody, because it means pressure is mounting on other (especially European) countries that have not accepted it yet or only allow a substitute.

Helmholtz Watson:

Da Orky Man:

I have to ask, are Welsh people religious at all? I mean I've heard about the Scots being Protestant and the Irish being Catholic, but what about the Welsh?

Unless rugby counts as a religion, probably not.

I thought Scotland had already made it legal? Either way, for once Parliament's done something right. Maybe one day I'll get invited to my gay friend's wedding, who knows.

BlackStar42:

Helmholtz Watson:

Da Orky Man:

Unless rugby counts as a religion, probably not.

I thought Scotland had already made it legal? Either way, for once Parliament's done something right. Maybe one day I'll get invited to my gay friend's wedding, who knows.

Scotland's still going through the motions. It'll most likely pass, but it still has to go through the whole rigamarole.

OT: Welcome to the club, England and Wales! Gosh, we're gonna have to spring for a bigger clubhouse soon. Or at least a bigger table...

Helmholtz Watson:

Da Orky Man:

The Welsh are supposed to be the Methodists of the British Isles, but realistically, we're as atheistic as the rest of the island. Unless, as BlackStar said, you count rugby, which I'm fairly sure some do.

Spot1990:

Abomination:
Good on ya, dad!

Gay marriage should be voted in by a landslide since gays never get abortions...

Shamanic Rhythm:

FreedomofInformation:

How do you not see the obvious discrimination that arises from having two entirely identical codes, only with different titles for gay and straight people?

It'd be like saying that there should be a separate title for people who get married in a church and people who get married through a civil celebrant.

It'd be like doing something crazy, like one drinking fountain for white people and another separate but equal one for black people.

Da Orky Man:

Helmholtz Watson:

The Welsh are supposed to be the Methodists of the British Isles, but realistically, we're as atheistic as the rest of the island. Unless, as BlackStar said, you count rugby, which I'm fairly sure some do.

As it happens, in Wales we're actually the least religious.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20678136

That's only really happened in the last generation or two though. The older generations on my welsh side were and are staunchly religious.
Historically, we've been protestant, though not really affiliated with CoE, rather more of a chapel culture with a mixture of Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist and Congregationalists.

EDIT: On topic this is great news, hoping sooner or later we'll get a law authorising it in the CoE as well. But this really is a brilliant step.

For everyone mentioning Scotland:

I think we have made it legal, but it doesn't come into effect until next year.

Jazoni89:
Second country in the world to fully legalize it, woot...! As a Friend of many Bisexual/Homosexual people, this is probably like winning the lottery for them, and i am so happy (or gay, pun intended) for them.

Now that's out of the way, legalize cannabis please government, thank you.

Wait, what? The second country to fully legalize it? I'm sorry I must have got trouble reading.

FreedomofInformation:

"Handlers?" And what exactly do you gain by referring to gay people as though they're dogs?

Yet another country joins the league. It is good to see that in this world things tend to go quicker then 50 or 100 years ago.

And to those gay people who wish to Mary in england/wales. Awesome!

Da Orky Man:

Helmholtz Watson:

Da Orky Man:

What about the older generations, how do they feel about gay marriage? The only thing I know about the Welsh is that some guy got in trouble before because he was pissed that he had to speak English to buy something.

Helmholtz Watson:

Da Orky Man:

Helmholtz Watson:

What about the older generations, how do they feel about gay marriage? The only thing I know about the Welsh is that some guy got in trouble before because he was pissed that he had to speak English to buy something.

Depending on congregation, anywhere between the Catholic Church and Quakers. There's some variety!
Generally probably a little more accepting than rural CoE, if not necessarily urban. Probably summarised by: 'tolerant of general gay rights, possibly uncomfortable with the prospect of gay marriage in churches'.

And yeah, the Welsh do get properly protective of the language (especially archdruids - being winners of the most prestigious welsh language award in Wales and all). If you walk into some pubs in North and West Wales they'll be speaking hybridised English/Welsh, but if you order in English will switch to full Welsh and glare :D

It's all good though, because the English seem to get confused as fuck when they get across the bridge and are confronted by bilingual road signs:
Yes, all signs are like that in Wales, and yes, those are actual words and not just random collections of letters.

OneCatch :

Helmholtz Watson:

Da Orky Man:

Depending on congregation, anywhere between the Catholic Church and Quakers. There's some variety!
Generally probably a little more accepting than rural CoE, if not necessarily urban. Probably summarised by: 'tolerant of general gay rights, possibly uncomfortable with the prospect of gay marriage in churches'.

And yeah, the Welsh do get properly protective of the language (especially archdruids - being winners of the most prestigious welsh language award in Wales and all). If you walk into some pubs in North and West Wales they'll be speaking hybridised English/Welsh, but if you order in English will switch to full Welsh and glare :D

It's all good though, because the English seem to get confused as fuck when they get across the bridge and are confronted by bilingual road signs:
Yes, all signs are like that in Wales, and yes, those are actual words and not just random collections of letters.

I feel stupid for asking this but why does Welsh get this kind of care but places like North Ireland(and by extent Ireland) and Scotland seem as if they could care less about Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic? Sorry for being so off topic.

Being from the Highlands of Scotland I can tell you that I know pretty much no one that speaks Gaelic. As in I've met one person that can speak it.

The SNP, our government, wants to spend all this money giving us Gaelic signs though. Not because the people here speak it, but because they're more interested in making it look like we're quirky and different, and tourism.

Pluvia:
Being from the Highlands of Scotland I can tell you that I know pretty much no one that speaks Gaelic. As in I've met one person that can speak it.

The SNP, our government, wants to spend all this money giving us Gaelic signs though. Not because the people here speak it, but because they're more interested in making it look like we're quirky and different, and tourism.

there are about 60 thousand Scottish Gaelic speakers the strongholds of the language being out in the islands like the Outer Hebrides.

in contrast there are about half a million Welsh speakers out a population of about 3 million Welsh.

however i'm not gonna take issue with bilingual roadsigns.

"the Gaels" are "quirky and different" and i'd not have them any other way.
they are historically and culturally important.

why the hell should we aim for homogenised greyness ?...hell, why not take down Edinburgh castle and put up some nice prefab flats...hopefully we can get even closer to a communist era vassal state...our would be labour leaders certainly have the haircuts for it...

and you see this :

I DON'T EVEN CARE IF ITS MADE UP GIBBERISH...it stays...it f'ing stays dammit...

Helmholtz Watson:

OneCatch :

Helmholtz Watson:

I feel stupid for asking this but why does Welsh get this kind of care but places like North Ireland(and by extent Ireland) and Scotland seem as if they could care less about Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic? Sorry for being so off topic.

Pluvia:

I think Pluvia forgot to quote you. Anyhow, a hell of a lot more people speak Welsh in Wales than Gaelic in Scotland. I think the figure is about 25% of the Welsh population can speak Welsh.

Helmholtz Watson:

Huh? Ireland has Gaeltacht, where Irish Gaelic is a daily used language and every sign is bilingual. It's kind of a compromise solution.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked