have you ever had an experinace you can't explain.

Pages PREV 1 2

Nikolaz72:

Danny Ocean:

Do you mean:

1. Did you have an experience which you couldn't explain at the time?

2. Did you have an experience which you can't explain now?

I don't think he was that vague. I think both those are valid.

That's exactly what makes it vague. It can mean two things. Ambiguity.

There's plenty of experiences I couldn't explain when I was younger, or while I was caught in the moment, or half-asleep, or whatever. They only achieved an explanation through detachment or the acquisition of new information.

Although the second one more, as this is kind of meant to push the whole 'Unexplainable things happening to Atheists' thing, and if you can explain it, that takes a lot of the point away from it.

If we take it as the second meaning, how are we to know that a phenomenon is unexplainable? A man from 200AD would think a gun was magic. The status of these phenomena as being unknown unknowns is itself unknown. The question is ultimately meaningless.

There's no way to know if it can't be explained, and there's no significance in my being unable to explain it.

To argue otherwise would be to argue from ignorance.

Danny Ocean:
snip

Me thinks your overanalysing the whole thing. No one "really" thinks their experiences cannot be explained, just that they personally can't. Practically speaking, it's the same.

OT: I've consistently heard weird knocking coming from the walls while trying to sleep. It's definitely not the pipes or the cats (why do they run around in there anyways?), though I've never properly investigated them. For all I know, it's a bunch of goblins rehearsing for the tri-county clogging tournament!

Edit: This video seems relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

Cat got smashed into by a car years and years ago. I mean smashed not knocked. This car was going flat out and it hit my cat, and my cat flew through the air. Guy got out of his car and we both walked up to the cat expecting it to be dead. Nope, perfectly fine. Not a scratch. Vet couldn't find anything wrong with her at all.

I consider that something I can't explain.

More personally, I swear I used to see men standing in my room at night, with masks on, but whenever I'd get my parents suddenly they weren't there. Still dunno if I even saw them or if it was a trick of the light.

secretkeeper12:

OT: I've consistently heard weird knocking coming from the walls while trying to sleep. It's definitely not the pipes or the cats (why do they run around in there anyways?), though I've never properly investigated them. For all I know, it's a bunch of goblins rehearsing for the tri-county clogging tournament!

We have that in my house all the time.

It's probably rats or mice, although it could be squirrels or something else depending on where you live. You've got some critters in the walls/floors. You should look around the interior and exterior of the house to see if there's any little holes.

I want comic con once and saw a Cyberman and a Vampire hugging each other... to this day there has been no explanation

A few times in my life, I've had a dream, the dream isn't the same dream but what does connect them is that there's a point while I'm dreaming that I suddenly get a feeling of... unexistance. It's like I suddenly experienced not existing for a moment. I remember one time when I had the dream as a young boy that I ran to my parents room and had to sleep with them because it had disturbed me so badly.

I have no idea how I can experience not existing and that's why I can't explain it.

I once saw Darth Vader walking down the street one day with a pizza. Does this count?

I also had a dream where i was walking down the stairs at the gym in my old Highschool and i saw something and pushed a girl through a door and was shot by guys wearing Halloween masks. I also had a dream where i saw myself get a knife to the throat from my ex-girlfriend. These dreams i cannot explain.

I've had thoughts about taking a gun and going out and sitting at the foot of a tree and blowing my own head off. I can't really explain my suicidal thoughts or why I've had them before because i know suicide will help me in no way possible.

Never. It's funny how "the unexplainable" never happens to me. People tell me that's because I'm too rational. But that's just silly. I'm just waiting for the irrational happen. I'm like, bring it on, seriously! I'd love to see a UFO or a shiny Pikachu. But until that happens, why the fuck do I have to believe in the possibility of that happening?

I saw a voodoo type ritual in Algeria once.

This woman was supposedly possessed with multiple Jin (Muslim country, I myself am an Athiest) and this wasn't a muslim ritual, more Africa indiginous, but they seemed to know what a Jinn was and since "this type of jin is too dangerous to be removed or the girl might die" said the imam, so they sent her to Kunta kinte and his posse to have the demon restrained for a year, and this happens to the poor girl every year.

They slaughtered 1 bull, 5 goats, 10 sheep, and 10 chicken and had this woman convulsing at touches and flapping around in a blood pool that was up to my ankles (people were allowed to witness, I had to take my shoes off) and while this was all pretty funny up until that one point where the guy gestures to the "possessed" woman to come to him -and she's still thrashing around at this point- after the hand gesture she stood up in a very unnatural way and it sent cold shivvers along my body that were so intense that I almost classified it as pain.

Everyone there saw it and after an almost simultanious explosion of "WTF!?!?! faces" a few people decided to leave instantly, I stayed obviously but I didn't see anything of that sort after and when I questioned the guy after the ritual while they were donating all the -cursed- meat to charity he wouldn't give me a direct answer as to what I saw and insisted I stop asking.

but yeah for anyone who missed that .... red bloodied up average looging gal went from pretty much flat against the floor to a "dracula just rose out of the coffin" style movement straight to a stand and very fast.

up until this day I'm trying to figure out what that might've been and how so many peeps witnessed it all at once from various angles and all still proceeded to kak their pants

****EDIT****

OH!!!!!! and once I saw the grim reaper near city in london where they killed and quartered william wallace (Braveheart lol) I was epicly drunk and on the verge of passing out on the bench when I asked it for the time ..... I don't think it was really the grim reaper because I find it hard to imagine he has a cockney accent LOL

Yes, quite a lot actually.
For instance, I can feel some sort of force pulling me towards the earth right this very second.

And this one time, one of my friends had me pick a card from a deck, and after shuffling it back in he managed to pull my card back out of the deck without ever having looked at it.

In my first week of middle school, one of the kids ran up and punched me in the crotch. Still have no explanation for that.

Seanchaidh:
Sometimes I think I see a spider out of the corner of my eye and then when I look it isn't there. I do not have a complete explanation for why this happens each time. I know that the line between perception and hallucination is often a bit blurry, but that is not a complete explanation-- just a damn good reason to assume that these phantom spiders aren't actually spiders. These events are very infrequent, and I have absolutely no idea why they happen when they happen and not other times. I simply don't have the information necessary to figure out exactly what is going on. It is enough to be justified in believing that these events are my brain filling in a perceptual blank with a guess (and not necessarily the best guess)-- which actually happens constantly but usually in ways that don't seem contrary to reality. It is more useful to suspect that there is a spider and verify that there isn't than it is never to suspect a spider and only accidentally find out that there is (naturally, the utility of suspecting spiders goes down the more apt you are to do so-- it is not good to think that spiders are constantly crawling all over you unless they actually are.) The principle is that some amount of false positives which lead to further and more detailed investigation can be better than having false negatives even if that makes the initial perception less accurate. It can be a tradeoff worth making if it leads to more alertness.

I have the same thing going on in my mind except that mine is with cats. I don't quite understand the phenomina but I usually explained it as stress hallucinations.

God'sFist:

Seanchaidh:
Sometimes I think I see a spider out of the corner of my eye and then when I look it isn't there. I do not have a complete explanation for why this happens each time. I know that the line between perception and hallucination is often a bit blurry, but that is not a complete explanation-- just a damn good reason to assume that these phantom spiders aren't actually spiders. These events are very infrequent, and I have absolutely no idea why they happen when they happen and not other times. I simply don't have the information necessary to figure out exactly what is going on. It is enough to be justified in believing that these events are my brain filling in a perceptual blank with a guess (and not necessarily the best guess)-- which actually happens constantly but usually in ways that don't seem contrary to reality. It is more useful to suspect that there is a spider and verify that there isn't than it is never to suspect a spider and only accidentally find out that there is (naturally, the utility of suspecting spiders goes down the more apt you are to do so-- it is not good to think that spiders are constantly crawling all over you unless they actually are.) The principle is that some amount of false positives which lead to further and more detailed investigation can be better than having false negatives even if that makes the initial perception less accurate. It can be a tradeoff worth making if it leads to more alertness.

I have the same thing going on in my mind except that mine is with cats. I don't quite understand the phenomina but I usually explained it as stress hallucinations.

That sounds a bit more pleasant than mine. ^^

Though, it tends to be so brief as not to be really unpleasant anyway.

Unexplained experiences are just that - unexplained. this merely means that we dont know how to explain it, not that there is no explanation.
Now that the disclaimer is out of the waym lets get on with it.
This is kinda standart one, but i saw this way before the whole UFO craze even began here. I was stupid as a kid and looked at the sun or more precisely around it. Thing is, i saw things flying around the sun, you know sort of similar like how elexctrons travel around the atoms core, but back then i didnt knew how to decribe it. Saw that couple times, never saw again. it wasnt solar flares, there wre multiple (think like 10) at the same time and they went around for minutes.

Now for a more down to earth experiences. there was an abandoned construction of a 6 storeys (spelling?) hotel nearby where i used to live. being kids that we were, we of course explored it and played in it. Hide and seek was great in the thing for example. We even gave it a name - ghost house. you see where im going with this. but lets backtract a bit and start at the beginning with information i found out later and explained some thigns i saw in there that i didnt udnerstand back then (but not all).

The house was abandoned because there was no legal owner. or rather, none that would live long enough. the history was such: the first person who owned the place started building it. dissapeared without a trace. but many peopel did back then, we were breaking off soviet union. second owner bought the land from local authority, not sure why he didnt do anything with it, but he dissapeared quite quickly afterwards as well.
So a third owner eventually appeared, this one decided to do something. by that point the house was starting to fall apart from age and weather (when you dont evne have a roof rain and snow does not keep your house in good condition) so he hired a crew to clean it up. Now what happened afterwards was in a form of rumors, so believe it or not - your choice, but apperently while cleaning the top floor one of the workers got a hearth attack and fell off (there were no ralings from balconies and such built yet). the cleaning up effort stopped the next day and never continued as far as i know.
he also hired a crew to clean up the surounding land, they cut everything down, drove all the grass trees (at this point it took so long trees grew up) and bushes and moved it all away. it was pretty much dead land after the work and it took them couple days. the next day it stayed clean, and the one after that it had some sort of plantlife springing up. Now while that does not sound strange yet, it did if you saw the plants like i did. they were large (as in you cant wrap your palm around it) hollow sticks, with no leaves and spikes on thier sides. they were higher than me, certainly above 2 meters. i know for certain they werent bamboos, heck, bamboos cant even survive in this climate, but i dont know how to describe it well. It looked similar to this, but much bigger.
So the crew came back and cleaned them, only for these things to spring back up in couple days (though not as high this time). they gave up after that. since the land was full of them, they were growing everywhere.
I had the pleasure of spectating this in a timely matter since the place was on my way to school so i would see the house at least twice a day even if i didnt come back to it afterwards with friends.
No idea what happened to the house now, havent been there for two years and last time i visited the place the thing was walled in behind non-seethrough wall and can no longer get inside there.
Another event worth mentioning there is that Bums used to live in there, however after they burned to death TWICE there the rest of the bums didnt dare going there anymore.

Now onto the real reason we called it ghost house - ghosts. I have to say, i dont believe in ghosts, but i cannot explain what i saw there either. there were multiple instances, and ill get to them now, thank you for being patient enough to read this far.

First occurence was when we were walking around the place and got to the basement (the thing was wierd, in the basement it had a large pool of water in the middle of it, where the drains from the rain actually lead the water in (as in the system was made to do this) so it was always full of water and when it froze over in winter we used to slide on it, much better than a nearby lake where you can always fall in and dont go back up). SO we were walking there when we saw something moving. we had flashlights that day but the thing was... black. it was like a shadow you cant see though, as if somone was castnig a shadow there, but our flashlights didnt make it go away. needless to say we got scared and ran away.

Second occurrence has happened upstairs, i dont remember which floor right now but i think it was 3rd or 4th. we were looking for a place to hide while one guy was counting when we saw it. this was before the house was cleaned up (see history above), and it was full of bricks falling and chipping of the walls and whatnot. the house was really falling apart and unsafe but we were kids and didnt knew that back then. And then we saw it - a floating brick. yes, as cheesy as it sounds. a brick was flaoting in the air slowly moving towards us. it wasnt falling or anything, it was floating at the same height more or less and slowly moving forward. we stood there baffled for couple what felt minutes but whos counting till the guy that is supposed to search for us actually did came up and saw it too and stopped. we sort of looked at eachother and understood. we didnt play at that house for a few days after this. Id say we ran out of there but we were running around scared or not really, and i dont really remember any fear associated with this, just amazement. could be shock.

Third occurence was with little substance. we were throwing rocks into the pool downstairs from one of the outside windows. jsut because we could. when suddenly we heard noises. so we stopped and listened (we were me and one girl). the sound was identical to us throwing stones, like echo or something. and then we saw it, rocks fell into the pool, from the direction that was rooms inside the place. we left swiftly, but thinking about it it could have been another person inside doing this.

And last occurence has happened in the pool area as well. we were doing something outside near the windows and i cant remember what now, but then suddenly one of the friend shouted to look inside. there was that same shadow we saw at the first occurence i mentioned, inside the pool, moving forward. it didnt displace the water as it moved, as if it wasnt actually in the water. friends ran and i didnt stick alone either, so my curiuosity wasnt satisfied.

And these are the reasons i, as a non-believer in ghosts, still call this place "ghost house".

Sleekit:

one of the linesmen out on a job ripped the whole silica glass fuse assembly off a pole top and slapped the whole thing down in the middle of the assembly hall at work.

it had melted but hadn't blown (across all three phases).

now a lot of people didn't know what that meant but the "time served" craftsmen did and our eyes were like dish plates.

it meant a vast amount of current, creating a phenomenal amount of heat had been drawn through those fuses and not only that but over a lengthy time period and in a ramped and controlled way because otherwise the fuses (or others further down the line) would simply have popped and stopped the current flow.

you're talking around 1000-1500 C to melt silica glass.

meaning you're talking raising a fuse to 1000-1500 C and it NOT blowing (which is almost unfathomable in and of itself).

times 3.
<...>
the fuses were tested multiple times by various people and found to still be electrically intact inside their melted silica glass casings.
<...>
this story ties into something people from the UK might have heard of: most of these occurrences took place around the lines connected to a very large switching/substation and overhead lines hub that connected most of central Scotland to the power stations on the Forth estuary.

Im no electrician but even i know that to melt a tri-phase youd need a massive amount of energy. question is how did the lines managed to supply that wattage to begin with though? wouldnt it be limited by how much the transformer allowed "into" the lines? or was that powerful enough?
BUt then if its the main HUB lines then i guess they are.

Nikolaz72:

My first theory was that, always sleeping on the second floor with my window open allows me to hear further and better than the rest. But if it 'were' hunters it'd be within hearing distance of the ones belowfloors aswell, because anything outside of a mile or two's radius would be within short distance of a town (Where you are not allowed to carry around rifles)

Sound sometimes travel very strangely. It could be that you were just in the right position for the wind to carry the sound over or something.

Danny Ocean:

If we take it as the second meaning, how are we to know that a phenomenon is unexplainable? A man from 200AD would think a gun was magic. The status of these phenomena as being unknown unknowns is itself unknown. The question is ultimately meaningless.

Were not. this was meant to post experiences that you cant explain, not that are unexplainable at all.

I can't explain as
"I have no idea what that was about."? If so, then yes.
Or as
"I it must have been god/aliens/tooth fairy."? If so, the no.

Would "the very concept of existence" be an acceptable answer?

Either way, the closest thing I can think of in my personal life is this weird creaking sounds that occurs occasionally in my bedroom and bathroom that only I seem to hear. It must be a poltergeist playing tricks on me.

Relish in Chaos:

Ha! You win, as far as I'm concerned.

My hypothesis is that it's all just a dream, and there's only one dreamer dreaming up all these minds and bodies and species, we are the kosmos experiencing itself and the kosmos is going, universally, from mind to mind across individuals, species and the vast gulfs of space: "what the fuck?".

But what do I know? NOTHING!

:D

ShipofFools:

Relish in Chaos:

My hypothesis is that it's all just a dream, and there's only one dreamer dreaming up all these minds and bodies and species, we are the kosmos experiencing itself and the kosmos is going, universally, from mind to mind across individuals, species and the vast gulfs of space: "what the fuck?".

That sounds like Berkeley's view, more or less. Well, the 'wtf?' is an addition. And I suppose yours is a bit more pantheist (or maybe panentheist, depending on the details) though you might prefer not to call it any kind of '-theist', and that's fine too-- 'sjust a label :)

Seanchaidh:

ShipofFools:

Relish in Chaos:

That sounds like Berkeley's view, more or less. Well, the 'wtf?' is an addition. And I suppose yours is a bit more pantheist (or maybe panentheist, depending on the details) though you might prefer not to call it any kind of '-theist', and that's fine too-- 'sjust a label :)

I don't know who Berkeley is, but I'll check him out, thanks man.

And I don't like to label myself, but I also don't like to label myself as label-less, because then I feel way too smug.

Maybe I call my believes "Dreamism".
That has a nice ring to it, I think. What do you guys think, cool name?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked